Should a marriage license have an expiration date?

Options
MzKB
MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
Every type of license in the states has an expiration date….

drivers license
gun license
business license

So why not marriage license? How long would the time be between the issue and expiration date?

Maybe you want a break from your spouse but you don't want a divorce…..should you be able to apply for a suspended license so you can do you and not be at fault?

Tell me what you think and why?

Should a marriage license have an expiration date? 60 votes

yup
53%
OhMarsGod_YunnB_AGot Em Shooknex ginKnock_TwiceIp manHustleThaDonvageneral08Iheart~CaliGlockLesnar Mr.LViron man1BEAMIdiopathic Jokercoop9889NothingButTheTruthStoneColdMikeyChi SnowDarcSkies 32 votes
nah
30%
Dupacdwade206damnkpPurrmryounggunArya TsaddiqOff&OnBodhiLPastBussy_Getta Ajackson17KairoatribecalledgabiStillFaggyAFsweetheart93AZTGDarth SidiousLEMZIMUS_RAMSEY 18 votes
i ain't never getting married
16%
blakfyahkingShuffingtonVulcanRaventhegreatunknownT. SanfordLou Cypherpurpngold_Goldie_TrillfateTrueraPP 10 votes

Comments

• MzKB
    Options
    yup
    some ? logic!
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah
    Nah.. Putting an expiration date on marriage licenses kind of devalues the concept of long term commitment imo. You can't say til death do us part and then stamp an expiration on there before your time.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EXACT THREAD DONE BEFORE. .BUT.... SOMETIMES PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES AND THIS IS A WAY 2 GET OUT SCOTT FREE
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yup
    * Actually, spouses would still have to go to court to determine visitation but yall get my drift.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not a bad idea at all.

might help keep people on their toes too.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not a terrible idea actually...
    I agree.

You could make a thing of renewing it, sometimes people start taking each other for granted too and an exportation date kind of acts as a wake up call that your wife/husband can leave guilt free if they aren't happy.

Besides people renew their vows voluntarily already, so applying that to everyone isn't a bad idea at all.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I noticed none of the females in this thread voted

waiting for a wise masculine POV before deciding your stance?

• MzKB
    Options
    yup
    Oceanic wrote: »
    Nah.. Putting an expiration date on marriage licenses kind of devalues the concept of long term commitment imo. You can't say til death do us part and then stamp an expiration on there before your time.

I think a lot of people who enter in a marriage have no intention of getting a divorce but sometimes things don't workout. So I wouldn't say that it devalues the concept of long term marriage.

There are people who have never been married and they last longer than some that have been married 6 months.

• MzKB
    edited February 2014
    Options
    yup

myself and Iheartcali voted
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It ain't gonna change nothin.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MzKB wrote: »

myself and Iheartcali voted

that was after my wise post tho :(

SMH @ Kat abusing reactions
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah
    So how will this affect the legal benefits of marriage and children?
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah
    So how will this affect the legal benefits of marriage and children?
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yup
    I think so, but it should only be an option, and function in such a way that expiration is permanent, unless you re-up.

maybe you could get a marriage license that doesn't expire at all, or expires after one year, two years, five years. Maybe if you find that your compatibility with a person is indeed long term, you could opt for that permanent license after a 5 year duration. Or if not, you could simply have enjoyed a five year relationship, and agree to go your separate ways.

Or something like that..

You know tbh, I don't see the point in marriage anyway. If two people have no intention of separating, then marriage serves as nothing more than a weaker validation of a much stronger force ~ True Love. Why is marriage necessary? Seems like an unnecessary redundancy since the emotion precedes the ceremony. And if not, then it truly was a waste of time that could potential damage both people's lives if they want out..

Imo, it seems that the dynamics of marriage are what cause divorce more times than not; The legal / financial aspects of it all are stressful, I'm sure. People always talk about their ability to "endure," but what are you enduring but something you ultimately don't want to go through? If you genuinely wanted to be there, it wouldn't be anything to endure, but something to enjoy; In which case your "endurance" means nothing, because it's essentially disingenuous..
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    yup
    That sounds good actually, so once the renewal date come up you could just be like ? it instead of having to pay for an expensive ass divorce...

1227324d1379668941-i-just-bought-muhle-i-approve-baby-pipe-meme.jpg
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah
    Piyonce wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    So you sayin you wanna "do you" while you married to me............

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    How about just skip all that bs and not get married?
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    nah
    i don't necessarily disagree but if one person doesn't wana renew the license & the other does, wouldn't you just be in the same situation as a regular divorce getting lawyers & whatnot involved?

let's not act like this will go smoother than a lifelong commitment to marriage...there will still be people who'd wana end it before the expiration date. & if you didn't stay together you would still need to split asset anyway so i don't see how this is that different.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah
    We are human beings not robots.
    We live with eatch others thoughout FEELINGS and DESIRES.

Lets stop with the robotization people.