Samsung Galaxy S5 coming in April

Options

Comments

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Lonious Monk yea the antennas in these Samsung phones are trash.

It's cool when I'm in Metro areas, but even spotty then sometimes.

As far as the iPhones they run smooth as hell the issue is that Apple doesn't pack all the bells and whistles into their devices.

The operating system is closed and doesn't allow tinkering either.

For example, I love my Swype keyboard, but if I have to switch back I'm a be restricted to their stock one.

When it comes down to making calls and strictly doing the job the phone was meant to do though Apple is hard to beat and this is coming from a person who isn't a fanboy of either.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CJ wrote: »
    Yeah I'm due for an upgrade but imma wait to see the iPhone 6 and nexus 6.

Hard switching from an iPhone tho because nothing else runs like it. The ? just works everything is smooth & optimized.

It wouldn't be as hard as you think. Most high end Android phones run smooth. That said, if you're not very skilled with tech, getting the most out of an Android phone may see a little more difficult than with an iPhone.

I am somewhat skilled and there are great android phones i almost jumped on the nexus 5 but imma hold out.

I have somewhat of an infatuation with smartphones so i know everything everyone has to offer but i haven't used one android phone that runs as smooth as an iphone.

Windows phones run more smooth than android.

If i go android tho it'll be something nexus, moto or htc.

Vanilla android or close to it>>>all that extra ? samsung throws at you.

I guess I don't really know what you mean by smooth. I don't have any problems with my Droid DNA. It's smooth as butter. I won't say it's always as stable as an iPhone, but iPhones don't feel any smoother or more responsive.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah I'm due for an upgrade but imma wait to see the iPhone 6 and nexus 6.

Hard switching from an iPhone tho because nothing else runs like it. The ? just works everything is smooth & optimized.

It wouldn't be as hard as you think. Most high end Android phones run smooth. That said, if you're not very skilled with tech, getting the most out of an Android phone may see a little more difficult than with an iPhone.

I am somewhat skilled and there are great android phones i almost jumped on the nexus 5 but imma hold out.

I have somewhat of an infatuation with smartphones so i know everything everyone has to offer but i haven't used one android phone that runs as smooth as an iphone.

Windows phones run more smooth than android.

If i go android tho it'll be something nexus, moto or htc.

Vanilla android or close to it>>>all that extra ? samsung throws at you.

I guess I don't really know what you mean by smooth. I don't have any problems with my Droid DNA. It's smooth as butter. I won't say it's always as stable as an iPhone, but iPhones don't feel any smoother or more responsive.

Then you haven't used an iPhone lately.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Yes, I have. My wife's whole family and one of my homeboys are iPhone people. I'm played around with the 4, 4S, 5, and 5S. None of them are notably smoother than my DNA with the exception of maybe the 5S and that shouldn't be surprising since its a newer phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCRaHhzKEJw

That's a comparison of the DNA and iPhone 5. Their performance is on par. The iphone might be a fraction of a second more responsive to touch than the DNA but in practice its of minimal effect. Ever since Google implemented Project Butter the difference in smoothness between Android phone and iPhones has drastically decreased. Like I said there is a little bit of a difference there, but I wouldn't say it's one of the primary issues that should have you choosing one phone over the other, at least not IMO.
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? looks wack....I'll stick to my iPhone and Nexus series
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Got both.

Bluetooth doesnt work so seamlessly as my iphone.

If you know how to hack ya iPhone you can get more games n apps off that but the gap is closing more everyday between the mac n android market.

Sorta prefer the stability n smaller size of the iphone.

However I like the battery n ability to upgrade to 128gb removable memory of the Samsung over the iPhone.

Youtube vids actually look better on the iPhone due to the smaller screen making the resolution seem better but im I prefer the experience on a Samsung.

Still havent used the IR, I really want to use my Samsung as a remote.

Cam is better on the Samsung.

Still trying to incorporate my iTunes with my Samsung like I did my iphone.

Im glad I have both for now, but overall the Samsung has the upside and is better. Also my first Samsung phone after years with the iphone.

I was also looking into a Oppo phone n HTC one M8, before I got the Samsung.
  • Crude_
    Options
    Got both.

Bluetooth doesnt work so seamlessly as my iphone.

If you know how to hack ya iPhone you can get more games n apps off that but the gap is closing more everyday between the mac n android market.

Sorta prefer the stability n smaller size of the iphone.

However I like the battery n ability to upgrade to 128gb removable memory of the Samsung over the iPhone.

Youtube vids actually look better on the iPhone due to the smaller screen making the resolution seem better but im I prefer the experience on a Samsung.

Still havent used the IR, I really want to use my Samsung as a remote.

Cam is better on the Samsung.

Still trying to incorporate my iTunes with my Samsung like I did my iphone.

Im glad I have both for now, but overall the Samsung has the upside and is better. Also my first Samsung phone after years with the iphone.

I was also looking into a Oppo phone n HTC one M8, before I got the Samsung.

One of the more unbiased posts I've read in a while concerning the smart phone wars.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Just to add both samsung n the iphone dont have adobe flash for their web browsers, the aesthetically pleasing oppo does. This is a must for streaming. However I could still look at ? more easily using an iphone as they somehow stream in live footage using QuickTime I guess.

Hopefully Adobe Flash is built into all mobile web browsers in the future.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I'd say that if you're looking for an Android phone but prefer the stability of an iPhone, you probably shouldn't go with a Samsung phone. They make good phones with a lot of bells and whistles, but as a result they end up a little less stable and less smooth than some other phones.

Motorola dropped some smartphones not long ago that ran software pretty close to stock Android and were closer to the iPhone in size. They are a little dated now. I wonder if they are dropping new versions this year.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Love my S5 so far
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    I hooked up the smart remote with cable box and tv. Ordered a 256gb internal memory card for $77 bucks off ebay. The more apps I use and apps I deleted, the better the experience is for me.

I had to tweek alot of ? but my iphone is almost completely replaced by the s5. Hell I even use this as my wireless mouse.

All I gotta figure out is to how to sync this with my itunes, copy n paste image locations instead if images (iphone does that easily but my s5 doesn't do it with the "internet" browser, maybe with the Opera, Firefox, and Safari will act differently), and the bluetooth pairing with my car.

The iphone still has better sounds but I think I can tweek that on the s5. We'll see.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    I'd say that if you're looking for an Android phone but prefer the stability of an iPhone, you probably shouldn't go with a Samsung phone. They make good phones with a lot of bells and whistles, but as a result they end up a little less stable and less smooth than some other phones.

Motorola dropped some smartphones not long ago that ran software pretty close to stock Android and were closer to the iPhone in size. They are a little dated now. I wonder if they are dropping new versions this year.

Funny cuz Samsung has a phone that looks like the iphone.
  • CJ
    Options
    @iKingGodGivBiz‌

Try using google music you can import all your iTunes files to it, same with amazon cloud player.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    @iKingGodGivBiz‌

Try using google music you can import all your iTunes files to it, same with amazon cloud player.
    Good lookout, bro. Imma play with that and some itune apps i downloaded and will come back later this weekend to tell yall which I think is the best overall program.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just got the s5 the other day. Cool phone. I hate u can't get bit torrents on I phones without jail break. Yo what are some apps and ? I should get ? I really like the remote play ? is convient as ?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peanut_205 wrote: »
    I just got the s5 the other day. Cool phone. I hate u can't get bit torrents on I phones without jail break. Yo what are some apps and ? I should get ? I really like the remote play ? is convient as ?

whats remote play? Im on s4
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I meant smart remote
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just ordered an S5 ....... anybody using one yet? How is it compared to the 4?
  • CJ
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Just ordered an S5 ....... anybody using one yet? How is it compared to the 4?

I heard not much different
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peanut_205 wrote: »
    I meant smart remote

is that the watch on app?
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Utorrent is the ? . Battery Doctor is a must app. DOMINOES app is crucial.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    @Peanut_205‌ AppLock is also a must. Also get you at least a 64gb mini sd card to add to the 16gb that already comes with the s5.
  • Crude_
    Options
    I had the the S3 and the S4 so I decided to pass on the S5.

The thing I noticed about Samsung is that they make devices that come great out of the box packed with features that will be turned off after a few days of using the device.

I'm not a fan of the lag the Sammy smartphones seem to have either.

I think touchwiz needs to be toned down a bit as well.

If you live or are around rural areas a lot the antenna is an issue well.

Both my Galaxy S3 and S4 use to stay dropping calls when I visited my mom out in the country.

With with that being said the Galaxy S series is one of the top 2 or 3 smartphones on the market and I prefer their version of Android over many other platforms such as iOS.

I'll probably own other Samsung smartphones in the future but they need to tone down touchwiz, their feature heavy operating system that uses up RAM and internal storage, and invest in putting better antennas in their devices.

• joshuaboy
    Options
    What I notice with my S4 is that it performs a lot smoother when rooted (not even using custom firmware.

• joshuaboy
    Options
    S5 is nice ...... bigger than the 4. Better camera and more sturdy. Battery doesn't seem as good though.

Have to root it soon