Spike Lee goes in about Gentrification in Brooklyn drops Real ish...Long Read

Comments

• gh0st
    gh0st Members Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S2J wrote: »
    gh0st wrote: »
    Spike was on point with that ? .
    Man ? like this has been burning me up for years. I dont even know how to speak on it cuz it gets me so mad. Why arent we doing a better job preserving our historic neighborhoods like owning them stores/bodegas or doing our own trash pick up. I feel like we set ourselves up for this okie doke ?

And there you go. So who is to blame...the white folk for movin in, or us for not keepin the ? up. I cant speak on the neighborhood Spike SPiekis talkin bout, but 9/10 gentrification occurs in run down areas.

Now there's plenty of upper middle class, predominantly black neighborhoods that should be a model for something white people couldnt touch: i.e. certain parts of VA beach, VA. PG county, MD is 1 of, if not the, richest counties in America. There's whole neighborhoods there of nothin but black people makin money in 100% black neghborhoods. White poeple aint goin nowhere near that b/ c they dont want to live WITH us. Instead they choose run down areas that they know will eventually be rebuilt and price out the natives.

So to that we gotta answer the question: whos fault is that? Preserve black neighborhods, yes. But preserve the hood? For what?

real talk I dont know cuz no matter what there will always be "bad" or run down neighborhoods but like Spike asked why does it seem like it can only get "better" when white folks come along?
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    gh0st wrote: »
    LPast wrote: »
    Where do people live after they are moved out of the neighborhood?

round here people who own houses and apts in the burbs been applying and getting section 8 approval and then they rent the spot out to low income folks it like a vicious cycle

Yep. In DC they move out to PG county (the hood parts) and I know somebody doin exactly what you said...In other words, these people do not disapear...they are not homeless...

I feel Spike 100%. Its fuked up. The powrs that be should do for us without the presence of white folks

BUT...if its gun store, liqour store, gun store, liqour store every block, how u gon become an activist NOW when the shovels come to clean that run down ? out.

I.e. in DC they tore down a building that Rayful Edmond used to run like the Carter and now its gentrified. How do you advocate against that??
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are people making this a race issue, it's a socioeconomic one.
  • S2J
    edited February 2014
    taeboo wrote: »
    taeboo wrote: »
    Same exact thing going on down here in New Orleans lol..exact same thing smh..

It's happening all over country. White people don't want to live in the burbs anymore.
    I think it's more than them just living not wanting to live in the burbs...they starting to understand the value of the land and the history of these neighborhoods that us blacks use to live in..or still do and they want to be apart of it..

I don't think most care about the history, but you are spot on about the value of the land. A person can get a place for steal in "up and coming" neighborhood compared to trying to get in established white one.

Bingo!!..that's the hidden gem..old white money sees that land and they know the value and they have kids that have to live too 18-28 range so where these kids wanna live..not with their parents so they need to so call go away from the burbs a d guess where they live..and guess how these area are that they wanna live bad..so the parents are like let's fix these areas up and raise the rent..plant trees and move the hood folks out and bam..you have the old hoods looking different now with different ppl living in them

Hidden gem!? Ngga thats real estate 101! My black ass just did that. Young black people in DC are doing that. Its about equity. It about property value. Do yall even realize what yall sayin? 'White people cheatin, they out here buyin low and sellin high!'

And i agree 100% with Spike. But our gripe is more w/ the white powers that be, the councilmen, the public works, the politicians, etc. who witheld resources from us. But if anyone, white, black, whatever, can buy for 250k and see their property be worth 500k in 5 years (fact), tha ? u think they gon do.
  • gh0st
    gh0st Members Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »

I think its both but.. I dont see this stuff happening in trailer parks areas or "white trash" sides of town (least in my state)
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? been happening in baltimore forever.....

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fyi the projects were never meant to be a final stop. I see nothing wrong with gentrification, it's like people love slums. Clean all that shut up, get some aspiration beyond the ghetto, andmove up the economic ladder.

i'm sure we're all shocked to hear you say something like that.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    i only read a paragraph & didn't need to see anymore. all truth.

they always try to justify it by saying "it's cleaning up the neighborhood" & some other ? . in theory, there's nothing wrong with fixing up a destitute area. the problem is the after effects. you displace a large portion of people for profit & then what?
  • bossdon201
    bossdon201 Members Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spike sounds upset
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i only read a paragraph & didn't need to see anymore. all truth.

they always try to justify it by saying "it's cleaning up the neighborhood" & some other ? . in theory, there's nothing wrong with fixing up a destitute area. the problem is the after effects. you displace a large portion of people for profit & then what?

? ton of higher taxes
    The audience was calling South Bronx ......SoBro ......what the ? is a SoBro I'm disgusted.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bossdon201 wrote: »

Wow

Don't even bother man..just skip over.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smh at people getting mad over ? they dont own. Reevaluate your life!

Guessing you've never been to Brooklyn or Harlem. If so you would know there's more than just projects ......
    Yes there are a lot of renters but this ? affects home owners too .......
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    same thing happening here in charlotte slowly but surely. is there anywhere they have the entire meeting recorded
  • S2J
    MECCA1000 wrote: »

Guessing you've never been to Brooklyn or Harlem. If so you would know there's more than just projects ......

Well, how does this effect homeowners?
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spike Lee is an idiot!

....But he was right on point about this.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have we started blaming the poor yet?
    bar ppl from jobs... bar them from education... bar them from owning homes/businesses... make it harder for them to keep the traditional family together by subsidizing single mothers ignore the funneling of drugs into poor communities than declare a war on drugs... wait a generation or two and then blame them for being dysfunctional... good job guys...

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the single mother ? is true... whether u believe it or not...
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spike Lee is an idiot!

No, he is still an idiot, he fails to realize places like Brooklyn & Harlem had a history before blacks lived there, what's happening now is a neighborhood\city recycling and reinventing itself.

---
    The history of Brooklyn spans more than 350 years. The settlement began in the 17th century as the small Dutch-founded town of "Breuckelen" on the East River shore of Long Island, grew to be a sizable city in the 19th century, and was consolidated in 1898 with New York City (then confined to Manhattan and part of the Bronx), the remaining rural areas of Kings County, and the largely rural areas of Queens and Staten Island, to form the modern City of New York.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooklyn

Founded in the 17th century as a Dutch military outpost named Nieuw Haarlem, Harlem became successively a farming village, a revolutionary battlefield, an industrial suburb, a commuter town, an American ghetto, and a world renowned center of African-American culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S2J wrote: »
    MECCA1000 wrote: »

Well, how does this effect homeowners?
    Taxes