What Needs to Be Done to Inspire Blacks to Entrepreneurship and Creating Generational Wealth?

Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
Back in the olden days, Jews figured out rather quickly that the Christendom didn't give a ? about them. They were subjected to endless persecution, porgrams, and the local monarch telling them at a moments notice, "Y'all gotta get the ? up out of here. As a result, Jews for the most part didn't go into vocations that bound them the land, ? like agriculture, raising animals, and building ? . You also have to factor in that laws often prohibited Jews from going into trades. As a result Jews were left with these options, go into scholarly endeavours, become merchants, or go into banking and finance. These were skills that if they forced to leave their homes, where ever they ended up they would have a jobs.

The same was true us to certain extent, due to Jim Crow (out of necessity,) we were forced to have our own economy, as a result be patronize those businesses, and we were economically viable, but something happened during the Civil Rights Movement, for some reason, we abandoned our own economy to go do business with whites folks. If you listen to Dr. King's Mountain Top speech, he's talking about using the power of the black dollar. Malcolm was on the path to maintaining our economic independence. The Panthers were running a breakfast program and they realized the importance of African Americans relying on African Americans.

The way I see it is, that as a people, subconsciously we feel that all of the battles have been fought and the war has been won. There's this overwhelming feeling of complacency in the community. ? feel as if that just because they drink out of any water fountain, take a ? in any bathroom, and be served food at any lunch counter there ain't ? to be done. However, there's a gang of ? to be done, namely we have to make the schools that service or neighborhoods on par with those in white neighborhoods, we have to demand that our neighborhoods became safe, and have to embrace entrepreneurship and going guiding our children into going into white collar professions such as medicine, the law, accounting, finance, technology, etc. For those who don't desire to go into these professions, we should encourage them (especially men,) into becoming teachers. This complacent attitude that has to change, because it's not getting us any where. ? need to understand there's more at stake than having a "a job with the city making $25 an hour and having good benefits.

Comments

• twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Nice sermon my ? ...but honestly, ? the hood . I ain't wasting no more time trying to school dumb ? that look up to Cheif Keef and Lil B wit half they naked ass ? showin'...n/h...... it's a wrap...Every man for his damn self from here on out. See dem young ? on the other side of life my ? . Now if you wanna talk about addin' to the downfall of the hood, I'm all for that ? ...Let's destroy these ? is my lobby. ? tryna help em.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You talkig some ? now dude. Banking and finance is one of the least understood concepts in the hood.

Part of it is the lack of education on the subject. Another part of it is that banking is considered like biology or something as people don't see a inherent need for it. Sure people have bank accounts but they don't do much more than just let the banks hold that money. I'm guilty of that too honestly. I been working on learning more about how it works.

The lack of financial education in the poor areas are the main issues.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The right people need to come together and organize something behind close doors. We should start small first. Network with other similar-minded black people in the area and get started in your neighborhood or city.

The easiest way is to go through the churches since religion is everything to most of us, and that's the only place I can think of that black people with money populate consistently.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the oldheads need to cleanse the hood of negative old heads. that way the youngins have nothing to look up to.

also old heads need to know when they moment in the sun is up and stop living like a careless youngin.

when i was young i thought young....now that im older i need to think older.

once we remove a majority of negative stereotypes then we can start our work.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until the black family structure is fixed or made more whole everything we do will be like rolling a ball up a hill.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    jono wrote: »
    You talkig some ? now dude. Banking and finance is one of the least understood concepts in the hood.

Part of it is the lack of education on the subject. Another part of it is that banking is considered like biology or something as people don't see a inherent need for it. Sure people have bank accounts but they don't do much more than just let the banks hold that money. I'm guilty of that too honestly. I been working on learning more about how it works.

The lack of financial education in the poor areas are the main issues.

yes you are....that's why I keep offering to school you bruh

we really underestimate the power of controlling our own money
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GOAT OP

but i think we are slowly making progress.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The right people need to come together and organize something behind close doors. We should start small first. Network with other similar-minded black people in the area and get started in your neighborhood or city.

The easiest way is to go through the churches since religion is everything to most of us, and that's the only place I can think of that black people with money populate consistently.

the Boule did that ? already and look how ? up the black community has become because of that.

? said Church? niggga ? church!!!....they too busy doin this ? in church...LOL

dancing-in-church-2-o.gif

2NpJqmF.gif

laughing-4.gif

725773.gif

• UnderMiSensi
    UnderMiSensi Members Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    "What Needs to Be Done to Inspire Blacks to Entrepreneurship and Creating Generational Wealth?"

At this point nothing can be done, it's a lost cause. Let the dead bury the dead
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of this mindset

poa.jpg
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great OP, co-sign 100%.

Progress is being made but the problem is that the entrepreneurship seems to be mostly coming from Caribbeans and Africans entering the country. I know cuz I see African and Caribbean themed mom and pop stores popping up here in NY but not enough African-American based ones. There is money in the Black community because pound for pound, Blacks are the biggest consumers in America, but we don't own enough of the wealth. Once family structure is fully in place, more progress can be made but I'll say it again, too many horrible parents are ? things up for the next generation. I'd rather see Black people create less kids then our people be broke and create a whole new cycle of poverty and kids they can't afford. It's dragging us down
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    twatgetta wrote: »
    Nice sermon my ? ...but honestly, ? the hood . I ain't wasting no more time trying to school dumb ? that look up to Cheif Keef and Lil B wit half they naked ass ? showin'...n/h...... it's a wrap...Every man for his damn self from here on out. See dem young ? on the other side of life my ? . Now if you wanna talk about addin' to the downfall of the hood, I'm all for that ? ...Let's destroy these ? is my lobby. ? tryna help em.

I feel what you saying but we gotta keep trying. The ones with ice cream cone tats on their faces and 5 kids by five baby daddies are done, I agree but we gotta keep trying on the other ones. I'm willing to say though that maybe 30% of our community is ? and no help will save them. Many of them could be ? babies for all we know, some won't or can't learn to improve
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop nuttin in hoodrats
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell people, and put guilt in them, that to stop being so selfish and pass something down to their kids. Too many of these parents still want to be like college students, but not enough of them want to leave something that doesn't depreciate in value.
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    I think we as blacks sort of lost our way along the ride. You go back to the reconstruction era up to the Great depression, black upward mobility was at it's highest. This is not to say it was perfect, jim crow laws had been instituted, institutional racism was prevailant, and there was no black representation politically. With that said, we created many of our own towns with our own businesses, we created black hospitals, banks, schools, etc. Blacks looked after each other via social groups and social aid clubs. Prior to government assistance, black people would joint the social aid clubs and fraternal orders, their dues would contribute and be used for burial expenses, medical care, and unemployment benefits.

While the black public schools were subpar, there were some great privately funded schools in black communities. Black business owners, black farmers all contributed to the upward mobility of blacks. What happened? I dont really know. With the jim crow thing and the government restricting blacks from really taking part in the free market, it caused us to get left behind. And when we finally kicked down the doors, I think a lot of us got lost trying to be a part of white society. We wanted so badly to work for white man, we didnt strive to work for ourselves and build real wealth. The government also placed many road blocks in the way of blacks truly getting a foot hold into the larger economy. For example, in the 50's and 60's, white farmers were given large bank loans to expand their industry, while black farmers where prohibited from being able to get those govt subsidized loans. This squeezed the black farmer out of business. In school, we are told to become doctors or lawyers, but what about businessmen?

We'll be ok though. We just need to get back to taking care of our own and building our own.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    a child learns how to tie his shoe from a family member, same for a childish adult.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blacks support black establishments and black establishments do right by their customers. Black establishments buy, support, and invest in other black establishments. Black establishments support and invest in predominately black schools. At least 80% of Black parents become more involved in their children's education and community. Black parents take your children to a bank. Involve them in community service.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    What Needs to Be Done to Inspire Blacks to Entrepreneurship and Creating Generational Wealth?
    dont kno.

but its sure not goin to get done discussing it over a internet message board.
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    financial education needs to begin and be mandatory from grade school all the way through college
  • Lustchyld
    Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
    I think we as blacks sort of lost our way along the ride. You go back to the reconstruction era up to the Great depression, black upward mobility was at it's highest. This is not to say it was perfect, jim crow laws had been instituted, institutional racism was prevailant, and there was no black representation politically. With that said, we created many of our own towns with our own businesses, we created black hospitals, banks, schools, etc. Blacks looked after each other via social groups and social aid clubs. Prior to government assistance, black people would joint the social aid clubs and fraternal orders, their dues would contribute and be used for burial expenses, medical care, and unemployment benefits.

While the black public schools were subpar, there were some great privately funded schools in black communities. Black business owners, black farmers all contributed to the upward mobility of blacks. What happened? I dont really know. With the jim crow thing and the government restricting blacks from really taking part in the free market, it caused us to get left behind. And when we finally kicked down the doors, I think a lot of us got lost trying to be a part of white society. We wanted so badly to work for white man, we didnt strive to work for ourselves and build real wealth. The government also placed many road blocks in the way of blacks truly getting a foot hold into the larger economy. For example, in the 50's and 60's, white farmers were given large bank loans to expand their industry, while black farmers where prohibited from being able to get those govt subsidized loans. This squeezed the black farmer out of business. In school, we are told to become doctors or lawyers, but what about businessmen?

We'll be ok though. We just need to get back to taking care of our own and building our own.

good post I agree 100%
  • Maximus Rex
    Sion wrote: »
    More black kids going to college & deading this whole idea that "you dont need school nonsense" I HATE that ideology SMMFH cuz rich kids & ? who go to ivy leagues can say that ? - you ? cant. As much as ? ? on school on here I really believe that education is what separates the rich from the poor.

I once heard Bloomberg and Colin Cowherd of The Herd radio show say this, it isn't necessarily about the educate, but if you have the ability to get things done and do you have ideas. With that being said, black people are so ? in the game educationally that going to school needs to be encouraged among out youth. They need to go to college for the exposure to different things and make the connections that they may need later in life.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    College is nothing more than an investment. It is not needed to succeed nor should every kid be encouraged to go.

Before anybody goes to college they should 100% know how this college degree is going to help them towards their goals, and how they're going to pay for tuition. If they don't have definitive answers for both of these circumstances, then I would suggest they follow a different path.

Without the correct preparation (via doing the research and being extra particular with what college you choose and what you major in), college can turn out to be a waste of time and money.

... As an alternative, there are trade schools, there are some jobs that pay well enough without requiring a degree, and there is always the military and entrepreneurship.
  • Maximus Rex
    ... As an alternative, there are trade schools, there are some jobs that pay well enough without requiring a degree, and there is always the military and entrepreneurship.

Shouldn't a kid who wants to own his own business be encouraged to go to college to learn such things as marketing, accounting, and develop his social and business network?

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    goat thread. Nearly everything that needed to be said has already been said. I've always thought that good education and good parenting has and always will be the foundational building blocks to success. And we clearly need to improve in both areas.

I know that many disagree, but I also think that free market economics can also promote entrepreneurship, small businesses, competition, etc. - all of which can support American Blacks. Our current system especially isn't helping.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    I also think that black folk need to be smart about the number of children that they want to have. No disrespect, ut there are black parents or mothers who are having too many kids whom they can't support, never mind themselves. Why have five kids if you can only support two? I see many black families with huge ass families or a poor single mother who continues to have children, and I just look in amazement. Some of these people would be so much better off with less children. Isn't a child like a $150,000 life expense? I myself am in relatively good shape, but that's only largely because I'm one of only two children. My parents were too smart to have more than two problems all at once. Then again, I'm willing to bet that a good chunk of children born today are accidents. So would condoms and contraceptives help this "overpopulation" problem? You can't just put all the blame on single mothers. It sounds selfish to have less kids, but it's only practical and gives you more options to amass wealth and then maybe later have more kids.

I think that the welfare system should be looked at too. Does the welfare state do more damage than it does good? Reminds me of the infamous "somebody needs to pay for all my children" lady.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqjZ0KZCa0