Should Syfy try and snag some semi popular book series to make a show of?

Options
BoldChild
BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's worked out pretty good for Starz, AMC, and HBO.

I can see Syfy doing an Animorph Tv series.

And yeah, I remember the one on Nick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IfboJUVBI8

Comments

• dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thought they had picked up the Wild Card series from George RR Martin. Wouldve been great to see that.
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I read that they're making a pilot based on a comic book series called DMZ produced by DC Comics.
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You would think a lot of shows (past or present) would make sense on syfy. Futurama and Invader Zim immediately come to mind as something they should bring over. Smackdown is the only thing I watch on that channel so super hero shows would definitely get me to watch
  • BoldChild
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Thought they had picked up the Wild Card series from George RR Martin. Wouldve been great to see that.
    indyman87 wrote: »
    I read that they're making a pilot based on a comic book series called DMZ produced by DC Comics.

Damn, I never heard of those, so I looked them up. The premise of both series doesn't seem all that interesting to me though.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There have to be a lot of good fantasy/scifi series out there that could be turned into shows.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Havent seen anything from syfy that i enjoyed.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wait, was that under the dome show on syfy? the one that had Hank from Breaking Bad? that show wasnt bad.
  • theBlackbeard
    theBlackbeard Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Wait, was that under the dome show on syfy? the one that had Hank from Breaking Bad? that show wasnt bad.

I think that was CBS.

I don't know I think SyFy need to step up they game. Like look at that one show Being Human. It looks like a show on CW. I don't know if they have the room those other channels have to adapt a book to tv and have translate with the quality of a True Blood.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but it would still be on syfy......
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Syfy had bsg, the 4400, Stargate, eureka, warehouse 13... its not a worthless network but its difficult to have to fund the highest show budgets cause of the genre while catering to the smallest amount of viewers cause of the genre.
  • BoldChild
    Options
    s.free wrote: »
    Syfy had bsg, the 4400, Stargate, eureka, warehouse 13... its not a worthless network but its difficult to have to fund the highest show budgets cause of the genre while catering to the smallest amount of viewers cause of the genre.

imo, they ruined Stargate Universe, it was like I was watching some soap Opera rather than a Sci-Fi series. as a large amount of the episodes revolved around the characters relationships with each other, who liked who, and how they felt about leaving Earth. (this last part wasn't bad, but they focused on it way too much)

Also, I just discovered it ended on a clif hanger, glad I dropped it when I did.

@ the bold, This is part of the reason I think they should try to make a series based on a popular or highly regarded sci-fi book series, it might draw some people on that normally do not watch sci-fi series.

Well Syfy is pretty much a sci-fi/fantasy channel now, so it doesn't have to be sci-fi, it could be fantasy as well.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NOOOOOOOooooooo!

Every time they've tried in the past they ? it up.

I remember when they made Earthsea into a movie and turned all the characters white and made the plot like a knockoff Harry Potter.

Syfy is and always was a channel that is run by people who don't actually like or understand science fiction. Every now and then they get lucky with something like a BSG but for every 1 of those there's about 10 kinds of ghost hunter reality shows or WWE or Sharknado or whatever other ? they broadcast.
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like what they did with dune. I think if they have a large enough budget they could do a decent show
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn people forgetting about Farscape? That show was the ? .
  • BoldChild
    Options
    Oh, I'm just finding out that new show bitten is based off some best selling series.

Maybe it is just syfy, cause that show is garbage.
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »

Damn, I never heard of those, so I looked them up. The premise of both series doesn't seem all that interesting to me though.

Books are real 50/50 since they're anthologies. Thinking about it, they'd be like Alphas or maybe heroes. Just a whole lot more violent with lots of failed mutations.