Global poll: America is the most hostile country in the world

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in The Social Lounge
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/patrick-goodenough/and-country-posing-greatest-threat-peace-2013-ends

And The Country Posing The Greatest Threat to Peace as 2013 Ends is …
December 31, 2013 - 1:03 AM

(CNSNews.com) – The past year witnessed bloodshed in Syria and Iraq, turmoil in Egypt, anarchy in Central Africa, threats by a nuclear-armed North Korea and Chinese military posturing, but as 2013 ends a global poll finds that the country seen as representing the greatest threat to peace today is ... the United States.

Not only did the U.S. top the list with an aggregate of 24 percent, but the runner-up threat country, Pakistan, was way behind at eight percent. China was third at six percent, followed by North Korea, Iran and Israel at five percent each.

The survey of opinions across 65 countries by pollster Win/Gallup International recorded some of the strongest anti-American sentiment, predictably, in countries widely regarded as rivals, led by Russia (where 54 percent of respondents said the U.S. was the greatest threat to peace) and China (49 percent).

But the view that the U.S. poses the greatest threat to peace was also strongly held in some purported U.S. allies – such as NATO partners Greece and Turkey (45 percent each), and Pakistan (44 percent),
which is also a top recipient of U.S. aid.

--Damn not good

Comments

• kingblaze84
    Options
    Sad to see we've learned nothing from Vietnam. All these wars have brought us is more debt and more money spent overseas that should be spent here
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    alright, but let's be honest: this is kind of a bogus poll. it's more about criticizing the US than about saying who the actual greatest threat to peace is
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options
    kai wrote: »
    and don't think that this hostility we seem to show other countries doesn't affect the citizens and make them hostile towards one another too. people are not nice here

I didn't really appreciate your comment until today. I thought about how long we've been at war and how many innocents died in Iraq and Afghanistan and how desensitized to it all we are now. We don't think of violence as anything abnormal, even when it involves the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people worldwide. We lost 2000 people in 9/11 and have probably killed one million since then smh......

Worst is that we're so desensitized, we Americans think nothing of hurting and killing anyone else, including other Americans. It's hard to tell your fellow American violence isn't the answer when our govt perpetuates this all the time.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    alright, but let's be honest: this is kind of a bogus poll. it's more about criticizing the US than about saying who the actual greatest threat to peace is

It's really more about other nations' views on who they think is the biggest aggressor in the world now and sadly America came out on top. Otherwise, can we really disagree on the poll results?? I wouldv'e voted for Israel but considering America is the one giving Israel the bombs and bullets, I can't really say the poll is wrong.
  • janklow
    Options
    It's really more about other nations' views on who they think is the biggest aggressor in the world now and sadly America came out on top.
    no, it's really not, because you're not polling heads of state, you're polling random dudes... and that's why the poll is more about criticizing the US than anything else

also, Israel may act ? but unless we're working on some fifth-dimensional chess level, their "threat to peace" is essentially localized

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hammer of the whole earth. Jeremiah saw this 2600 years ago. But you don't hear him though. Amen.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options
    It's really more about other nations' views on who they think is the biggest aggressor in the world now and sadly America came out on top.
    no, it's really not, because you're not polling heads of state, you're polling random dudes... and that's why the poll is more about criticizing the US than anything else

also, Israel may act ? but unless we're working on some fifth-dimensional chess level, their "threat to peace" is essentially localized

So what if they're polling random people? Isn't that how polls are done? Usually the polls are responsible and represent the wider population and CNSnews is known for being a great news source. Pakistan came in second with 8 percent, while America had 24% of the vote, despite the fact that the American population is 5% of the world, that should tell all of us something.

Also, I think America came out on top for not just the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but America's attempt to bomb Syria, when most of the world didn't want that. Only because of outrage all over the world, including America, did the war in Syria not happen.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Hammer of the whole earth. Jeremiah saw this 2600 years ago. But you don't hear him though. Amen.

America is Babylon huh
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. Middle East
    2. America
    3. Haiti

in that order.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »
    1. Middle East
    2. America
    3. Haiti

in that order.

I understand the first two parts of the world but why is Haiti third? Haiti has one of the lowest murder rates in the Caribbean, if not the western hemisphere. And no way is Haiti more hostile a country then Israel or North Korea lol
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    to me the concept of being loyal to a nation state is out dated but honestly america is far from the worst/evil nation on earth it's simply the most powerful so haters are going to hate. When the western powere were doing there thing there was bloodshed all over the ? planet THEY fell the ? off so now they want to ? hate

china is an ambitious upstart trying to reclaim their ancient position and russia is just waiting to pounce they keep the nations around them on lock so really they are just ? hypocrites
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    to me the concept of being loyal to a nation state is out dated but honestly america is far from the worst/evil nation on earth it's simply the most powerful so haters are going to hate. When the western powere were doing there thing there was bloodshed all over the ? planet THEY fell the ? off so now they want to ? hate

china is an ambitious upstart trying to reclaim their ancient position and russia is just waiting to pounce they keep the nations around them on lock so really they are just ? hypocrites

I get what you saying but as far as being aggressive and bloodthirsty America by far wins this one right now. It doesn't make America evil (although many worldwide do believe this, with good reason) but we're more then just powerful, we support oppression and imperialism more then any other nation does. For everything China does, they're not in 12 year wars in Afghanistan and they haven't killed around a million civilians the way America has lately. China also doesn't support apartheid the way America currently does in Israel. What China is doing in Tibet though is troubling, but it's nowhere near the level of America's crimes. It's not just people in the western world who believe this either, see any random protest against America worldwide. Most of those flag burnings ain't in Sweden....
  • zombie
    edited January 2014
    Options

I get what you saying but as far as being aggressive and bloodthirsty America by far wins this one right now. It doesn't make America evil (although many worldwide do believe this, with good reason) but we're more then just powerful, we support oppression and imperialism more then any other nation does. For everything China does, they're not in 12 year wars in Afghanistan and they haven't killed around a million civilians the way America has lately. China also doesn't support apartheid the way America currently does in Israel. What China is doing in Tibet though is troubling, but it's nowhere near the level of America's crimes. It's not just people in the western world who believe this either, see any random protest against America worldwide. Most of those flag burnings ain't in Sweden....

The only reason those other nations are not still outright imperlist is because america won't allow it or because they don't have the military power for example china would love to take taiwan but they can't america will not allow it, china supported the war in sudan even through it caused a genocide they also support north korea and it's starving of it's people.

All these nations in europe can point the finger and say america is so hostile but they don't have the burden of power that america has.

WE make the world safe for our allies so that they can point their ? fingers and say that's the bad guy.

All things considered if you check history i think it's fair to say that america has acted with the most morality of any nation that has it's level of power.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love how these finger pointers had no issue using the NSA's data before Snowden gave them a platform to complain some more. I mean hey, America stomping through a country that harbored a ? that blew holes through our most sanctified buildings shouldn't get a response. I guess we shouldn't have seen WW2 to the end either and dropped the bomb on the ? . Unfortunately, Afghanistan was far more backwards then imperialist japan (which was fairly advanced with archaic methods) so it's taking longer, but it's not like we're out of Japan. I see no issue with helping to build a country up after you leveled it. It worked for Japan. Many actually do want us there unlike the Taliban who obviously want to continue subjugating women and blowing up buddhist statues. It's not like the pointless Iraq was ended. What other War is directly America involved in that it shouldn't be? I suppose Russias support of Syria makes them the good guys. Seems a bit more grey then that.
  • janklow
    Options
    So what if they're polling random people? Isn't that how polls are done?
    it might help if you, you know, looked at what i actually said: no, it's really not, because you're not polling heads of state, you're polling random dudes... and that's why the poll is more about criticizing the US than anything else

look, i understand the actual argument that America is the most aggressive and all that, but THIS is not a poll making a serious, nuanced argument. it's a poll asking the man in the street "what country makes me ANGRY" and you see the results you get.
    Also, I think America came out on top for not just the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but America's attempt to bomb Syria, when most of the world didn't want that. Only because of outrage all over the world, including America, did the war in Syria not happen.
    if America came out on top because of a bombing that did NOT happen, i would think that would indicate a problem with the polling. but maybe that's just me.

For everything China does, they're not in 12 year wars in Afghanistan and they haven't killed around a million civilians the way America has lately.
    i am pretty sure "killed around a million civilians" isn't something America has done either, since even the sources that lay maximum civilian deaths at America's door have to play the "well, the US created the CIRCUMSTANCE that caused these deaths" game
    China also doesn't support apartheid the way America currently does in Israel. What China is doing in Tibet though is troubling, but it's nowhere near the level of America's crimes.
    it's not just Tibet. but consider this: if America supports Israel and you think that's bad, you're basically saying that China IS Israel in this scenario, and still not as bad as America because...

FuriousOne wrote: »
    I love how these finger pointers had no issue using the NSA's data before Snowden gave them a platform to complain some more.
    it's also furiously ? because many of these countries are high-level spying countries themselves and would have no issue spying in such a manner if they had the means to do so.

this does not negate an argument against the spying, to be sure, but i have to roll my eyes when France or Israel start to ? and moan about espionage. cut the ? ? , gentlemen.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i find these polls funny.

people always skip over the part where....if any other country was in our spot they would do whatever they needed to do to protect their interests all over the world
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    i find these polls funny.

people always skip over the part where....if any other country was in our spot they would do whatever they needed to do to protect their interests all over the world

I find this poll troubling though, only because it gives ammunition to terrorists around the world who can easily point to this poll and say how widespread their anger is at America. And America supporting apartheid in Israel isn't something I consider protecting our interests. We mostly get hate and trillions in debt for our borderline evil foreign policy. This constant war mongering around the world isn't helping us pay down the debt that's for sure. If you mean protecting the interests of the corporate elite, then I'd agree with you.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    it might help if you, you know, looked at what i actually said: no, it's really not, because you're not polling heads of state, you're polling random dudes... and that's why the poll is more about criticizing the US than anything else

look, i understand the actual argument that America is the most aggressive and all that, but THIS is not a poll making a serious, nuanced argument. it's a poll asking the man in the street "what country makes me ANGRY" and you see the results you get.
    if America came out on top because of a bombing that did NOT happen, i would think that would indicate a problem with the polling. but maybe that's just me.

For everything China does, they're not in 12 year wars in Afghanistan and they haven't killed around a million civilians the way America has lately.
    i am pretty sure "killed around a million civilians" isn't something America has done either, since even the sources that lay maximum civilian deaths at America's door have to play the "well, the US created the CIRCUMSTANCE that caused these deaths" game
    China also doesn't support apartheid the way America currently does in Israel. What China is doing in Tibet though is troubling, but it's nowhere near the level of America's crimes.
    it's not just Tibet. but consider this: if America supports Israel and you think that's bad, you're basically saying that China IS Israel in this scenario, and still not as bad as America because...

I love how these finger pointers had no issue using the NSA's data before Snowden gave them a platform to complain some more.
    it's also furiously ? because many of these countries are high-level spying countries themselves and would have no issue spying in such a manner if they had the means to do so.

this does not negate an argument against the spying, to be sure, but i have to roll my eyes when France or Israel start to ? and moan about espionage. cut the ? ? , gentlemen.

Good points about the espionage, yes other nations do it. But the way America spied on others is beyond outrageous, even for espionage. Hacking into peoples' emails worldwide is NOT legal and is definitely a very hostile and aggressive act. Imagine if the Russian govt was found to be hacking into your emails lol....you can imagine why so many people worldwide look at America sideways and with suspicion now.

Regarding the deaths of civilians in Iraq, well, we did create the circumstances that led to roughly one million civilians who have been killed over there. Saddam kept that place under control and while he was a bad man, it was up to the people of Iraq to take him out. Taking him out has led to a complete disaster over there and Al Qaeda is now OPENLY taking over towns in Iraq. The war in Iraq has made America look like a bloodthirsty empire hellbent on taking resources by force, same with the neverending war in Afghanistan. Whether you want to admit these things or not, the poll speaks for itself.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options

The only reason those other nations are not still outright imperlist is because america won't allow it or because they don't have the military power for example china would love to take taiwan but they can't america will not allow it, china supported the war in sudan even through it caused a genocide they also support north korea and it's starving of it's people.

All these nations in europe can point the finger and say america is so hostile but they don't have the burden of power that america has.

WE make the world safe for our allies so that they can point their ? fingers and say that's the bad guy.

All things considered if you check history i think it's fair to say that america has acted with the most morality of any nation that has it's level of power.

America has acted with the MOST morality of any nation with its level of power? LOL HAHAHA you have GOT to be ? kidding me.

America has been extremely aggressive with its power since its empire was born bro. You call supporting apartheid in South Africa moral? You call the imperialist war in Vietnam moral, a war that killed about 400,000 civilians, all for the sake of stopping the spread of communism? America killing leaders all over the world who won fair elections? Non stop butchering of people worldwide since as long as we can remember?

Don't get me started on America's neverending support of the evil Israel apartheid state. Too many atrocities to name, paid for by American taxpayer dollars. SMH at Obama for continuing this. China does have ? hands in Sudan true but nowhere near the blood America has the last ten or twenty years. Don't forget America is the largest shipper of arms worldwide, so whose really the one with ? hands? I can go on but it's too sad to do so.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good points about the espionage, yes other nations do it. But the way America spied on others is beyond outrageous, even for espionage. Hacking into peoples' emails worldwide is NOT legal and is definitely a very hostile and aggressive act. Imagine if the Russian govt was found to be hacking into your emails lol....you can imagine why so many people worldwide look at America sideways and with suspicion now.

Regarding the deaths of civilians in Iraq, well, we did create the circumstances that led to roughly one million civilians who have been killed over there. Saddam kept that place under control and while he was a bad man, it was up to the people of Iraq to take him out. Taking him out has led to a complete disaster over there and Al Qaeda is now OPENLY taking over towns in Iraq. The war in Iraq has made America look like a bloodthirsty empire hellbent on taking resources by force, same with the neverending war in Afghanistan. Whether you want to admit these things or not, the poll speaks for itself.

the chinese are hacking eerything an cant be stopped....they are overlooked.

china had 2mill people just to watch the internet...thats like everyone in philly watching what every one posts on here.
  • zombie
    edited January 2014
    Options

America has acted with the MOST morality of any nation with its level of power? LOL HAHAHA you have GOT to be ? kidding me.

America has been extremely aggressive with its power since its empire was born bro. You call supporting apartheid in South Africa moral? You call the imperialist war in Vietnam moral, a war that killed about 400,000 civilians, all for the sake of stopping the spread of communism? America killing leaders all over the world who won fair elections? Non stop butchering of people worldwide since as long as we can remember?

Don't get me started on America's neverending support of the evil Israel apartheid state. Too many atrocities to name, paid for by American taxpayer dollars. SMH at Obama for continuing this. China does have ? hands in Sudan true but nowhere near the blood America has the last ten or twenty years. Don't forget America is the largest shipper of arms worldwide, so whose really the one with ? hands? I can go on but it's too sad to do so.

america has done some evil things but america being the worlds most evil nation ever is a myth and it is spread by people who don't have a proper understanding of history. Do you know how many genocides the british empire committed ? or how many africans were systematically killed in belguim congo or how many innocents were slaughtered by imperial japan don't get me started in russia.

heavy is the head that wears the crown but america wears it better than any other nation ever has
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mean while the other countries are all raiding and pillaging Africa...
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We are the paid enforcers of the world at this Point and China or Russia would love that top economic spot. If we keep approaching the rest of the world the way we do our own citizens we are gonna lose that spot. Why allow the expensive, hypocritical and pretentious to do what these other superpowers will do for cheaper with out the big facade. We got the position we have based on the ideology that we were providing Freedom tempered with Liberty and a side of opportunity to the rest of the world. When the truth is our Government is doing all the same ? on the sly we oppose many of these other countries for...
  • Life_Is_Shit
    Life_Is_Shit Members Posts: 23
    Options
    I'd like to visit America