GA-Weed will be legalized in next couple of weeks?

Options
indyman87
indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
Wow. Didn't think it can happen that fast. Maybe the Governor trying to make some brownie points after the ice storm fiasco.

Peake wants medical marijuana made legal in Georgia within the next several weeks.

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2014/02/01/a-surprising-mad-dash-to-legalize-medicinal-? -in-georgia/?icmp=ajc_internallink_textlink_homepage

Comments

• bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The governor really has nothing to do with this.........

Peake is a rep from Macon.......

The bill might pass the house, IDK about the senate........

Georgia lawmakers are too busy with bills that let people carry guns in schools, churches and bars............

• Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's face it, people are seeing the crazy profits the state of Colorado is getting off of weed. Only a matter of time before broke states give in and tax the ? outta it.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They gonna have ? working in the Marijuana fields.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good, hopefully Obama won't be a ? on this and lets Georgia live....smh at him not mentioning legal marijuana once in his boring speech
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2014
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    They gonna have ? working in the Marijuana fields.

I'm sure there will be plenty of Hispanics and Whites working the fields too.....who wouldn't want to make money off weed now. If we had a cool President, medical marijuana dispensaries would be all over the nation now
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Good, hopefully Obama won't be a ? on this
    prediction: Obama continues to be a ? on this issue.

for example, this little section from Obama, Who Evidently Has Not Read the Controlled Substances Act, Denies That He Has the Power to Reclassify Marijuana:
    Instead of answering that question, Obama started talking about a "public health" approach to marijuana (a subject I address in another post). But notice that Obama at first denied that the executive branch has the power to reschedule drugs, saying "what is and isn't a Schedule I narcotic is a job for Congress." As Tapper pointed out, that's not true. While Congress can amend the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) to increase or reduce restrictions on particular drugs, the statute also gives that power to the attorney general, who has delegated it to the Drug Enforcement Administration (a division of the Justice Department). In fact, the DEA has repeatedly rejected petitions to reschedule marijuana, most recently in 2011. I forget: Who was president then?

Apparently Obama forgot too. Obama often speaks as if he is an outside observer of his own administration—condemning excessively long prison sentences while hardly ever using his clemency power to shorten them, sounding the alarm about his own abuses of executive power in the name of fighting terrorism, worrying about the threat to privacy posed by surveillance programs he authorized. Now here he is, trying to distance himself from his own administration's refusal to reclassify marijuana.
    especially odd considering he's JUST talked up actions he can take without the need for Congress...

• kingblaze84
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Good, hopefully Obama won't be a ? on this
    prediction: Obama continues to be a ? on this issue.

for example, this little section from Obama, Who Evidently Has Not Read the Controlled Substances Act, Denies That He Has the Power to Reclassify Marijuana:
    Instead of answering that question, Obama started talking about a "public health" approach to marijuana (a subject I address in another post). But notice that Obama at first denied that the executive branch has the power to reschedule drugs, saying "what is and isn't a Schedule I narcotic is a job for Congress." As Tapper pointed out, that's not true. While Congress can amend the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) to increase or reduce restrictions on particular drugs, the statute also gives that power to the attorney general, who has delegated it to the Drug Enforcement Administration (a division of the Justice Department). In fact, the DEA has repeatedly rejected petitions to reschedule marijuana, most recently in 2011. I forget: Who was president then?

Apparently Obama forgot too. Obama often speaks as if he is an outside observer of his own administration—condemning excessively long prison sentences while hardly ever using his clemency power to shorten them, sounding the alarm about his own abuses of executive power in the name of fighting terrorism, worrying about the threat to privacy posed by surveillance programs he authorized. Now here he is, trying to distance himself from his own administration's refusal to reclassify marijuana.
    especially odd considering he's JUST talked up actions he can take without the need for Congress...

We've realized for some time important Obama is just backwards and an ? on this issue....why do you think this is the case?
  • janklow
    Options
    We've realized for some time important Obama is just backwards and an ? on this issue....why do you think this is the case?
    i think Obama's decided what stuff he wants to attach himself to and then figures he doesn't want to rock the boat when it comes to any other issues. or perhaps he's just a ? by nature and when he SEEMS like he's not, it's totally incidental?

really not sure
  • janklow
    Options
    also, a friendly reminder about the drug stances of Obama's sidekick, good ol' Uncle Joe Biden:
    The outspoken lawmaker, who came out in support of ? marriage before his boss, was reserved on the subject, taking caution not to get out ahead of Obama. Biden’s position is essentially unchanged from a 2010 interview with ABC News in which he called marijuana a “gateway drug.”

In the interview with David Remnick, Obama said “it’s important for” legalization to go forward in Colorado and Washington, because of racial and economic disparities in enforcement. Asked about Obama’s comments, Biden said, “Look, I support the President’s policy.” The President put the brakes on calls for executive action to legalize marijuana in an interview with CNN last week, saying it was a decision for Congress, not the White House.

In the Senate, Biden was on the forefront of the Democratic Party’s war on crime, authoring or co-sponsoring legislation that created the federal “drug czar” and mandatory minimum sentencing for marijuana and the sentencing disparity for ? and powder ? .
    but it's cool because he really wants to make sure the little guy has a chance or something
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good, hopefully Obama won't be a ? on this and lets Georgia live....smh at him not mentioning legal marijuana once in his boring speech

How does everyone of your post turn into an indictment on President Obama....smh
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    i think Obama's decided what stuff he wants to attach himself to and then figures he doesn't want to rock the boat when it comes to any other issues. or perhaps he's just a ? by nature and when he SEEMS like he's not, it's totally incidental?

really not sure

Ha I agree
  • kingblaze84
    edited February 2014
    Options

How does everyone of your post turn into an indictment on President Obama....smh

Likely because Obama over and over again is on the wrong side of history.....you do know his govt is still cracking down on medical marijuana dispensaries in states where its legal right? If that's an indictment, then I'll keep indicting....I know you love Obama but be real to the fact he's not the most liked guy out here now. If that bothers you, sorry.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
  • janklow
    Options
    wait, so your response is to follow him around and make every one of YOUR posts an indictment of kingblaze84? interesting tactic

• Jabu_Rule
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I know i was trolling earlier, but i really hoped Obama would ease up in his second term with Marijuana. I know he doesn't want kids doing it but with further regulation, it would be easier to stop that or prosecute people who serve to kids just like Alcohol. They gonna do it anyway but there is enough tax revenue to supply the DEA with money to enforce regulation. I don't get it really. Maybe he's waiting for inventions like the weed breathalyzer that was mentioned in G&S. Is it an issue of getting past congress? I'm thinking he can pass an executive order but Republicans would have a heart attack.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    wait, so your response is to follow him around and make every one of YOUR posts an indictment of kingblaze84? interesting tactic

LOL yeah instead of going on the merits of what I said, he just says I'm indicting Obama, which is obvious. Very interesting
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    also, a friendly reminder about the drug stances of Obama's sidekick, good ol' Uncle Joe Biden:
    The outspoken lawmaker, who came out in support of ? marriage before his boss, was reserved on the subject, taking caution not to get out ahead of Obama. Biden’s position is essentially unchanged from a 2010 interview with ABC News in which he called marijuana a “gateway drug.”

In the interview with David Remnick, Obama said “it’s important for” legalization to go forward in Colorado and Washington, because of racial and economic disparities in enforcement. Asked about Obama’s comments, Biden said, “Look, I support the President’s policy.” The President put the brakes on calls for executive action to legalize marijuana in an interview with CNN last week, saying it was a decision for Congress, not the White House.

In the Senate, Biden was on the forefront of the Democratic Party’s war on crime, authoring or co-sponsoring legislation that created the federal “drug czar” and mandatory minimum sentencing for marijuana and the sentencing disparity for ? and powder ? .
    but it's cool because he really wants to make sure the little guy has a chance or something

Powerful post.......
  • janklow
    Options
    I know i was trolling earlier, but i really hoped Obama would ease up in his second term with Marijuana. I know he doesn't want kids doing it but with further regulation, it would be easier to stop that or prosecute people who serve to kids just like Alcohol. They gonna do it anyway but there is enough tax revenue to supply the DEA with money to enforce regulation. I don't get it really.
    this reminds me of a conversation two of my co-workers were having: their prime concerns were a) kids smoking ? and b) people driving while high.

counterpoint: PEOPLE DO THIS RIGHT NOW

i actually DO understand the moral argument of legalizing it telling kids it's basically okay to do it, and that if you're against ANYONE smoking ? , there's some logic there. but i don't think it works as a solution. not that you and i are disagreeing on this point.
    Maybe he's waiting for inventions like the weed breathalyzer that was mentioned in G&S. Is it an issue of getting past congress? I'm thinking he can pass an executive order but Republicans would have a heart attack.
    it helps to remember that Democrats are just as much of HUGE "we're tough on law and order" ? as Republicans are. i think a lot of people thought "well, Obama's COOL, so we'll see movement on drug legalization." not so fast, hippies

• kingblaze84
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I know i was trolling earlier, but i really hoped Obama would ease up in his second term with Marijuana. I know he doesn't want kids doing it but with further regulation, it would be easier to stop that or prosecute people who serve to kids just like Alcohol. They gonna do it anyway but there is enough tax revenue to supply the DEA with money to enforce regulation. I don't get it really.
    this reminds me of a conversation two of my co-workers were having: their prime concerns were a) kids smoking ? and b) people driving while high.

i actually DO understand the moral argument of legalizing it telling kids it's basically okay to do it, and that if you're against ANYONE smoking ? , there's some logic there. but i don't think it works as a solution. not that you and i are disagreeing on this point.
    Maybe he's waiting for inventions like the weed breathalyzer that was mentioned in G&S. Is it an issue of getting past congress? I'm thinking he can pass an executive order but Republicans would have a heart attack.
    it helps to remember that Democrats are just as much of HUGE "we're tough on law and order" ? as Republicans are. i think a lot of people thought "well, Obama's COOL, so we'll see movement on drug legalization." not so fast, hippies

Definitely, this is one of the big reasons why so many independents like myself and others have lost all faith in Obama and his Dem friends. Obama is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever seen in office, Bush part 2 basically. His very low approval ratings show people in general have lost faith in his ? ass as well/ I expected hope and change when Obama's sorry ass was elected, how wrong I was lol........? that half breed ? .
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know someone who is supposed to be testifying in an upcoming trial on behalf of Norml soon in GA but still tho, I really doubt this will happen
  • janklow
    Options
    Obama is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever seen in office, Bush part 2 basically.
    insert mandatory "at least Bush II didn't ? with me on guns" remark here

• Jabu_Rule
    Options

I would agree with you if it wasn't democrats pushing any federal and local effort with legislation.

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/04/dems_move_to_change_federal_? _laws/
  • janklow
    Options
    I would agree with you if it wasn't democrats pushing any federal and local effort with legislation.
    well, for one thing, if we're talking about the administration, we STILL have a president who denies being able to do things he can do and a vice-president beaming with proud over all the "tough on crime" stuff he does.

for the other... there's always a couple of dudes on either side of the aisle NOT being ? about it. even attacking the disparity in ? sentences was a bipartisan thing. but generally speaking, both Republicans AND Democrats want everyone to know how anti-drug they are. i live in a deep-blue state and rest assured that after Obama's very tepid remarks on marijuana, the bigwigs in the party had to be VERY clear they hate marijuana and love THE LAW and blah blah blah

also, from that article and speaking of bipartisan:
    The bill is based on a legalization measure previously pushed by former Reps. Barney Frank of Massachusetts and Ron Paul of Texas. ... Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell last week came out in support of efforts to legalize ? in his home state of Kentucky, and U.S. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., is expected to introduce legislation allowing states to set their own policy on marijuana.
    so we'll see, i guess
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    well, for one thing, if we're talking about the administration, we STILL have a president who denies being able to do things he can do and a vice-president beaming with proud over all the "tough on crime" stuff he does.

for the other... there's always a couple of dudes on either side of the aisle NOT being ? about it. even attacking the disparity in ? sentences was a bipartisan thing. but generally speaking, both Republicans AND Democrats want everyone to know how anti-drug they are. i live in a deep-blue state and rest assured that after Obama's very tepid remarks on marijuana, the bigwigs in the party had to be VERY clear they hate marijuana and love THE LAW and blah blah blah

also, from that article and speaking of bipartisan:
    The bill is based on a legalization measure previously pushed by former Reps. Barney Frank of Massachusetts and Ron Paul of Texas. ... Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell last week came out in support of efforts to legalize ? in his home state of Kentucky, and U.S. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., is expected to introduce legislation allowing states to set their own policy on marijuana.
    so we'll see, i guess

I was speaking more on the initial outings. Also Ron Paul is an outlier because he always goes against the Republican big tent and at one point was probably the only Republican vocally in support of marijuana legalization. I sure there were others but not on his level and not pushing legislation in states. I'm sure it's cool to be down now, or getting cooler now that the revenue gains are obvious.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    Obama issues guidelines for banks on funds from legal marijuana sales

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-pn-obama-guidelines-banks-marijuana-20140214,0,5097534.story#ixzz2tOVQO4IU
    WASHINGTON — The Obama administration issued guidance to prosecutors and banks Friday meant to make it easier for legal marijuana sellers to open bank accounts.

But the guidance fell short of giving banks carte blanche to get involved in a business that is legal in some states for medical or recreational purposes but is still illegal under federal law.

A memo issued Friday by Atty. Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr. to all federal prosecutors said that prosecution may not be appropriate for banks dealing with marijuana sellers if they are operating legally in their states and stay away from red zones, such as the sale of the drug to minors or across state lines. The banks must also follow new Treasury Department procedures.

Although President Obama and Holder have indicated they have no desire to be tough on ? , the cautious move Friday reflects a reluctance to go too far because of solid opposition to marijuana legalization within the ranks of law enforcement.

Several weeks ago DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart, in what she thought was a private meeting with sheriffs, was highly critical of recent comments about marijuana by Obama and of the trend toward legalization generally.

Officials who were close to the decision announced Friday but not authorized to speak publicly said that unless Congress acts to change federal law it is unlikely the Obama administration would go further.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/politicsnow/la-pn-obama-guidelines-banks-marijuana-20140214,0,5097534.story#ixzz2tOVagFxf

Baby steps?