'Young People Are Losing Interest in High-End Games' - Kojima

Options
achewon87
achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
With the release of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes on the horizon, series creator Hideo Kojima recently spoke about his hopes for the series, and the impact he hopes it will have on the Japanese AAA game scene.

“We’ve seen a phenomenon around the world,” Kojima told gamestm. “Young people are losing interest in high-end games and focusing on mobile and social titles, especially in Japan. I wanted to show people that Japanese high-end games are still worth playing and that big Japanese games still have a future."

Kojima said the decision to split MGS: Ground Zeroes and MGS V: The Phantom Pain into two individual titles wasn't a stretgic sales move, but rather one of necessity, as The Phantom Pain wouldn't be ready to launch in the next-gen launch window.

Publisher Konami announced a price cut last week for Ground Zeroes, decreasing the digital and retail price for the PS4 and Xbox One versions from $40 to $30. This illustrates Kojima's hopes that the series will help rekindle the perceived drop in "high end" games, and open Ground Zeroes and the subsequent sequel to wider audiences.

http://youtu.be/oIlQMXVUP0w

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/04/young-people-are-losing-interest-in-high-end-games-kojima-says

Comments

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Young people were never interested in MGS and the series has always sold less in Japan. He is officially out of touch with reality.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i never considered MGS a young ppl game, but hes right to a degree,
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why haven't we seen a new zone of the Enders
  • achewon87
    Options

Next gen ZOE would be insane good series I guess it didn't sell no other reason to abandon it...

MGS always been aimed more at adults just look at the themes involved...

I am happy that he decided to drop the price on next gen Ground Zero I may pick it up at $30...
  • VulcanRaven
    Options

Because Konami just wants to ? the popularity of MGS and keep milking.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

because nobody bought the HD collection. ? was unplayable till they patched the ps3 version.

360 didn't even get the patch.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    So we gonna act like GTA didnt just break records and you know its a lot of kids playing that game and other games like cod
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    So we gonna act like GTA didnt just break records and you know its a lot of kids playing that game and other games like cod
    Can't compare those games to MGS though. They are for the twitch/casual crowd. MGS is too ? . GTA has mature themes, but it is accessible like COD and BF are. The average person can not even understand MGS.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im gonna be honest... i only read the title of the thread...

and my response to that is...

WELL NO ? YOU ? ? !

all we've wanted was games that were games!

who the ? said games needed to compete with movies?

oh thats right... the media...

give us what we want. games.

not shot for shot remakes of our favorite actions scenes in FMV that we STILL CANT INTERACT WITH!!!

/rant

tumblr_m7diig61WG1qe6nyz.gif
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

WELL NO ? YOU ? ? !

not shot for shot remakes of our favorite actions scenes in FMV that we STILL CANT INTERACT WITH!!!

/rant

I agree that photo realism ? is killing the industry of AAA titles.
    they should be trying to push the boundaries artistically and gaming wise
    Don't get me wrong I love how games evolved graphically but not for the sake of enjoyment
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »

WELL NO ? YOU ? ? !

/rant

I agree that photo realism ? is killing the industry of AAA titles.
    they should be trying to push the boundaries artistically and gaming wise
    Don't get me wrong I love how games evolved graphically but not for the sake of enjoyment
    Damn, I thought Jamel was talking about the stupid, long ass, unnecessary cut-scenes. I don't think the graphics are what's hurting the industry.
  • achewon87
    Options
    Word...

MGS 4 is probably 1 of the biggest offenders of what he is saying, all cut scenes combined clock in at 9 hrs on Youtube, that is just way too much time not playing a game while the machine is on...

QTE has become this crutch that they overuse now during these cut scenes as if it makes up for it...

I love games with a great story my 2 favorite games over the last year, The Last of Us and Bioshock: Infinite
    did it well but it was the gameplay that made me play them over and over, unfortunately gaming reviews revolved around how well the story telling was...
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been ? with MGS since I was 12. Love the game/games. Idk where this "young ppl are not into mgs" came from.

And the cut scenes were ill.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    Been ? with MGS since I was 12. Love the game/games. Idk where this "young ppl are not into mgs" came from.

And the cut scenes were ill.

the story didn't get all complicated till the later games , I was young when the 1st MGS dropped too
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it is.
    The only games that are basically being cranked out are FPS with updated graphics.
    That concept is old and tired.
    The gaming industry is bring a lot like Hollywood.
    There is no creativity, games are essentially carbon copies of each others.
    Nobody is willing to take risks
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Titanfall is some ? game that is being hyped. Notice how they won't show you the 360 version, they probably look the same.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The whole ? gaming industry is losing touch.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think it is.
    The only games that are basically being cranked out are FPS with updated graphics.

Out of all the recently released AAA games, which one of them under-performed because of graphics tho? Your original point was that photo realism was to blame (which I don't agree with) and with your current post, you say it's because of devs basically cranking out the same ? that we already have (which I do agree with). Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, GTA 5, Far Cry 3, Metro Last Light, etc all have great graphics and great gameplay mechanics. MGS4 had great graphics, but who the ? wants to watch 9 hours of non-interactive cut-scenes; ? is unacceptable and it's probably why I only played through MGS4 once and never played it again (aside from MG Online). That's an example of AAA games trying to be like movies and that ? is unnecessary. All the games I mentioned have great stories (Far Cry 3 & GTA 5 was meh story-wise) but they don't OD on cut-scenes like Kojima games and I ? with MGS except for 4. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't like the 3 before it for me.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah we're just losing interest in long winded cutscenes and codec transmitions.
  • achewon87
    Options
    nah we're just losing interest in long winded cutscenes and codec transmitions.

Funny you say that...

“I wanted to add as much freedom as possible, and that wasn’t possible technology-wise. I had to make a linear game that had cutscenes and make it a little more dramatic. Here, you are able to plan your route.” Ground Zeroes also features far fewer cutscenes or other intrusions than any other Metal Gear game. The codec is now a button-press command to receive audio, rather than to have a conversation. Cutscenes bookend missions in Ground Zeroes, rather than get in the way of them."

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/07/creating-the-next-generation-of-metal-gear-solid

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've played MGS4 multiple times and it never gets old....still love it....especially when you go back to Shadow Moses

• Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it is.

Gaming went downhill when they abandon Japanese games