If I never read comic books, and wanted to catch on up stuff for Marvel OR DC....

Options
Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
Where would I start? And don't say stupid ? like "the beginning."

I mean with all these rebirths, New 52 and things, how would I know what to go at first?

Comments

• indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    History of the DC Universe
    History_of_the_DC_Universe_1.jpg

Infinite Crisis 2005 7 issue mini-series

Crisis1.png

52 2006 DC Comics Weekly Series
    52weekone.jpeg

• indyman87
    Options
    Flashpoint 2011 mini-series that created the new 52 Universe

Flashpoint.jpg

After that I would pick up the first few issues of the New 52's Justice League, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    You can go about it two ways:

1. Do you just want to read good, stand alone stories, even if they don't matter in the big scheme of things?

2. Do you want to read and know whats going on in DC Comics,right now, as in what's Batman doing, what's Superman doing, who are they fighting right now?
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    With marvel always start with Thor or Avengers. It'd early enough in marvel to get the OG Thor avengers book...or uncanny avengers.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You're kinda in luck. Both Marvel and DC rebooted not long ago. So really you can just start with whatever characters you think you'd have an interest in and you shouldn't have to back track that much. I mean in Marvel, Avengers is just now getting up into the 20s, so if you start over with that, you'll get a good intro and get taken through Infinity which was an awesome event.
  • indyman87
    Options
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Essential_Series_Vol_1

marvel have tradepaperbacks called essential Marvels this probably will help you out.

Essential_Series_Vol_1_Captain_America_1.jpg
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rebooting is a good idea. books like batman superman or spiderman were well into their 800's. that too much backstory for a newcomer to delve into.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Check out the new 52. Get the paperback trades to catch up a little sooner. All i really read anymore is DC
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just jump right into any characters that catch your attention; you could always look back on older stories if they interest you once you're more well versed in what you're dealing with. When I got into comic books the industry was over 50 years old. That didn't stop me from enjoying the stories that were published at the time.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my opinion, the better stories for both companies were older stories. You get a solid idea of the characters and their growth. You can go to any comic store and check out their stacks and you'll find great prices. With both universes rebooting, you can just hop into any book made within the last two years.