Comments

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I don't think that black people should stop saying ? if we don't want. But...the premise of this thread is ? stupid. Lol.

LOL I agree wholeheartedly it's dumb as ? . But that's the argument people use so why stop there let's eliminate anything that could be traced back to racism.

No, that's what I mean. The origin of those things in this country cannot be traced back to slavery. The origins of '? ' in this country can. That's why the premise is stupid.

Like I said in the other thread that's a common misconception. ? comes from "nigre" which is Black in Latin. ? was a neutral term used to describe any darker skinned people before it became a racist word. The word "? " was actually invented before the modern concept of "racism"

But this proves my point, though. This is all I'm saying. The use of the word '? ' in this country actually ORIGINATED as a word to describe people of a certain skin color.

Those other words like had 'Chains' had a very complete meaning about something that had nothing to do with race long before slavery. See what I'm saying?
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think that black people should stop saying ? if we don't want. But...the premise of this thread is ? stupid. Lol.

LOL I agree wholeheartedly it's dumb as ? . But that's the argument people use so why stop there let's eliminate anything that could be traced back to racism.

No, that's what I mean. The origin of those things in this country cannot be traced back to slavery. The origins of '? ' in this country can. That's why the premise is stupid.

Like I said in the other thread that's a common misconception. ? comes from "nigre" which is Black in Latin. ? was a neutral term used to describe any darker skinned people before it became a racist word. The word "? " was actually invented before the modern concept of "racism"

But this proves my point, though. This is all I'm saying. The use of the word '? ' in this country actually ORIGINATED as a word to describe people of a certain skin color.

Those other words like had 'Chains' had a very complete meaning about something that had nothing to do with race long before slavery. See what I'm saying?

? had nothing to do with "race" originally either, it was about skin complexion. It was even used to describe darker skinned Europeans who would today be considered "White", like Italians. And if not "chain" for necklace what about "whip" for car?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? needa stop being ?
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? had nothing to do with "race" originally either, it was about skin complexion. It was even used to describe darker skinned Europeans who would today be considered "White", like Italians. And if not "chain" for necklace what about "whip" for car?

Yeah, that's what I just said. Per my post...'The use of the word '? ' in this country actually ORIGINATED as a word to describe people of a certain skin color.'

And the word 'Whip' existed in it's current form long before it was associated with slavery.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And

We should stop calling Nigerians "Nigerian" because the origin of the name "Nigeria" has the same root as "? "
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was always under the impression that nobody knew the origins of the word....

Stiff got the answers?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Du_Du wrote: »
    ? needa stop being ?

on-the-same-page-gif-comeqntv.gif
  • Copper
    Options
    And

We should stop calling Nigerians "Nigerian" because the origin of the name "Nigeria" has the same root as "? "
    Stop...
    You ain't got the answers stiff
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
  • Copper
    Options
    OP a ? ? !
    His argument is silly as ?

• twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    What if we in a crowded theater and some fool bust in blastin...would it be wrong if I
    was to yell to the Black Man in front of me that's movin' slow to "RUN ? !!!"....

when is ok to use the term "? ", ? ?

Also, ? so creative , 'well substitute the word ? for ? . it's already happenin. now what, ? ?

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shouldn't black people also stop:

Referring to cars as "whips"-- because slave owners used whips on our ancestors
    Referring to necklaces as "chains" -- because chains were used on our ancestors to enslave us
    Using the term "boy" all together -- because racist whites would call grown black men "boy" to demean them
    Using the old-school term "ace" -- because it's kind of close to "? ", which was a slur and is also short for "ace-boon-? " which contains "? " which is an obvious slur
    Using the term "dog" to refer to your friends, associates (ie. "that's my dawg") -- because whites use to dehumanize us so we should never refer to ourselves as animals of any sort.
    Speaking English -- because it is not our ancestral tongue and was the language of the people that enslaved us.
    Living in America ---because our very presence here is a result of slavery and Diaspora.

Or should we focus ALL of our energy on other, more pressing issues that are wrong in our community

or nah

Yet you made a thread solely about defending your right to be called "? " as opposed to a thread about all these other more pressing issues.

You didn't answer my question. I wouldn't have made the thread had it not been for the discussion we had in that other one or that video and the sentiment that older people have.

Had I made a thread about the prison industrial complex and targeted drug law enforcement it probably would have been ignored or moved to the social lounge to die

Ok I'll answer.. while you might think ? is a term of endearment... the real power structure in this country considers a ? to be something that is less than human - their definition hasn't changed and this is evidenced by the number of ? residing in the prison industrial complex.

Not black men... ? .

So if you were to make a thread about the prison business in America and it didn't get buried in SL - hopefully the question would come up of how it was possible to groom a class of people who enthusiastically become part of that system. What must they think of themselves? Do they consider themselves to be less than human? How do they refer to themselves? I bet even if they call each other ? they don't call black c.o.'s that to their face. Why is that? If it's a matter of respect then why not have the same respect for yourself that you do for someone else? Again... could it be that they think of themselves as something less than human - even if it's solely on a subconscious level?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't use the word as often as I used to, especially around older Black people. But I don't judge anyone who does, I just think too many of us overuse the word.
  • UltraIncredible
    UltraIncredible Members Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If black people have to stop calling each other "? ", white people should have to stop calling each other "dude" and "bro".
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I honestly use the word to talk about everyone, not just blacks, but for real you can speak curse words only if thats how you wanna live... but dont act like that ? wont hold you back at some point
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The word "? " has always been used as a demeaning term, do your homework
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is stupid