A big-bang theory gets a big boost: Evidence that vast cosmos was created in split second

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whar wrote: »
    The grounding of our ethics and morals is based on empathy, compassion, and reason. It provides a much better foundation than scripture.

Just admit that you make it up as you go along. Some people can't feel empathy and the reason for compassion changes from person to person.
  • zombie
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    There are observable measures of right and wrong in history

Observable by who?? Man and man makes up his concept of right or wrong as he goes along.

Observable by man obviously. The values that are shared by each and every culture are of more merit than those specific to certain regions.

There exist no set of values that all people share just say you make it up as you go along.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The grounding of our ethics and morals is based on empathy, compassion, and reason. It provides a much better foundation than scripture.

Agreed. The morals and "ethics" seen in scripture are very questionable and at times evil. As 12 Years A Slave, via movie or the non-fiction book written by a slave testify to, the Bible is one of the biggest supporters of slavery in history. I can never take the Bible seriously as a result.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options

Just admit that you make it up as you go along. Some people can't feel empathy and the reason for compassion changes from person to person.

That can go for Christians too though. Some of the biggest monsters in history were religious Christians who read scripture all the time. Christopher Columbus was a devout Christian and because the Bible makes clear DEATH is the punishment for those who don't believe in one ? , he justified the massacre and enslavement of Native Americans, who generally were polytheistic. THAT'S EVIL. The British and Spanish Empires were Christian ones, same with the Belgiums, and those regimes committed atrocities on a global scale. The Bible is actually a horrible book for one who wishes to become a moral person.

The Bible supports also supports slavery and the beating of slaves. It's one of the reasons so many people don't ? with the Bible anymore or don't take it seriously, and I've yet to see anyone properly justify why the Bible supports slavery and the beating of slaves. For the record, I am a former Christian who went to Christian School for 10 years, and my disgust with the Bible grew each year I learned more about it. I'm no atheist but I would rather be an atheist then be a Christian.
  • zombie
    edited April 2014
    Options

That can go for Christians too though. Some of the biggest monsters in history were religious Christians who read scripture all the time. Christopher Columbus was a devout Christian and because the Bible makes clear DEATH is the punishment for those who don't believe in one ? , he justified the massacre and enslavement of Native Americans, who generally were polytheistic. THAT'S EVIL. The British and Spanish Empires were Christian ones, same with the Belgiums, and those regimes committed atrocities on a global scale. The Bible is actually a horrible book for one who wishes to become a moral person.

The Bible supports also supports slavery and the beating of slaves. It's one of the reasons so many people don't ? with the Bible anymore or don't take it seriously, and I've yet to see anyone properly justify why the Bible supports slavery and the beating of slaves. For the record, I am a former Christian who went to Christian School for 10 years, and my disgust with the Bible grew each year I learned more about it. I'm no atheist but I would rather be an atheist then be a Christian.

The actions of christians often do not reflect the actuallly teachings and that is what many did not understand . what christ told us to do we often do not do, we recognize this. We don't reach our standard but we do have one atheist don't have any. They make ? up as they go along or use the standards of other men.

that is what they do but they just don't want to come out and say it
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are observable measures of right and wrong in history

Observable by who?? Man and man makes up his concept of right or wrong as he goes along.

Observable by man obviously. The values that are shared by each and every culture are of more merit than those specific to certain regions.

There exist no set of values that all people share just say you make it up as you go along.

I didn't say all people, but societies at large.

However the idea that something that is common or most popular is more correct is an appeal to majority and poor logic.
  • whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options

What do you mean by "make it up as you go along"? If you mean I wake up in the morning then decide my morals and ethics for that day as things happen to me then I would absolutely deny it. That is simply ridiculous.

If you mean morals change over time from culture to culture then sure that's true. It is also true of religious morals. I doubt what you hold as christian morality would compare to what christian morality was 600 years ago.
  • zombie
    Options

What do you mean by "make it up as you go along"? If you mean I wake up in the morning then decide my morals and ethics for that day as things happen to me then I would absolutely deny it. That is simply ridiculous.

If you mean morals change over time from culture to culture then sure that's true. It is also true of religious morals. I doubt what you hold as christian morality would compare to what christian morality was 600 years ago.

The standard is the same , what christ said was wrong or right then is right or wrong now.
  • whar
    Options
    If the standard is the same why is it so different over the centuries?

Do you believe that you now know some truth of what Jesus meant that 2,000 years of Christianity missed?
  • zombie
    Options
    If the standard is the same why is it so different over the centuries?

Do you believe that you now know some truth of what Jesus meant that 2,000 years of Christianity missed?

It has not been different over the centuries, our adherence to it has waxed and waned this happens not only on a societal sense but on the individual level also. There is no hidden truth jesus gave it to us simple, most cannot live the way is instructed because people are too selfish and afraid of each other, we lack real faith in his words. But they are still the standard by which we judge ourselves.
  • whar
    Options
    Can I assume you only holds the words of Jesus as holy and the rest of the bible is not used to base your morals?
  • zombie
    Options
    Can I assume you only holds the words of Jesus as holy and the rest of the bible is not used to base your morals?

the entire goal of the old testament is the creation of the christ. and in his teachings are found the spirit of the old testament
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did you guys settle this age-old debate once and for all yet? Surely after 26 pages there has been some kind of resolution.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Double platinum thread
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jabu_Rule wrote: »
    The big bang isn't exactly right. It's like the big expansion. The universe was compressed.

like those Zip files.. heaps of ? in them
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the Qu'ran makes more sense than the Bible when speaking on creation etc..

But quite frankly I don't care for religion anymore
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Why you all arguing about the most overrated theory to hit science in years the "big bang theory" That theory has fizzled out in the scientific community for about 8 years. That was the laziest theory Science ever spewed out, science is on to other theories
  • rodneyskinner
    rodneyskinner Members Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Options
    Didn't read.....

But what I have read was, "In the beginning ? created....." Not tryna sneak diss but as simple as the verse is, I think it answers even the most complex questions that man has ever asked. Personally, I think I'll stick with the Bible. Yall can keep getting ur "new knowledge" from these Scientists. I'm gud with the ancient truth..

If the story belonged to the Bible then it would be own to something. Science does list creative epochs in a similar fashion to those listed in the bible created days.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big bang theory= science lazy theory to rival the creation story except they took ? out of the equation.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Science doesn't deal with the realm of ? since it's suppose to be outside of the natural realm. Science deals with the observation, testing, and research of the natural world and cosmos. Why would they research with something that is beyond the natural? That's kind of idiotic.
  • whar
    Options
    Big Bang theory is the outcome of Einstein's General Relativity. It is foundational to our understanding of modern cosmology. There is no reason to believe events prior to the big bang are supernatural. Both M-theory and quantum loop gravity theory have aspects of them that can be extended beyond our universe. While neither is fully supported or very well confirmed they certainly make the realm prior to our universe explorable with natural means.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Big Bang theory is the outcome of Einstein's General Relativity. It is foundational to our understanding of modern cosmology. There is no reason to believe events prior to the big bang are supernatural. Both M-theory and quantum loop gravity theory have aspects of them that can be extended beyond our universe. While neither is fully supported or very well confirmed they certainly make the realm prior to our universe explorable with natural means.

1. Both the creation of the world and the events prior to the creation of the world have supernatural origin. His name is Yeshua. Do you know Him?
    2. LOL @ exploring the realm prior to our universe while in this body. Impossible.
    3. You will only get to "explore" the realm that exists beyond our universe if you are washed in the blood of Christ.
    4. If you haven't confessed (agreed) that Jesus is both LORD and Savior prior to death, you will be tormented in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone forever and ever.
    5. So the question is will you make a decision for Messiah Yeshua today my friend @whar67 ?