Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    Again, I ain't trying to sit here and say that all Africans hate African Americans, but its a simple untruth to say that Africans don't have some animosity towards African Americans. I've tutored African kids in 4 different states at three different levels, and they all pretty much say the same thing. Ya'll can act like the African diaspora is one big happy family if you want, but if you're going to do that then you might as well try traveling by clicking your heels or thinking happy thoughts and flying because it's all fantasy.

But I've already admitted that there are two sides to the issue and African Americans certainly aren't innocent. I also agree that work should be done to heal problems not only between Africans and African Americans but throughout the diaspora. I don't agree that there is no future for Blacks in America, and I also disagree that African Americans should be looking to unite with Africans before rebuilding the unity within our own community.

You tutored them in america and my whole point is that any tension in the relationship was started by african americans. African american can be as unified as they want too it's still not going to put them on the same heights that creating strong connection to africa will.

blacks are limited here and will forever be so, blacks are only 13% of the population and the laws and culture in this nation are actively trying to destroy any wealth,love or unity that exist among black people.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say there. I don't know that African Americans started the tension though. I know some African Americans do mistreat and look down on African immigrants, but at least some of them did that in response to perceived slights from the Africans. On top of that I've had African immigrants flat out tell me they thought African Americans were lazy and spoiled. That's a matter of them bringing their misconceptions about African Americans with them not anything that was done to them. So it's really a "chicken and the egg" scenario, and I personally don't think either side is fully to blame.

Either way, it doesn't change the fact that there is a rift there, which was my point all along. There is on reason to believe that Africans will welcome African Americans back in the fold given current relations. And there is no reason to believe that African Americans could even sustain such a relationship given the "? in a bucket" mentality we have in our own community.

You're right that Blacks are limited here and that if there were some viable Black alternative to America, then AAs would be better off there. That said, no such option exists. No country in Africa is in a position where AAs could flock there in force and be fine. So it's still worthwhile for AAs to at least try and build here in America.And I disagree that Blacks could never prosper in America. There are groups here that are smaller than us and have less power that are doing fine. True they haven't had the history of persecution in this country, but a lot of that is changing. Only blind people can't see that. Life for the average black person 50 years ago was much different than what life is for blacks now. There is still a lot of work to be done, but that's the whole point. People need to be willing to improve things here before they abandon it all for some grass they perceive to be greener somewhere else.

Some african governments already have programs set up that target the black dispora and the african union recognizes african americans as being AFRICAN, they want us there that's why i know what you are saying is not correct. The rift is between african americans and african immigrants not africans in africa. No country on earth wants a mass flood of any immigrant group but the kind of african americans that would want to be in africa and do business in africa will be welcomed.

The other minorities in the usa don't have the historical baggage that black people do so they are not targets of the same level of hate that we get and that's not going to change.

like i said already this is it, this is as good as it's going to get for black people in this nation. Other races of people will be passing us the ? by any day now and it's going to stay that way because their populations are growing fast and they are more united. Black people 50 years ago had more wealth than we to today, today we have more money but far less wealth, i'VE had this discussion with you before but you don't seem to understand that concept but as always you are too ? naive and optimistic to see reality for what it is. The wasted energy that africans americans put into basically begging white people and this government to treating us properly could be better spent on fixing relations between african immigrants and african americans.

We both agree America in the long run is not a good option for African Americans (although some will be more then fine) but since you've been to Africa, what nations there you think would be the most accommodating to African Americans here?

Ghana is by far the most welcoming nation in africa in my opinion and is one of the nicest to live in. South africa is also a good option and would give you a lifestyle closer to an american one but the crime is crazy. SENEGAL also a wonderful nation especially if you are a black muslim but they treat all outsiders good i am christian and never had any problems when i was there.

Nigeria is cool, transportation in lagos is crazy but there economy is getting better and the people are generally nice but not as friendly as ghana to me ghanaians embrace blacks from the dispora more than nigerians. also stay away from the north of nigeria.

Very informative bro props, I came close to visiting Nigeria last year but things got too crazy at my job and I had to stay nearby. I hope to make a visit by the end of this year to either there or Ghana, I've heard positive things about both nations. Whichever nation has the better climate I'll visit first.

Whta's so crazy about Lagos' transportation though?? I've heard some parts of Nigeria are very unorganized, is that the issue?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Again, I ain't trying to sit here and say that all Africans hate African Americans, but its a simple untruth to say that Africans don't have some animosity towards African Americans. I've tutored African kids in 4 different states at three different levels, and they all pretty much say the same thing. Ya'll can act like the African diaspora is one big happy family if you want, but if you're going to do that then you might as well try traveling by clicking your heels or thinking happy thoughts and flying because it's all fantasy.

But I've already admitted that there are two sides to the issue and African Americans certainly aren't innocent. I also agree that work should be done to heal problems not only between Africans and African Americans but throughout the diaspora. I don't agree that there is no future for Blacks in America, and I also disagree that African Americans should be looking to unite with Africans before rebuilding the unity within our own community.

You tutored them in america and my whole point is that any tension in the relationship was started by african americans. African american can be as unified as they want too it's still not going to put them on the same heights that creating strong connection to africa will.

blacks are limited here and will forever be so, blacks are only 13% of the population and the laws and culture in this nation are actively trying to destroy any wealth,love or unity that exist among black people.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say there. I don't know that African Americans started the tension though. I know some African Americans do mistreat and look down on African immigrants, but at least some of them did that in response to perceived slights from the Africans. On top of that I've had African immigrants flat out tell me they thought African Americans were lazy and spoiled. That's a matter of them bringing their misconceptions about African Americans with them not anything that was done to them. So it's really a "chicken and the egg" scenario, and I personally don't think either side is fully to blame.

Either way, it doesn't change the fact that there is a rift there, which was my point all along. There is on reason to believe that Africans will welcome African Americans back in the fold given current relations. And there is no reason to believe that African Americans could even sustain such a relationship given the "? in a bucket" mentality we have in our own community.

You're right that Blacks are limited here and that if there were some viable Black alternative to America, then AAs would be better off there. That said, no such option exists. No country in Africa is in a position where AAs could flock there in force and be fine. So it's still worthwhile for AAs to at least try and build here in America.And I disagree that Blacks could never prosper in America. There are groups here that are smaller than us and have less power that are doing fine. True they haven't had the history of persecution in this country, but a lot of that is changing. Only blind people can't see that. Life for the average black person 50 years ago was much different than what life is for blacks now. There is still a lot of work to be done, but that's the whole point. People need to be willing to improve things here before they abandon it all for some grass they perceive to be greener somewhere else.

Some african governments already have programs set up that target the black dispora and the african union recognizes african americans as being AFRICAN, they want us there that's why i know what you are saying is not correct. The rift is between african americans and african immigrants not africans in africa. No country on earth wants a mass flood of any immigrant group but the kind of african americans that would want to be in africa and do business in africa will be welcomed.

The other minorities in the usa don't have the historical baggage that black people do so they are not targets of the same level of hate that we get and that's not going to change.

like i said already this is it, this is as good as it's going to get for black people in this nation. Other races of people will be passing us the ? by any day now and it's going to stay that way because their populations are growing fast and they are more united. Black people 50 years ago had more wealth than we to today, today we have more money but far less wealth, i'VE had this discussion with you before but you don't seem to understand that concept but as always you are too ? naive and optimistic to see reality for what it is. The wasted energy that africans americans put into basically begging white people and this government to treating us properly could be better spent on fixing relations between african immigrants and african americans.

We both agree America in the long run is not a good option for African Americans (although some will be more then fine) but since you've been to Africa, what nations there you think would be the most accommodating to African Americans here?

Ghana is by far the most welcoming nation in africa in my opinion and is one of the nicest to live in. South africa is also a good option and would give you a lifestyle closer to an american one but the crime is crazy. SENEGAL also a wonderful nation especially if you are a black muslim but they treat all outsiders good i am christian and never had any problems when i was there.

Nigeria is cool, transportation in lagos is crazy but there economy is getting better and the people are generally nice but not as friendly as ghana to me ghanaians embrace blacks from the dispora more than nigerians. also stay away from the north of nigeria.

Very informative bro props, I came close to visiting Nigeria last year but things got too crazy at my job and I had to stay nearby. I hope to make a visit by the end of this year to either there or Ghana, I've heard positive things about both nations. Whichever nation has the better climate I'll visit first.

Whta's so crazy about Lagos' transportation though?? I've heard some parts of Nigeria are very unorganized, is that the issue?

it's just too many people and the traffic and public transport is not the best it's just not organized well enough
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Someone started a thread a while ago that had images of African cities and other things that conflicted with the common perception of Africa. Africa has a lot of potential and could end up being great again. I hope it happens.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Someone started a thread a while ago that had images of African cities and other things that conflicted with the common perception of Africa. Africa has a lot of potential and could end up being great again. I hope it happens.

I hope so too and I remember that great thread as well. The birth rate rising too fast is the one thing that scares me about Africa though, too many kids in a land where poverty is still a big problem can cause even bigger problems, like what's going on in South AFrica and Zimbabwe. Hopefully I'm exaggerating the problem though