Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Wack list. Only games that nerd mentioned that would make my top 10 for that platform would be Silent Hill, MGS, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. Crash: Warped is better than any other Crash Bandicoot game and the Street Fighter games were awful on that console. 2D fighters were so much better on the Sega Saturn matter of fact they were the only reason to even own a Saturn after it's death. Just going by his taste you could tell he was probably a really young kid (like 4 or 5) during the peak years of the PSX.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Wack list. Only games that nerd mentioned that would make my top 10 for that platform would be Silent Hill, MGS, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. Crash: Warped is better than any other Crash Bandicoot game and the Street Fighter games were awful on that console. 2D fighters were so much better on the Sega Saturn matter of fact they were the only reason to even own a Saturn after it's death. Just going by his taste you could tell he was probably a really young kid (like 4 or 5) during the peak years of the PSX.

Saturn with the memory expansion with Marvel vs Street Fighter = GOAT back in the day...
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Resident Evil 2
    Silent Hill
    Abe's Exodus
    Broken Sword The Shadow of the Templars
    FIFA 98
    WWF Attitude
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
    Crash Bandicoot 3
    Gran Turismo
    Metal Gear Solid
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • zoomzoomp5
    zoomzoomp5 Members Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Karl.
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    Karl. wrote: »
    Resident Evil 2
    Silent Hill
    Abe's Exodus
    Broken Sword The Shadow of the Templars
    FIFA 98
    WWF Attitude
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
    Crash Bandicoot 3
    Gran Turismo
    Metal Gear Solid

This is the serious list? A game from the Final Fantasy series didn't make it for PSone? Damn...

I've never played a FF game. I do appreciate how good they are though. Watched my friends play them back in the day.
  • Karl.
    Options
    My list is just the first 10 games that came to mind when I thought about the great times I had on the PSOne.

I'm sure there are many better games. Was over 15 years ago!
  • Broddie
    edited February 2014
    Options
    My top 10 would be

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Resident Evil 2
    Metal Gear Solid
    Final Fantasy IX
    Xenogears
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
    Chrono Cross
    Crash Bandicoot: Warped
    Persona 2

Best console since the SNES and IMO it's library has yet to be matched (sorry PS2 fans). A lot of my favorite game franchises peaked on that platform (Dragon Warrior VII, Need for Speed: High Stakes, Breath of Fire IV) and the new IP's created during that gen had some of their greatest entries released (Parasite Eve, Silent Hill, Suikoden II). Not to mention Sony themselves published some of the coolest and most underappreciated games in their catalog (Intelligent Qube, Syphon Filter, Ape Escape).
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with the list. Don't think I would substitute anything
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »

Saturn with the memory expansion with Marvel vs Street Fighter = GOAT back in the day...
    still have mine and its an import...also SFA3 for PSone was GOAT...the only fighter on that system that was good.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

SFA3 was the ? , ? you mean ? lol
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Resident Evil 2 idk
    Silent Hill idk
    Abe's Exodus foh
    Broken Sword The Shadow of the Templars foh
    FIFA 98 idk
    WWF Attitude idk
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 GOAT!
    Crash Bandicoot 3 foh
    Gran Turismo gatwtfoh
    Metal Gear Solid GOAT!

No Legend of Dragoon, no street fighter, no tomb raider, no Tenchu, No final fantasy? Nah ? that list. The first two crash bandicoots were better.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ? actually Slept on Pandemonium? That was a dope game to me.
  • Broddie
    Options

Wow ONE game out of hundreds. Sega Saturn is where SNK and Capcom fighters truly shined. Arcade perfect ports unlike PSX.
  • Broddie
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    Resident Evil 2 idk
    Silent Hill idk
    Abe's Exodus foh
    Broken Sword The Shadow of the Templars foh
    FIFA 98 idk
    WWF Attitude idk
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 GOAT!
    Crash Bandicoot 3 foh
    Gran Turismo gatwtfoh
    Metal Gear Solid GOAT!

No Legend of Dragoon, no street fighter, no tomb raider, no Tenchu, No final fantasy? Nah ? that list. The first two crash bandicoots were better.

Nah Crash 3 is definitely the best game in that franchise. It's one of the best 32 bit games of all time.
  • Broddie
    Options
    So ? actually Slept on Pandemonium? That was a dope game to me.

That was a cool ass game.
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont know why but, Ive always likeed crash 2 slightly better than the 3rd..
  • Broddie
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Sion wrote: »

Wow ONE game out of hundreds. Sega Saturn is where SNK and Capcom fighters truly shined. Arcade perfect ports unlike PSX.

Im sorry fam I just can't cosign this fuckery SMMFH. SF Alpha 1/2/3, Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, Capcom versus games, the KOFs all better & far more durable on PSX. Saturn was unreliable & the pad was horrible. Now better sound quality ? You might be on to something but not a better experience IMO. If anything Neo Geo shoulda been mentioned.

This sounds crazy ignorant. The PSX processor was never good enough to handle complex 2D fighters, they always lagged. They never lagged on the Saturn with the RAM cart like they did on Playstation nor did they have so many actual animation frames cut out of the game like on the Playstation (I'm looking at you Street Fighter Alpha 2). You won't find anybody who played fighting games during that time saying otherwise for good reason.

I loved the Playstation but the 2D fighters were ass on that joint (SFA 3 was an exception and part of the reason it got such great reviews was because it was the exception in the first place). Even Super Puzzle Fighter 2 was better on the saturn. SF3 never came out on Playstation; we're talking Playstation here not Playstation 2. Playstation 2 completely smokes it's predecessor when it comes to 2D fighters as well. As far as game pads go it's a trip to realize that I'm the only person here who plays fighting games with arcade sticks on consoles. I never use game pads; I hate using d-pads instead of joysticks.

Neo Geo speaks for itself because you had the actual arcade boards to play with. But how many people here could say they actually played one? (no I don't mean an emulator). I did but only because my cousin was a money making drug dealer in the 90's that loved to show off and had no problem spending hundreds of dollars on individual games instead of $75 at most.
  • Broddie
    Options
    kinda crazy tho cuz Capcom I dont think SF really sold all that well on PSX I blame it on marketing tho cuz I remember it was very few big box retailers that had any SF3 joint out here. You had to go to specialty shops like Microplay for that.

That's because fighting game fans preferred other ports to PSX versions and only used PSX for Tekken and other 3D fighters. You have to show me a picture of SF3 for PSX cause I've never in my entire life ever seen that game for any home console but the Dreamcast and PS2.
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ninja something...I forget the name it was a 3D hack and slash game..I had a n64 at the Time, played psx at the comrades, we never even beat the game..

my personal list

Metal gear solid
    V-rally
    Dead or alive
    Spyro the dragon
    tomb raider
    syphon filter
    Need for Speed(basically any part, I even played the ? out of porsche challenge but on pc)
    crash team racing
    Croc
    Gran Turismo
    Fighting Force lol
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Syphon Filter and Croc
  • Alkinduz
    Options
    kinda crazy tho cuz Capcom I dont think SF really sold all that well on PSX I blame it on marketing tho cuz I remember it was very few big box retailers that had any SF3 joint out here. You had to go to specialty shops like Microplay for that.

That's because fighting game fans preferred other ports to PSX versions and only used PSX for Tekken and other 3D fighters. You have to show me a picture of SF3 for PSX cause I've never in my entire life ever seen that game for any home console but the Dreamcast and PS2.

yeah the DC was capcoms golden era

I owned Tech Romancer, SF 3 alpha, SF Double impact/third strike, capcom vs snk millinium fight 2000, project justice(goat!)

my last DC game was FF mark of the wolves

i had fighting vipers 2 ans calibur as well, the homies had powerstone, marvel vs capcom

street fighter 4 was a slap in my face to be honest, just couldnt get into it at all.

somehow Im still hoping theyll dust off the Old project justice/rival schools engine and remake it or use it for a new streetfighter
  • Broddie
    Options
    Alkinduz wrote: »

I owned Tech Romancer, SF 3 alpha, SF Double impact/third strike, capcom vs snk millinium fight 2000, project justice(goat!)

i had fighting vipers 2 ans calibur as well, the homies had powerstone, marvel vs capcom

street fighter 4 was a slap in my face to be honest, just couldnt get into it at all.

somehow Im still hoping theyll dust off the Old project justice/rival schools engine and remake it or use it for a new streetfighter

Mark of the Wolves was so good on Dreamcast. It the was the one fighting game besides Soul Calibur and Power Stone that I played the most. I really want a new Fatal Fury game, I miss Samurai Showdown too. I never really played any version of SF4 except a demo for 3DS. So I can't speak on that one.
  • Broddie
    Options
    crash team racing

That game is very underrated.
  • Alkinduz
    Options

Mark of the Wolves was so good on Dreamcast. It the was the one fighting game besides Soul Calibur and Power Stone that I played the most. I really want a new Fatal Fury game, I miss Samurai Showdown too. I never really played any version of SF4 except a demo for 3DS. So I can't speak on that one.

yeah mark of the wolves is One of the goat fighting games mos def....

? First real fighting game I played was the art of fighting in the arcade lol

I preordwred sumarai showdown for the xbox, waited months and months, game got postponed and eventually cancelled smh

closest Ive been to playing a fresh ff was king of fighters 12 on ps3, which wasnt even that bad but it basically was a half finished game, Snk still got it though hopefully they can kickstart something...