ESPN to Air ‘Outside the Lines’ Special Report on ‘The N-Word’ Sunday...

Options
13»

Comments

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most unnecessary ESPN special ever
  • trACE_evidence
    trACE_evidence Members Posts: 994 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The campaign against the word ? is only to make white people feel more comfortable.

Some don't want anyone using the word if they can't use it.

I'm also starting to feel like certain people want the word eliminated so people forget where the word actually came from in this country.

"If we eradicate the word ? /? , in 50-100 years we'll be able to act like slavery/Jim crow never even happened."

? is a constant reminder of this county's unsavory history.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The campaign against the word ? is only to make white people feel more comfortable.

I'm also starting to feel like certain people want the word eliminated so people forget where the word actually came from in this country.

"If we eradicate the word ? /? , in 50-100 years we'll be able to act like slavery/Jim crow never even happened."

Honestly, you can't put this on white people. Black people are the ones that make an issue out of it. You can't get mad because white people want try and make it so that's it's not an issue anymore. Take a step back, and think about how stupid it it is for us to publicaly use that word in everyday life, music, movies, etc... but then turn around and get mad when someone of another race uses it. Black people want it both ways, but that ? isn't realistic. You either want the word to disappear from the country's lexicon or you want to redefine it. If you want it to disappear, no one should use it. If you want to redefine it, then you can't get mad at others when they use it as long as it's according to the new definition and not the old.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly, you can't put this on white people. Black people are the ones that make an issue out of it. You can't get mad because white people want try and make it so that's it's not an issue anymore. Take a step back, and think about how stupid it it is for us to publicaly use that word in everyday life, music, movies, etc... but then turn around and get mad when someone of another race uses it. Black people want it both ways, but that ? isn't realistic. You either want the word to disappear from the country's lexicon or you want to redefine it. If you want it to disappear, no one should use it. If you want to redefine it, then you can't get mad at others when they use it as long as it's according to the new definition and not the old.

First off, white people have tons of double standards they live by, so miss me with the both ways comment.

Second, we can't control what the entertainers say and do, and we want to make it clear that they don't represent us. Just because JayZ says "? this ? that", doesn't mean I say it, nor does it mean I'm okay with him saying it.

Most of us who do use "? ," use it behind close doors or with our (black) friends, the same way every other race talks completely different in an unfamiliar environment vs. when they're with their friends.

... Ain't nobody redefining ? , and we're DEFINITELY not getting rid of the word. The rules will stay as long as we have real (black) men in this world. If you're a non-black person and you say the word, YOU WILL GET CHECKED, and that ? WILL NEVER change.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    No . I never in my life said or heard another black person say ? . Only whites and other races .... Black folk say ? .

They are the same word!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4

What was Chris Rock referring to when he said "? " in his set? Was it closer to your definition of ? or your definition of ? ?
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options

the bolded is really all this boils down to. i've had to take a step back & curtail my usage of ? in public around certain people cuz non black people (mainly just white ppl tho) don't know how to act when it comes to that word. everything in black culture is supposed to be for everybody on some "you guys do it all the time!" but every other culture gets respect for their nuances. it's ? .

i came out of a bar last month & saw these jewish dudes (only knew they were jewish because there was a bar mitzvah down the street) talkin & called somebody a ? & they busted out laughin. me & the people i was with thought nothing of it cuz it's none of our business. people refuse to extend that courtesy to us tho.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just can't...

When it comes to this word people become absolute genius-morons.

@ nothinbuttheruth please gtfoh w/ that textbook argument for a real-life issue.
    Look man. Idk how much simplere to explain this:

What's up boy!?
    Shut up boy.

Husband to wife: Hi sweetheart
    Male employer to female employee: Sweetheart thats not how we do things...

Same words. Different context, Thus different meaning.

THE ? IS NOT DIFFICULT.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

First off, white people have tons of double standards they live by, so miss me with the both ways comment.

Second, we can't control what the entertainers say and do, and we want to make it clear that they don't represent us. Just because JayZ says "? this ? that", doesn't mean I say it, nor does it mean I'm okay with him saying it.

Most of us who do use "? ," use it behind close doors or with our (black) friends, the same way every other race talks completely different in an unfamiliar environment vs. when they're with their friends.

... Ain't nobody redefining ? , and we're DEFINITELY not getting rid of the word. The rules will stay as long as we have real (black) men in this world. If you're a non-black person and you say the word, YOU WILL GET CHECKED, and that ? WILL NEVER change.

? you sound like a kid on some "They do it, so why can't I?" ? .

And I get what you're saying. You can't control what other people do. But if you ain't complaining about all the black people using the word in public, then why complain about the obvious consequences of that, which are other groups thinking it's fair game.

And the ? has been redefined. What are you talking about. When cat's go around saying "What's up my ? ?" That most definitely means something different than it originally did. And why wouldn't you want to get rid of the word? Is there something good about keeping a harmful word around? I don't get it. Somebody is going to have to explain to me why you would choose to continue to give a word that much power. It's like some people just want something to cry about.
  • trACE_evidence
    trACE_evidence Members Posts: 994 ✭✭✭
    Options

? you sound like a kid on some "They do it, so why can't I?" ? .

And I get what you're saying. You can't control what other people do. But if you ain't complaining about all the black people using the word in public, then why complain about the obvious consequences of that, which are other groups thinking it's fair game.

And the ? has been redefined. What are you talking about. When cat's go around saying "What's up my ? ?" That most definitely means something different than it originally did. And why wouldn't you want to get rid of the word? Is there something good about keeping a harmful word around? I don't get it. Somebody is going to have to explain to me why you would choose to continue to give a word that much power. It's like some people just want something to cry about.

There are plenty of hurtful words out there. Why start with this one? Especially if the word has been redefined for us to use if WE feel like we want to.

The ONLY reason is to make people that aren't black feel more comfortable.

And even if every black person on earth stopped using the word, do you really think it would go away?

This move by the NFL is about control. It has nothing to do with how horrible they believe the word is.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

c/s all the above. under rated posted. my ?
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is stupid. When you're a kid you're taught to not let words hurt you, so why are so many grown ass people still running around crying about this word? .

co ? ? sign