So nobody cares about Net Neutrality?

Options
blakfyahking
blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304049704579320500441593462?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304049704579320500441593462.html

WASHINGTON—A U.S. appeals court on Tuesday threw out federal rules requiring broadband providers to treat all Internet traffic equally, raising the prospect that bandwidth-hungry websites like Netflix Inc. NFLX -2.24% might have to pay tolls to ensure quality service.

The ruling was a blow to the Obama administration, which has pushed the idea of "net neutrality." And it sharpened the struggle by the nation's big entertainment and telecommunications companies to shape the regulation of broadband, now a vital pipeline for tens of millions of Americans to view video and other media.

For consumers, the ruling could usher in an era of tiered Internet service, in which they get some content at full speed while other websites appear slower because their owners chose not to pay up.

So basically our court system is willing to allow a monopoly over internet access to exist without regulation

Ya'll cool with paying extra fees?

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    we haven't really had time to ramp up the outrage yet
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is something many people aren't paying attention to. They likely won't notice until the fuckery begins and they lose access to something.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    This is something many people aren't paying attention to. They likely won't notice until the fuckery begins and they lose access to something.

yes unfortunately, and I'm probably one of them. Like many important yet complicated issues in America, I think that many people don't fully understand the issue and its importance.

honestly, I'm all very much for net freedom, but not "net neutrality," especially if it's government enforced. If you don't like what your net company is doing, then cancel your subscription? You're not entitled to their service, and the company has rights to do whatever it wants as long as it's legal. If said company is shady, then the consumers have the power and right to support and subscribe to a better and fairer company. That's how competition and free markets work right?

• blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    jono wrote: »

yes unfortunately, and I'm probably one of them. Like many important yet complicated issues in America, I think that many people don't fully understand the issue and its importance.

honestly, I'm all very much for net freedom, but not "net neutrality," especially if it's government enforced. If you don't like what your net company is doing, then cancel your subscription? You're not entitled to their service, and the company has rights to do whatever it wants as long as it's legal. If said company is shady, then the consumers have the power and right to support and subscribe to a better and fairer company. That's how competition and free markets work right?

normally I would agree with the concept of letting a company do what it chooses to do

but in this case it's a monopoly (really an oligopoly) of companies that control majority of the internet access for everyone

that's why net neutrality is important because without it you set the stage for these few firms to extract unnecessary fees.............internet access has morphed into a very important source of communication and information flow

not enforcing net neutrality actually would hurt competition and free markets IMO
  • JustAProgrammer
    JustAProgrammer Members Posts: 1
    Options
    People simply need to understand what exactly net neutrality is (the concept) and what role the F.C.C. plays in it. Obviously this was a blow for everyone except the big guns at the top. The FCC has a few things they can do: try appealing to the supreme court, completely drop net neutrality and try something new or try to reclassify the broadband providers as telecom services... since that's is how the FCC was originally trying to regulate them. In all honesty, the FCC is in a tough spot. They do have the power to regulated the internet, but they couldn't do it the way they were intentionally trying to doing it. They simply can't regulate broadband Providers the same way telecom services are regulated. The internet should remain open; it's the core of innovation. Internet providers (the few we have) can now have their customers and larger companies (i.e. Google , particularly Youtube, NetFlix, etc.) pay a fee to have access to sites quicker. I used Netflix and Youtube as an example since they take up a large share of Internet users.Verizon stated this ruling will not hurt the consumer, but come one, who is going to believe that one? This isn't a complete loss for the FCC. They now have a chance to come up with a new method since the whole battle of net neutrality was a rather tedious task.
    Eh, but what do I know?