If every minority group joined forces, what could that mean for America?

Options

Comments

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »
    What exactly would joining forces do? Just having greater numbers doesn't mean that positive changes will be made

there is power in numbers... this is conventional wisdom.
    more so than numbers, organization and concentrated effort is also powerful.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Without organization and focus I would argue numbers are really of little value.

But considering who owns most of the tools and institutions it would be really one sided resource wise.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    I agree, raw numbers don't mean as much if there is no organization.
    ownership is a mirage...
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I bet no one can provide evidence of this "mostly white" latino population here in the states.
    before u try, speaking spanish does not change the color of your skin...

2010 U.S. Census
    Page 5-6

Over half self-identified as white.

• LUClEN
    Options
    That's only what's on the books. Self identification is flawed too.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    I bet no one can provide evidence of this "mostly white" latino population here in the states.

2010 U.S. Census
    Page 5-6

u know who else "self-identifies" as white? Persians, Indians, and many other dark-skinned ppl...
  • jono
    Options
    jono wrote: »

2010 U.S. Census
    Page 5-6

u know who else "self-identifies" as white? Persians, Indians, and many other dark-skinned ppl...

Not all Latinos are dark skinned though.

Indians, Persians and Arabs are usually lost in the shuffle as they have no other option. They aren't represented ethnically or racially in the census. Latinos have more options and they can mix race and ethnicity. There really isn't a reason to choose white if they aren't white.

Correction: Indians could choose Asian.

• jono
    Options
    I guess some Arabs & Persians can claim Asian as well...that is interesting.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    now we get to dark vs lightskin...
    how light is white?
    self-identifying is horseshit....
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The difference between Latino and Hispanic:

Latino generally refers to countries (or cultures) that were once under Roman rule. This includes Italy, France, Spain, etc. Brazilians are considered to be Latino, but are not considered to be Hispanic.
    Hispanic describes cultures or countries that were once under Spanish rule (Mexico, Central America, and most South America where Spanish is the primary language).

In American-English, Latino has come to be equated with Hispanic and are often used interchangeably without offense despite identifying two different origins, but neither term should be used to describe a race. Additionally:

Latino: When referring to gender neutral, identifying both men and women, use Latino.
    Latina: When specifically referring to women, use Latina.

Copy and Paste from some website. I know nothing of the culture, so y'alls guess is as good as mine. All I know is that you don't identify a Honduran or Nicaraguan or Guatemalan as a Mexican. They get offended bout that ? . I had a buddy from Cali, ex-Suerno gang member or something, and he referred to himself as Chicano. Which I thought was derogatory. ? confusing, I just learn they names and leave it at that.
  • jono
    Options
    I don't know. Self identification is the only way to go for now I guess. Like Mexicans and other Hispanics, Italians and Spaniards also run the gamut when it comes to skin color but it's pretty well accepted that they are white.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    darkskinned ppl are not accepted as white except on paperwork...
  • LUClEN
    Options
    With exception of Sammy Sosa

• Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WRONG!!!PEOPEL FROM SPAIN HAVE AFRICAN BLOOD THROUGH THE MOORS OCUPATION FROM 711-1200+.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    WRONG!!!PEOPEL FROM SPAIN HAVE AFRICAN BLOOD THROUGH THE MOORS OCUPATION FROM 711-1200+.

Only a portion of them, and the fact that there has been a primarily white population there ever since needs to be taken into consideration. Whatever Moorish roots these Spaniards have are diluted quite a bit.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    What could [white]America really do? Other than become a full on fascist dictatorship?
  • High Revolutionary
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Me and a homie used to talk about this though. He theorized if whites started taking too many L's they would just hit that red button and nuke everything.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nignogs always wanna be "friends" with every body BUT each other.

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a person who worked that Census ? ., many latinos had no idea what to choose when asked about race. Some put latino in fill in option
  • High Revolutionary
    Options
    Y'all saying everything but answering the question tho.
  • kontakz.
    kontakz. Members Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    Options
    1, it'll never happen messicans think theyre better than black and other spanish speaking ppl think theyre better than messicans.

to answer the thread, you'd see a wider display of ethnicities on television and in politics
    these two things alone over the course of decades would make those groups "mainstream" in the world
    and give other nations more options to emulate. Finally America would turn brown quick as hell
  • High Revolutionary
    Options
    Ultimately it's about power. If we had all of it (or actually lived up to our potential) these other minorities would sing a different tune.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    race/ethnicity/color is too complicated for this to happen
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why, tho? Many ethnic groups go through racism just as much as black people. Imagine if they all collectively said ? it, and just united like Voltron one day. Think anything could stop it?
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wishful thinking because them other groups think they're white...

This...especially Asians