Future collectible cars (rare investment cars)

Comments

• Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont they still make pontiacs in Australia but just.under the name Holden or sum ?
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wuwop wrote: »
    I got a 84 Monte Carlo ss ttop I just picked up, I'm keeping it until I die

I miss those on cars. The Nissan 280z had them, mid 70's Thunderbird, Vettes, Camaros, Nissan Pulsar, Pontiac Fieros.
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss those on cars. The Nissan 280z had them, mid 70's Thunderbird, Vettes, Camaros, Nissan Pulsar, Pontiac Fieros.

My Auntie has a Gold/Bronze Fiero! She bought it brand new when it came out (in Flint) and it still runs and looks great, it's damn near mint. She been living here in Atlanta now for about 5 years now and she barely drives it, but people stay asking her about that car.

I thought it was one of the coolest whips ever back in the day, especially b/c of the flip headlights and the mid engine.
  • king hassan
    MallyG wrote: »

My Auntie has a Gold/Bronze Fiero! She bought it brand new when it came out (in Flint) and it still runs and looks great, it's damn near mint. She been living here in Atlanta now for about 5 years now and she barely drives it, but people stay asking her about that car.

I thought it was one of the coolest whips ever back in the day, especially b/c of the flip headlights and the mid engine.

Man when those Fieros hit they were killing the game, my homie down the street had a silver one, but he had the GT in a 5 speed, your aunt got something on her hands
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man when those Fieros hit they were killing the game, my homie down the street had a silver one, but he had the GT in a 5 speed, your aunt got something on her hands

I like that color (silver) on that car. The only color I didn't really ? wit was white. I actually think she's tryna sell it now b/c its jus takin' up space now (they have 3 other cars). I don't wanna see it go b/c of the memories of me goin' up to Flint riding around in it when i was little.... It's a rarity to see that car.
  • king hassan

I like that color (silver) on that car. The only color I didn't really ? wit was white. I actually think she's tryna sell it now b/c its jus takin' up space now (they have 3 other cars). I don't wanna see it go b/c of the memories of me goin' up to Flint riding around in it when i was little.... It's a rarity to see that car.

She won't let you get it???
    And my old land lord had a Mazda RX7 sitting in the garage, it had all types of stuff on it, collection dust and whatever else he put on top of it
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current cars that I think will become classics or hold their money:

I wanna get one of these, I think its gonna be the of the V8's for M3's, I love the naturally aspirated sound of them... The Limited 500 run out...

bmw-m3-convertible-4-0-limited-edition-500-blue-605610314-1.jpg

I think the Cayman GTS could be come a classic, I think I heard that have stopped making them???

06f9b72b98c8c4f5d9c7bff67cfd7e9e.jpg

Also I think the Porsche 996 Turbo S could become a classic too, Im sure they were going for quite cheap at one point (after being £120k new) but Im seeing less of them around and I think the prices are rising as a result... They do about 0-60 in 3.1seconds too...

001-2012-porsche-911-918.jpg
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanna get one of these, I think its gonna be the of the V8's for M3's, I love the naturally aspirated sound of them... The Limited 500 run out...

When I was in London those v8 M3's were going for scraps. Well gas is also $7/gallon there too
  • water ur seeds
    Cinco wrote: »

When I was in London those v8 M3's were going for scraps. Well gas is also $7/gallon there too

Yeah petrol has gone down again now I think (i drive a diesel) but yeah Im pretty sure petrol cars that drink fuel like crazy do drop money over here, because they cost so much to run, but this version of the M3, The Limited 500, COULD become a classic if it is the last of the V8s, especially if they move away from the naturally aspirated engines...
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C208 CLK55 AMG

test_front_377x257.jpg

True sleeper running 0-60 in 4.7 seconds. When it was released in the US, Car and Driver hailed it as "The quickest Benz ever sold in America". I think a lot of the older AMG cars will start appreciating in the next 10 years, especially the V12 joints (Fast and Furious 7 spiked the price of the W220 S65 AMG when two of them were featured in the mountain-top chase scene).
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Cayman GTS could be come a classic, I think I heard that have stopped making them???

Also I think the Porsche 996 Turbo S could become a classic too, Im sure they were going for quite cheap at one point (after being £120k new) but Im seeing less of them around and I think the prices are rising as a result... They do about 0-60 in 3.1seconds too...

@water ur seeds

That BMW isnt a collectable and the only people that will pay top dollar is stupid BMW finatics. They basically made regular E92 m3's in new colors and threw a limited badge on it. Also that was the only generation for m3's to have v8's, now its back to twin turbo straight 6's. In america you can get one in the mid 20's and up.

The Cayman isnt a classic and they still make plenty of them. If you're talking about collectable, you'd want the Cayman GT4 they made a limited number of.
    porsche-cayman-gt4-01-1.jpg

They 996 turbo isnt a classic, in fact Porsche fanatics ? on the car for the way Porsche made it look. The good thing about the 996 turbo is, for the amount of money you can get one now, you get a lot of performance. Think you can get one as low as in the 30's.

Also the picture you used is of a 997.2 turbo, not a 996 turbo.
  • water ur seeds
    edited June 2016
    Lurker6 wrote: »

@water ur seeds

That BMW isnt a collectable and the only people that will pay top dollar is stupid BMW fanatics. They basically made regular E92 m3's in new colors and threw a limited badge on it. Also that was the only generation for m3's to have v8's, now its back to twin turbo straight 6's. In america you can get one in the mid 20's and up.

The Cayman isnt a classic and they still make plenty of them. If you're talking about collectable, you'd want the Cayman GT4 they made a limited number of.
    porsche-cayman-gt4-01-1.jpg

They 996 turbo isnt a classic, in fact Porsche fanatics ? on the car for the way Porsche made it look. The good thing about the 996 turbo is, for the amount of money you can get one now, you get a lot of performance. Think you can get one as low as in the 30's.

Also the picture you used is of a 997.2 turbo, not a 996 turbo.

Yeah the 996 had the joint double exhaust I meant to post the 996 but copy and pasted the wrong one as I was looking at different models...

x3gtr5.jpg

The 996 Turbo was going 'cheap' second hand and people were buying them I guess purely on performance, not for the looks, at the time I think Porsche fanatics didnt like the front 'fried egg' headlights of the 996, other than that, it was a beautiful car, anyways the prices seem to be going back up again now, and I think it will become a classic or if it doesnt make classic, the prices look to be going up...

I love Porsche's, and the great thing about 911's, is that no matter what they never look real dated when they get old, like Ferrari's or Lambo's etc (I mean like 10, 15, 20years old) because they never make drastic changes and try to look really futuristic, they are always classy and curvy and age gracefully...
  • water ur seeds
    edited June 2016

@water ur seeds

That BMW isnt a collectable and the only people that will pay top dollar is stupid BMW finatics. They basically made regular E92 m3's in new colors and threw a limited badge on it. Also that was the only generation for m3's to have v8's, now its back to twin turbo straight 6's. In america you can get one in the mid 20's and up.

Also, no one knows what is going to become a classic, but in Europe people have mentioned the Limited 500 becoming a classic, due to it probably being the last of V8 M3 and it WAS gonna be called the M4, and the M4 looks to be becoming more popular IMO, or BMW look to be pushing the M4 more...

The new M3 will probably be turbo IMO, like the M4s are, the M3s have NEVER been turbos and have been known for their naturally aspirated engines and people like me still liked the traditional noise it still made with the V8 n/a engine, the distinct sound M3 rattle or whatever people choose to call it, they wont sound like that with a turbo...

The V8 M3 I posted WAS gonna be called the M4, but people wanted to keep the M3 name, so obviously they called it the M3... I think the M3 will be fazed out, so M3s will probably go up in price if this is true... And this model COULD be the last...

'BMW isn't saying it in as many words, but this definitely has the feel of a run-out special. Which means that wonderful N/A V8 surely is not long for this world...'

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/general-pistonheads/bmw-m3-limited-edition-500-revealed/25286
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

@water ur seeds

Also, no one knows what is going to become a classic, but in Europe people have mentioned the Limited 500 becoming a classic, due to it probably being the last of V8 M3 and it WAS gonna be called the M4, and the M4 looks to be becoming more popular IMO, or BMW look to be pushing the M4 more...

The new M3 will probably be turbo IMO, like the M4s are, the M3s have NEVER been turbos and have been known for their naturally aspirated engines and people like me still liked the traditional noise it still made with the V8 n/a engine, the distinct sound M3 rattle or whatever people choose to call it, they wont sound like that with a turbo...

The V8 M3 I posted WAS gonna be called the M4, but people wanted to keep the M3 name, so obviously they called it the M3... I think the M3 will be fazed out, so M3s will probably go up in price if this is true... And this model COULD be the last...

'BMW isn't saying it in as many words, but this definitely has the feel of a run-out special. Which means that wonderful N/A V8 surely is not long for this world...'

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/general-pistonheads/bmw-m3-limited-edition-500-revealed/25286

The new m3 is already out, they just dont make a coupe anymore. They replaced the m3 coupe with the m4. And i hate to break it to you, but the new m3 is a twin turbo straight 6. Also they been stopped making the E92 m3 in like 2013....and they made tens of thousands of them so how could if be a rare collectable classic when they made a bunch?
    this is the new m3 since 2014
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • water ur seeds
    edited June 2016

@water ur seeds

The new m3 is already out, they just dont make a coupe anymore. They replaced the m3 coupe with the m4. And i hate to break it to you, but the new m3 is a twin turbo straight 6. Also they been stopped making the E92 m3 in like 2013....and they made tens of thousands of them so how could if be a rare collectable classic when they made a bunch?
    this is the new m3 since 2014
    maxresdefault.jpg

Thats what I was on about breda!!! Hence why the 'Limited 500' COULD become classic in years to come... Im not the only one saying this... Ive been looking at an M3 for a while, I looked at the new M3 and the M4... The M4 is nice dope... But like I was saying its:

a) the last m3 coupe

b) the last of the n/a engine

c) they supposedly only made 500 of them

The M4 is clearly taking over IMO and it wont be long until they phase the M3 out, if I get an M3 I want 2 doors not 4...

They supposedly only made 500 of them, hence the 'Limited 500' part, though like I said wouldnt be surprised if they made more then 500 though...

Plus people crash cars like M3's and they disappear, abit like the Ford Cosworths, some go for like 100k now, probably due to the fact people raced them and crashed them... M3 drivers are known for driving like ? , but I still want one haha I got an X6 at the moment but I wanna get rid of it soon and p/x it... Either for the Limited 500 or C63...

Ive always wanted a Porsche C4S, though its mad impractical for me and I cant afford to have one as a second car!!! The Turbo my is my dream car, the 997 especially, but yeah is way outta my price range, though Ive driven one, and a 996...

• konceptjones
    edited June 2016
    [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/1993_Ford_? _RS_Cosworth_Luxury_%2814736242742%29.jpg[/img]

The 1995 Ford ? RS Cosworth. Well known in Europe, virtually unknown in the USA because they were never officially offered for sale here. Largely the same bodywork as the US ? (minus the front grill/lights and tail lights of the car). This car was the ? that could leave a Mustang behind and is widely acknowledged as one of Ford's best road and track cars ever made.

In 1995, 20 were legally imported to the US. There are a handful (I think less than 5) of others that made it here via the gray market.

I remember a magazine article about these things back in '95 when they were being imported at a price of $50K IIRC.
  • konceptjones
    ST165_1988_black_mchoi.jpg

1988-1989 Toyota Celica All-Trac Turbo (aka GT-Four)

I can only think of three of these I've ever seen in my entire life. I've seen more Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Lotus, and other exotics more than these. ? ... I've seen more DeTomaso Pantera's in my life than this car.

Rare as ? in the US, truthfully made from 1986-1989 but Toyota didn't bring them to the US until 1988. Full time 4WD and a turbo 4 making 190hp. For the late 80's this was a pretty decent performer and it was a very competitive rally car (13 WRC wins for the original version).
  • water ur seeds
    [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/1993_Ford_? _RS_Cosworth_Luxury_%2814736242742%29.jpg[/img]

The 1995 Ford ? RS Cosworth. Well known in Europe, virtually unknown in the USA because they were never officially offered for sale here. Largely the same bodywork as the US ? (minus the front grill/lights and tail lights of the car). This car was the ? that could leave a Mustang behind and is widely acknowledged as one of Ford's best road and track cars ever made.

In 1995, 20 were legally imported to the US. There are a handful (I think less than 5) of others that made it here via the gray market.

I remember a magazine article about these things back in '95 when they were being imported at a price of $50K IIRC.

Yeah thats what I mentioned in the post above, all the Escorts Cosworths are a fortune now as are the Ford Sierra Cosworths... All can go for over 100k, they arnt even an investment as the chances are you will never find one cheap haha... Mercedes even did a collabo with Cosworth too...
  • konceptjones
    S2.jpg

Pontiac Sunbird GT Turbo

This car is rarer than the Celica All-Trac Turbo as far as I know. I've only seen two of them on the streets back in Detroit and both from different generations of Sunbird. This one is the final version with it's 165hp turbo 2.0L 4 cylinder. After 1991, GM dropped the turbo 4's for their 140hp 3.1L 60 degree ? as ? V6.

... and before I forget, lemme throw up another Pontiac...
  • konceptjones
    26462960001_large.jpg

1989-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-ASC-McLaren-720x340.jpg

1989 Pontiac/ ASC McLaren Grand Prix Turbo

See... In the late 90's Pontiac had some fairly interesting cars. This was one of them.

In 1989 Pontiac dropped the Grand Prix Turbo on everyone. Fewer than 800 were made and this particular car I've only seen once on the street. Pontiac had McLaren turbo charge the same 3.1L 60 degree V6 that powered most of GM's lineup and give it a nice body kit. When GM finished development on the 3.4L Quad Cam V6 the turbo engine was dropped and the car received a new designation of "Grand Prix GTP".
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Lefty wrote: »
    If you got an original 95-96 impala SS, hold it, and take care of it. If you have this year's version of the stingray vette... Keep it. Keep the miles low, them corvette ? are a cult.... Speaking of cults, if you have this year's hellcat... Mopar has got to be the most expensive ? i've ever seen when it's classic status. Them mopar dudes are the model of brand loyalty.

Realest ? said in this Let Me Ride Forum
  • konceptjones
    18w9ubgn8l0qfjpg.jpg

1990-1991 Oldsmobile Calais 442 W41

There's two versions of this car, the "normal" 442 with it's 180HP Quad 4, and the pictured W41 variant with 190hp and a higher redline. The W41 had just over 200 built, I've seen two running around Detroit back inna day. Motor Trend included it in their 1990 sports car shootout which included the likes of the MR2, 300ZXTT, Corvette, and Dodge Stealth RT Turbo. IIRC the 442 ranked pretty high on the list.
  • konceptjones

Yeah thats what I mentioned in the post above, all the Escorts Cosworths are a fortune now as are the Ford Sierra Cosworths... All can go for over 100k, they arnt even an investment as the chances are you will never find one cheap haha... Mercedes even did a collabo with Cosworth too...

They did a couple of them, the 190E 2.5-16 (One was for sale out here two years ago on Craigslist), and those 190E Evo cars.

I actually considered throwing up the Merkur XR4Ti because it really ain't ? but an American Sierra, but we didn't get the Cosworth variant so I was like "nah...".
  • konceptjones
    Spirit_RT_Front34.jpg

Dodge Spirit R/T Turbo

For two years (91 and 92) Chrysler built the fastest sedan built in America. The Spirit RT Turbo was quicker than the BMW M5 for the same years. They're rare as ? too with only a couple thousand ever built.

In truth, between 1991 and 1992 Dodge had some of the flat out fastest American cars on the road with the Shadow ES Turbo, Spirit Turbo, Daytona Iroc Z, Stealth RT Twin Turbo, and the Viper.
  • water ur seeds
    edited June 2016

They did a couple of them, the 190E 2.5-16 (One was for sale out here two years ago on Craigslist), and those 190E Evo cars.

I actually considered throwing up the Merkur XR4Ti because it really ain't ? but an American Sierra, but we didn't get the Cosworth variant so I was like "nah...".

Yeah them Mercades Cosworths were gems... Similar to the Costwoth era, we had the Ford XR3i, RS Turbo and XR2i which are pretty rare or expensive these days as boy racers smashed them up racing haha When I was kid I always wanted an XR3i or RS Turbo!!!

In the 80s Rover prodcued some super fast cars for their days, the SD1 or SDI Vitesse, Im pretty sure the Police even used them...

Schitt now reminiscing, the Renault 5 Turbo was big car for the boy racers that rarely exists now, so if you could find one of them Im sure they would be worth good money... I think some of them Fords now are about 10k-ish on Ebay... And they are probably driven into the ground...

34699d1348570237-renault-5-gt-turbo-1990-sale-qld-dsc_3001.jpg

ebay313266.jpg

1139_1202609427_link.jpg

[img]http://img.pistonheads.com.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/Thumbnail/ford/? /1-6-rs-turbo-3dr/ford-? -1-6-rs-turbo-3dr-145259961-3.jpg[/img]