And black folks aint checking for hockey because

Options
whatevathehell
whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
other than the fact that aint none of us really playing but damn if this aint one of the most violent sports in the world outside of boxing/ufc..then I just dont know. The white boys at work always talking bout this ? and I checked this ? out and its unbelievable the amount of ? they get away with all the punches and ? .

Comments

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Lol @ the thought of black people ice skating. That's not G ? .
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Flyers fan here. I ? with hockey but its not for everyone. People enjoy different ? . Can you actually believe people watch UFC? That is the ? i dont understand.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Just can't get into it like that. I don't hate it, and I hear watching it live is much better than TV, but I just ain't feeling it.

Another reason it's not popular in among blacks is because the majority of blacks in this world live in warm climates where most schools don't even have a hockey team. Plus, it ain't the kinda sport you can just go to the park and play.

And I've never understood why hockey and soccer fans get in their feelings about who doesn't like those sports anyway.

If I woke up tomorrow and realized that football was suddenly less popular than hockey and soccer in the U.S., I wouldn't give two ? . Just less bandwagon casual fans to deal with. *shrug*

• bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think another reason that hockey is not popular with blacks is that the equipment cost alot of money. We could go to WalMart and get a basketball or a football for under $20.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watch it, hockey is exciting
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »
    I think another reason that hockey is not popular with blacks is that the equipment cost alot of money. We could go to WalMart and get a basketball or a football for under $20.
    Ya but the same ? got 200 for Jordans. Plus alot of black people arent struggling like that too. They all aint lower mid class or live in the hood. Climate and the acceptence of stepping out the stereotype as a black man and playing a sport that doesnt involve running and having to catch a ball is another thing.

Anyways in b4 monzille vs mikeydagawd or whatever.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    ...And then if you notice, the NBA and NFL do a fantastic job of community outreach into inner cities AND the suburbs that are really just thinly veiled marketing and development programs to teach and "condition" kids of all ages, races, and creeds to like their sports.

Which in turn increases the chances of those kids starting early and being better players and a few of them becoming NFL/NBA greats or fans in the future.

I can't remember ever seeing anything similar in the U.S. for Hockey. Even Baseball has failed to do that. The NFL and NBA aren't resting on their "laurels" as popular leagues/sports -- instead they're constantly investing in the next generation.

If Hockey wants to appeal to more than Northern/mid-western white folks that look like the cast of Roseanne, they need to follow suit.

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...And then if you notice, the NBA and NFL do a fantastic job of community outreach into inner cities AND the suburbs that are really just thinly veiled marketing and development programs to teach and "condition" kids of all ages, races, and creeds to like their sports.

Which in turn increases the chances of those kids starting early and being better players and a few of them becoming NFL/NBA greats.

I can't remember ever seeing anything similar in the U.S. for Hockey. Even Baseball has failed to do that. The NFL and NBA aren't resting on their "laurels" as popular leagues/sports -- instead they're constantly investing in the next generation.

If Hockey wants to appeal to more than Northern/mid-western white folks that look like the cast of Roseanne, they need to follow suit.

Damn yall make a hockey thread and nobody gave the only black hockey player on the IC an @? Lol jk its all good.

But ill say there are many programs across the country in nearly every NHL city going and creating inner city programs. The flyers owner ED Snyder runs a youth hockey league in philli there are programs in harlem the nhl puts money into. Hockey just doesn't get the coverage that the NBA or NFL gets so you just don't hear about it.

At the end of the day most americans white black blue whatever will never be able to play hockey or even really care about it. White the sport is mostly white hella white people live too far from a rink or just don't care. But the sport is getting more and more diverse. Popeye Jones son is a rookie who was drafted first round and playing. PK Subban is winning defensive player of the year awards and running ? in montreal. Im going to see my favorite team the flyers in long island tomorrow and they got 2 brothas on the team (simmonds and emry).

Hockey is a live sport not a tv sport. Tv doesnt capture it so im never mad when espn doesnt show much of it cause ? its a niche sport i love the game but understand its regional like the lower marion kobe. At the same time from an attendance standpoint its going toe to toe with basketball.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-selling-more-arenas-nba-225020461--nhl.html

The NHL is selling out more arenas than the NBA right now. People are going to these games and buying tickets. Im not saying every ? gotta like hockey but go to a live game once before you judge. And to ? who laugh at ? skating look at the new age of black hockey players that are really taking the league by storm. For as small in numbers as they are they are putting up points and adding more speed and aggression to the game.

Oh and let me drop this gem as well for you new ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2QZm8llvig
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i go to hockey games and got a wayne simmons jersey.

white people look at us like we crazy when we go....like black people aint allowed to like something other than what they think we should like.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't ? with hockey mainly because I watch so much basketball. It's a great sport though and the playoffs are g.o.a.t. Penguins fan here, football=basketball>soccer>hockey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>baseball
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh I didn't even know ATL had a hockey team till they moved
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used to watch hockey a lot (SJ Sharks being one of my favorite teams). Then the lockout before the lockout happened and lost a lot of interest. Every now and again I check for their games online
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    pralims wrote: »
    i go to hockey games and got a wayne simmons jersey.

white people look at us like we crazy when we go....like black people aint allowed to like something other than what they think we should like.

i moved up to a new department and told this chick i was a flyers fan the first thing she said was "whos your favorte player wayne simmons?"......smh

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't really watch hockey and I live in the State of Hockey. Just cause its kind of boring. The whole game pretty much looks the same. Dump the puck into the other end of the ice, chase after it.

It really is a rough and tumble sport tho.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The simple answer is: that ? is COLD. Hell, it's based on cold weather and ice skating. Black folk don't generally do cold weather or ice skating.

Now if it was roller hockey, that'd be different. We ? with a roller rink.

Me personally, that ? is boring in the regular season. Stanley Cup Finals are the ? , tho.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    The simple answer is: that ? is COLD. Hell, it's based on cold weather and ice skating. Black folk don't generally do cold weather or ice skating.

Me personally, that ? is boring in the regular season. Stanley Cup Finals are the ? , tho.

its not the cold its the cash. same thing with skiing and snowboarding. ? live in cold cities like the chi and nyc and so on. The biggest reason is not the cold but the price it costs to play.

• bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

its not the cold its the cash. same thing with skiing and snowboarding. ? live in cold cities like the chi and nyc and so on. The biggest reason is not the cold but the price it costs to play.

True. I just looked up the prices on some of the stuff and damn. Stakes for juniors range from $30 to $850. Sticks cost between $20 to $250. And I didn't go check out the rest of the stuff you need for hockey. I bowl and the things you need to start off is nowhere near those prices but once you start to move up it will cost a good penny, but like I said it is nowhere near hockey.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    edited January 2014
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

True. I just looked up the prices on some of the stuff and damn. Stakes for juniors range from $30 to $850. Sticks cost between $20 to $250. And I didn't go check out the rest of the stuff you need for hockey. I bowl and the things you need to start off is nowhere near those prices but once you start to move up it will cost a good penny, but like I said it is nowhere near hockey.

yeah i remember one summer i saved up $300 from a summer job just to buy decent skates for high school hockey and in mens sizes $300 is mediocre skate quality wise. And unlike baksetball where if you really can ball all you need are $40 and 1 shoe price does matter with hockey skates because the turning and quick cuts and speed do differ between pro line $500 skates and some cheap $200 skates.

and it is all priced based. Kenyans who live in 90 degree weather win marathons in 30 degrees and ? . The issue with winter sports like in the winter olympics and or winter x games is you have to buy some expensive accessory and pay money to practice in a facility. if there were snow runs or freezing track and field it would be cheap to train. But paying for a bobsled or snowmobile or practice time at a rink to figure skate is expensive as hell. Even gymnastics is cheaper just cause you don't have to pay for someone to clean the mat like a rink thats the main reason ice time and ice sports are expensive. they gotta hire and use gas to clear a trail or rink.

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not my cup of tea
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _DUB_ wrote: »
    not my cup of tea

• peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i ? with it, the sport i check for last after football, basketball and baseball but i still watch the blackhawks when i get a chance. growing up in wisconsin i could see them a lot more than i do in maryland.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Region plays a role, too.

if you live in the northern midwest, a black person will see that ? TONS more than if you grew up in the South. The East Coast has it sprinkled in moderately with the other sports in some places (NY, Boston, Philly), but most folk in the Carolinas, Florida, Texas, Alabama ain't checkin for that ? .