Fair or Foul: Rich Teen Steals Liqour, Drives ? , & Crashes & Kills Four, But Receives Probation

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
Have you all been following this story? What are your opinions?

Rich Teen Kills 4, Avoids Prison Thanks To 'Affluenza'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsfZlGYRWWs

Anderson Cooper Grills 'Affluenza' Psychologist (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrMuB_oZYA0

I don't think that this is a black-and-white (no pun intended) situation, so I have mixed opinions, considering the fact that he's still a teen and all. But if a judge can sentence him, a 16 year old white kid, to probation, but the same judge can sentence a 14 year old black kid to juvie for 10 years, then something's wrong.

This whole thing, like many other cases, just points to the pink elephant in the room - our court/prison system is badly ? up: our prisons are overpopulated; our courts are racist, sexist, and classist; inmates leave prisons worse than they go in and end up going right back in; abuse and ? occurs with no ? given; innocent people are convicted and imprisoned; etc. Until we acknowledge this and do something about it, ? like this will continue to happen.

The judge needs to go though. It's not the kid's fault or the lawyer's fault that he got a slap on the wrist. It's the ? and likely racist judge's fault. A judge isn't supposed to exercise poor judgment.

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I heard this story and was shocked, not cuz of the sentence, but because I knew if it was a poorer or darker person who did this, the sentence would be much harsher. I wouldn't lock him up for a long time since he is sixteen but he stole the liquour......at a minimum, I wouldv'e given him 4 years in juve. It's enough time for him to think about his mistake but just enough to not ruin his life either.

That judge needs to go, agreed. Time for special favors to end in this country
  • Jewpac
    Jewpac Members Posts: 267 ✭✭
    Options
    Juvie is a bad idea. Every kid I know who went came out worse than when they went in.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    But if a judge can sentence him, a 16 year old white kid, to probation, but the same judge can sentence a 14 year old black kid to juvie for 10 years, then something's wrong.

This whole thing, like many other cases, just points to the pink elephant in the room - our court/prison system is badly ? up: our prisons are overpopulated; our courts are racist, sexist, and classist; inmates leave prisons worse than they go in and end up going right back in; abuse and ? occurs with no ? given; innocent people are convicted and imprisoned; etc. Until we acknowledge this and do something about it, ? like this will continue to happen.

The other day as Rex was going about his daily business, he sees some dumb young ? shootin' dice on Union St. near Troy Ave. If anybody is familiar with Crown Heights, then you know that Troy Ave is quite the busy thoroughfare and it there is a good possibly that the police could happen to come by, especially considering the Albany houses are fives blocks down the street and headquarters of the Chabad Lubavitch is a block away at 770 Eastern Parkway. Yet instill we have this dumb ? shootin dice in broad daylight, near busy steets as if they were at the Borgata in Vegas.

Let's for argument's sake everything you say about the justice system is true, the fact remains that you have a lot of stupid, ignorant, not havin' any ? whatsoever to give about life ? (e.g. the ones I saw shootin dice,) who KNOWINGLY and WILLINGLY do things that bring the police into their lives. I'm not going to complain about the inequities in American justice system as long as we as a people are doing things of our own volition are ? things to BECOME a part of the American justice system.

• blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's for argument's sake everything you say about the justice system is true, the fact remains that you have a lot of stupid, ignorant, not havin' any ? whatsoever to give about life ? (e.g. the ones I saw shootin dice,) who KNOWINGLY and WILLINGLY do things that bring the police into their lives. I'm not going to complain about the inequities in American justice system as long as we as a people are doing things of our own volition are ? things to BECOME a part of the American justice system.[/b]
    Please GTFOH with this ? ? .

So according to you, young black teens are the reason the system allows white boyz like this to get away with murder? Self hatred is serious my ? . We as a people can't do much about how racist the judicial system is. This ain't about young black folks, this is strictly about white privilege and how ? up it is.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We can do a lot about it, namely not become a part of it. If the system is as ? up, racist, classist, and is looking to put ? up under the, then why are muthafuckas so willing to their lives, freedom, and future as mercy of this "racist, classist, and ? up judicial system? That isn't coonin' my ? , it's holdin ? feet to fire and demanding that we be a bit more responsible.

In a lot of places judges are elected, we need assistant district attorneys that look like us, and we neex to partner with law enforcement onhow they patrol, protect, and prevent crime in our communities. We you're talking is that tried ass, Oh woo is me. ? are ? in the game, white folks ain't never gonna let a ? have ? , " slave mentality ? . If you want to be subjected to "inequities," in the American justice system, stop committing crimes.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree @maximize and @blackamerica first its not ? faults that the white boybgot off friotti...

But ? do need to invest more time into communicating with the judicial and political systems...being involved makes our presence acknowledgeable.
  • MF_Doomerville
    MF_Doomerville Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He was only kidding when he did it.