BLACK HISTORY QUESTION???

Options
BIGG WILL
BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Do you consider African History to be a apart of Black History (Month)? And why?

BLACK HISTORY QUESTION??? 53 votes

Yes
79%
gnsRecaptimus_Prime360texas409Focal PointzombieUnderMiSensitrACE_evidenceCoppermryounggunillestni99ainneKwan DaiGlockLesnar The Lonious Monkiron man1BodhiLPasttexasdaking88Ajackson17NothingButTheTruthVulcanRaven 42 votes
No
20%
DupacGot Em Shook700CapitalBCainBussy_Getta DarcSkiesCashmoneyDuxRahlowRubato GarciaBIGG WILL 11 votes

Comments

700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    ? i aint from africa
  • BIGG WILL
    Options
    No
    There is no full black history without it... Goat me.

@ThirdEyeFive

I think you have to explain a lil more to get that goat.
    Cain wrote: »
    No and here is why..........African history is everyone history especially since everything started and will end there. African American history is a subgenre of African history but I believe it should be celebrated separately. I believe all of us should know our roots from the Motherland but celebrate the accomplishments of the Black men and women here in the US differently.

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    No
    IMO i don't consider someone an african american, unless they're family is directly from african and they just happened to be born in the states.....

like if you got uncles, aunts, and grandparents that live in ghana, or mali or something like that and half your family speak their language, and you visit them n all that...

that's an African american.....

i ain't no african american.....kai is actually somali living in america....she's an african american......

i'm a black american....everybody in my family from here....
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Definitely it should be apart of the culture and DNA samples show which tribes a lot of Black Americans come from. I mean how hard it is to put Nzinga, Mansa Musa, and a few others to show the wonders of West African history.
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    louie armstrong & duke ellington >>>>>>>>> that ? you talking bruh
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    boosie & webbie>>>>>>>that ? yall talking

Free Boosie!!!!
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    2 different worlds
    different struggles though some can be paralleled
    different experiences
    now days we are different peoples due to all the admixture even in the smallest percentages
    Also "black" is a byword that was exclusively attributed to those of us in the USA that descend from the diaspora/slave trade that had our identity stripped from us.
    Africans still have their ethnic tribal identity so therefore it makes no sense for them to lay that aside and take on a vague identity attributed to us lost ones in the Western Hemisphere. If I knew I was a Fulani/Hausa/Igbo/Fon/Ashanti/Wolof/Mandink/etc etc why would I lay that aside in exchange for being called a vague term such as
    "black" or "African Amerikkkan", "? ", "colored"

At the end of the day... Igbo have their history
    Yoruba have their history
    blacks have our history

Keep in mind that Africa is the most diverse continent on the planet so there no sense in lumping us all in together with them. Black is our new tribal identity and we have our own history to take pride in.

• BIGG WILL
    Options
    No
    gns wrote: »
    Lol tf?
    Only to an AA, is being Black and being African(real african) different.

And y'all wonder y some of them ? don't like y'all.

Question to you and the forum:

Do yall think Black Cubans, Black Mexicans and Black Brazilians consider themselves the African (or at least there being no different)?

• Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Sure. My bloodline started there.
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    Your history starts with slavery?
    Lol
    the struggle of the black man in america does....
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    My history goes back further than the trans Atlantic slave trade
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Rahlow wrote: »
    Also "black" is a byword that was exclusively attributed to those of us in the USA that descend from the diaspora/slave trade that had our identity stripped from us.

Lmao. Where tf u ? get this ? from?
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    BIGG WILL wrote: »
    gns wrote: »
    Lol tf?
    Only to an AA, is being Black and being African(real african) different.

And y'all wonder y some of them ? don't like y'all.

Question to you and the forum:

Do yall think Black Cubans, Black Mexicans and Black Brazilians consider themselves the African (or at least there being no different)?

I've never seen a black messican pero Cubanos and Afro-Brazilians still celebrate their African culture today.
    Celebrate isn't necessarily even the right word. Some of them still identify as African and their lifestyle is a testament to that.
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    Options
    Yes
    No and here is why..........African history is everyone history especially since everything started and will end there. African American history is a subgenre of African history but I believe it should be celebrated separately. I believe all of us should know our roots from the Motherland but celebrate the accomplishments of the Black men and women here in the US differently.

African American history is American history, they just relegate the appreciation of it to the coldest, ? month of the year to put on the appearance that they really give a ? about Black Americans.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Yep

Personally the more I learn about africa and its rich history the more perspective I gain

Also the more I discover the more I feel a sense of kinship with the people there ...which I feel is important considering we share the same struggle with colorism, racism, etc
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Newsflash America does not like you
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yes

African American history is American history, they just relegate the appreciation of it to the coldest, ? month of the year to put on the appearance that they really give a ? about Black Americans.

Frederick Douglas birthday is in February for that very reason and push by blacks in america. Most do not realize how important and reason why we even have a black community today.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Du_Du wrote: »
    Your history starts with slavery?
    Lol
    the struggle of the black man in america does....

Pathetic ideology.
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    Options
    Yes

Frederick Douglas birthday is in February for that very reason and push by blacks in america. Most do not realize how important and reason why we even have a black community today.

So this makes segregated history acceptable or something we should be proud of?
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Yes

So this makes segregated history acceptable or something we should be proud of?

YUP! :)