Options
    The greatest bball story I've ever heard was about Chris Mullin
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    College basketball aint the same

One and done syndrome?
    Commissioner Silver going to get it to 2 years and everyone can stop ? .

I meant the big east
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

tell it
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    John Thompson's Hoya > Fab 5

Culturally speaking.

What Jalen and co did was great but they overrate themselves: baggy shorts hiphop black socks, ? out of here.

Even Nolan Richardsons 94 and 95 who was ? with them?

Revisionist history...contrarian thinking.

1) If you look at NBA top draft picks of that era, Chris Webber was a big watershed moment for underclassman to go #1.

Before Webber, Shaq was a JR, LJ was a senior, Pervis was a SR, Danny Manning was a senior.

After Webber, Joe Smith, soph, AI soph, Elton Brand soph, etc

2) They put certain Nikes on the map. Before them teams wore basic nike bball shoes. With them, they single handedly launched those Hurraches and the Barkleys ( more so than Barkley!). UNLV and Gtown made a ? load of money, too, off their apparel in the hood, but shoe money was a whole diff ballgame. this trickled down into teams wearign more recognizable shoes, down to AAU and even HS, where they realized the power of that swoosh. Now u got 'Nike High Schools' and Addidas high schools.

3) They ignited the 'should players get paid' conversation at the time. Due to the amount of money they were bringin in
  • GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT story @Elzo69Revolutions but damn you gotta be pushin 35?

As for the Big East... I see Rafael Addison (played @ Syracuse from 82-86) in the gym every morning and we talk sports at least 2 times a week... Monday morning I saw him and was like, "yeah I saw Pat throw your ? on TV last night"... he died laughing...

But the craziest thing was all the mean muggin and fights that happened back then. Pat would have been suspended for 80% of the season now... man I miss those days!
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GettinLo wrote: »

As for the Big East... I see Rafael Addison (played @ Syracuse from 82-86) in the gym every morning and we talk sports at least 2 times a week... Monday morning I saw him and was like, "yeah I saw Pat throw your ? on TV last night"... he died laughing...

But the craziest thing was all the mean muggin and fights that happened back then. Pat would have been suspended for 80% of the season now... man I miss those days!

hell no i aint pushing no 35, i wrote a few articles for BounceMag, i remember one of the readers telling the Chris Mullin story
  • GettinLo
    Options

hell no i aint pushing no 35, i wrote a few articles for BounceMag, i remember one of the readers telling the Chris Mullin story

Ha... crazy ? is... I'm from NJ and played pickup ball a lot of dudes in the Big East and ACC from back then...

Most notably Hurley, Jerry Walker (SHU), Terry DeHere, John Morton & Roderick Rhodes... All them dudes ate me up SMH
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ha... crazy ? is... I'm from NJ and played pickup ball a lot of dudes in the Big East and ACC from back then...

Most notably Hurley, Jerry Walker (SHU), Terry DeHere, John Morton & Roderick Rhodes... All them dudes ate me up SMH

From Jersey too. Used to see Tate George from UConn and Eric Williams from Providence a lot in Newark.
  • GettinLo
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »

From Jersey too. Used to see Tate George from UConn and Eric Williams from Providence a lot in Newark.

Tate was from the Vailsburg section, my wife went to Union Catholic with him... his ass just got locked up on a Pyramid scheme (SMH).
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »

Tate was from the Vailsburg section, my wife went to Union Catholic with him... his ass just got locked up on a Pyramid scheme (SMH).

Home sweet home. Yeah, we used to see Tate all the time at the post office on Stuyvesant Ave.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    John Thompson's Hoya > Fab 5

Culturally speaking.

What Jalen and co did was great but they overrate themselves: baggy shorts hiphop black socks, ? out of here.

Even Nolan Richardsons 94 and 95 who was ? with them?

Revisionist history...contrarian thinking.

1) If you look at NBA top draft picks of that era, Chris Webber was a big watershed moment for underclassman to go #1.

Before Webber, Shaq was a JR, LJ was a senior, Pervis was a SR, Danny Manning was a senior.

After Webber, Joe Smith, soph, AI soph, Elton Brand soph, etc

2) They put certain Nikes on the map. Before them teams wore basic nike bball shoes. With them, they single handedly launched those Hurraches and the Barkleys ( more so than Barkley!). UNLV and Gtown made a ? load of money, too, off their apparel in the hood, but shoe money was a whole diff ballgame. this trickled down into teams wearign more recognizable shoes, down to AAU and even HS, where they realized the power of that swoosh. Now u got 'Nike High Schools' and Addidas high schools.

3) They ignited the 'should players get paid' conversation at the time. Due to the amount of money they were bringin in

I'll give you the leaving early, the rest is frivolous
    But no one else was talking about paying college players?
    Thompson and Nolan were leaders, especially at these Lilly white places, winning national title a piece, going to final fours, winning conference tourneys. We take a black coach for granted now (bball that is, football has a way to go).

I'm not talking about some follow batty nonsense.
  • bignorm
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Terry Dehere was "da gawd" of college basketball at one point lol
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bignorm wrote: »

tell it
    i used to scrimmage against Mullin @ St.Vincents ferrier in flatbush,brooklyn. he was a lil older than us,but he would use the younger kids to run against to keep his hand speed up and shoot from deep,said he wasnt going to gain anything by driving to the basket on us. he was much quicker/faster than people wanted to give him credit for. and the jump shot? straight ratchet!

funny note, lou carnesecca used to have a teen skills camp at st. johns over the summer back in the days. back in 82,83 if im remembering it right, i was there along with my cousin and his friend. my cousins friend was a tad bit cocky with his to say the least,mouth definitely didnt match his game,lol! mullin was there as a counselor for the camp. my cousin’s friend started to talking ish to mullin,saying that he was over rated,that he wasnt as good as people make him out to be,that it was was all hype basically. my cousin and i knew better cause we seen him shoot the gym up in st.vincents ferrier plenty of times,so we stayed quiet. mullin was a good sport about it,but the kid just kept ear beating him. so carnesecca says ok kid,you go to the shooting station with chris,and see how well you do. cousins friend gets up,shoot till you miss from the free throw line drill. he makes 8 straight before he misses. mullin starts shooting. after 15 straight all net shots,the kid says thats too easy,youre supposed to make those! mullin says cool,i’ll move around,even go further back. matter of fact,i’ll let you pick where i shoot it from! kid picks all these obsurd angles,and mullin is splashing them with ease. by the way its 32 straight makes now. the kid is resiliant,refusing to give mullin his props,so mullin says ok,how about from the half? and better yet,i’ll even go glass! kid,still defiant says BET! mullin moves along the half court line from one end to the other,going glass and cashing them,with ease! not heaving it,not throwing and aiming it,he’s shooting it. mullin makes 12 more from the half,bring the total to 44 straight shots. finally carnesecca calls him off cause the whole camp is watching him instead of doing the drills. mullin tells the kid that i know i’ll make the shot before i take it,once you know that,the rest is easy. to prove his point,mullin turns sideways with his right shoulder facing the basket and shoots a lefty hook from the half…..cash. he inspired me to get a ratchet after that! i never quite got his accuracy,but i defintiely cleaned and toned my mechanics thx to him……

Damn
  • S2J
    Options
    I was about to call ducktales like a mfer. ? 35 ngga would have to b 40+ lol But I get it, it was a reader.
    I dont believe the reader's story tho ijs
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not to take anything away from Mullin, but 90% of these legendary tales about old players are a bunch of horse-?
  • S2J
    Options
    Not to take anything away from Mullin, but 90% of these legendary tales about old players are a bunch of horse-?

Exactly. That ngga did not make 12 straight from half court...all glass...then turn to his side...still talkin... and hit a hook shot
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ive heard mullen got crazy stroke nh...i saw this random ass video last year he made like 15 3's n a row at a kings practice...(hes like a advisor)
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just posted the story cuz i liked it...it might be type exaggerated but I ve seen marginal players go bonkers in shooting drills so I don't doubt Mullin could light it up something crazy....
  • bignorm
    Options
    yo, who else in here learned the difference between true talent vs ballhogging chuckers from 90's college basketball?

Victor Page vs AI
    Travis best vs Starbury

who else saw ? that were cant miss ballers, suck in the pro's?
    Randolf "da gawd" Childress
    Shawn Respert???????????
    Lou Roe?
    Lawrence Moten?
  • S2J
    Options
    I just posted the story cuz i liked it...it might be type exaggerated but I ve seen marginal players go bonkers in shooting drills so I don't doubt Mullin could light it up something crazy....

Oh no doubt. The most avg NBA player nails verything in practice. I remember a old vid of Deshawn stevenson goin ? for tat with Arenas, them nggas hit like 80/100 threes...

So i dnt dispute the 40 shots in a row...half court tho. No.

He did not hit 12...turn to the side...still talkin...and hit a hook shot.
  • S2J
    Options
    yo, who else in here learned the difference between true talent vs ballhogging chuckers from 90's college basketball?

Victor Page vs AI
    Travis best vs Starbury

Shawn Respert???????????
    Lou Roe?
    Lawrence Moten?

Wow. Goat. Thats the golden era right there

Respert n Snow, Fire and Ice

Todd Day and Lee Mayberry, MayDay

Post Fab 5, Louis Bullock

Todd Bergen bowlegged ass ngga nh

Lazarus Hicks!

Lethal Weapon 3, Kenny Anderson, Nick Anderson, Brian Oliver

Charlie ward,sam cassell,and bob sura
  • GettinLo
    Options
    S2J wrote: »

Victor Page vs AI
    Travis best vs Starbury

Shawn Respert???????????
    Lou Roe?
    Lawrence Moten?

Wow. Goat. Thats the golden era right there

Respert n Snow, Fire and Ice

Todd Day and Lee Mayberry, MayDay

Post Fab 5, Louis Bullock

Todd Bergen bowlegged ass ngga nh

Lazarus Hicks!

Lethal Weapon 3, Kenny Anderson, Nick Anderson, Brian Oliver

Charlie ward,sam cassell,and bob sura

Loyola Marymount - Hank Gathers & Bo Kimble
  • bignorm
    Options
    Bob Sura, one of the few white boys who would straight up yam on you.
    Shawn Good & Ace Custis???
    Jerry Stackhouse???
    Cherokee Parks
  • S2J
    Options
    ^^^You got me w/ Shawn Good and Ace Custis Lol Custis sounds familiar. I wanna say VTech

My ? from Charlottesville, i told him UVA aint been this nice seen Junior Burroughs and Curtis Staples