America is # 12!!!

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in The Social Lounge
America now has the 12th most free economy in the world when it comes to social mobility.....and all this time I thought America was the greatest nation in the world (I haven't really thought that in about 3 years but the thought popped up in my head now and then)

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/why-america-s-“economic-freedom”-is-now-worse-than-estonia-s-200514086.html

In case you haven’t heard, America is going down the drain. There’s even data to prove it.

Several surveys that measure prosperity and business conditions have shown the United States slipping during the past few years. The latest is the Heritage Foundation’s “index of economic freedom” in 186 countries, which is grim reading for anybody who believes the old slogan and still thinks We’re No. 1!

We’re actually No. 12, if you believe the Heritage rankings, which define economic freedom as “the fundamental right of every human to control his or her own labor and property” — in plain English, the ability of ordinary people to get ahead.

According to the Heritage methodology, the United States has underperformed in five areas during the past few years: fiscal freedom, government spending, monetary freedom, financial freedom and property freedom. In general, that reflects a government that spends too much, overregulates businesses and consumers, and gets too involved in the private-sector economy (in the opinion of Heritage analysts).

Comments

• kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Is anyone surprised by this? As ridiculous as the cost of living is these days and the sorry state of economy, I didn't think we were that far back. I hope America can make a comeback cuz I know very few people who want to retire here anymore
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not that I think the US is the hands down greatest country in the world, being the greatest country in the world doesn't mean you have to be 1 at everything. As a matter of fact, it would be impossible for a country like the US to be 1 at everything.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, there are better ways to show how ? the U.S's wealth inequality has become. I'm honestly surprised the U.S ranks that high lol.

And wait a second, who list is this -

ed States slipping during the past few years. The latest is the Heritage Foundation’s “index of economic freedom” in 186 countries, which is grim reading for anybody who believes the old slogan and still thinks We’re No. 1!

We’re actually No. 12, if you believe the Heritage rankings,

HERITAGE Foundation?!?! ? , do you know who these people are? One of the progressive knocks against Obamacare is that the MANDATE was first proposed in a HERITAGE Foundation article in '89! If the Heritage Foundation is ranking the U.S on "Economic Freedom" trust me you want them to be like "139th" or some ? because I can guarantee you their idea of "#1" would be a America w/ Flat Tax, 0% Corporate Taxes, and NO MINIMUM WAGE.
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    Options
    I'm surprised that 3 of the top 6 are ex-British colonies
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not a surprise at all especially when the government wants to control everything and or have a hand in everything how can any come up.
    Bring back outsourced jobs and start taxing these fortune 500 companies and that would help something.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Not that I think the US is the hands down greatest country in the world, being the greatest country in the world doesn't mean you have to be 1 at everything. As a matter of fact, it would be impossible for a country like the US to be 1 at everything.
    pretty much this, guys

• FatterThanKat
    Options

Outside of military might what is America number one at?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

It doesn't have to be number one at anything. The fact is the US is top 10 - 20 in pretty much everything. Also when you look at things like this, the countries ahead of the US are usually smaller, have a lot fewer internal matter to deal with, and far less international responsibility.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

We're definitely # 1 in debt and # 1 in printing monopoly money that will eventually ruin the economy. I guess that's being on top of something.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options

It doesn't have to be number one at anything. The fact is the US is top 10 - 20 in pretty much everything. Also when you look at things like this, the countries ahead of the US are usually smaller, have a lot fewer internal matter to deal with, and far less international responsibility.

I agree and while those are all somewhat positive attributes, America can be # 1 again in more categories if it stops spreading itself so thin around the world with foreign policies that end up costing much more money then it's worth. America seems so mediocre now, I know some who are living the American dream but most I know are just making it month by month. This isn't the America I used to know. People in ever increasing numbers are relying on the black market or food stamps to make a living, even those who already have jobs.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/record-20-households-food-stamps-2013
  • FatterThanKat
    Options
    This is actually a really important thing for the US to be number 1 in, considering that the greatness of the nation is alleged to be due to the fact that if you work hard in the United States you can become rich by your own merits. The US might not have to be number one at everything, but if they aren't even the best country for hard working entrepreneurs anymore then that idea is a lie.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options
    kai wrote: »

shouldn't you at least be number one at something besides having the most people in prison tho? how are you gonna be the greatest yet not number one in any of the things that matter?

Thanks for bringing up how America is number 1 in prison population....it's an embarrassment that America claims poverty on so many levels but magically has the money to lock up close to 25% of the world's population. Even worse is that most people are in prison for non-violent drug offenses, most of that for possessing or selling marijuana. It's time the feds look at marijuana the way Colorado, Washington and Seattle look at it.

Considering Obama admitted marijuana is no more dangerous then alcohol, then I don't see why him and others still treat marijuana as a Class One addictive substance (same level as heroin smh)
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options
    This is actually a really important thing for the US to be number 1 in, considering that the greatness of the nation is alleged to be due to the fact that if you work hard in the United States you can become rich by your own merits. The US might not have to be number one at everything, but if they aren't even the best country for hard working entrepreneurs anymore then that idea is a lie.

Powerful point. The reason America has fallen back on that is because the dollar doesn't have the worth it used to have, so businesses have to work all the more harder to make a profit. And sadly, the avg worker hasn't benefited much from this "recovery". The wealthy are hoarding their money not just because of greed, but because they fear how much further the dollar will drop in value. I know several business owners who have told me this.
  • janklow
    Options
    We're definitely # 1 in debt and # 1 in printing monopoly money
    per capita, though? unlikely

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    kai wrote: »

shouldn't you at least be number one at something besides having the most people in prison tho? how are you gonna be the greatest yet not number one in any of the things that matter?

You don't have to be number one in anything to be the best place to live. Again, I'm not even saying the US is the best place to live, but ya'll acting like you don't understand averages. You could come up with 20 of these categories and the US might not have the top spot in any of them. However, when you average it all out, the US could still be the overall best. And once again, I'll bring up, that sometimes it's just not possible for the US to be the top spot. A lot of the times the top spot is some Euro country that's comparable to a single state in the US.
  • kingblaze84
    edited January 2014
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    We're definitely # 1 in debt and # 1 in printing monopoly money
    per capita, though? unlikely

True I'm sure Japan would win per person but it's still embarrassing that we got 17 trillion in debt, that's beyond crazy. We're never gonna pay that money back and quality of life is only get get harder for more and more people as this debt expands. Maybe only Zimbabwe has a worse debt situation
  • Kliimaxx
    Kliimaxx Members Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    and all this time I thought America was the greatest nation in the world

How can ANYBODY think this. Some of the WORST atrocities have been done on that land

• Cunt_Lyfe
    Cunt_Lyfe Members, Writer Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, I read that upward mobility has been on the decline.

No, I'm not surprised.
  • janklow
    Options
    Maybe only Zimbabwe has a worse debt situation
    well, Zimbabwe also has many, many more issues that the US does not, so we have that
    Kliimaxx wrote: »
    How can ANYBODY think this. Some of the WORST atrocities have been done on that land
    some of the WORST atrocities have also been committed in many other countries, but typically we don't spend all day declaring how they invalidate everything about said countries like, you know, we do about the US here on the internet

• kingblaze84
    Options
    Kliimaxx wrote: »
    and all this time I thought America was the greatest nation in the world

I was being more sarcastic then anything....America has definitely fallen off, atrocities or not. I read in today's NY Daily News that the amount of people in homeless shelters in this city is at numbers even higher then the Great Depression, same with food pantry use. I can imagine what it's like in other cities now
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Black activists say Obama's State of the Union speech disgusted them.....things are bad when people are making videos like this........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L7mYg6Gt15o
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Black activists say Obama's State of the Union speech disgusted them.....things are bad when people are making videos like this........

This proves the point of blind voting based on popularity rather then positions or legitmate accomplishments. Obama was moved along the ladder because of his name and Lineage, he is part of the bloodline of the elites and had a face and name that would appease solely on face value after our Middle eastern efforts. His Presidency has been the ultimate expression of propaganda tactics on a population that has been systematically dumbed down to accept false views on what is actually real...
  • kingblaze84
    Options

This proves the point of blind voting based on popularity rather then positions or legitmate accomplishments. Obama was moved along the ladder because of his name and Lineage, he is part of the bloodline of the elites and had a face and name that would appease solely on face value after our Middle eastern efforts. His Presidency has been the ultimate expression of propaganda tactics on a population that has been systematically dumbed down to accept false views on what is actually real...

I hope to ? this pattern of voting changes as a people....it's not helping us progress as a people,we need to vote based on priorities from this point on, ? everything else
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Whie I agree that people choose who they vote for using stupid logic, I don't think that's really what won Obama the election. He won because Bush ? up so much that people were willing to pick anyone, even a black man, to avoid getting more of the same.
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2014
    Options

Whie I agree that people choose who they vote for using stupid logic, I don't think that's really what won Obama the election. He won because Bush ? up so much that people were willing to pick anyone, even a black man, to avoid getting more of the same.

Excellent point, Republicans have such a tarnished brand at this point I can't see them winning in 2016 either, even if most Americans don't like or trust Obama anymore