BLACK HISTORY QUESTION???

Options

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Du_Du wrote: »
    nah, cuz blacks be ignorant as ? to african culture....

they don't know ? about it, be confused as ? wearing dashiki's for black history month, but don't even know what region or country the ? they rocking comes from....not to mention if that's even where they descend from....africa big as ? yo.......like ? humongous....and black people just be trying to group an entire continent in their history without knowing ? about it..

which is insulting as ? to the struggle of the black american in this country.....blacks went through slavery, were "freed" only to be persecuted, hunted, killed and suffered through generations of ? , yet still managed to make numerous contributions to this country...

there's so much rich history right here in america that blacks made for themselves....struggles they've persevered over..progress made in multiple fields....

we have our own strong history completely separate from whatever african ancestors we have, and we should embrace that instead of denying it....
    Rahlow wrote: »
    2 different worlds
    different struggles though some can be paralleled
    different experiences
    now days we are different peoples due to all the admixture even in the smallest percentages
    Also "black" is a byword that was exclusively attributed to those of us in the USA that descend from the diaspora/slave trade that had our identity stripped from us.
    Africans still have their ethnic tribal identity so therefore it makes no sense for them to lay that aside and take on a vague identity attributed to us lost ones in the Western Hemisphere. If I knew I was a Fulani/Hausa/Igbo/Fon/Ashanti/Wolof/Mandink/etc etc why would I lay that aside in exchange for being called a vague term such as
    "black" or "African Amerikkkan", "? ", "colored"

At the end of the day... Igbo have their history
    Yoruba have their history
    blacks have our history

Keep in mind that Africa is the most diverse continent on the planet so there no sense in lumping us all in together with them
    . Black is our new tribal identity and we have our own history to take pride in.
    That's the truth.

I still find out new things about Black America everyday. There are so many great stories, people, ideas that go overlooked.

• jono
    Options
    Newsflash America does not like you

And Africa doesn't know you.

That duality DuBois spoke of strikes again.

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    ? 's kinda disgusting, how so many would push the accomplishments of all those who struggled in this country aside to focus on an entire continent that wants nothing to do with the black american...
  • jono
    Options
    Yep

Personally the more I learn about africa and its rich history the more perspective I gain

Also the more I discover the more I feel a sense of kinship with the people there ...which I feel is important considering we share the same struggle with colorism, racism, etc

This is true as well. Aime Cesaire, Steve Biko and Frantz Fanon all spoke on this negritude or a black consciousness where we can find solace and support because we all go through the same issues.

The Algerian in France is the same as the Black man in America as was the Bantu in South Africa. A black person in a country where they were the minority and forced to assimilate with Europeans in order to survive.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    jono wrote: »

And u are assuming that off what?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    ? 's kinda disgusting, how so many would push the accomplishments of all those who struggled in this country aside to focus on an entire continent that wants nothing to do with the black american...

Straw man... No one is saying that...
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes

they don't know ? about it, be confused as ? wearing dashiki's for black history month, but don't even know what region or country the ? they rocking comes from....not to mention if that's even where they descend from....africa big as ? yo.......like ? humongous....and black people just be trying to group an entire continent in their history without knowing ? about it..

which is insulting as ? to the struggle of the black american in this country.....blacks went through slavery, were "freed" only to be persecuted, hunted, killed and suffered through generations of ? , yet still managed to make numerous contributions to this country...

there's so much rich history right here in america that blacks made for themselves....struggles they've persevered over..progress made in multiple fields....

we have our own strong history completely separate from whatever african ancestors we have, and we should embrace that instead of denying it....
    2 different worlds
    different experiences
    now days we are different peoples due to all the admixture even in the smallest percentages
    Also "black" is a byword that was exclusively attributed to those of us in the USA that descend from the diaspora/slave trade that had our identity stripped from us.
    Africans still have their ethnic tribal identity so therefore it makes no sense for them to lay that aside and take on a vague identity attributed to us lost ones in the Western Hemisphere. If I knew I was a Fulani/Hausa/Igbo/Fon/Ashanti/Wolof/Mandink/etc etc why would I lay that aside in exchange for being called a vague term such as

blacks have our history

Keep in mind that Africa is the most diverse continent on the planet so there no sense in lumping us all in together with them
    . Black is our new tribal identity and we have our own history to take pride in.
    That's the truth.

I still find out new things about Black America everyday. There are so many great stories, people, ideas that go overlooked.

How exactly would learning about Africa impede or put AA history to the side?
    Who sez u have to cram all this knowledge into one month?

Here's an amazing trick u guys should try......open up a history book on a prolific, black, freedom fighter,, on March 1st. I bet chall can do it.
  • jono
    Options

The fact we have no connections to the people there that aren't superficial like all of us having similar skin tones.

Don't share a language, cultural norms, societal norms, religion etc. what makes the Igbo the Igbo, what makes the Bantu...Bantu and not Igbo.
    gns wrote: »

2 different worlds
    different experiences

blacks have our history

That's the truth.

Here's an amazing trick u guys should try......open up a history book on a prolific, black, freedom fighter,, on March 1st. I bet chall can do it.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it would or is.

And we are talking about black history month....not all year round. Anyone with common sense can read any book at any time.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    i was gonna vote yes.. but then i remembered that i don't live in Africa..
    and this month is to celebrate black achievement and triumph HERE IN America..
  • Dupac
    edited February 2014
    Options
    No
    because africa is an ENTIRE CONTINENT with 10's of thousands if not millions of years of history tracing back to the origin of man himself....

black american history only goes back a few 100's of years

do the math.......if you're going to include african history with black american history.....naturally african history is going to over shadow.....which all but buries the struggles of the black man in america....

which in my opinion is much more important to the black man currently living in america.....

afirican history is awesome and all.....but to me a black man living in america...our history here is more important...as it should be
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes

The fact we have no connections to the people there that aren't superficial like all of us having similar skin tones.

Don't share a language, cultural norms, societal norms, religion etc. what makes the Igbo the Igbo, what makes the Bantu...Bantu and not Igbo.

2 different worlds
    different experiences

blacks have our history

That's the truth.

And we are talking about black history month....not all year round. Anyone with common sense can read any book at any time.

Ok why are you assu mm in that i personally have no connection to Africa and that african - american culture has no connection to africa
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    because africa is an ENTIRE CONTINENT with 10's of thousands if not millions of years of history tracing back to the origin of man himself....

black american history only goes back a few 100's of years

do the math.......if you're going to include african history with black american history.....naturally african history is going to over shadow.....which all but buries the struggles of the black man in america....

which in my opinion is much more important to the black man currently living in america.....

afirican history is awesome and all.....but to me a black man living in america...our history here is more important...as it should be

I don't see why emphasis can't be placed on American history while still having a role for African history as well other black Diaspora history.
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    but why combine it?

let black americans have their own unique history, as we have our own unique story....

we shouldn't have to piggy back off of africans to have relevance.....

we stand alone.... no one confuses the black american with a native african in any other setting.....so why blend the histories?
  • Dupac
    Options
    No
    because i think we're a unique people with our own personality?

ok
  • jono
    Options

2 different worlds
    different experiences

blacks have our history

That's the truth.

Ok why are you assu mm in that i personally have no connection to Africa and that african - american culture has no connection to africa

Who said I did? You personally can do whatever you want.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Copper wrote: »
    My history goes back further than the trans Atlantic slave trade

i guarantee yo history don't go back more than 60 years
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I am a history buff period. I enjoy reading and researching the past. However, I do pay a bit more attention to the struggle of Blacks across the globe. While there are some unique aspects to the Black struggle in America there are many parallels and similarities to Black Culture in other countries not just Africa. But in the Caribbean, and South America. I say study it all, draw your own conclusions while, gaining knowledge of a vast culture.
  • jono
    Options
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    Options
    Yes
    First you divide them, then you conquer them
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    First off, every month is black history month for me. And second, of course!!! Stop looking for something to divide us and embrace unity for a change.

Some of y'all are conditioned beyond repair.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    it's called black history month not african american history month so it is correct to study the history of all black peoples not just african americans.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    zombie wrote: »
    it's called black history month not african american history month so it is correct to study the history of all black peoples not just african americans.

I ain't tryin to study ? bout no black ass Haitian

? that

"Strickly 4 my ? "