Over 1 Million people have signed up for Obamacare

Options
ZydecoShawty
ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in The Social Lounge
HONOLULU (AP) - The government's rehabilitated health insurance website has seen a December surge in customer sign-ups, pushing enrollment past the 1 million mark, the Obama administration says.

Combined with numbers for state-run markets, that should put total enrollment in the new private insurance plans under President Barack Obama's health law at about 2 million people through the end of the year, independent experts said.

That would be about two-thirds of the administration's original goal of signing up 3.3 million by Dec. 31, a significant improvement given the technical problems that crippled the federal market during much of the fall. The overall goal remains to enroll 7 million people by March 31.

"It looks like current enrollment is around 2 million despite all the issues," said Dan Mendelson, CEO of Avalere Health, a market analysis firm. "It was a very impressive showing for December."

The administration said that of the more than 1.1 million people now enrolled in the federal insurance exchange, nearly 1 million signed up in December. The majority came days before a pre-Christmas deadline for coverage to start in January. Compare that with a paltry 27,000 in October, the federal website's first, error-prone month.

"We experienced a welcome surge in enrollment as millions of Americans seek access to affordable health care coverage," Marilyn Tavenner, the head of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said in a blog post announcing the figures.

The numbers don't represent a full accounting for the country.

The federal website serves 36 states. Yet to be reported are December results from the 14 states running their own sites. Overall, states have been signing up more people than the federal government. But most of that has come from high performers such as California, New York, Washington state, Kentucky and Connecticut. Some states continue to struggle.

Still, the end-of-year spike suggests that the federal insurance marketplace is starting to pull its weight. The windfall comes at a critical moment for Obama's sweeping health care law, which becomes "real" for many Americans on Jan. 1 as coverage through the insurance exchanges and key patient protections kick in.

The administration's concern now shifts to keeping the momentum going for sign-ups, and heading off problems that could arise when people who've already enrolled try to use their new insurance.

"They've got the front end of the system working really well," said insurance industry consultant Robert Laszewski. "Now we can move on to the next question: Do people really want to buy this?" He also estimated 2 million will probably be enrolled this year.

The fledgling insurance exchanges are online markets for subsidized private coverage. Obama needs millions of mostly younger, healthy Americans to sign up to keep costs low for everyone. Open enrollment runs until the end of March.

Tavenner said fixes to the website, overhauled to address widespread technical problems, contributed to December's figures. But things haven't totally cleared up. Thousands of people wound up waiting on hold for telephone help on Christmas Eve for a multitude of reasons, including technical difficulties.

"We have been a little bit behind the curve," acknowledged Rep. Joaquin Castro, D-Texas, whose state has the highest proportion of uninsured residents.

"Obamacare is a reality," conceded one of the law's opponents, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., who as House oversight committee chairman has been investigating the rollout problems. However, he predicted it will only pile on costs.

"The fact that people well into the middle class are going to get subsidies is going to cause them to look at healthcare...sort of in a Third World way of do we get subsidies from the government for our milk, for our gasoline and, oh, by the way, for our healthcare," said Issa.

For consumers who successfully selected one of the new insurance plans by Dec. 24, coverage should start on New Year's Day. That's provided they pay their first month's premium by the due date, extended until Jan. 10 in most cases.

But insurers have complained that another set of technical problems, largely hidden from consumers, has resulted in the government passing along inaccurate data on enrollees. With a flood of signups that must be processed in just days, it remains unclear whether last-minute enrollees will encounter a seamless experience if they try to use their new benefits come Jan. 1.

The White House says the error rate has been significantly reduced, but the political fallout from website woes could pale in comparison with the heat that Obama might take if Americans who signed up and paid their premiums arrive at the pharmacy or the emergency room and find there's no record of their coverage.

Officials are also working to prevent gaps in coverage for at least 4.7 million Americans whose individual policies were canceled this fall because they fell short of the law's requirements. The administration has said that even if those individuals don't sign up for new plans, they can seek a waiver that would spare them from the law's tax penalty for remaining uninsured.

A few states offering their own updates have posted encouraging totals, including New York, where more than 200,000 have enrolled either through the state exchange or through Medicaid, a government program expanded under Obama's health law to cover more people. In California, a tally released Friday showed nearly 430,000 have enrolled through the exchange so far.

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20131230&id=17222320

The Republican party and it's allies (including the ones on this website) lost...

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    More people had their plans cancelled (4.7 million to 5.5 million, depending on the source you wana use) compared to one million who signed up. Out of that one million, how many signed up for Medicaid?

With even this bad news, there's worse news. Only 35% approve of Obamacare now......worse, 3.3 MILLION were expected to sign up before the end of the year according to the article.....

As an independent, how is this a win? People paying MORE for health insurance on avg now is a win for America?

• kingblaze84
    edited December 2013
    Options
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/23/cnn-poll-heath-care-law-support-drops-to-all-time-low/

CNN Poll: Health care law support drops to all-time low

Support for the country's new health care law has dropped to a record low, according to a new national poll.

And a CNN/ORC International survey released Monday also indicates that most Americans predict that the Affordable Care Act will actually result in higher prices for their own medical care.

Only 35% of those questioned in the poll say they support the health care law, a 5-point drop in less than a month. Sixty-two percent say they oppose the law, up four points from November.

Nearly all of the newfound opposition is coming from women.

"Opposition to Obamacare rose six points among women, from 54% in November to 60% now, while opinion of the new law remained virtually unchanged among men," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said. "That's bad news for an administration that is reaching out to moms across the country in an effort to make Obamacare a success."

According to the survey, 43% say they oppose the health care law because it is too liberal, with 15% saying they give the measure a thumbs down because it is not liberal enough. That means half the public either favors Obamacare, or opposes it because it's not liberal enough, down four points from last month.

Sixty-three percent say they believe the new law will increase the amount of money they personally pay for medical care, which may not be a good sign for a law known as the "Affordable Care Act."

--Why do you think so many Americans are against being forced to pay for health insurance Zydeco?
  • ZydecoShawty
    edited December 2013
    Options
    So, you're complaining about ? ass health insurance policies being cancelled but at the same time you're also complaining about people being able to buy better, affordable, health insurance policies? I swear, you're position makes absolutely no ? sense to me.

And you continuing to post polls and asking absurd, partisan, Republican talking point questions is pointless when a) Mitt Romney didn't win the Presidency to repeal the law and b) healthcare enrollment #'s increasing, even against RELENTLESS Republican opposition. The ? government got shutdown in Republican opposition of the law and the law still didn't get repealed.

What's the ? point?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, you're complaining about ? ass health insurance policies being cancelled but at the same time you're also complaining about people being able to buy better, affordable, health insurance policies? I swear, you're position makes absolutely no ? sense to me.

And you continuing to post polls and asking absurd, partisan, Republican talking point questions is pointless when a) Mitt Romney didn't win the Presidency to repeal the law and b) healthcare enrollment #'s increasing, even against RELENTLESS Republican opposition. The ? government got shutdown in Republican opposition of the law and the law still didn't get repealed.

What's the ? point?

This guy will tell you with the quickness that he's not Republican and they're all the same while perusing Republican websites posting talking points directly submitted by the Koch Brothers. It's weird because every time i look up an issue this guy brings up, it's only these extremely slanted overly focused on Obama's failure kooky websites running with these stories that are steeped in opinion and slanted, leading polls. I mean, this guy is rooting for people to keep ? plans that literally let people die rather give them proper preventative and corrective care. The cognitive dissidence is astonishing. These dudes on this forum jump on the smallest hickup make it look like the titanic sunk and took a city with it in the whirl pool that created while sinking to the center of the earth. Mitt people came up with it and the fools are so against everything, they didn't even realize that they had a descent plan. Talking about working against your own self interest in the name of idiotology. Massachusetts not complaining and each state was left to handle it according to their states unique way of doing things, or not if your a damn fool who runs back begging for acceptance after thumping their chest and claiming dominance.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    I just wanna know, who of the MILLIONs of people who voluntarily signed up for access to quality, affordable, healthcare, was under threat of jail time by the Federal government if they didn't sign up for Obamacare since the closet Republican/Independent is saying those people are being forced to sign up for healthcare against their will? I didn't even sign up for the $60 a month bronze PPO package from Blue Cross of Texas yet and the FEDS ain't never threaten me with jail time if I don't sign up for Obamacare by Jan 1st. What the ? am I missing here?
  • kingblaze84
    Options

What's the ? point?

I can tell you're not educated on this topic. Many people had GREAT healthcare plans that they LIKED, and it's being taken away from them. There are people with cancer who had insurance that took care of them, for prices they could bear. Many of these people had their plans cancelled for plans they CANNOT AFFORD for deductibles that are HIGHER.

If I'm so wrong, why do only 35% of Americans support this law? And few people will appreciate your bold face LIE in that the plans on the website are affordable and better. With all the plans being cancelled, many are finding the plans offered on the website UNAFFORDABLE. Do some research and you will see why only a pathetic 35% of Americans approve of the law, and why Obama's poll numbers are in the trash can now.

WE DON'T BELIEVE YOU YOU NEED MORE PEOPLE
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I'm so wrong, why do only 35% of Americans support this law?

im gonna say that because a third like it, a third wish it would go away, and a third wish that it would do MORE, as in they dont like it because its not liberal enough. I say 1 out if 3 is pretty good considering those odds.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    I just wanna know, who of the MILLIONs of people who voluntarily signed up for access to quality, affordable, healthcare, was under threat of jail time by the Federal government if they didn't sign up for Obamacare since the closet Republican/Independent is saying those people are being forced to sign up for healthcare against their will? I didn't even sign up for the $60 a month bronze PPO package from Blue Cross of Texas yet and the FEDS ain't never threaten me with jail time if I don't sign up for Obamacare by Jan 1st. What the ? am I missing here?

LOL again, you're looking silly in your own thread. Since when did anyone say they would go to jail if they didn't have health insurance? Obama the sellout ? sold us out to healthcare insurance companies by forcing Americans to purchase health insurance or face huge fines. The bronze plans are horrible by the way cuz they have huge yearly deductibles and you would still have to pay for huge costs in many cases lol.

Forcing people to pay for things they may not be able to afford is no way to win the hearts and minds of Americans. I doubt people will be buying much stuff next year, knowing they will be forced to purchase often expensive health insurance policies next year.
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2013
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

What's the ? point?

This guy will tell you with the quickness that he's not Republican and they're all the same while perusing Republican websites posting talking points directly submitted by the Koch Brothers. It's weird because every time i look up an issue this guy brings up, it's only these extremely slanted overly focused on Obama's failure kooky websites running with these stories that are steeped in opinion and slanted, leading polls. I mean, this guy is rooting for people to keep ? plans that literally let people die rather give them proper preventative and corrective care. The cognitive dissidence is astonishing. These dudes on this forum jump on the smallest hickup make it look like the titanic sunk and took a city with it in the whirl pool that created while sinking to the center of the earth. Mitt people came up with it and the fools are so against everything, they didn't even realize that they had a descent plan. Talking about working against your own self interest in the name of idiotology. Massachusetts not complaining and each state was left to handle it according to their states unique way of doing things, or not if your a damn fool who runs back begging for acceptance after thumping their chest and claiming dominance.

So CNN.com and Yahoo.com are rightwing kooky websites now? LOL wow.....and here AGAIN you show your breathtaking ignorance. You keep calling the plans that were cancelled weak and ? but meanwhile, Americans polled over and over LIKED THEIR PLANS because IT TOOK CARE OF THEM.

You're ignoring the many people out there with cancer, multiple sclerosis and other horrible diseases that appreciated their plans and hate the fact the plans were cancelled to make way for more expensive plans they can't afford. I have clients who have told me these stories at my job and they have no reason to make this up. My homegirl who makes ten bucks an hour saw the cheapest plan being $330 a month for her and her two kids LOL......people should be excited about this law huh? Keep being ignorant though, the polls back up what I'm saying.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options

What's the ? point?

So CNN.com and Yahoo.com are rightwing kooky websites now? LOL wow.....and here AGAIN you show your breathtaking ignorance. You keep calling the plans that were cancelled weak and ? but meanwhile, Americans polled over and over LIKED THEIR PLANS because IT TOOK CARE OF THEM.

You're ignoring the many people out there with cancer, multiple sclerosis and other horrible diseases that appreciated their plans and hate the fact the plans were cancelled to make way for more expensive plans they can't afford. I have clients who have told me these stories at my job and they have no reason to make this up. My homegirl who makes ten bucks an hour saw the cheapest plan being $330 a month for her and her two kids LOL......people should be excited about this law huh? Keep being ignorant though, the polls back up what I'm saying.

Who are those polls done sponsored by? We all already know how weak these polls are. They did so well guessing the president. Who is being polled? People who have and are using the new plans or random people on the internet? Stop acting like your homegirl isn't going to get subsidies. Most people didn't know their plan was wack because they didn't use it yet, and i would like to know what kind of cancer those cancer patients had because they aren't all the same. Are you telling me these people aren't going to be cared for under the ACA?

Even still, $330 for a family is pretty cheap and i say again, she's not coming out of pocket for that, or at least not much, and i hope you're not deterring her from getting insurance for her kids, because that's as immoral as that sketchy site that you linked to in your sig.. It's actually been projected in a recent report that the plants are actually cheaper then projected by the CBO and will save the country even more do to a lesser need for steep payouts. Everybody knows those who can pay will pay and it will balance out even further once more join and shady medical continue to be eliminated.

• ZydecoShawty
    Options

What's the ? point?

I can tell you're not educated on this topic. Many people had GREAT healthcare plans that they LIKED, and it's being taken away from them. There are people with cancer who had insurance that took care of them, for prices they could bear. Many of these people had their plans cancelled for plans they CANNOT AFFORD for deductibles that are HIGHER.

If I'm so wrong, why do only 35% of Americans support this law? And few people will appreciate your bold face LIE in that the plans on the website are affordable and better. With all the plans being cancelled, many are finding the plans offered on the website UNAFFORDABLE. Do some research and you will see why only a pathetic 35% of Americans approve of the law, and why Obama's poll numbers are in the trash can now.

WE DON'T BELIEVE YOU YOU NEED MORE PEOPLE
    Bruh, I was a victim of one of those wack ass plans through my job. The enrollment online brochure made it seem like I had complete coverage but when I tried to use that ? , that's when I officially found out that I was sorely responsible for paying ALL medical charges and only had three doctor visits for an entire year!

I found all of this out on my own through experience of trying to use my so called 'health plan' while at the same time my so called 'insurer' would still be collecting their $80 bi-weekly premiums from my check without covering a single ? medical charge I had incurred.

I dropped that garbage ass plan immediately. I had signed up for that plan in October of last year and the plan didn't take affect until the beginning of this year. Just think of all the money I've lost paying premiums for a health coverage plan that didn't cover a single ? thing.

Basically, I was just paying all this money to an insurance company for a worthless card with my name on it that said I had health insurance through them.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/comment/6430126/#Comment_6430126

Uh, you telling this to someone who already openly admitted on this board that he had one of those so called "GREAT" healthcare plans through my job which I made the decision to cancel. I mean, we already had this discussion before in your wack ass thread in October.
  • ZydecoShawty
    edited December 2013
    Options

LOL again, you're looking silly in your own thread. Since when did anyone say they would go to jail if they didn't have health insurance? Obama the sellout ? sold us out to healthcare insurance companies by forcing Americans to purchase health insurance or face huge fines. The bronze plans are horrible by the way cuz they have huge yearly deductibles and you would still have to pay for huge costs in many cases lol.

Forcing people to pay for things they may not be able to afford is no way to win the hearts and minds of Americans. I doubt people will be buying much stuff next year, knowing they will be forced to purchase often expensive health insurance policies next year.

So, in your mind, Obama is evil for selling people who can afford to buy insurance out to private-sector insurance companies but Republicans Governors are righteous for denying poor people in their states the right to healthcare by not expanding medicaid under Obamacare? Once again, your position makes absolutely no ? sense to me. And again, when did the notion of paying a fine became far worse than doing jail time? Cause ? can get a whole lot worse for people driving automobiles without insurance or a license compared to an Obamacare penalty. But that's not a problem with you right cause it's always been the law right?

• kingblaze84
    edited December 2013
    Options

What's the ? point?

Who are those polls done sponsored by? We all already know how weak these polls are. They did so well guessing the president. Who is being polled? People who have and are using the new plans or random people on the internet? Stop acting like your homegirl isn't going to get subsidies. Most people didn't know their plan was wack because they didn't use it yet, and i would like to know what kind of cancer those cancer patients had because they aren't all the same. Are you telling me these people aren't going to be cared for under the ACA?

Even still, $330 for a family is pretty cheap and i say again, she's not coming out of pocket for that, or at least not much, and i hope you're not deterring her from getting insurance for her kids, because that's as immoral as that sketchy site that you linked to in your sig.. It's actually been projected in a recent report that the plants are actually cheaper then projected by the CBO and will save the country even more do to a lesser need for steep payouts. Everybody knows those who can pay will pay and it will balance out even further once more join and shady medical continue to be eliminated.

LOL I took off the site off my sig after looking more detailed at it....as far as people "not knowing their plans was wack", many of these people did use the insurance. What part of it took care of them dont you understand? Medical care, chemo, etc was paid for and people liked the service. Now many of those plans are cancelled and the prices they see on the website is ridiculous. And forcing a woman making ten bucks an hour with TWO KIDS IN NY to pay $330 a month is NOT cheap LOL. Dog.....that's with subsidies. There's a REASON the law is unpopular.

To be fair, the very poor among us ($11K or lower per year workers) will have it good under this law. I never denied that part. But the avg worker isn't making $11K a year or less. You forget the cost of living is higher now so it's not like social security taking 30 or 40 bucks from each paycheck. Some people may be signing up for the law to avoid the huge fines but people are not happy seeing the prices or the huge fines for not purchasing insurance. You keep calling the old companies/plans shady and yes many were but that's all the reason to not force us to sign up to these companies lol smh
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2013
    Options

So, in your mind, Obama is evil for selling people who can afford to buy insurance out to private-sector insurance companies but Republicans Governors are righteous for denying poor people in their states the right to healthcare by not expanding medicaid under Obamacare? Once again, your position makes absolutely no ? sense to me. And again, when did the notion of paying a fine became far worse than doing jail time? Cause ? can get a whole lot worse for people driving automobiles without insurance or a license compared to an Obamacare penalty. But that's not a problem with you right cause it's always been the law right?

No one forces you to buy a car.....and I was not given a choice to be born. I never said Obama was evil but he definitely sold us out to the highest bidder, and in this case, it was the health insurance companies, the really powerful ones at least. Fifty million people are uninsured in this country and one million sign up. OOOOO WOOOW. Come on man.....FINING a person if they don't BUY expensive, high ass yearly deductible health insurance??

Really??
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options

No one forces you to buy a car.....and I was not given a choice to be born. I never said Obama was evil but he definitely sold us out to the highest bidder, and in this case, it was the health insurance companies, the really powerful ones at least. Fifty million people are uninsured in this country and one million sign up. OOOOO WOOOW. Come on man.....FINING a person if they don't BUY expensive, high ass yearly deductible health insurance??

Really??

Riiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggttttttttttttt,

And we all know the Republican party are the ones fighting hard to get those people healthcare.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    This is a slight of hand bail out for the insurance industry they are now able to force you to take a ? plan at a higher rate then before. While some people will benefit from this that never had coverage more that actually had decent coverage are being forced to give it up for horrible piecemeal packages that cost more. I keep hearing that these old policies were ? but then I see the new policies offered and they seem ? to me. I worked administering benefits f or a number of companies back in the day so i am not talking out the side of my ass. Plans that were before covering vision and dental in the package are now being forced to separate and offer less for more how is that better for the average person honestly???
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Less than a third of a percent of the nation? Fail...
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options

Really??

Riiiiiiiiiiggggggggggggggttttttttttttt,

And we all know the Republican party are the ones fighting hard to get those people healthcare.

There are fifty million uninsured and in fact, many sources say 35 million will remain uninsured because many people won't be able to afford the mandate. Republicans need to come up with a plan on their own, I won't disagree with you on that. I'm an independent and I'm willing to diss both sides......the UNaffordable Care Act is not the right way though, not efficient and it's too expensive. People have to save for retirement, bills, housing, and student loans, forcing people to buy expensive insurance is no way to make a law work.
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [img]https://scontent-a-mia.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1507156_779016778779196_2040351260_n.jpg[/img]
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    Meroe wrote: »

Supplying 50+ million uninsured in a total of 3 months? That's ? absurd and you know it sir.

• twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20131230&id=17222320

The Republican party and it's allies (including the ones on this website) lost...

? all of America lost. but you too ? ' blind to see it.,..in due time though.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »

? all of America lost. but you too ? ' blind to see it.,..in due time though.

Kats keep following for the okie doke it is not Democrat versus Republican all those kats are the same team it the Rich/Elite/Nobles/Ruling Master Class versus The Peasant/Poor/Common/ Servant Class who have been tricked into giving their wealth and lives to a bunch of people that will never give a ? about them. Not understanding that none of these government heathens on either side of the aisle are any different from one another...
  • Melqart
    Options
    Meroe wrote: »

Supplying 50+ million uninsured in a total of 3 months? That's ? absurd and you know it sir.

I don't remember saying 50 million would make be a success, now did i?

when you factor in the fact they said themselves that the goal was 3.3 million, not to mention the approval rating is in the dumps on top of not even making 50% of their projected quota, it's not that much of stretch to call it a failure... @zydecoshawty
  • ZydecoShawty
    edited January 2014
    Options
    @Meroe

Have the argument both ways if you like, whatever you need to do to make yourself happy be my guess, the law is still going to be here at the end of day and enrollment #'s are going to just keep increasing. Making a ? argument for complete control of congress as well as the U.S. presidency in 2014 and 2016 to take healthcare away from millions of people is a ? stupid idea as well.
  • Melqart
    Options
    Lol, making me happy? You sound way more emotionally invested in this than I do. :)