Does Jay Z Have A "One Hot Album Every 10 Year Average"?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
Discuss

Comments

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by hot. Vol 1 wasnt a classic but it was dope.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Da Riddler wrote: »

I guess I'm going by the past 10 years, 2004-2014. That would include Kingdome Come, American Ganggster, Blueprint 3, Watch the Throne, Magna Carter
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    AG and WTT are personal classics, and BP3 isnt as bad as mfs make it seem. MCHG and KC are avg/below avg albums tho.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Da Riddler wrote: »

I guess I'm going by the past 10 years, 2004-2014. That would include Kingdome Come, American Ganggster, Blueprint 3, Watch the Throne, Magna Carter

IMO that's 4/5.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Nope wtt and American gangster and mcgh ? on kc. Bp3 just average
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    American Gangster was good because of those soulful beats. But instead he wanna be experimental.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jayz 2004-2014

Unfinished Business
    Kingdom Come
    American Gangster
    The Blueprint 3
    Watch the Throne
    Magna Carta Holy Grail

so yes he's had 1 hot album in the last 10 years, but when I discuss that Jay-Z's career, I break it down from RD to BP, since then he's been average at best
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    That's what I'm getting at, how many "Hot" in the true sense of the word "Hot" albums has Jay Z had in the past 10 years?
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    That's what I'm getting at, how many "Hot" in the true sense of the word "Hot" albums has Jay Z had in the past 10 years?

Mainstream wise/commercial success he done well so you could categorize those albums as hot.. hot in terms of quality is different.

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's your definition of hot. Hot by backpackers standard nope, hot by relevance standard then yeah. He's been more successful the last 10years than he was when he was praised underground wise. He is the only rapper from the 90s that's relevant and no I dont consider Em nor Wayne 90s
  • stackmaster 313
    stackmaster 313 Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Come on AG WTT & MCHG all our bangers. An pushed the bar an didn't something different for the game. Jay sets the bar for all other's to follow. So idk MCHG an wtt still getting regular spins to this day. I mean compared to what because all his ? is checked for heavy when it drops. An gets big spins but those three standout compared to anything dropped within the passed ten years. Really 7 since AG dropped in 07.
  • sr_the_freshman
    sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the album garners a great degree of commercial success, it's hot. Not necessarily a classic, but hot none the less. The only albums I think he's made in the last 10 years that's not been hot have been Kingdom Come (although I love the album) and arguably American Gangster. Everything else has popped, including Magna Carta which I personally dislike very much.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    "hot" doesn't have to be synonymous with classic, so no.
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Even though ur not a real jigga fan on here if u like anything after TBA, other than BP3 which has its gems too, I ? with all his albums post retirement... He makes good to great music and that's all im expecting from him.. I don't give a ? about sales but obviously it its hot to people in the streets.. So Nah to that dumb ? in the o/p.. I've heard more younger people get into his music, even kids which down this way, as a kid, I don't remember one Jigga fan in the same age range.. If that's not hot, Idk what is.. And when he needs to spit some fire, he still does.. He took a different direction in his albums and I for one ain't expecting each on to be on the same ? .. That's what got him as hot as he is right now.. Changing ? up
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    American Gangster
    BP3
    WTT
    Some of MCHG

nope
  • Black_Privilege
    Black_Privilege Members Posts: 72
    Options
    His only hot album is AG, so i guess the answer would be no.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since 2004, yup.
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So when a album goes plat b4 it's released and still goes gold the week it's released does that make it hot??? If we're going by hot in the form of popularity then that gets major play and just generally ppl love then hell naw....but if you talking bout hot in a sense that the underground hip hop heads praise it for its great lyrical content and how the album is a great concept album that flows perfectly etc then I guess
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He had one hot album in the last 10 years so the answer is yes
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas had better albums than jay in the 90's so that line on takeover was ? .