Driving vs Public Transportation (pros & cons)

Options
2»

Comments

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Driving I don't have much of a choice
  • iNeverCould
    iNeverCould Members Posts: 60
    Options
    Local buses can smell like bums. cars are costly.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • skpjr78
    Options
    YC11 wrote: »
    I've been to Atl, public transportation was ok, what's so bad about it, but I was only there for couple of days,

The problem with mass transit in atl us that it doesn't go anywhere. We have one of the largest geographical metro areas in the nation but Marta only covers two counties. If you are fortunate enough to live and work in Fulton or DeKalb counties Marta is a great option. But if that's not the case you are in stuck in the soup like everyone else.

Right now I live about 30 mins outside the city and by the time I get to the closest train station I've already dealt with the worst of the traffic and might as well go where I'm going. Marta was a great option when I lived in Fulton and worked in DeKalb. I think Marta is supposed to be expanding to Clayton county. They need it in Gwinnett and Cobb as well but until that happens Marta will continue to be a joke.
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    I've been to Atl, public transportation was ok, what's so bad about it, but I was only there for couple of days,

The problem with mass transit in atl us that it doesn't go anywhere. We have one of the largest geographical metro areas in the nation but Marta only covers two counties. If you are fortunate enough to live and work in Fulton or DeKalb counties Marta is a great option. But if that's not the case you are in stuck in the soup like everyone else.

Right now I live about 30 mins outside the city and by the time I get to the closest train station I've already dealt with the worst of the traffic and might as well go where I'm going. Marta was a great option when I lived in Fulton and worked in DeKalb. I think Marta is supposed to be expanding to Clayton county. They need it in Gwinnett and Cobb as well but until that happens Marta will continue to be a joke.

It's back (used to be there for a few years before they got rid of it) in ClaytonCo, but it doesn't go pass the Clayton County jail off Tara Blvd.

Gwinett or Cobb don't want Marta up their way. They don't want that "element" in their neighborhood's.

• skpjr78
    edited April 2016
    Options
    MallyG wrote: »

It's back (used to be there for a few years before they got rid of it) in ClaytonCo, but it doesn't go pass the Clayton County jail off Tara Blvd.

Gwinett or Cobb don't want Marta up their way. They don't want that "element" in their neighborhood's.

Cacs are so ignorant. They'd rather sit in that 75 & 85 traffic instead of share a train with people of color. Lol at cacs living in Gwinettico and not wanting to be around Mexicans.

Are they building train lines in ClayCo yet?
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've ridden on far too many buses during my school days to never want to ride on any ever again. They're slow, they smell, the people on them smell, etc.
  • MallyG
    Options

Cacs are so ignorant. They'd rather sit in that 75 & 85 traffic instead of share a train with people of color. Lol at cacs living in Gwinettico and not wanting to be around Mexicans.

They will never extend train lines out that far south. Never!
  • jniam
    jniam Members Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I live in the DC area and the metro is pretty good. About 35 mins to my internship. It's even better because my point of origin is one of the first stops on the line, so the train is pretty empty. I grab myself a corner seat and just read my book. By the time we get downtown, the train car is packed (rush hour) but I still have a cool seat.

My office is 2 blocks from my point of exit. Pretty sweet deal.

I still have a car but I don't use it for work. Just use it for weekends and stuff.

In DC, it's way better to use the metro when going out. No worries about "ohh...I gotta get my car or reload the meter". Just hop on the train and go. Or hail an Uber.
  • skpjr78
    Options

So whats the point? I ? with the trains but ? a bus. Trains get you out of traffic while buses get stuck in traffic. If you're gonna sit in traffic you might as well drive your own car.
  • MallyG
    Options

So whats the point? I ? with the trains but ? a bus. Trains get you out of traffic while buses get stuck in traffic. If you're gonna sit in traffic you might as well drive your own car.

The point of it is that the people of ClayCo voted to get Marta back b/c a lot of those folks in the Riverdale, Jonesboro, Pointe South, community wanted access to the airport b/c a lot of people have jobs up there (Hartsfield-Jackson is Atlanta's largest employer). Marta is cheap as ? anyway and they wouldn't think it would warrant extending the rail line out that far into the Southside. Plus it's not a guarantee that Marta actually stays in ClayCo!

• skpjr78
    Options

The point of it is that the people of ClayCo voted to get Marta back b/c a lot of those folks in the Riverdale, Jonesboro, Pointe South, community wanted access to the airport b/c a lot of people have jobs up there (Hartsfield-Jackson is Atlanta's largest employer). Marta is cheap as ? anyway and they wouldn't think it would warrant extending the rail line out that far into the Southside. Plus it's not a guarantee that Marta actually stays in ClayCo!

Didnt clayco have their own bus system at one point? Didnt they have some cct type ? ? Whats the point of having marta w/o the trains? I guess its cheaper to join marta and run their buses than start and operate your own bus system. Buses w/o trains is like putting hd cable on a black and white tv. You can still watch it but you lise 90% of its effectiveness. I dont get it
  • RedBullNLoud
    RedBullNLoud Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Options
    NY born n raised...Riding btwn cars smoking n hopping turnstiles r rights of passages outchea. BUT as soon as I could get my license, I did. Still hop on the train for Yanks n Nets gms n Manhattan appointments tho...
  • skpjr78
    edited September 2016
    Options

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2015/7/27/9936806/marta-clayton-county-train-atlanta-airport

MARTA Launches Studies to Bring Rail to Clayton County

In the first real step toward bringing a new rail line to Clayton County, MARTA has announced three studies of potential corridors to allow for service as far south as Jonesboro. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that MARTA will work with Norfolk Southern in an effort to determine the possibility of acquiring right-of-way along the existing rail lines to minimize the cost of building a system from scratch. The cooperation marks an improvement in relations between the two organizations; previously MARTA had proposed sharing trackage with the railroad — an idea that proved a non-starter for years. While talks with Norfolk Southern are ongoing, two other studies will examine potential costs for the project and update MARTA's commuter rail concept plan.

[Possible alignment for MARTA rail service to Clayton County. Image via Saporta Report.]
    While various forms of transit — buses, light rail, heavy rail, diesel trains and BRT — are up for consideration, MARTA hopes that a solution can be found to bring heavy rail to Clayton via an agreement with Norfolk Southern. Trains would originate from East Point station and could service Hapeville, Mountain View / Airport — International Terminal, Forest Park / Fort Gillem, Clayton State University, Morrow / Southlake Mall and Jonesboro / Justice Center. However, right-of-way restrictions could limit MARTA to a single track line, meaning north and southbound trains would share a track, with designated pull-offs for passing. (A disaster waiting to happen?)

Until the studies are completed, however, the plans are still up in the air. All three studies will take a year to complete, with a combined cost of around $700,000 to be covered by the new tax.

38hn9oqoqks6.jpg
  • MallyG
    edited February 2017
    Options

Didnt clayco have their own bus system at one point? Didnt they have some cct type ? ? Whats the point of having marta w/o the trains? I guess its cheaper to join marta and run their buses than start and operate your own bus system. Buses w/o trains is like putting hd cable on a black and white tv. You can still watch it but you lise 90% of its effectiveness. I dont get it

Yeah ClayCo had their own bus CCT system (Gwinnett and Cobb have GRTA). And I get what you're saying, but Marta wasn't intended for the rail lines to stretch out that far. The ClayCo u see now wasn't inhabited like that back then like it is now so the compromise is to round up the people in ClayCo by bus, then send them to the nearest station on the Southside, which is College Park. Plus these Hampton and Fayetteville (where I live) folks are not going to go for that rail extension ? . They don't want the chance of the "hood ? " element to creep their way down.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2015/7/27/9936806/marta-clayton-county-train-atlanta-airport

MARTA Launches Studies to Bring Rail to Clayton County

In the first real step toward bringing a new rail line to Clayton County, MARTA has announced three studies of potential corridors to allow for service as far south as Jonesboro. The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that MARTA will work with Norfolk Southern in an effort to determine the possibility of acquiring right-of-way along the existing rail lines to minimize the cost of building a system from scratch. The cooperation marks an improvement in relations between the two organizations; previously MARTA had proposed sharing trackage with the railroad — an idea that proved a non-starter for years. While talks with Norfolk Southern are ongoing, two other studies will examine potential costs for the project and update MARTA's commuter rail concept plan.

[Possible alignment for MARTA rail service to Clayton County. Image via Saporta Report.]
    While various forms of transit — buses, light rail, heavy rail, diesel trains and BRT — are up for consideration, MARTA hopes that a solution can be found to bring heavy rail to Clayton via an agreement with Norfolk Southern. Trains would originate from East Point station and could service Hapeville, Mountain View / Airport — International Terminal, Forest Park / Fort Gillem, Clayton State University, Morrow / Southlake Mall and Jonesboro / Justice Center. However, right-of-way restrictions could limit MARTA to a single track line, meaning north and southbound trains would share a track, with designated pull-offs for passing. (A disaster waiting to happen?)

Until the studies are completed, however, the plans are still up in the air. All three studies will take a year to complete, with a combined cost of around $700,000 to be covered by the new tax.

38hn9oqoqks6.jpg

@skpjr78

I promise you I said "Well I'll be damned!" when I saw this proposal map. lol

It's gonna cost an estimated 700k jus for the studies for the proposed rail lines, not the actual build. As much as this would be good for a lot of people, I just don't see this coming into fruition for a number of reasons.

Just looked @ it again and they got the line goin' damn near into Henry County. Now that's just wishful thinking. lol
  • skpjr78
    edited February 2017
    Options

Yeah ClayCo had their own bus CCT system (Gwinnett and Cobb have GRTA). And I get what you're saying, but Marta wasn't intended for the rail lines to stretch out that far. The ClayCo u see now wasn't inhabited like that back then like it is now so the compromise is to round up the people in ClayCo by bus, then send them to the nearest station on the Southside, which is College Park. Plus these Hampton and Fayetteville (where I live) folks are not going to go for that rail extension ? . They don't want the chance of the "hood ? " element to creep their way down.

When MARTA was initially conceived in the 60s rail lines were supposed to run from Forest Park to Norcross and Marietta. There are actually tunnels between the Ats Center and Lindbergh stations that were supposed to go to Cobb County. These tunnels were built when the initial rail was laid in anticipation of Cobb joining MARTA. Sooner than later Cobb and Gwinett will get on board and we'll finally have a real rapid transit system. That ? , unnecessary Braves stadium in Cobb has made it inevitable.

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends what city you're in.

Some cities - NYC, DC, LA - run 24 hrs (or close to it), so it's not hard to get somewhere. PLUS the parking situations will ? you up, because you may have to constantly move your car from one space to the next, even if you don't use it on a regular basis.

Now, smaller cities who stop public transportation earlier (around 9-11PM, or even earlier on the weekends) almso make it mandatory to have a car on deck, because of the way the land is spread out and how hard it would be to maneuver.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Depends what city you're in.

Some cities - NYC, DC, LA - run 24 hrs (or close to it), so it's not hard to get somewhere. PLUS the parking situations will ? you up, because you may have to constantly move your car from one space to the next, even if you don't use it on a regular basis.

Now, smaller cities who stop public transportation earlier (around 9-11PM, or even earlier on the weekends) almso make it mandatory to have a car on deck, because of the way the land is spread out and how hard it would be to maneuver.

/thread
  • KingLuciano
    KingLuciano Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭
    Options