Lightning Returns getting sh*t on (as in reviews)

BoldChild
BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in IllGaming
http://kotaku.com/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-the-kotaku-revie-1520558520
"Should you play this game?"

"No"

http://www.gamespot.com/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/reviews/

Gamespot - 5/10

Well to be fair, most reviews are 7/10.

The combat system of the game seems like a lot of fun, and it's more challenging than XIII and XIII-2, abut as far as the story, and other game mechanics go, that ? ain't looking to hot.

I'll buy it from the used bin after the price drops a couple times.

Comments

• grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    played the demo. thought it was awful.

they should have stopped after the first one. the whole story is a ? now.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got immersed in the first one .............. hardly played the second
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they need to scrap this series for 4 yrs or so, and just start completely the ? over. all new characters, new stories, everything.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    They should have never started doing direct sequels to entries in the series. I liked the classic way FF was done where the new game had jack ? to do with the previous one and had fresh characters, story line, setting, etc.

? a review, though, I obviously won't know if it's good till I play it but it does look pretty assy.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how many versions of FF13 are there?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When vs 13 come out?
  • BoldChild
    how many versions of FF13 are there?

Three.

XIII

XIII-2

Lightning Returns
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    When vs 13 come out?
    Vs is ff14 and it's coming out for ps4 and xbone
  • BoldChild
    SquareEnix

- Makes open world game.

- Gives you a time limit that you have to beat the game in.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FF been dead after 10.
  • BoldChild
    edited February 2014
    FF been dead after 10.

FF 12 was good. It was turn based just like past FF, except the characters ran around.

On top of that the game had a lot of side quest, weapons, and armors to discover in it, I've never put more hours into any other FF game.

It also has the most freedom/openess of any FF game yet.

If you wanted to you could rush to a high level end game area, get OP gear, and breeze through the game.
  • VulcanRaven
    FF12 had terrible story, wack characters and a linear design. The combat was the only good thing about.
  • BoldChild
    FF12 is the least linear of all Final fantasies.

What other FF games allow you to roam all the way to end game areas while you're still on the first part, and get end game gear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqFwI6QXNQ
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Final Fantasy XII is crazy underrated. Sometimes it felt a bit unfinished but overall it was such a pleasing experience that I wouldn't mind a Final Fantasy XII-2.

It was the last one I've liked since FF IX if you don't count Crystal Chronicles or Dissidia 012; and the only one on PS2 I played more than once. I liked how the character focused continuously shifted around Final Fantasy VI style. It had 2 of my all time favorite FF characters (Balthier and Basch). The soundtrack is amazing. The gambit system was really awesome and allowed for the smoothest battle flow since FF Tactics. The game's world itself was quite varied and amazing to explore especially compared to the duller than dishwater landscape of FFX.

It pretty much was everything I wanted Final Fantasy X to be. The perfect middle ground between the best of the 16 bit and 32 bit titles in terms of presentation and art direction.

they need to scrap this series for 4 yrs or so, and just start completely the ? over. all new characters, new stories, everything.

Every single mainline Final Fantasy game starts over from scratch. They may share similar themes but the stories, characters, combat system and soundtrack are never the same.
  • VulcanRaven
    BoldChild wrote: »
    FF12 is the least linear of all Final fantasies.

What other FF games allow you to roam all the way to end game areas while you're still on the first part, and get end game gear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqFwI6QXNQ

You barely had any locations to go to in FF12, no controlling the airships, no world map and no sea exploraion thus making it linear. FF7 and FF8 had more exploration.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They gon' give ? that FF7/FF8 HD remake or nah?
  • Broddie
    They gon' give ? that FF7/FF8 HD remake or nah?

They've never even hinted that that will ever happen so don't get your hopes up.

• Broddie
    edited February 2014
    Legend of Dragoon was made by Sony not Squaresoft. I think that game sucked anyway. Now Wild Arms on the other hand...

I think FF IX is waaaaaaay better than VII and VIII. Way better. It's not my favorite game of the series (that would be between IV and VI) but it's definitely up there. That game was quite the revelation at the time. Then again I always felt FF VII was one of the most overrated games of all time not just within this series. Final Fantasy Tactics and FF IX is where it's at for me when it comes to the 32 bit joints.

But yo XIII is through. I never played it because it didn't interest me and apparently I didn't miss anything; but this game has been advertised as the end of the XIII trilogy since 2012. You'll never revisit this world again. I personally can't wait for XV (which is almost finished). I've been looking forward to that since it was Versus XIII.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should have stuck with Turn based. I stop playing after X.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the ? wit the afro still in the game
  • VulcanRaven
    Sion wrote: »
    FF been dead after 10.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SMMFH ITS ? TRUE

This whole FF13 ? is terrible, EASILY the worst game in the series SMMFH. Just scrap this Lightning ? , fans don't like her, the games are lacklustre and the overall it's tainting the quality that Square was originally known for. I have every FF game and literally tossed FF13 in the garbage it was so bad. And no diss to 12 but it was a great game but it was the beginning of the end at the same time. I remember tellin cats back in 06/07 that FF was gonna fall off if they continued with those types of mechanics SMMFH.

This is what happens when you hire a CEO who isn't a gamer. It's not hard just give the fans what they want. Ditch FF13, drop that Noctis/FF15 game (the joint that was suppose to be FF13versus), give ? an HD remake of the original 9 for the next gen consoles (or just do FF7 remake), a new Chrono Trigger & Legend of Dragoon spinoff and you're gold. It's really not hard.

And if you caught the references FF9 was really the best (or 2nd best) game in the series after 7 and/or 8. That game was incredibly layered and loads of fun to play. If Square continues dropping lazy projects they will feel the burn SMMFH.
    You just reminded me to throw those games away.
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want the FFX HD remake to hurry up and come out
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FF been dead after 10.

I haven't played one all the way through since 8
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Final fantasy has been dumbed down for casual gamers... FF13 didn't feel like a rpg. FFX was way to over hyped FF12 was dope though.