WOAT Comic Book Concepts

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Quite Comical
Comic books have been around close to eighty years and during those eighty years we've been blessed with not only some of greatest works of fiction, but the greatest figures in history of popular culture. Unfortunately there have been some straight up ? that has occurred in those seven plus decades. Here are some that stand out in my mind.

9) ? with the Numbering

Action_Comics_1.jpgactioncomics_1_cover_02.jpg

There's some thing special having Action Comics # 900 and knowing that this particular volume of the series goes back to depression and sprung forth from the imagination of two teenagers from Cleveland. Then, in vain attempt to catch the interest of the speculators, you start the series over with # 1. ? is hella weak and is insulting to true fanboys. Like I read somewhere, somebody who isn't going to buy Action Comics # 904 isn't suddenly going to turn around and buy Action Comics #1 from the New 52. A perfect example of this with X-Men. For those of you who are unfamiliar with history of the series. The X-Men weren't always Marvel most popular superhero team. As a matter of fact the "strangest heroes of them all have a very had time gaining traction. Not even the legendary team of Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams could boost sales.

It was only when Lein Wein, Dave Cockrum, John Bryne, and Chris Claremont, (with the infusion of a new team,) that saved X-Men from cancellation. Now when Strom, Logan, and Nightcrawler'em took over the book, the numbering didn't start over at # 1 it continued to from issue 93.

8) Deaths

batman-428.jpg

civil-war.jpg

The death of character in of itself isn't a a wack concept. Some of the GOAT story arcs in comics are the ones which result in the death of a character. It's that the fandom knows that the deaths in comics aren't permanent, the writers are putting you this emotional roller coaster, only for the character to be brought back in a year. Also we have yet another attempt to tap into the speculators market. These muthafuckas needlessly drive up the cost of books because they think they've just bought a collectors item.

7) Resurrections

todd.jpg

in_bucky_1155945570.jpg

Where as the death of a character is usually some epic as storytelling, subsequent resurrection is often uninspired and contrived storytelling. The prime examples of this are the resurrections of Jason Todd and Bucky Barnes. It used to be there was a saving about Marvel, "Only two people stayed dead. Uncle Ben and Bucky." Low and behold Bucky is brought back. Some how he was saved from the plane wreck, trained by the Russians and was ? Widow.

Then there's what has to be the one of or either the worst resurrection in the history of the medium, the Resurrection of Jason Todd. I probably took issue with the resurrection of Jason Todd because the fans voted him dead and as a result we got great stories with The Batman not dealing with Jason's death and the best of all we got Timmy.

How ever Judd Winick decides to bring Jason back and does it in the weakest way possible. Superboy Prime is punching some cosmic ? . The cosmic ? gets in Jason's casket and he's brought to life. WTF? The irony is Winick is the same dude that wrote Under the Red Hood, and Jason's resurrection in that was hella better and made a lot more sense.

6) The DC Comics Multiverse

Flash_v1_123.jpg

Rex doesn't like the Multiverse. The ? was, has, and always will be a ? wack ass concept. Julius Schwartz would have been better off saying that Golden Age Heroes went into retirement, were captured by aliens, went rogue, on that Steve Rogers frozen status, had amnesia, anything other than that Multiverse ? .

5) There Are Too Many Green Lanterns for Sector 2814

Hal Jordan, Jon Stewart, Guy Gardner, Kyle Rayner and Simon Baz are all Green Lanterns, but there's all signed to the same ? sector. From what I recall all the other sectors have one GL, but the sector the earth is in has five, (six if you count Alan Scott,)

And the creation of Simon Baz was some political ? . I don't have a problem with Muslim characters, (as long as there some balance,) but why did dude have to be a GL? Especially there's already GL in this sector.

4) Wolverine Getting an Origin

Wolverine_origin1.jpg

It was going to happen sooner or later, but I preferred Wolverine being this mysterious character that nobody knew about. Also, how did you get Logan out James Howlett, it seems as matter of principle that Logan should have been some where in his government name.

3) Wolverine Always Having Claws

notubes03.jpg

This was something the retconned. Originally, Wolverine's claws was a result of the adamantium bonding process, but when Magento stripped Logan of his adamantium, it was later revealed that he always had the claws/

2) The Legion of Super Pets

Legion_of_Super-Pets_01.jpg

Legion_of_Super-Pets_03.png

Nuff said, Ironically, I will admit that I want a white pit so I can name him "Krypto and a if I should came up on a brown cat, I'll name him Streaky.

1) ? Ass Characters

e58efd8d22f9282f318cdd8fc981d58b.jpg?itok=N8yRv_md

2801148-batwoman.jpg?w=450&h=337

Like in most areas dominated by creative popular, the comic book industry is left leaning. Being aligned with the ? agenda, the industry felt it was their duty to support the ? agenda and indoctrinate the youth by normalizing this behavior and showing it as normal in their books. It seemed for a minute that everybody title was like a cast of MTV's "Real World where there was a least one ? or ? in every book. ? is disgusting. You can promote fagdom, but there's not a conservative or devout Christian character to be found in any of the Big Two companies.

Comments

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what you said. for the #1 issue thing how do you feel about that spiderman series by McFarlane or the x menbook by jim lee? actually they are not reboots but to me it's like starting over. Jason todd should have stayed dead. hew was an ? as the red hood and his death was a constant reminder to batman. I have some story arc books about a young tim drake following batman and nightwing around snapping photos of them and doing detective work. he notices that batman became angry and careless since Jason's death. these events lead to tim becoming the next robin. wolverines origin... never cared for it. all I needed was the short tough guy named logan with a mysterious past I never read the origin books. superpets yeah ridiculous . it's just as asinine and cliché as every super hero having there own personal vehicle(the super car, the fantasticar the spidermobile the arrow mobile) all those vehicles existed,or every superhero having a female counterpart or jr partner all due to the silverage. the only thing I disagree on is the multiverse thing. its not a hard concept to follow and makes for good storytelling . multiverse theory gave us good ? like infinite crisis and the crime syndicate of America. I like the multiverse seconded by time paradoxes like flashpoint , days of the future past, and age of apocalypse.

p.s thunderbird warpaths older brother is still taking a dirtnap after 37 years(unless you know something I don't) jean grey johhny storm and nightcrawler are still dead as well and dead villians usually stay dead
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word on that time traveling and alternate universe stuff. I'm about sick and tired of reading that stuff.

They need to give it a rest already.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My biggest issue is the multiverse/time travel as well. so dumb. I dont mind a character getting over powered as long as every book isnt doing it and theres a legit reason the character is over powered. Not just fighting and somehow taps into these new abilities.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I pretty much disagree with everything in the original post except giving Wolverine an origin. That was pretty stupid. 125% disagreement with the multiverse thing. I love that concept and it's lead to some of the best stories in both Marvel & DC. It also will be the framing for what will no doubt be one of the greatest comic book minis of the next 2 years (Multiversity) and has led to the curretnly awesome Forever Evil arc.

Deaths in comics are meaningless so I never put much stock in them or resurrections. Renumberings and new volumes are necessary to pull in lapsed readers and new readers. As much as I would've liked to buy Action Comics #1000 one day I'm much happier now seeing Action Comics have a loyal readership beyond niche numbers again because newer readers aren't as intimidated and don't feel like they're too far behind. That ? is necessary for the dying comic book industry to keep surviving. Hell I bet a lot of you got into comic books with new #1 issues of older characters anyway and not issue #486 of a previous volume.
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Originally, Wolverine just had glove with claws.

2nd, ? what yall talkin about. Exiles >>>
  • Broddie
    Options
    Exiles wasn't about jumping through time it was about jumping through multiversal space.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    Exiles wasn't about jumping through time it was about jumping through multiversal space.

Still........the multiverse jumps are being to much. It cause for lazy writing.

Explain.

Any concept could lead to lazy writing. This isn't exclusive to one thing. It's the same as the old saying that there aren't bad characters just bad writing.
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Exiles was basically a series of "What Ifs"? it explored deviations from main histories, new approaches to existing characters and all around freedom. What if Mimic WAS a mutant? What kind of kid would Nightcrawler and Scarlet Witch produce? What if Professor X was the bad guy? Iron Doom vs The Inhumans >>>

if it weren't for alternate universes, Age Of Apocalypse would have never happened. in any case, Spiderman 2099 >>> Peter Parker OR Doc Ock