Police ? unarmed kid holding Wii controller...

Options
water ur seeds
water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
... at his front door! smh RIP...

Seems to be alot of unamrmed people getting shot by the police as of late...

SOURCE:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/georgia-teen-holding-wii-remote-shot-cops-front-door-family-lawyer-article-1.1619842

Georgia teen holding Wii remote shot by cops at his front door: family lawyer

Christopher Roupe, 17, was shot by a Euharlee police officer on Friday when he answered the door. Police say he was pointing a handgun, not the video game device. Roupe was an aspiring Marine, his family said.

A Georgia teen who dreamed of being a Marine was killed by police at his front door while wielding only a Wii remote, the family lawyer claims.

Christopher Roupe, 17, of Euharlee was felled by a single police bullet when an unidentified officer arrived at the family mobile home to execute a probation violation warrant against his father, authorities said.

Meanwhile, police assert that the teen pointed a gun directly at the female officer, prompting her to blast the boy in the chest.

The circumstances of the tragic shooting last Friday night are under reviewed by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, according to reports.

“It just doesn't add up,” family attorney Cole Law told WSBTV. “He heard a knock at the door. He asked who it was, there was no response so he opened the door and upon opening the door he was immediately shot in the chest.”
Roupe, 17, was a member of the ROTC at Woodland High School and was planning to sign up for the Marines, his friends said.

He was a good kid,” his pal William Corson told WSBT.
Euharlee police said two officers arrived at roughly 7:35 p.m. and Roupe answered the door with a gun drawn — contradicting the lawyer and witness claims that he was unarmed, expect for the video game device.

The officer, who has been placed on administrative leave, broke down after she realized that she had shot the teen at point-blank range, witnesses said.

“She put her head in her hands and she was sobbing,” Ken Yates told WSBT. "Supposedly, he opened the door with a BB gun and in my opinion I think he was playing a game with his neighborhood buddies."

Roupe was transported to a hospital in Cartersville where he was pronounced dead. The result of the investigation will be forwarded to the district attorney’s office, police said.

Police directed all questions regarding the shooting to the GBI. A spokeswoman for the unit did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

A spokeswoman for the family directed all inquiries to their attorney, who could not be immediately reached for comment on Wednesday.

Comments

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What the ? was that ROTC doing for this kid to prepare him for the Marines?

wii20n-4-web.jpg
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What were they doing at his door with a gun out?
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • water ur seeds
    Options

Dont police always have to identify themselves when they knock? Especially if you asked 'who is it'... No one no matter how stupid you are would come to the door holding a gun of any sorts if you knew it was the police at your door!

Thinking about it, why would you come to the door holding a computer controller either, you normally drop the controller and run to the door...
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Poorly trained pussass cops.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dont police always have to identify themselves when they knock? Especially if you asked 'who is it'... No one no matter how stupid you are would come to the door holding a gun of any sorts if you knew it was the police at your door!

Thinking about it, why would you come to the door holding a computer controller either, you normally drop the controller and run to the door...

I answer the door all the time with my controller. Pause the game get up and answer the door. Once again people placing blame on the victim.
  • water ur seeds
    Options

I answer the door all the time with my controller. Pause the game get up and answer the door. Once again people placing blame on the victim.

Are you stupid? How am I placing the blame on the victim, clearly Im not, hence why I made the thread, and suggested that police should always have to identify themselves when they knock, if they did the kid wouldn't come to the door with a gun, because he would know he would be shot...

I pause the game drop the controller then open the door, you need two hands to open the door (my door anyway)...
  • antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The police officer killed that kid, because she was ready to ? when he opened his door.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    ...if, depending on what you're doing, you can hear and comprehend that it is, in fact, the police.
    ...if they actually identify themselves at all.

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why were they at his door with a gun out?
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its called a police state where the pigs get away with ever and anything
  • water ur seeds
    edited February 2014
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    ...if, depending on what you're doing, you can hear and comprehend that it is, in fact, the police.
    ...if they actually identify themselves at all.

The police are suppose to say it loud and clear, if the person is still shook at why someone is banging at their door, you would think they would again say 'who is it?' and again the police would have to identify themselves...

I cant see the kid answering his door with a gun in his hand, he cant of been that stupid if he wanted to join the Marines...

@thirdeyefive
    Yeah why did the police have their guns drawn? Usually they only knock on doors with their guns out if they feel the person is armed and dangerous...
  • GSonII
    Options
    Unless you are a police you don't know what they usually do. You just know what known protocol calls for.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kid ain't black.
    This is a win for us and a besmirchment(I prolly just made that up idk) on the popos without any black lives being lost
    #win
  • janklow
    Options
    The police are suppose to say it loud and clear, if the person is still shook at why someone is banging at their door, you would think they would again say 'who is it?' and again the police would have to identify themselves...
    the key word there has been bolded. do the police always do this? why are we assuming they did it in this case?

it's weird for them to say he came to the door with a gun and they had to IMMEDIATELY shoot him; one would think that the police wouldn't have knocked with their guns out... so obviously SOMETHING is up with this story.
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    the key word there has been bolded. do the police always do this? why are we assuming they did it in this case?

it's weird for them to say he came to the door with a gun and they had to IMMEDIATELY shoot him; one would think that the police wouldn't have knocked with their guns out... so obviously SOMETHING is up with this story.

Yeah thats Im saying, they are SUPPOSE to, Im not saying they did... And what Im also saying is, that if they did say it, and the kid didn't hear them, they are suppose to repeat it... Thats why I cant believe this kid had a gun, IF he did have a gun, either he's stupid or they didnt identify themselves...
  • janklow
    Options
    Yeah thats Im saying, they are SUPPOSE to, Im not saying they did... And what Im also saying is, that if they did say it, and the kid didn't hear them, they are suppose to repeat it...
    ah, okay, i think we're on the same page now
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    What the ? was that ROTC doing for this kid to prepare him for the Marines?

wii20n-4-web.jpg

I don't mean to make fun of the dead but he looks like Lawrence from full metal jacket "what is your major malfunction private!?!"
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you stupid? How am I placing the blame on the victim, clearly Im not, hence why I made the thread, and suggested that police should always have to identify themselves when they knock, if they did the kid wouldn't come to the door with a gun, because he would know he would be shot...

I pause the game drop the controller then open the door, you need two hands to open the door (my door anyway)...

The wii controller has a ? it so it doesn't fly into the tv while playing. He may have just had it hanging from his wrist if the cops didn't fabricate that part as well.
  • janklow
    Options
    a little more info on this case:
    Cop Who Fatally Shot Wii Controller-Wielding Teen Had Been Fired Before
    Three weeks ago, Beth Gatny, a police officer in Euharlee, Ga., fatally shot 17-year-old Christopher Roupe after he opened the door for cops. According to the family and some witnesses the teenager was holding a Wii controller (which is a white stick, more or less) when he was shot once in the chest. Police claim Roupe was holding a handgun, and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has not yet completed its report on the incident. Gatny remains on paid leave. Now, 11 Alive, the NBC affiliate in Georgia, reports that Gatny, who has been employed with Euharlee police for less than a year, had been fired from her last job:

Gatny worked at the Acworth Police Department for 10 years prior to that and personnel records indicate that she was written up and suspended a number of times for various infractions.

In a timeline, her supervisors say she "refused to follow orders" on everything from filing paperwork to carrying her walkie talkie.

Other details:

Gatny was involved in four car accidents in two years.
    In 2007, she reportedly "left her duty belt, along with her weapon..with a civilian employee" while she had her picture taken with someone.

In 2008, while confronting three suspects, she fired her service weapon. An internal investigation found the suspect was trying to remove his backpack. She was convinced he was going for a gun, but a fellow officer said he never thought the suspect was armed.

Internal Affairs concluded she should not be punished because the initial call for service said the suspects could have been armed.

We’ve covered many police officers with the type of records and background that ought to, by common sense alone, end their law enforcement careers and preclude them from future employment as police officers. I’ve suggested zero tolerance for cops. Every time an irresponsible gun owner does something stupid or someone commits a prominent enough crime using a gun, the incident is used by anti-gun activists to challenge the notion that individuals have the right to arm themselves for self-defense. Yet the right to a gun is heavily restricted. A prior felony, for example, led to a 20 year sentence for a Philly man who shot his gun into the air. In the meantime, when former law enforcement officers are involved in acts of “gun violence,” their background is often not highlighted. For example, the Florida man who shot a fellow moviegoer for texting in the theater was a retired police officer, but it didn’t stop this anti-stand your ground editorial cartoon from using the incident to draw a broader point. Yet, even in states like New York with restrictive gun laws, politicians have carved out exemptions not just for law enforcement but former law enforcement, like the Florida man who fatally shot a texter. Police officers around the country are pushing back against the NFL’s no guns rule, not because they believe we all have the right to bear arms, but because they believe they do. How sick is that worldview?

Beth Gatny shot and killed a 17-year-old boy. She should be presumed innocent in a court of law until proven guilty, a right that needs to be preserved for all accused. But Gatny isn’t enjoying those rights right now, but privileges carved out for her and other police officers around the country, in union contracts often signed by local government officials long out of power. Earlier today, for example, I wrote about a Baltimore cop who choked his girlfriend’s puppy to death and then sent pictures of the dead dog to her. He admitted as much, and has been charged with animal cruelty. But he, too, remains employed with the police department. Unlike Gatny, he is suspended without pay until he is convicted. But the fact that a police officer can choke a puppy to death and admit it, or shoot a 17-year-old in the chest after he opens the door, or brutally beat a homeless man to death, and expect to keep their jobs until they have their “due process” is a ? of the term. Being fired by a police department is not the same as being treated as a guilty person, it would be an acknowledgement that police officers are held to an extremely high standard because government has decided to give them costumes, guns, badges, and the wide discretion to use them. In too much of the United States, that higher standard simply doesn’t exist.

Beth Gatny and Alec Taylor, the puppy-choker, and every other cop with obviously poor character ought to be fired, and the police departments and municipalities that employ them should have that power. Only then will it not be Orwellian to call them “public servants.”
  • GSonII
    Options
    a little more info on this case:
    Cop Who Fatally Shot Wii Controller-Wielding Teen Had Been Fired Before
    Three weeks ago, Beth Gatny, a police officer in Euharlee, Ga., fatally shot 17-year-old Christopher Roupe after he opened the door for cops. According to the family and some witnesses the teenager was holding a Wii controller (which is a white stick, more or less) when he was shot once in the chest. Police claim Roupe was holding a handgun, and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has not yet completed its report on the incident. Gatny remains on paid leave. Now, 11 Alive, the NBC affiliate in Georgia, reports that Gatny, who has been employed with Euharlee police for less than a year, had been fired from her last job:

Gatny worked at the Acworth Police Department for 10 years prior to that and personnel records indicate that she was written up and suspended a number of times for various infractions.

In a timeline, her supervisors say she "refused to follow orders" on everything from filing paperwork to carrying her walkie talkie.

Other details:

Gatny was involved in four car accidents in two years.
    In 2007, she reportedly "left her duty belt, along with her weapon..with a civilian employee" while she had her picture taken with someone.

In 2008, while confronting three suspects, she fired her service weapon. An internal investigation found the suspect was trying to remove his backpack. She was convinced he was going for a gun, but a fellow officer said he never thought the suspect was armed.

Internal Affairs concluded she should not be punished because the initial call for service said the suspects could have been armed.

We’ve covered many police officers with the type of records and background that ought to, by common sense alone, end their law enforcement careers and preclude them from future employment as police officers. I’ve suggested zero tolerance for cops. Every time an irresponsible gun owner does something stupid or someone commits a prominent enough crime using a gun, the incident is used by anti-gun activists to challenge the notion that individuals have the right to arm themselves for self-defense. Yet the right to a gun is heavily restricted. A prior felony, for example, led to a 20 year sentence for a Philly man who shot his gun into the air. In the meantime, when former law enforcement officers are involved in acts of “gun violence,” their background is often not highlighted. For example, the Florida man who shot a fellow moviegoer for texting in the theater was a retired police officer, but it didn’t stop this anti-stand your ground editorial cartoon from using the incident to draw a broader point. Yet, even in states like New York with restrictive gun laws, politicians have carved out exemptions not just for law enforcement but former law enforcement, like the Florida man who fatally shot a texter. Police officers around the country are pushing back against the NFL’s no guns rule, not because they believe we all have the right to bear arms, but because they believe they do. How sick is that worldview?

Beth Gatny shot and killed a 17-year-old boy. She should be presumed innocent in a court of law until proven guilty, a right that needs to be preserved for all accused. But Gatny isn’t enjoying those rights right now, but privileges carved out for her and other police officers around the country, in union contracts often signed by local government officials long out of power. Earlier today, for example, I wrote about a Baltimore cop who choked his girlfriend’s puppy to death and then sent pictures of the dead dog to her. He admitted as much, and has been charged with animal cruelty. But he, too, remains employed with the police department. Unlike Gatny, he is suspended without pay until he is convicted. But the fact that a police officer can choke a puppy to death and admit it, or shoot a 17-year-old in the chest after he opens the door, or brutally beat a homeless man to death, and expect to keep their jobs until they have their “due process” is a ? of the term. Being fired by a police department is not the same as being treated as a guilty person, it would be an acknowledgement that police officers are held to an extremely high standard because government has decided to give them costumes, guns, badges, and the wide discretion to use them. In too much of the United States, that higher standard simply doesn’t exist.

Beth Gatny and Alec Taylor, the puppy-choker, and every other cop with obviously poor character ought to be fired, and the police departments and municipalities that employ them should have that power. Only then will it not be Orwellian to call them “public servants.”

Police are not public servants, they are obviously against the public when they put those suits on just as the rest of there pig pals

• janklow
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »
    Police are not public servants, they are obviously against the public when they put those suits on just as the rest of there pig pals
    i wouldn't go that far because, honestly, i do think you have to have some level of a police force. there's undoubtedly good people doing the police thing SOMEWHERE.

...but a lot of those people undermine themselves by not being willing to speak up about the ? OTHER cops do. or by doing outrageous dirt. so much of the ? that makes cops look bad is entirely self-inflicted.

• GSonII
    Options
    i wouldn't go that far because, honestly, i do think you have to have some level of a police force. there's undoubtedly good people doing the police thing SOMEWHERE.

...but a lot of those people undermine themselves by not being willing to speak up about the ? OTHER cops do. or by doing outrageous dirt. so much of the ? that makes cops look bad is entirely self-inflicted.

You don't have to look any further than some of these recent verdicts to see that all of these people who are given these unnatural amounts of power and control are against the general public. Poll America and I bet they did not agree with the Trayvon Martin verdict and others. You don't need kings or people making decisions for everyone. On the other hand, the decisions should reflect the majority of the general public if that is who you claim to represent. Not some jury of a few, judge, or other law enforcement officials.
  • janklow
    Options
    Poll America and I bet they did not agree with the Trayvon Martin verdict and others. You don't need kings or people making decisions for everyone.
    on the other hand, i absolutely DON'T want to poll America and run with the result when it comes to resolving verdicts or ? knows what else
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Any officer foolish enough to speak out on the injustices of the police department get's rode on mafia style. Look at what they did to Christopher Dorner. They cost that ? his job for tryna be one of the honest cops and report on the police brutality that another cop was taking part in. Then this ? tried to go on a cop killing spree. Best case scenario you just get pushed out of the police department and you don't go on a killing spree.