Do Wrestlers Kick Out of Finishers Too Often?

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator

Comments

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "it can work when u save it for certain situations"
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes.

Look at Cena.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "it can work when u save it for certain situations"

This.

I grew up during the days where guys never kicked out of finishes and this practically always led to guys winning with moves over than their finisher.

Surprise finishes like roll ups and small packages are lost in the game today.
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes they kick out too often. Finishers shouldn't be used so often and when they connect, it should be a wrap. So when you finally see someone kick out a finisher, it'll be a big deal.

Signature moves are the ones that should be kicked out of. Save the finishers for the win.

Example, Kofi hits the S.o.S maybe they kick out maybe they don't. But when Kofi hits the trouble in paradise it should be lights out doesn't matter if your name is Cena or Heath Slater.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Imagine if ? was kicking out the Stone Cold Stunner, Jackhammer, Diamond Cutter, and Sweet Chin music on the regular..

I always felt kicking out of a finisher especially a superstars finisher should be reserved for only three occasions: took too long to cover right after hitting it, a monster youre trying to push, or at least the third (sometimes second) PPV match between equivalent rivals.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cenas cracks me up the finisher so damn weakkk
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    hell yea how the ? ? kicking out of multiple Tombstones now days when all it took was one (on a chair) to put down the ? of wrestling Hulk and not to mention it was a Tombstone from the unstoppable zombie like Taker
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    as long as it doenst happen too often, like at every ppv or something, that would be too much, y'all remember when sometimes, wrestlers would use their opponents finisher?? ? use to be ill, just the ether of being defeated but you down finishing move
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the wm 25 match between hbk and taker is the only time i really marked out after a near finish. michaels kicking out of the tombstone was an epic moment, and takers face was priceless

vlcsnap2012072621h27m40.png
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    Yes they kick out too often. Finishers shouldn't be used so often and when they connect, it should be a wrap. So when you finally see someone kick out a finisher, it'll be a big deal.

Signature moves are the ones that should be kicked out of. Save the finishers for the win.

Example, Kofi hits the S.o.S maybe they kick out maybe they don't. But when Kofi hits the trouble in paradise it should be lights out doesn't matter if your name is Cena or Heath Slater.

yes, i agree with this, secondary finishers need to be used as a finish sometimes, like how kane got the chokeslam as a main finish, but if that aint work, brought out the tombstone if he really had to. u dont really see to many secondary finishers or signature moves that look like legit match enders these days. dolph got the zig zag as a finish but ? always kick out of his secondary famouser or super kick, then u got ? like cole and lawler over there lyin like "that was close ive seen him put many away wit that one!"
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    TheBoyRo wrote: »
    y'all remember when sometimes, wrestlers would use their opponents finisher?? ? use to be ill, just the ether of being defeated but you down finishing move

Word to WCW/NWO World Tour, WWF WrestleaMania 2000 and WWF No Mercy

certain wrestlers finishers should not be kicked out of, because it kills their mystic......

now, i noticed that finishers in the 80s became common moves in the 90s to soften up the opponent. even back in the 50s and 60s, a common knee drop was a finisher, now it's a move EVERYONE does just the same as a punch.

i saw a match on a VHS tape with Gorilla Monsoon vs. The Mongolians, and one of the Mongolians got the pin on Gorilla with a double knee to the back from the middle rope (top rope moves were illegal back then). Now all of those moves became common through the years with little to no affect but to land a blow/gain an advantage.

Remember the POWERBOMB? ? was the most devastating move in wrestling with Sid and Vader were using it in the late 80s and into the 90s. Vader even broke a dudes back (legit) with it, and then the 90s came along and the cruiserweights in WCW were doing powerbombs at least 4 times a match as set up moves. ? , even Tommy Dreamer was chokeslamming people in ECW, until Brian Lee got in his ass. Before Brian Lee, 9-1-1 was crushing people with the chokeslam. But the chokeslam was never really a finisher, more like a signature move, but I've seen big guys mercifully pin their opponent for the win after landing it.

I think a lot of finishers are being phased out and the next crop of finishers are going to be introduced, even if they look weak. Remember, this is an era where everything is "safe" in the ring. So dropping someone on their head with a tombstone is saved for Kane and Undertaker, and if someone kicks out, it'll be on the main stage at 'Mania.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only hogan back in day kiked outta finishers then did his and won
  • Mally_G
    Options
    and i hated Hogan because of that very reason, and the leg drop was weak. it was just the emotion of the match and the set up that made it out to be more than what it was.

I was happy when Ultimate Warrior pinned him clean, even though Hogan tried to kick out at 2.9999 and make it look like he got robbed.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Mally_G wrote: »
    TheBoyRo wrote: »
    y'all remember when sometimes, wrestlers would use their opponents finisher?? ? use to be ill, just the ether of being defeated but you down finishing move

Word to WCW/NWO World Tour, WWF WrestleaMania 2000 and WWF No Mercy

certain wrestlers finishers should not be kicked out of, because it kills their mystic......

now, i noticed that finishers in the 80s became common moves in the 90s to soften up the opponent. even back in the 50s and 60s, a common knee drop was a finisher, now it's a move EVERYONE does just the same as a punch.

i saw a match on a VHS tape with Gorilla Monsoon vs. The Mongolians, and one of the Mongolians got the pin on Gorilla with a double knee to the back from the middle rope (top rope moves were illegal back then). Now all of those moves became common through the years with little to no affect but to land a blow/gain an advantage.

Remember the POWERBOMB? ? was the most devastating move in wrestling with Sid and Vader were using it in the late 80s and into the 90s. Vader even broke a dudes back (legit) with it, and then the 90s came along and the cruiserweights in WCW were doing powerbombs at least 4 times a match as set up moves. ? , even Tommy Dreamer was chokeslamming people in ECW, until Brian Lee got in his ass. Before Brian Lee, 9-1-1 was crushing people with the chokeslam. But the chokeslam was never really a finisher, more like a signature move, but I've seen big guys mercifully pin their opponent for the win after landing it.

I think a lot of finishers are being phased out and the next crop of finishers are going to be introduced, even if they look weak. Remember, this is an era where everything is "safe" in the ring. So dropping someone on their head with a tombstone is saved for Kane and Undertaker, and if someone kicks out, it'll be on the main stage at 'Mania.

We need to start an online no mercy e fed..
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    No li
    and i hated Hogan because of that very reason, and the leg drop was weak. it was just the emotion of the match and the set up that made it out to be more than what
    and i hated Hogan because of that very reason, and the leg drop was weak. it was just the emotion of the match and the set up that made it out to be more than what it was.

I was happy when Ultimate Warrior pinned him clean, even though Hogan tried to kick out at 2.9999 and make it look like he got robbed.

No lie, in WWE Attitudd we created an 80s Hogan character and his bar literally went from deep red orange bavk to yellow when the crowd cheered for him then he legged drop my guy over n over n iverto the point I couldnt continue the match (TKO rule in effect) and kept doing it over n over repeatedly after the match was done in some epic ? glitch. I might still have it on VHS recording.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Ill fix that ahit above me when I get home...
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cenas cracks me up the finisher so damn weakkk

Yeah, it is. He needs a new move, AA should be a signature but his finisher should be something a lot better.

The STF(U) is pretty cool, though.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    F-U or attitude adjuster shoulda been a death valley driver, just looks like a firemans carry slam as is
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Warrior kicks out of 3 Savage elbow drops = amazing. I still hate that it had to be 3 and not just 1 or 2 but the drama was crazy and it for me it worked to make the match feel special.

But that's because Savage's elbow had been protected and only really kicked out of by Hogan & Warrior who were the top 2 faces in the company.

Protecting finishers is a good thing and great for drama and storytelling. Wrestlers can be heroes without being superheroes kicking out of finishes all the time like Hogan & Cena. I'd rather a guy never get to use his finisher rather than it being kicked out of.

Prostituting finishers in my opinion is even worse though. Chris Masters talked about how in the indies there are too many guys using superkicks as a finisher, in the 90s it felt like everyone in ECW used the DDT as a finisher, ? even referees were doing it. I do not like too many guys having the same move, that makes it look weak too.
  • T.Vick04
    T.Vick04 Members Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's gotten to the point that I would be shocked if a WrestleMania main event ended without a kick out. I think it makes more since for someone like the Undertaker and trying to beat him at WrestleMania.
  • Mally_G
    Options

GodGivBiz wrote: »
    No li
    and i hated Hogan because of that very reason, and the leg drop was weak. it was just the emotion of the match and the set up that made it out to be more than what

No lie, in WWE Attitudd we created an 80s Hogan character and his bar literally went from deep red orange bavk to yellow when the crowd cheered for him then he legged drop my guy over n over n iverto the point I couldnt continue the match (TKO rule in effect) and kept doing it over n over repeatedly after the match was done in some epic ? glitch. I might still have it on VHS recording.

LMAO!!!!

HOLD UP DAWG!!!! DO I KNOW YOU?!!!?

The same ? happened to me and my folks when we SIMULATED matches and recorded them. My mans said he has them in a box in storage, not sure if they still around, but that's where he last remembers them.

When that ? happened, it was about 7 leg drops outside of the ring, tossed his man back in the ring, and dropped about 15 more all in a row, no smoke break, nothing.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    No li

LMAO!!!!

HOLD UP DAWG!!!! DO I KNOW YOU?!!!?

The same ? happened to me and my folks when we SIMULATED matches and recorded them. My mans said he has them in a box in storage, not sure if they still around, but that's where he last remembers them.

When that ? happened, it was about 7 leg drops outside of the ring, tossed his man back in the ring, and dropped about 15 more all in a row, no smoke break, nothing.
    You know what that match may have bern simulated i think it was a "stables" match also.
  • Mally_G
    Options
    Yep, it was a team/stables match. they were the last two left and he basically stood over him after the 20+ leg drops until time expired

i was on another forum and someone explained games do that during simulation where if you select certain options, CAWs in certain slots on the card, time, rules, etc, and the # of matches you simulate after cutting the game on, you will get the same match every time.

I tested that theory out on Fire Pro Wrestling Returns on PS2, and dammit if that kat didn't lie.

so i assume what you did and what we did "the stars lined up" to get the same result.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes ? getting ridicules. See Rock vs. Cena part 2
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Imagine if ? was kicking out the Stone Cold Stunner, Jackhammer, Diamond Cutter, and Sweet Chin music on the regular..

I always felt kicking out of a finisher especially a superstars finisher should be reserved for only three occasions: took too long to cover right after hitting it, a monster youre trying to push, or at least the third (sometimes second) PPV match between equivalent rivals.

or a wrestlemania match...