1998-2001 Trailblazers Appreciation Thread

Options
S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
Next to the Jordan Bulls, my favorite team ever.

2 deep at every position. A young Rasheed gettin T'd up. Old head 90's stars. A young Jermaine Oneal. Bonzi!

Damon Stoudemire
JR Rider
Jim Jackson
Rasheed
Sabonis

Greg Anthony
Bonzi!
Walt Williams
Brian Grant
Jermaine Oneal

Then replaced JR, Jim, and Walt w/ 3 more OGs to get over the ? :

Pip
Detlef Schrempf
Steve Smith

Wnt to 2 straight WCF. The 2ND trip was when they went up 15 on LA in the 4th...then collpased. That 4th quarter collapse agaist the Lakers changed history. Port woulda waxed a light Indy squad in the Finals. Instead the Lakers went on to their FIRST of 3 straight titles, and Blazers shortly after entered the Jailblazers era.

Youngins may not know, but Bonzi Wells used to give Kobe WORK in the post. Smitty, Detlef, B Grant were all all stars for previous teams. And of course Arvydas Sabonis. If not for injuries and a late start in the NBA, some believe he could have been an all-time great.

Comments

• MaddRapper
    MaddRapper Members Posts: 341 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bonzi Wells was my dude I thought he woulda had a long career in the League
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Next to the Jordan Bulls, my favorite team ever.

2 deep at every position. A young Rasheed gettin T'd up. Old head 90's stars. A young Jermaine Oneal. Bonzi!

Damon Stoudemire
    JR Rider
    Jim Jackson
    Rasheed
    Sabonis

Greg Anthony
    Bonzi!
    Walt Williams
    Brian Grant
    Jermaine Oneal

Then replaced JR, Jim, and Walt w/ 3 more OGs to get over the ? :

Pip
    Detlef Schrempf
    Steve Smith

Wnt to 2 straight WCF. The 2ND trip was when they went up 15 on LA in the 4th...then collpased. That 4th quarter collapse agaist the Lakers changed history. Port woulda waxed a light Indy squad in the Finals. Instead the Lakers went on to their FIRST of 3 straight titles, and Blazers shortly after entered the Jailblazers era.

Youngins may not know, but Bonzi Wells used to give Kobe WORK in the post. Smitty, Detlef, B Grant were all all stars for previous teams. And of course Arvydas Sabonis. If not for injuries and a late start in the NBA, some believe he could have been an all-time great.

Woulda loved to see a seven game series between the 99-00 Blazers and the 01-02 Kings!!!
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    & I don't know why people constantly overlook the 04-05 Suns!!!
  • S2J
    Options
    icks86 wrote: »

My memory is fuzzy, Was that Nash, Joe Johnson, Marion, Stoudemire, etc?
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Love my squad but nothing to appreciate

Won nothing
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Imagine a prime pippen guarding kobe
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    one my alltime fav. teams. dont kno why the ? . they are not in 2K?!
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That team was deep af. Bonzi Wells was that ? . I though Reuben Patterson aka the Kobe "stopper" played for em in those years?

• T. Sanford
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »

Them & the 93' Phoenix Suns I want to see in 2K
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    marc123 wrote: »

Them & the 93' Phoenix Suns I want to see in 2K

co sign.

I have also been waiting to see the Pistons squad that won the title. where Billups was the Finals MVP.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    shouts to Jordan who called Kobe before game 7 and told to focus on base line cuts off the pick n roll when being defended by Pippen................he was so scared of Pippen getting ring number 7, he gave the necessary info for Kobe to get loose in that series. and start the dynasty
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bonzi was a tough ? .. ? was gritty and immovable
    That was a very talented squad ? was stockpiled with PFs

Damon aka herky jerky was a ? do deal with appreciates
  • S2J
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »
    shouts to Jordan who called Kobe before game 7 and told to focus on base line cuts off the pick n roll when being defended by Pippen................he was so scared of Pippen getting ring number 7, he gave the necessary info for Kobe to get loose in that series. and start the dynasty

Whoa Lol Source?
  • S2J
    Options
    Man Bonzi Wells is engraved in my head b/c my best friend in HS wanted to be that ngga.

6'1, 225, 17 yr old all muscle nh HS Coach wanted to Put him in the paint, this ngga 'No, i wanna be like Bonzi. A POWER GUARD.
  • S2J
    Options
    The amount of 90's college or NBA 'undeground' legends that passed thru there was sick. Kenny Anderosn made a stop...stacy augmon, detlef, smitty, walt the wizard williams, jim jackson...damn that ? was a old heads dream. And they had bball IQ!
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    icks86 wrote: »

My memory is fuzzy, Was that Nash, Joe Johnson, Marion, Stoudemire, etc?

Used to ? with that squad in NBA Live 05. Quentin Richardson held it down too.

I remember Bonzi in Memphis. He did well with the minutes he was given but the Suns ran over us in the '05 series while he sat out.
  • T. Sanford
    Options
    Bonzi was a tough ? .. ? was gritty and immovable
    That was a very talented squad ? was stockpiled with PFs

Damon aka herky jerky was a ? do deal with appreciates

I hated Damon Stoudamire
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mental issues held Bonzi Wells back sumthin serious, dude was so talented bruh he underachieved like crazy
  • S2J
    Options
    I blamed Pip for a while for that collapse. He was brought in for leadership and didnt hold it down, so I thoughy at the time.

That team's fatal flaw was no #1. Thy were so deep but in crunch time nobody took over. Shoulda been Sheed. Dude had evry bit of talent as GOAT PFs but had that KG unselfish flaw, even worse than KG..
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bonzi was one of the most underrated players in Blazers history. His work ethic and being lazy led to his downfall. There were games where he was giving many elite defenders problems with his slashing and ability to get to the rim.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I was just talking about the Blazers the other day but their late '80s early '90s squads. Clyde has become underrated in recent years.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    I blamed Pip for a while for that collapse. He was brought in for leadership and didnt hold it down, so I thoughy at the time.

That team's fatal flaw was no #1. Thy were so deep but in crunch time nobody took over. Shoulda been Sheed. Dude had evry bit of talent as GOAT PFs but had that KG unselfish flaw, even worse than KG..

NBA TV has a show Full Court and they asked Steve Smith about playing on those teams and asked Shaq and C Webb about playing agaisnt them. Apparently it was an open secret that the Lakers with Kobe and Shaq were going to get broken up had they lost that WCF to the Blazers. They said exactly what y'all did though the downfall of that team was not having a certified closer to take over.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    The Jail Blazers: The Worst Behaved Team In Professional Sports History

In light of the infamous Titus Young, who managed to get arrested three times in one week, we’re forced to remember other athletes who have brushed up against the law and who have managed to keep trouble close by. Professional sports are breeding grounds for ? complexes and pro athletes seem to think King Kong has got sh*t on them. The Michael Vicks and Titus Youngs of the world have proven such, letting us know that no athlete’s ineptitude is free from the justice system.

An obvious transition brings us to the Portland’s special team of past, present and future inmates: The Jail Blazers. The only team in the history of sports whose nickname derives from its constant run-ins with the law and is truly a testament to the worst behaved team we have ever seen. Such an odious dubbing doesn’t come from minor infringements or one star player acting out casually, but rather a snowball effect that has brought the Trail Blazers to their own imminent demise.

It was 2001 when Maurice Cheeks took over the coaching position. The 90s hadn’t been so kind to the Portland Trail Blazers. They were a great team with players such as Clyde Drexler running the show. They even made it to the championship only to lose to the player they passed on in the draft, having gone with Sam Bowie instead. Of course that player is Michael Jordan. It is safe to say the ghost of Sam Bowie is still casting a shadow over the Blazers.

During the 90s, the Blazers were a solid team, always a competitor in the west, but never stepping up and winning it. They were missing something that they hoped they would find in Sam Bowie as the number 2 overall pick, right before the Bulls took Jordan.

[img]http://ed_wp-content_v2.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/sheed-jail-blazers-elite-daily.png[/img]

Things haven’t been going too well for the Blazers right now either. Their number 1 overall pick, Greg Oden, couldn’t even last in the NBA and is one of the biggest busts of our time. Brandon Roy, a young talented player who showed a lot of promise had to retire at the age of 23.

But it’s not just the injuries that hurt the Blazers franchise, rather it was the dark years between 2001-2004. Maurice Cheeks took over as the head coach as Mike Dunleavy stepped away. Cheeks had the distinct pleasure of coaching some of the more talented and dysfunctional NBA players ever to walk through the Rose Garden as well as the NBA.

The notable players during the Jail Blazers tenure were: Bonzi Wells, Rasheed Wallace, Damon Stoudamire, Zach Randolph, Ruben Patterson, Scottie Pippen, Chris Dudley, Arvydas Sabonis, Darius Miles, Qyntel Woods, Shawn Kemp and Omar Cook. One would look at this roster and think to themselves – Wow, if they had it together they could actually have been a great team — but instead they acted more immaturely than any other athletes whom we can remember.

The Jail Blazers were known for doing stupid sh*t. They fought amongst themselves as well as with the public. They cursed at autograph seekers, they stole from teammates and they even threatened the lives of the staff. This was considered to be just another day at the office for the Jail Blazers. Their attitude was quite simple: To hell with this city, I’m gonna go out and get mine. The Blazers managed to fall short of any expectations, even the easiest that included representing a city that loves its team.

Let’s take a look at the most absurd group of dope smoking, wife-beating, salary-stealing NBA players in history.

Patterson: A registered sex offender who was arrested for felony domestic abuse against his wife at the time. He also attempted to ? his children’s nanny.

Randolph: Managed a DUI and punched out Patterson during practice, breaking his eye socket. He was as one of the laziest players in the NBA. The cops were even studying Randolph’s MTV “Cribs” episode because known felons appeared to be lounging at Randolph’s house.

[img]http://ed_wp-content_v2.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/zach-randolph-blazers-elite-daily.png[/img]

Stoudamire: Multiple marijuana charges, including speeding while under the influence and trying to gain access through an airport metal detector with 1.5 ounces of the drug wrapped in aluminum foil.

Woods: Marijuana charge and was also arrested for animal abuse because of participation in a dog fighting operation.

Kemp: Had to leave the Blazers mid-season to enter rehab for ? and alcohol abuse. Has fathered seven children out of wedlock (and the number is actually thought to be higher).

Wells: “They [the fans] really don’t matter to us.”

Wallace: Aside from his record for most technical fouls, he also threatened a ref after a game (Although, it was Tim Donaghy, so in retrospect…)

Jermaine O’Neal: Nothing as a Blazer, but he didn’t help matters… he went loco during the “Malice at the Palace,” so I doubt he was a saint while he was there.

Derek Anderson: The swingman was once “spotted in 2005… going through a drive-through window at McDonald’s while his team was playing a game at the Rose Garden.” <<<<<< ROFL

Darius Miles: Used the “N” word toward his coach Mo Cheeks, which Cheeks found offensive, suspended by the league for dope smoking, and is also one of the biggest wastes of ? -given athletic ability in history. He also played in that terrible movie where college students cheated on their SATs. Must have not been that hard for him to play as he probably experienced it first hand

http://elitedaily.com/sports/where-the-hell-are-the-portland-jail-blazers/