Pharrell's "GIRL" Album Cover Controversy: Nonissue or Nah?

Options

Comments

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    black women>>>>>>
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    Copper wrote: »
    these the same hoes that complain bc theres black women in rap videos...then complain bc theres not black women in videos

"women aint happy unless they aint happy."

Quoted for trillness
  • QZA
    QZA Members Posts: 225 ✭✭
    Options
    Dark skinned women, I love y'all
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People cry about any damn thing....its an album cover not an American history book.....if he wanted to be between two snow bunnies riding an ostrich wit Hilfiger overalls and Keds on, thats his choice....im mad he even explaining himself....
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    all i know is i still got a thing for that black ? in the "frontin" video.. smmfh

When Lauren London first blew up I had to rewatch the Frontin video because I had noticed her. I was stuck on the dark skin girl lol
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if I was Asian id be ?
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.27695/title.pharrell-disappointed-by-g-i-r-l-cover-art-backlash

pharrell-girl-new-album-0.jpg

Upon releasing a full album stream and the cover art to his upcoming album, G I R L, Virginia singer/producer Pharrell Williams was met with a great deal of backlash on social media due to the cover art for G I R L, which features Pharrell standing beside three women clad in white bathrobes.

Those expressing their distaste with the cover art to G I R L have cited the fact that the cover does not include any women of color. In response to the cover art backlash, Pharrell expressed his disappointment before revealing that one of the women featured on the cover is in fact African-American.

“You know what really disappointed me is that, man, they jumped the gun,” Pharrell said while speaking with Power 105.1’s The Breakfast Club. “Because the one I'm standing the closest to is black. She's a black girl from like Wisconsin that I used to date like over ten years ago, or twelve years ago. And it’s just that that just must suck for people to just look at something and to assume that they know what's going on. And if they just bothered to listen to my album, they would know that my album was an ode to women, period. And the one thing that I’m trying to ? …The one thing I was just trying to help and aid in changing is this crazy statuesque standard of you gotta be white, waif and thin for you to be beautiful.”

Among those who voiced their opinion on Pharrell’s G I R L cover art via Twitter were journalist dream hampton and Jamilah Lemieux, senior editor for Ebony magazine.

Black Ladies, is this really an issue? Does it bother you when Black singers/rappers use white women and lightskinned women in their art?
    This ? gotta be blind as ?

• BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can understand why some would take offense to this; Because it is supportive of a very obvious and disheartening trend.

Tbh, this is coming off as the same type of ? racist fashion designers say when they fight to maintain the right to "express their creativity how they wish" by not including any ethnic women on the runway.

Three out of three of those women are light, intentionally. It's bullshyt, tbh.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jay83 wrote: »
    Copper wrote: »
    these the same hoes that complain bc theres black women in rap videos...then complain bc theres not black women in videos

"women aint happy unless they aint happy."

Food.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    I can understand why some would take offense to this; Because it is supportive of a very obvious and disheartening trend.

Tbh, this is coming off as the same type of ? racist fashion designers say when they fight to maintain the right to "express their creativity how they wish" by not including any ethnic women on the runway.

meh
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thought the girl closest to him was black right away? Lookit the curls in her hair above her forehead. She sure as hell doesn't look white.
    right, m'fuccas can't see the nap in that broad's hair edges? Or them big lips? Bitter dark skin women I tell ya
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Chokwe Lumumba ? was so left field.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ain't Pico?
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never heard of Chokwe Lumumba
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This that same broad that was battling Talib Kweli. She's a bird who thinks she's intelligent. She reminds me of that one broad...what's her name? Desert something. She talks like that chick.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »

Intentionally? Nice to know you can read Pharrell's mind.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    This that same broad that was battling Talib Kweli. She's a bird who thinks she's intelligent. She reminds me of that one broad...what's her name? Desert something. She talks like that chick.

Desert Train? Lol
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great album! Favorite track GUST OF WIND! Bumpin' that ? LOUD!
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wait what? What's the problem here? Is that third girl not African American? She looks like it to me. I really don't give two ? about this picture.
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Real hair>>>>>
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dream Hampton is soooooo annoying.
  • ayyubam2002
    ayyubam2002 Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Options
    So y'all going to act like colorism isn't real and problematic? She did not say, she is mad or upset. She said she was disappointed with the album cover. Dream being light skin herself does not mean she can not speak on the issues of colorism in the public hemisphere and in the black community. She is very intelligent and a prolific activist who actively fight injustices for a number of social causes. I think it's rather pathetic the way these blogs, black women, and men have attacked her for speaking on this issue. Black women are beautiful in all complexions, from light to dark and should be shown and represented as such, not just in the light skin hue. It's particularly disappointing when black men continue the notion that light skin is the beauty norm. She did not put Chokwe Lumumba in this discussion, he was her mentor. He was also a family friend of mine. He had just passed that night. People need to learn how to read and comprehend a twitter time line and stop making blogs out of everything she says. I guarantee that everyone on this site who said something negative about Dream will never in their life time accomplish half of what this woman has accomplished. You should be thanking her because she has fought you.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whats the issue exactly? yall crying about what he wants on his album cover?
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dream Hampton is soooooo annoying.

was gonna say this...

? hasn't been relevant since the early 90's when she wrote for the Source and Vibe... if she's soooo worried about women's issues in Black culture, why is she busy writing books for Jay-Z and Puff? I don't think they are the beacons of women's rights in hip-hop.

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just put all shades of women on the cover instead of all light brightsshit aint hard to see why some feelings for hurt.