Does Jay Z Have A "One Hot Album Every 10 Year Average"?

Options

Comments

• Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    You know what? That Wikipedia link is wrong. I remember when those albums came out. They were a week apart and G-Unit outsold Jay Z. I remember when it happened cause me and the people I worked with were saying that 'people like 50 Cent more than they like Jay Z because G Unit sold more'

i think g-unit was supposed to drop the following week but it was ultimately moved up
    black album peaked at #1. g-unit peaked at #2. BA sold 3 million. beg for mercy sold 2 million. thats not outselling on the units part
    but if you can provide a link proving me wrong then props
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know what? That Wikipedia link is wrong. I remember when those albums came out. They were a week apart and G-Unit outsold Jay Z. I remember when it happened cause me and the people I worked with were saying that 'people like 50 Cent more than they like Jay Z because G Unit sold more'

i think g-unit was supposed to drop the following week but it was ultimately moved up
    black album peaked at #1. g-unit peaked at #2. BA sold 3 million. beg for mercy sold 2 million. thats not outselling on the units part

Not to nitpick, but are those sales domestic or international? Cause I could swear that G Unit outsold The Black Album in their first week, but it was a week apart. Ja Rule's Blood in My Eye EP came out around the same time. Also Nas's ? 's Son was out around that time.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but those first week numbers can change over time.
  • TrillRussell
    TrillRussell Members Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    GetoBoy wrote: »

Vol 1 & Vol 2 are just average??? Smh....wtf grading scale are you using??? If 95% of rappers released those albums they'd be praised as great albums but since jay dropped em they're average that's like lebron dropping a triple double and ppl saying it's just a ok game just cuz its lebron...

If we're really being honest the grading scale is different for jay then it is for other rappers so average for him would be above average for others....but if you believe his catalog is "average" who's catalog do you consider above average/great cuz I'm pretty sure jay's is right on par with who ever you can name

No disrespect bruh...but you do have A Rocafella chain in your avi..So i'm pretty sure you think everything he did was great

That's what's wrong with IC ? think you gotta be a stan just cuz your a fan....my avi don't mean I think everything the man does is great but to say his albums aren't hot and are just average means you don't move past the IC or your grading them on a different scale from other rappers which is backwards to grade a rappers albums on an above average scale but then call them average or not hot

How is Jay Graded on A higher scale when ? do the same ? to other legends on the IC daily?but it's ok then right?..? can hurl piles of ? on other rappers legacies and catalogues that did just as much for the game as Jay if not more..and get laughs and cosigns from it..but Oh when somebody logically critiques Jay's body of work people wanna act like you disrespected ? ?nah bruh

Bra you keep talking bout what everybody does to everybody else which is changing up the discussion...I've never heard anybody say nas catalog is average or pac or cube unless they were trolling....and to say jay ain't graded on a higher scale ? you bugging all the goats are if Ross were to drop vol 1 you'd be calling it fire if ja rule were to drop something like vol 2 you'd call it above average etc....its the same thing with all the goats...you ain't gotta like a ? albums to give them their do credit cuz that's when it turns from opinion to hate..

You aint say all greats were graded on a higher scale..you said Jay himself was graded on a higher scale..Like he just head and shoulders above every rapper that ever did it..and that's ?

Well this thread is about jay....didn't know I needed to literally spell it out for you kinda thought you would have got the point of my post....whether you wanna admit it or not jay music is graded on a higher scale then damn near any other rapper so to call his music below average on a scale where if another artist were to drop it would be credited with a great album is just backwards

No he's not..he's dropped wack and average ? like every other rapper..stop being a stan bruh
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who said he hasn't dropped average music again??? Bra get outta yo hating feelings my nig I never said everything he's dropped been classic I said his catalog is above average if we're grading it on a scale equal to everybody else but since you and I know that's not how he's graded then it's hard to call his catalog average when his music is graded on a higher scale then most rappers...
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not to nitpick, but are those sales domestic or international? Cause I could swear that G Unit outsold The Black Album in their first week, but it was a week apart. Ja Rule's Blood in My Eye EP came out around the same time. Also Nas's ? 's Son was out around that time.

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but those first week numbers can change over time.

gods son dropped in 2002
    beg for mercy sold 3 million worldwide
    black album sold 3 million in the u.s. and was certified*gold,platinum,silver etc.* in a few other countries

• TrillRussell
    Options
    Who said he hasn't dropped average music again??? Bra get outta yo hating feelings my nig I never said everything he's dropped been classic I said his catalog is above average if we're grading it on a scale equal to everybody else but since you and I know that's not how he's graded then it's hard to call his catalog average when his music is graded on a higher scale then most rappers...

When you say his music is graded on A higher scale you basically saying his ? that's graded as wack/Average is actually good/great...and I don't agree..A wack/average album is A wack/average album.period I don't play the "Well if this artist dropped this album it would be perceived this or that way" type of games..fact of the matter is..He dropped them..they weren't great..get over it
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    Ok bruh vol 1 and vol 2 are below average albums.....and jay has just a run of the mill average catalog.....Gotcha!!!
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just out of curiousity...what things factor into an album being below average, average, or above average...just asking anyone
  • TrillRussell
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Ok bruh vol 1 and vol 2 are below average albums.....and jay has just a run of the mill average catalog.....Gotcha!!!

I aint saying that his catalog is wack overall my ? ..I even gave the ? credit for 3 maybe 4 classic albums.most ? don't even think he has that many.but What i'm saying is....why should his body of work be off limits to discuss and you can't say any of his ? is wack or average without ? wack'n and nosigning..But it's ok to throw piles of ? on other legends catalogs that laid down just as much foundation in the game if not more?I've seen other legends get their discographies and legacies ripped to shreds on this mufucka..but anytime somebody says anything other than "Jayz is the greatest of all time and he can do no wrong" it's a no sign or A wack post?lol..c'mon bruh..but i'm the 1 in my feelings?I appreciate the culture as A whole..And I give unbiased opinions..I aint A man fan of any of these ?
  • GetoBoy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    IMO I think it differs from artist to artist or person to person.... Each person idea of what average is differs on which artist you talking about so average for nas ain't the same as average for big sean or average for jay ain't the same as average for rick ross becuz they make different types of music so the scale is gonna change...it also matters if you're asking is something average for them or average for everybody cuz somebody feel if it ain't some super lyrical nas rap then it's not great or average so it's all subjective
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options
    @getoboy...ok i was thinking the same that some people are just graded differently. they kinda have their own bar.

@trillrussell.. u not really unbiased. u continue to make the point that u have seen other legends ripped apart so u kinda doing ur best to rip jay. u havent really given a reason for saying he is below average other than i can do it because people rip other legends.
  • TrillRussell
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @getoboy...ok i was thinking the same that some people are just graded differently. they kinda have their own bar.

@trillrussell.. u not really unbiased. u continue to make the point that u have seen other legends ripped apart so u kinda doing ur best to rip jay. u havent really given a reason for saying he is below average other than i can do it because people rip other legends.

I aint ripping him tho..I think he's 1 of the greats..I gave him his just due for 3 to 4 hip hop classics..But what i'm saying is..He's not untouchable and his work outside of the masterpieces has some inconsistencies..and if 1 logic applies to other legends it should apply to him too...Am I wrong for that?

• semi-auto-mato
    Options

I aint ripping him tho..I think he's 1 of the greats..I gave him his just due for 3 to 4 hip hop classics..But what i'm saying is..He's not untouchable and his work outside of the masterpieces has some inconsistencies...Am I wrong for that?

absolutely not wrong for that. i guess its how u put it. if i say jay has 3 classics i need to be able to explain it some way other than they hot albums i give them 5 mics. if u say he has wack albums u should explain ur reasoning for that but u are definitely not wrong for feeling the way u feel.

• GetoBoy
    Options

I aint saying that his catalog is wack overall my ? ..I even gave the ? credit for 3 maybe 4 classic albums.most ? don't even think he has that many.but What i'm saying is....why should his body of work be off limits to discuss and you can't say any of his ? is wack or average without ? wack'n and nosigning..But it's ok to throw piles of ? on other legends catalogs that laid down just as much foundation in the game if not more?I've seen other legends get their discographies and legacies ripped to shreds on this mufucka..but anytime somebody says anything other than "Jayz is the greatest of all time and he can do no wrong" it's a no sign or A wack post?lol..c'mon bruh..but i'm the 1 in my feelings?I appreciate the culture as A whole..And I give unbiased opinions..I aint A man fan of any of these ?

Either your new here or you just trolling cuz NOBODIES catalog gets ripped and dissected more around here the jay's...where are you getting yo info its like you have a block on all negative jay z post and threads to keep saying the same thing....jay gets ripped to shreds more then damn near anybody so idk where you keep getting this everybody act like jay is off limits stuff....and if you don't believe me you need to go back through a few of the jay threads and freshin up...but if you believe jay gets a pass while everybody else gets ripped start a who has a better catalog jay nas big pac cube face etc and see where it goes you'll end up finding out that the last thing he gets is a pass
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just out of curiousity...what things factor into an album being below average, average, or above average...just asking anyone

Popular opinion. Dark side of the moon by Pink Floyd is considered a universal classic in the music community. But most of us can't/won't sit through half of it. Subjectivity and popular opinion drive hip hop debate. You can't go to a Nas discussion board and say he's better than Jay, and you can't go to a Jay-z discussion board and say he's better than Nas. If there's nothing statistical to draw from except sales, and sales don't matter amongst serious hip-hop listeners, who ever has the most compelling argument wins. Subjectivity my ? .
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay Z has only been out since 1996. That's 18 years all together,so this is impossible

I didn't really like Kingdom Come in 2006/2007, but by 2008 he dropped American gangster and that ? was classic, plenty of bangers

Then he did BP3 which wasn't my favorite but it would be a flat out lie to say There were no good songs on it

Then Holy grail,which I like

Your theory got hella holes in it

• ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay don't care anymore, man.

Like are you seriously comparing his lackluster albums like he's for real?
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    Options
    Yes he does his last decent album was The Blueprint and that came out in 2001, 13 years ago. Prior to The Blueprint his last decent album was Reasonable Doubt
  • GetoBoy
    Options
    AHHHHHH HELL NAW!!!!!

FREE GEE!!!
  • GunTown
    Options
    3 of Jay Z's last 4 solo albums have been really terrible Kingdome Come, Blueprint 3, Magna Carter Holy Grail.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How do you mods ban someone only to have them back a week later? This chick does nothing for the reason except post the same ? a million times. At least Gee was entertaining.

If you gon ban someone let them muthafuckas stay gone. Especially this ? broad.
  • GunTown
    Options
    Good albums - Reasonable Doubt

Solid albums - The Blueprint

Average albums - The Black Album

Below average albums - Volume 1, American Gangsters, Watch The Throne

Terrible albums - Volume 2, Volume 3, The Dynasty, The Blueprint 2, Kingdome Come, The Blueprint 3, Magna Carter Holy Grail, Best Of Both Worlds, Best Of Both Worlds 2
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? , I got yo ? on ignore. But I know you said some more stupid ? . And wasn't flagging people's posts that disagree with you the same ? that got you banned?

You're a ? ? . And if I catch you over here after your sleeper cell training with an Eminem backpack, I'm reporting you to the department of homeland security.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He has 3 classics
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    housemouse wrote: »
    Sion wrote: »
    I think Hov is more of a businessman than a rapper tho, he's just good at covering that. Yall ever notice that Hov never drops an album without to back it ? Blueprint 2 he had the major sneaker deal with Reebok & Roc Tha Mic tour, Black Album he sold Rocawear for 204 mil and "retired", Kingdom Come was the album to fulfill his obligation to Def Jam & return plus he got the Budweiser deal and a liquor deal for Armand De Bregnac/Ace of Spades, American Gangster he got a big ass pay check from the movie studio to promote the album and his album was the soundtrack to it. Blueprint 3 he got the LiveNation deal for $150 million dropped the Decoded book, got married, and announced he was doing WTT with Kanye. MCHG he had the Samsung deal and all that.

I don't think Jay cares about dropping a "GREAT" album, it just has to be a superior product that he's pleased with that he knows yall will eat up and will satisfy his corporate sponsors sales wise. There's nothing wrong with that but when you have obligations to other organizations it's hard to drop music that is going to be critically acclaimed consistently and true to an artist's vision. That's why he did AG and it was so well received by critics cuz it was on music he grew up on and wasn't anyone to tell him to watch what he say cuz the theme of the music was consistent w/ how he felt.

That's also why Kanye West can drop albums and have such a consistent catalog of "classics". Ye don't have 101 sponsors to please backing him. He just has the label and b/c of who he is they're not gonna tell him how to make a Kanye album. If Hov wasn't so heavy into business and doing that he'd have more classic albums.

Agreed. And that whole 11 or 12 number one albums or whatever number he's at now is clearly only because he drops his albums when nobody else is dropping anything. He dropped the blueprint 3 back when the other other competition at the time was a lil boosie album so of course it was gonna be a number one album.

Raekwon Only built4 Cuban linx 2 came out the same day as BP3

And without lookin it up I can guarantee you that it didn't go platinum. I'm not talkin about rappers who are good but don't sell records.