Black College Grad's First Job Interview

Options
Vertebrae
Vertebrae Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
1) What is the most important thing for a African-American college graduate to bring to his first job interview?

A) A recommendation.
B) A resume.
C) A pink shirt and tie with no bass in his voice.
D) None of the above

Source: http://kenjidirect.tumblr.com

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably a recommendation. It's not what ya know, it's who ya know. But after that a superb resume with a superb cover letter would be next.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FROM THE LIST, IMA SAY RESUME... THAT'S FOR EVERYBODY
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Recommendation, it may be what gives you an edge over other candidates that are equally qualified.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would say a strong recommendation.........notice I said a "strong" recommendation

black folks tend to suck at networking unfortunately......which is the real secret that you learn at a top tier college

also, I would say have strong conversational skills that show you are prepared for the interview

notice is worse than having a kid show up trying to get a job and he doesn't even know what he really applied for or who he is trying to work for........employers want to know that you have an internal motivation for trying to work there.......a paycheck isn't enough

and a good interview outfit is better than any well typed resume.......resumes are not as important as mofos think..........especially for a young cat just coming out of college.......they already know you are only going to have but so much experience
  • Antlerz
    Antlerz Members Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Make sure you have your resume. Employers schedule interviews but forget all about you when they hang up.
  • Vertebrae
    Options
    What if his first name is Malik or Tyrone?
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Make sure you aint got no baggy ass steve harvey suit.
    Not only bring your resume, but bring it in an actual resume holder/portfolio
    Put on some smell good
    Be yourself: thats vague as hell but more specifically, if you are an upbeat, vocal person, be that. If you're a serious, professional at all times person, be that. Either can win....(However if you're "laid-back", do not be laid back)

Reason being, no matter what u do, the person interviewign you has seen it before. They are older and wiser. You will not trick them into gettign the job. Be yourself so they can feel comfortable that if they hire you, you wont switch up once you're in the door. Thats their biggest concern. Most of the time, the actual work you will do can likely be done by any number of similar people. They are hiring who they wouldnt mind working with and can rely on.

Source: I used to sponsor and sit in on our company's quarterly HR dept working lunch, where they shoot the ? and talk off the record. I've heard what they REALLY think.
  • TonyDubbz
    TonyDubbz Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For me it was who I knew. I didnt even apply for the job, dude just reached out to me and said he heard about my skills from someone who we both associated with he basically kept trying to get me to come work for them and I agreed ? I was tired of bein broke.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its who you know
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    sale yourself
    be on time...
    ask questions about the company (about your future etc..long-term..type of retirement) make them know you'll be there for a minute (even if you don't plan on it)
    ask them if they offer incentives on obtaining/furthering your education (do they offer/help on tuition reimbursement)
    ask at least 3-5 questions that will make you stand out from the other interviewees

Good luck folk
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »

926.gif
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Honestly, black applicants don't have to bring anything different than white applicants. You're either going to be applying at a place where race doesn't matter (for the most part) and you'll get a fair shake despite being black or you're applying at a place where race does matter and you won't get a fair shake no matter what you bring. There really isn't any middle ground.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trick question
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Vertebrae
    Options
    Honestly, black applicants don't have to bring anything different than white applicants. You're either going to be applying at a place where race doesn't matter (for the most part) and you'll get a fair shake despite being black or you're applying at a place where race does matter and you won't get a fair shake no matter what you bring. There really isn't any middle ground.

Score: F (Fantasy world)

Only one right answer.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Resume.

Recommendation.

Appropriate attire (dressing like Fonzworth Bentley will hurt just as much as dressing like DMX).

Questions for the interviewer....relevant ones. (not salary ? , they HATE those)
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I would say a strong recommendation.........notice I said a "strong" recommendation

black folks tend to suck at networking unfortunately......which is the real secret that you learn at a top tier college

so what the hell are the omega psi phi, deltas, aka's and kappas doing?? there are millions of them and being in that brotherhood/sisterhood is almost ALWAYS said to be about networking. and to my knowledge 99.9% of them join in college.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Vertebrae wrote: »

Score: F (Fantasy world)

Only one right answer.

Yeah. Every highly qualified black person I know found jobs easy without having to do anything special. That doesn't mean they weren't discriminated against, but this idea that Blacks can't succeed without jumping through hoops is a myth. It's harder for us than most, but at the end of the day, if you got the qualifications you'll find something.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

so what the hell are the omega psi phi, deltas, aka's and kappas doing?? there are millions of them and being in that brotherhood/sisterhood is almost ALWAYS said to be about networking. and to my knowledge 99.9% of them join in college.

so joining a black fraternity/sorority is the most efficient way to network?

let me rephrase what I mean so folks can better understand

ALL groups generally suck at networking......but black folks suffer the worst economically from their lack of ability to network

fraternities and sororities are basically social clubs

hell it can be argued that ? in prison network better than black fraternities and sororities SMH
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Employers will always hire an effeminate black male, their docile and less threatening.......especially in corporate America
  • SnuffDaddy
    SnuffDaddy Members Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Not only bring your resume, but bring it in an actual resume holder/portfolio
    Put on some smell good
    Be yourself: thats vague as hell but more specifically, if you are an upbeat, vocal person, be that. If you're a serious, professional at all times person, be that. Either can win....(However if you're "laid-back", do not be laid back)

Reason being, no matter what u do, the person interviewign you has seen it before. They are older and wiser. You will not trick them into gettign the job. Be yourself so they can feel comfortable that if they hire you, you wont switch up once you're in the door. Thats their biggest concern. Most of the time, the actual work you will do can likely be done by any number of similar people. They are hiring who they wouldnt mind working with and can rely on.

Source: I used to sponsor and sit in on our company's quarterly HR dept working lunch, where they shoot the ? and talk off the record. I've heard what they REALLY think.

@ bolded, thats what i struggle with. I know how to come off as a "nice & responsible person", but its really hard. It feels like im on edge all the time cuz its makes me so uncomfortable & pressured to "perform". But what you said about if they hire you, ehhh i unno about that. Cuz if youre yourself, not necessarily talking that hood stuff either, they still not gonna feel comfortable.

At the end of the day thats what it is. THey hire people mostly based on who they feel comfortable with, & thats all relative.

Like i said for me im just not good at the fake laugh-social media type dude..but if i try to fake it it makes me anxious as hell to perform, as i said, its like a load i have to be honest & 100 and its hard when im in "cuffs".

Being myself tho will only make them look at me like a threat. Im not a dumb ignorant dude but what i mean is we prolly relate to different ? & and i never liked to go along with the bs just to fit in or bcuz, even if its homies or some neighborhood tough dude. Im good at reading people & situations so i dont go along with ? that doesnt make sense & thats a threat.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Make sure you do your homework on the job/company you're interviewing for and bring tough questions ...... shows them you know what they're about while taking pressure off of you and turning it back on them.

On first interview for semiconductor industry, I was meeting with three people who had mad questions for me and I had tossed a few big questions right back at them .... one of the guys that would become my manager after I got hired told me he was impressed by my knowledge of the different types of tools/machines and silicon wafer technology being that I never worked in that field before ..... I'm still mad that that I was laid off cause the plant closed down and relocated to France ......
  • Vertebrae
    Options

Employers will always hire an effeminate black male, their docile and less threatening.......especially in corporate America

Should the "G" get a A?
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options

so joining a black fraternity/sorority is the most efficient way to network?

let me rephrase what I mean so folks can better understand

ALL groups generally suck at networking......but black folks suffer the worst economically from their lack of ability to network

fraternities and sororities are basically social clubs

hell it can be argued that ? in prison network better than black fraternities and sororities SMH

that post was me literally asking, not trying to make a point LOL