facebook bought the oculus rift, virtual reality console

Alkinduz
Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in IllGaming
Damnnnnnn for 2 billion usd....

update mark zuckerberg and Marcus pearson:

Mark: “Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face — just by putting on goggles in your home. This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.”

Marcus Persson: "Don’t get me wrong, VR is not bad for social. In fact, I think social could become one of the biggest applications of VR. Being able to sit in a virtual living room and see your friend’s avatar? Business meetings? Virtual cinemas where you feel like you’re actually watching the movie with your friend who is seven time zones away?"

FB becoming a titan in the game industry? Producer wise? Oc got that Financial injection and backing it needed now and can florish...

or is the oculus Rift doomed? Notch, the minecraft guy(who contributed heavily at the kickstarter project) already backed down now that FB took over...the oc might become some social network Lame azz platform...

I dont know man, my eyes are on Sonys project morpheus now...

either way it seems like Facebook just entered the gamebizz forreal forreal and the oculus Rift will go mainstream.

just remains to be seen if we getting casual or ? games lol

whats your view on this vato?

Comments

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Alkinduz
    Yeah its ? up lol
  • Alkinduz
    Ms or even Apple, but Facebook?
  • Karl.
    Minecraft on oculus cancelled because Facebook creeps developer out.

http://youtu.be/WvzlTkf-6Ks
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like one of those rich boy impulsive moments to me. They most definitely have the financial backing to do something with the OR, but I don't see where they have the expertise to really make the most of it.
  • Alkinduz
    Mark: “Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face — just by putting on goggles in your home. This is really a new communication platform. By feeling truly present, you can share unbounded spaces and experiences with the people in your life. Imagine sharing not just moments with your friends online, but entire experiences and adventures.”

Marcus Persson: "Don’t get me wrong, VR is not bad for social. In fact, I think social could become one of the biggest applications of VR. Being able to sit in a virtual living room and see your friend’s avatar? Business meetings? Virtual cinemas where you feel like you’re actually watching the movie with your friend who is seven time zones away?"
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well this is good for Sony actually. Sony has also taken the stance that VR will be useful for more than just gaming, but at this point gaming is still their primary focus. Seems like Facebook is planning on focusing their usage of the tech for something completely different.

I'm not really sure how they plan on doing what they are suggesting though. It doesn't seem like they really understand how the ? works. I mean the classroom idea could work if universities chose to set it up like that, but the issue here is that nothing Mark said can be accomplished with just the OR. You have to have some kind of special 3D camera setup to map whatever area you were trying to use which would mean Facebook would have to make partnerships with the NBA or NCAA or whatever group they were trying to get involved. That could take quite a while.

What I think is more likely on the social front is having virtual chatrooms something like what they had in Ghost in the Shell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poKi7YyuamI
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asking anonymous people for $2.5 million for your project to later sell it for $2 billion - ladies and gentlemen of the IC, that is how you hustle.
  • Karl.
    Asking anonymous people for $2.5 million for your project to later sell it for $2 billion - ladies and gentlemen of the IC, that is how you hustle.

They should reimburse those who donated with a bonus.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Karl. wrote: »

Morally that would be the Christian thing to do, but really they're not entitled to anything except the incentive each kickstarter backer agreed to. That's the difference between merely backing a project and actually investing in a project. If I was a backer I'd be feeling raw about the deal, if I was Mr Oculus Rift I wouldn't give them an extra penny.
  • Karl.
    Karl. wrote: »

Morally that would be the Christian thing to do, but really they're not entitled to anything except the incentive each kickstarter backer agreed to. That's the difference between merely backing a project and actually investing in a project. If I was a backer I'd be feeling raw about the deal, if I was Mr Oculus Rift I wouldn't give them an extra penny.

Yea I agree. That why I wouldn't back a project like this. I'd probably back a company making a game that I'd get a copy of once it was complete.

? backing a company asking for 2.5mil though. They took their money and flipped it. Now they're living in paradise while the backers have nothing to look forward to. Ether.