ESPN to Air ‘Outside the Lines’ Special Report on ‘The N-Word’ Sunday...

Options

Comments

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *Turns up Nas's "Project Roach"*
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    marc123 wrote: »
    ? ! ? and more ? . ? this mind control hoe ? ? .

Im insulted by this debate over a ? word.

classic bait and switch by hoe ass America. keep em bickering over non important nonsense while we keep the wool over their eyes. and completely ignore the true issues within the black community.

we rantin over what we should be referred to. while ignoring issues.

the number of blacks in prison for non violent and petty drug crimes
    the number of children being born into single parent homes.
    the high number of black teenagers dropping outta high school.
    food corporations filling our communities with ? food options. that do nothing but lead to high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity.
    the violent crime and murders within our community.
    the fact alot of our young ppl are bein brain washed to work for them. jus to earn pay check. while we give it right back to them buying use less nonsense. that has NO value. such as jordans, rims, jewelry etc. jus to seem cool.
    the mental attack on young black women where they led to believe the European vision beauty is the true accepted beauty.
    jus to name a few

? them and every thing they love. for still coming at us with this ? in 2014. and ? any ? who takes part in a debate over the ? word ? or ? . ? em all

You know what's eerie some old ? in the espn comment section of the Olympics said all this, he said why worry or care about Russia's humans rights problems when we need to be worrying about how the USA treats American blacks.

• A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

classic bait and switch by hoe ass America. keep em bickering over non important nonsense while we keep the wool over their eyes. and completely ignore the true issues within the black community.

food corporations filling our communities with ? food options. that do nothing but lead to high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity.
    the fact alot of our young ppl are bein brain washed to work for them. jus to earn pay check. while we give it right back to them buying use less nonsense. that has NO value. such as jordans, rims, jewelry etc. jus to seem cool.
    the mental attack on young black women where they led to believe the European vision beauty is the true accepted beauty.
    jus to name a few

? them and every thing they love. for still coming at us with this ? in 2014. and ? any ? who takes part in a debate over the ? word ? or ? . ? em all

You know what's eerie some old ? in the espn comment section of the Olympics said all this, he said why worry or care about Russia's humans rights problems when we need to be worrying about how the USA treats American blacks.

Damn, that's real ? .

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    This is why i have to remove myself from the masses so much. If u dont, it'll drive you insane. Like, why dont people understand context. Why is this so hard to understand.

Why did they barely even differentiate between ? and ? !?!?!?

Sometimes you just have to be resigned to the fact that the masses r dumb.

Mike Wilbon is the only 1 i trust to talk on a subject like that. For some reason, athletes and celebs are too 'cool' to just shed the PR and just...talk.

But regardless...i just cant watch ? like that.

• twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That was a pointless debate, let's just say if you stop saying ? /? , will the world be a better place for black people? If blacks/whites want to discuss systematic racism and privilege then we're going somewhere.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What irked me was they lumped er with ? and acted ? like there wasn't a different context. Riley cooper used it the hateful way. Black folk saying my ? and rappers using aint the same but they willfully playing ignorant for controversy
  • aneed123
    Options
  • aneed123
    Options
    Janelle Hill kept it 100
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    They gonna ban THIS in the NFL? This is so ? ? , jesus. Its a thinly veiled excuse to go into Black Players pockets and these ? ? like Whitlock are all on board. ? them. Ain't no white players yelling the N-Word on the field, ? outta here.

These old bitter black people need to sit the ? down because this type of short-sighted thinking is why they SUPPORTED 100:1 sentencing for ? ? in the 80s. ? . Outta. Here.

I don't just want Whitlock to drop dead of a heart attack because then all these other sports journalists would eulogize dude. No. I want him to get convicted of 100 counts of child molestation, THEN die of a heart attack so that no-one will ever dare mention that stupid fat ? again. Erase him from history, like Chris Benoit in WWE tapes.

? any white person with good intentions trying to tell us not to say this word. Shut your ? ass up. My mulatto ass even told my white momma that. Not in those words but DAMN NEAR. My pops cringed like dayum, but he ain't disagree LOL.
  • Swiffness!
    Options
    bignorm wrote: »
    This is wack as ? , and shouldn't be on tv.
    I'm tired of whites trying to understand our culture.
    You cant understand, it aint in you to.
    The ? ..

This will go how every other mainstream discussion on ? goes.

-Background on black history in America
    -older black folks' take on the word v. younger black folks' take
    -some white person/people not understanding the difference between when we say it and when they say it; cue Riley Cooper and Richie incognito
    -some white person who says it's an ugly word and nobody should say it
    -fin
    -sportscenter at 9
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Why is it so damn hard for people to differ content and intent. You can tell when someone uses it in a hateful way
    S2J wrote: »
    This is why i have to remove myself from the masses so much. If u dont, it'll drive you insane. Like, why dont people understand context. Why is this so hard to understand.

Why did they barely even differentiate between ? and ? !?!?!?

Sometimes you just have to be resigned to the fact that the masses r dumb.

Mike Wilbon is the only 1 i trust to talk on a subject like that. For some reason, athletes and celebs are too 'cool' to just shed the PR and just...talk.

But regardless...i just cant watch ? like that.

jus to name a few

^^^ - real talk, all this!

UNFORTUNATELY THOUGH....you misguided black youth don't know what's best for you, so we'll just let some ? , old senile black folk, and "good" white people that cry whenever they look at a picture of MLK Jr teach you how to talk correctly.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is stupid. When you're a kid you're taught to not let words hurt you, so why are so many grown ass people still running around crying about this word? This ain't 50 years ago. Back then the word was powerful because it carried all the weight of racial oppression behind it. Racism is still here, but that word has been rendered all but powerless. A white person calls you that to your force and in most issues you could probably slap the ? out of them and expect nothing more than a slap on the wrist if that. And they know it, that's why most of them aren't brave enough to do that anymore.

People need to realize that words only have as much power as we give them. This ? would have been died away or lost all of its original edge if people didn't insist on making a huge issue out of it every time some ignorant person uses it out of pocket. Let that ? go.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

? any white person with good intentions trying to tell us not to say this word. Shut your ? ass up. My mulatto ass even told my white momma that. Not in those words but DAMN NEAR. My pops cringed like dayum, but he ain't disagree LOL.

tumblr_mjhbynZOgI1qcmnsoo3_400.gif
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    I am trying to stop saying the word. I find myself using it when I am with friends that use it all the time. Too me it is like using curse words in general. You use the words to express yourself but only in certain settings. A person that curses all the time usually finds themselves at a lost for words when in a situation where cursing is frowned upon. I find is easier not to use curse words at all or lessen my use of the words. Just like I am finding it easier to express myself in certain settings without using ? or ? .

But someone on the show brought up a good point. The majority of the convo about the N-word comes from people that shouldn't be saying the word at all. Jamel used the same example I did. ? . If a women calls her friend a ? , it may be cool. But when a dude say it. Watch out!
  • caddo man
    Options
    And just to clear things up. Yall know this ? with a A and ? with a ER.......... is some BS. People always f- up a word. Most people that say the word is usually saying it while not using the Queen's english. So miss me with that "there is a difference" BS. It is the same word used in different context. That is it.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    And just to clear things up. Yall know this ? with a A and ? with a ER.......... is some BS. People always f- up a word. Most people that say the word is usually saying it while not using the Queen's english. So miss me with that "there is a difference" BS. It is the same word used in different context. That is it.

Ngga are you serious?

Wow. I've never heard a black man say this. Scratch that...I;ve never heard ANYONE say this.

How old are you? Where are you from? I need to know the backstory of an adult black male in America who could fix his mouth (keyboard) to say some dumb ? like this.

@caddo_man
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can agree with a certain point that ? isnt always used "lovingly" between other ? sometimes its the icing on the cake of a vile action..as opposed to ? which is often..... or as itake it a prelude to a vile act.

However, if they would have said we dont tolerate the use of slurs in totality it wouldnt be as ridiculous of a notion of a 15 yarf flag for ? you cant hear anyhow....

Unless a qb is at the line saying ? ? ?

Or if someone spikes the ball and says take that ?

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Ngga are you serious?

Wow. I've never heard a black man say this. Scratch that...I;ve never heard ANYONE say this.

How old are you? Where are you from? I need to know the backstory of an adult black male in America who could fix his mouth (keyboard) to say some dumb ? like this.

@caddo_man

He's right. There is no difference between the 2 words. It's similar to a person up north saying it vs. a person down south. People in the south sound like they end every -er with -a to people who are not from the south.

This is why black people who know what it really is don't allow anyone but black people to say the word, and sometimes not even that. Some black people don't allow anyone to say it around them. You can't pull the wool over our eyes.

... Predicting your response, I also want to point out that these ? ass entertainers do not speak for black people as a whole, and never will. They speak for themselves and at the very most, their family legacy. Not to mention, a lot of times they're not genuine with their statements since they're trying to sell jerseys or albums or sell a brand.
  • aneed123
    Options
    No . I never in my life said or heard another black person say ? . Only whites and other races .... Black folk say ? .
  • Swiffness!
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    To me it is like using curse words in general. You use the words to express yourself but only in certain settings. A person that curses all the time usually finds themselves at a lost for words when in a situation where cursing is frowned upon.

That's the thing...

black person calling black person n-word = SWEAR WORD

WHITE person calling black person n-word = RACIAL SLUR

But is the NFL gonna pass a rule banning "? " or talmbout a dude's mother? Of course not.

Deadspin Ether'd this ? from both the NFL and ESPN beautifully:

In any case, the show sucked, for the same reason the proposed rule change sucks: Even after 400 years of slavery and de jure and de facto racism in this country, we still don't know how to talk about "? ." We treat the word as a matter of etiquette, as a thing one shouldn't say in civilized society, and rarely reckon with what it actually means for someone to say it.

---

We don't like to talk about this, and so we talk around it instead. We get conversations about rap lyrics, referenda on saggy pants. We get rules and hourlong specials devoted to the forms of racism rather than any exploration of the thing itself. We don't talk about where it comes from, or how it expresses itself. We don't even talk about what it actually meant for Richie Incognito to call Jonathan Martin a "half-? ? ," or the power dynamic in play there—a dynamic that doesn't change if you take one freighted word out of Richie Incognito's vocabulary. The word "? " didn't give Incognito license to terrorize the guy he perceived as his lesser; it gave him a tool.

Another part of history, though, is change. In ESPN's strongest segment, a camera crew went to Teaneck High School in New Jersey to tape kids' reactions to the word. Many of them used it and heard it all the time. Most of the time, they were unfazed, because of its context. The sight of their young faces, mixed in among those of older dudes like Mean Joe Greene, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Jason Whitlock, did more than anything else to show how much this debate was about a generation gap. Older folks hear the word, and it immediately summons all sorts of specters—the violence Whitlock described, maybe, or the memory of indignities endured. Younger folks hear the word now and—depending on the context—shrug. (I'm 25. I say "? " all day, every day, and can't remember once directing the word at someone in unironic derision or hatred.)

The evolution of the word is pretty unfathomable and even tragic to many old people, but it's no less real for being resisted by the sort of people who furrow their brows on news specials. There's something healthy about it, in any case. It acknowledges the situational nature of language, that context matters.

In this respect, the NFL's proposed rule is hilariously wrongheaded. It plucks the word out of context, out of history, fixing a precise value on the use of a racial slur. Players are penalized 15 yards for saying "? "—not five or 10, or 20 yards, or a down, but 15 yards. Worse than holding, not as bad as intentional grounding. The rule is meant to stop a mountain troll like Incognito from looking across the line of scrimmage at a black player and calling him "? ." But if such a rule were ever implemented and interpreted with the NFL's usual literal-mindedness, it would only end up policing and punishing more young black men who grew up with the word as a term of endearment than white men who would wield it with malice. Does anyone really think that a black player congratulating a teammate with "My ? !" is using the same word that Richie Incognito was using?

The problem isn't the word "? ." The problem is racism. Nothing is accomplished by conflating the two.

http://deadspin.com/what-espn-and-the-nfl-dont-talk-about-when-they-talk-a-1529286618

----

and of course, the top comment was GOAT:

NFL: "? " is a bad word that drags us back to the days of slavery. Now step on this scale and run the 40 yard dash so we can measure your physical attributes and let rich white men decide where you get to live and work.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • aneed123
    Options
    Give me an example if a black person saying ?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The no fun league strikes again.

Can't have touchdown celebrations because it hurts the other team's feelings.

Now you can't even talk how you want to talk because some dumb ? used a word he shouldn't have and had to be punished for it.

All it boils down to is control. That's it, there's nothing fancy or highly intellectual about it. Just like when the NBA comes up with stupid rules that have no impact on the game.

It's all about reminding these millionaire, mostly black players that they ain't ? but highly paid employees and that the owners are the bosses and they can control your every move, how you dress and now how you speak.

It's ridiculous. It's not about the world ? at all, it's about corporate control over other people.
  • caddo man
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    No . I never in my life said or heard another black person say ? . Only whites and other races .... Black folk say ? .

How many black you know actually sound out the ER in any word. Unless he is giving a dissertation, he is not it.

Let do this.

http://www.scrabblefinder.com/ends-with/er/

Have someone that uses the n word, read ten words off this list and tell me how many sound out the er vs using ah sound instead. Then you will see my point.