Daniel Bryan - how did he get so over?

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let's talk about the most over superstar in years, Daniel Bryan.

He's been in and out of the WWE since 2009 up until 2011.

It wasn't until his relationship storyline with AJ and his "yes" and "no" chants, did he really start garnering attention from the WWE Universe, other than the "IWC".

If it had not have been for the AJ love angle, would Daniel Bryan be this over?

Did the chants help him or are those not really that big of a factor?

Comments

• T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    The Yes chant did help but he connected because he knows how to interact with the crowd. Like when he was with AJ and even after when he tag teamed with Kane it was his whole NO NO NO!!! with the crowd going YES YES YES!!! that really struck a chord. This was the same thing in WM when he lost to Sheamus. That and the whole underdog factor.

People seen him go back and forth on the card for 2 years after he came back and put on the most entertaining matches. They demanded he be brought back and then saw him make the best of even the ? storyline. That's paying dues. The dude could get anything over. He has the same thing Hogan, Flair, Austin and The Rock had. He gets the psychology. The only difference is he's 10 times the ring technician but those guys could crush him on a mic in their sleep.

he's aight on the mic. That's his only flaw
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bryan is over because he is entertaining inside and outside the ring.

The AJ love angle and the Team Hell No stuff added elements to his character that was needed to show fans he could do more than just wrestle. It showed us he has good comedic timing, and he was genuinely funny by himself.

It was also his wrestling too, because hes fun to watch in between the ropes. The matches with Punk, I think, put him in the upper echelon even though it took almost a year for it to kick in to the offices.

He, in some way, is the new Kurt Angle. Fans loved Kurt because he was a funny character but he could also kick ass and that was fun to see too.

Being a mechanic inbetween the ropes only gets you so far in the 'E, that's a lesson many fans and wrestlers don't seem to get.
  • VIBE
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    The Yes chant did help but he connected because he knows how to interact with the crowd. Like when he was with AJ and even after when he tag teamed with Kane it was his whole NO NO NO!!! with the crowd going YES YES YES!!! that really struck a chord. This was the same thing in WM when he lost to Sheamus. That and the whole underdog factor.

People seen him go back and forth on the card for 2 years after he came back and put on the most entertaining matches. They demanded he be brought back and then saw him make the best of even the ? storyline. That's paying dues. The dude could get anything over. He has the same thing Hogan, Flair, Austin and The Rock had. He gets the psychology. The only difference is he's 10 times the ring technician but those guys could crush him on a mic in their sleep.

he's aight on the mic. That's his only flaw

His mic approach is very generic, but he isn't all that bad.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He has taken punks peoples champion title
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's humble and everyone likes a humble dude.

He's an underdog and everyone likes an underdog.

He was trained by the showstopper which boost up his in-ring presence as a performer.

He's a character that everyone can relate too so he's like the Rocky Balboa of this generations WWE.

His character is malleable into fitting into any storyline.

He speaks what the fans think of wrestling today.
  • VIBE
    Options
    Copper wrote: »
    He has taken punks peoples champion title

Yeah, he took that big time.

Punk has quieted down, a lot.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I forgot which month but it was a solid month of Raw's that Daniel Bryan was having the best performance on Raw consistently against the shield, he wrestled I think 3 times on one raw.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that was last year around the time where he won the strap the first time i believe, dude was on FYE
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bruh, when he broke from team hell no to prove himself, and was going ham in the ring against the shield...

i started believing...
  • Mr.LV
    Options
    Du_Du wrote: »
    bruh, when he broke from team hell no to prove himself, and was going ham in the ring against the shield...

i started believing...

The boy was on fire man he was putting in some serious work against the shield.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mr.LV
    Options
    Du_Du wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X-e1CVc310

this is when he won me over

This right here it was June 3,2013 Raw
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=NN4Cm-51Q64

• T. Sanford
    edited January 2014
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttiGTC5B2gg

I wished I seen this Raw

got damnnnnnnnn Daniel Bryan is over af

@Du_Du & @Mr.LV, got damn DB was turn tf up
  • VIBE
    Options
    Funny thing is he suffered a concussion during that match and doesn't remember much of it.
  • T. Sanford
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    Funny thing is he suffered a concussion during that match and doesn't remember much of it.

how he get the concussion?
  • VIBE
    Options
    I watched the match a few times, I didn't see where it happened.

But it explains why he looked so confused on top of the cage.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's easily the most over wwe dude since any top guys from the attitude era, no superstar who was made from 2002-now has gotten this type of reaction
  • kingofbama205
    kingofbama205 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The Chants he used to get in ROH were fucken classic....the whole
    "Hey Hey hey...HE HAS TIL 5!!!"
    "Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun...You're gonna get you're Fucken Head Kicked in" GOAT ? .
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My question is if they finally put the belt on him, Will the crowd still be with him and for how long?
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheBoyRo wrote: »
    He's easily the most over wwe dude since any top guys from the attitude era, no superstar who was made from 2002-now has gotten this type of reaction

I dunno about that.......No matter where in the card he was, RVD got chants like a ? ......
  • T. Sanford
    Options
    My question is if they finally put the belt on him, Will the crowd still be with him and for how long?

I believe for a long time.

WWE fans love the underdog
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think thats a good question tho, cuz depending on how they book him(if he ever gets the strap) he might not look like the underdog much
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    the ? about the iwc is that what if WWE started doing everything the way they wanted what next wont she be so damn predictable?
  • VIBE
    Options
    Nah, just give us a little here and there.