Transcendence Trailer (Johnny Depp,Morgan Freeman)

Options
lazypakman
lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCTen3-B8GU
The movie is the directorial debut of Wally Pfister, who is best known as the Director of Photography for all of Christopher Nolan's films since and including Memento, and as the winner of the Best Cinematography Academy Award in 2011 for his work on Inception. You can definitely sense his cinematographer eye in his trailer, which is filled with beautiful sweeping shots and landscapes, but the big question will be whether or not he can bring what appears to be a pretty complex story to life.

In the movie Depp stars as Dr. Will Caster, a researcher who has gained fame and infamy due to his radical work in the subject of Artificial Intelligence and what's commonly referred to as The Singularity: the moment when a computer attains consciousness. His work is so controversial that it makes him the target of an assassination attempt. With Will quickly dying from a gunshot wound, his wife Evelyn (Rebecca Hall) and friend Max (Paul Bettany) have no choice but to experiment with Will's work and try to upload his consciousness into a computer. This plan horrifically backfires, however, when the Will in the computer begins to become a much different person than he was in the real world.

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought it looked doped. I'll get that ? on redbox I guess.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    2r7rbdl.png
    CRitics gave it 13.... the audience a 97...
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doesn't look too appealing plus it was directed by a professional cinematographer (Christoper Nolan's cameraman) ..

But I guess Depp's star power might just save it from flopping or maybe not ..
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    2r7rbdl.png

TRUST NO ONE
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    2r7rbdl.png

That's not an audience review score that means that 97% of the audience on Rotten Tomatoes wants to see this movie.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked it. Thought it was a good movie.
  • MontyM.Max
    MontyM.Max Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Spoiler

He becomes brainiac in the end
    3305976-brainiac.jpg
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I fell asleep in that bih. It looks like he actually was trying to help society in his computer form but his bish, his homeboi(who always wanted to ? his ? ), the military and some mystery ? , turned on him. They ended ? up the innanet and drove society into some Communist russia and n.korea type living.

And Johnny died with his jezebel ? , I don't think I missed anything, I had a good ass nap, TWICE.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Wally Pfister's directorial debut and he's getting absolutely slated. From what I read the directing is fine, it's the script that's ruined the film.
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    The script of a film is the nucleus

No matter how good the directors or actors are ..
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    The script of a film is the nucleus

No matter how good the directors or actors are ..

This is untrue. There have been many movies with bad or borderline scripts that turned out good or even classic. Movies often get greenlit with one script in mind. That draft ends up either being a basis for the final draft of the script or discarded altogether in favor of a script that could end up being damn near completely different from the first draft when it's all said and done.

The director is the general on the set & has the power to ask for as many revisions to the script as needed to put their vision out there. No script enters a production with one draft that stays the same throughout the production. They always get revised and adjusted per the requests of the producer and director. The director's vision along with the producer's is the real nucleus of any production.

Wally Pfister is just a case of a first time director being in way over their heads with their first production. It happens quite often especially with productions of this cost and scale.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    I fell asleep in that bih. It looks like he actually was trying to help society in his computer form but his bish, his homeboi(who always wanted to ? his ? ), the military and some mystery ? , turned on him. They ended ? up the innanet and drove society into some Communist russia and n.korea type living.

And Johnny died with his jezebel ? , I don't think I missed anything, I had a good ass nap, TWICE.

But you still paid $10 to $20 to see it *shrugs*.
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    I think Depp has chosen film roles that make him sub-human with the make-up and ? , that when he takes the role of a 'normal' person, audiences aren't convinced ..

Being Tim Burton's muse for too long might have hurt his artistic credentials ..