Panspermia. Are we the aliens far from home??

Options
Noble Al Lee
Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in The Social Lounge
The more I read about and entertain this theory the more plausible it seems.

Example--

We sent a rover to mars. That rover probably carried bacteria from our planet to mars. Be it by fingerprints or someone sneezing or coughing on it etc etc.

Fast forward a few million years and these bacteria have survived and thrived. From single celled to multi celled organisms. Then evolving limbs and brains for abstract thought. Eventually what you have are prehistoric martians using crude tools attempting to terra form the world around them. Then after much evolution, once mars sports major metropolitan cities and have science and media and everything that makes modern "modern", they question their origins. They begin looking off to their desolate sister planet earth and realize it may have supported life at a time millions of years before mars had life. Crazy right? Or is it?

Flip that and you have the discussion of panspermia which is gaining more and more traction today. life on earth literally coming from extraterrestrials. Not E.T and Alf, but bacteria that hitched a ride on an asteroid on a collision course with earth. An asteroid that could have come from deep space, from a star system we don't know exists. Our very DNA could literally be foreign to this planet. Which could explain why our DNA is only like 1% different from other primates yet we are vastly different from anything else.

Am I crazy for leaning towards this as a credible story? Slightly crazy? Not crazy at all? Should I take my ass back to bed?

Discuss

Comments

• HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you holdin it in too long bruh

inhale, then slowly exhale....taking a few breaths between puffs can help too
  • Noble Al Lee
    Options
    Lmao. Free yo mind cuh. Free yo mind
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im pretty open minded....and have some non traditional beliefs....but this aint one of em lol

it made me think tho....who knows *shrugs*
  • Noble Al Lee
    Options
    I hear you bruh. Im not necessarily "onboard" either but I think its an interesting "what if" scenario. Pseudoscience is a helluva drug
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Weather they would develop the same level of consciousness is a guess but it's an actual science when it comes to the possibility of bacteria living on mars.

Earth Bacteria Can Survive And Grow In Extremely Hostile, Mars-Like Conditions

Two new experiments show how easy it would be to infect Mars with alien microbes.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-01/earth-bacteria-can-survive-and-grow-extremely-hostile-mars-conditions

Edit: SMH i didn't read the title. Thought this was about bacteria growing on Mars. We from here my ? .
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Who knows man, Earth seems pretty hostile to humans on the regular, look at all the germs and other BS Earth keeps throwing our way. Maybe Earth looks at us as an invading species and wants us all taken out? Who knows, but it does seem like Earth treats us like an outsider a lot of days so you very well could be right. It's also amazing how vastly different humans are from every organism in the world, I'd like to see more research on the subject
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not too hard to believe. Think about everything that humans are capable of that no other life form on the planet can do. Most other animals are just tryna survive and reproduce while we're over here makin music and art and ? . Not to mention nuclear weapons and all the other ? that we do. Humans are so much more complex then other animals that somethings gotta be up.
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't agree with men evolving from single cell organisms but this thread reminds of Soil Ecologists and how there will never be enough people to become Soil Ecologists because there are literally millions of micoorganisms under the soil. And because there are so many most of these microorganisms will remain unknown and unclassified. Seems like a good field to get into job wise. I will have to research it some more.
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Look at it like this. Life is a code. You need certain criteria and certain conditions to sustain it, water sun, etc... The amount of time it would take for an organism to evolve into something else is drastically understated. A few million years is not going to create a sentient being such as a human imo... Our DNA which seems cemented is actually changing. When you look at genes they are not the same as far as expression when you look at fossils from long ago. What causes these changes or mutations is under rigorous study and only known by researchers of the elite. We humans actually have the knowledge of gene manipulation as seen in our foods. With our basic knowledge who is to say there is not an advanced civilization somewhere sending out gene manipulated bacteria throughout space. Its not far fetched but lets not forget how big space is. The creator most likely will never see the product.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Theirs life on mars already.
    The thing is , "they" found life, but didn't like what "they" saw.
    So all they showing the public, is some ? .
  • REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think 50% of the IC is aliens and the other 50% alien chasing conspiracy theorists.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You're not 'crazy' because this is one of many proposed ideas.

We will never answer how life came about at this point in time.

The answers are still years away.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is an idea I've subscribed to for a minute. Dope thread.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not impossible but improbable...

This is one of those things that I don't think we need to know in order to evolve...

Plus let's say it is true, man will then try to go for the source and I have seen Prometheus so I know it does not end well...
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

From what NASA says, all that's on Mars is alien worms who are tiny as hell. What do you think they found on Mars?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

From what NASA says, all that's on Mars is alien worms who are tiny as hell. What do you think they found on Mars?

goa'uld
    goa__uld_symbiote_by_specs2.jpg
  • kingblaze84
    Options
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited April 2014
    Options
    WTF is that??

Evil space worm that takes over minds.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    WTF is that??

Evil space worm that takes over minds.

Ok I'm assuming I don't have to worry about this worm. I'm further assuming it's something from a comic book or video game
  • indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it's easily debunked because there are microbes coming into the Earth's atmosphere from space all the time. if we evolved from microbes I would think that there would be hybrids in different stages of becoming human walking around somewhere. And there are like millions of microbes underneath the soil. human feces contain trillions of microbes.
    http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/4073/20130920/alien-microbes-found-floating-stratosphere.htm

Alien Microbes' found Floating in the Stratosphere

The "alien microbes" were found on a specially designed balloon that was sent 27 km or 16 miles into the stratosphere during the recent Perseid meteor shower.
    "Most people will assume that these biological particles must have just drifted up to the stratosphere from Earth, but it is generally accepted that a particle of the size found cannot be lifted from Earth to heights of, for example, 27 km. The only known exception is by a violent volcanic eruption, none of which occurred within three years of the sampling trip," Wainwright said.
    And since there are no other events explaining the presence of microbes out in space, researchers believe that these microbes could be the proof that life exists elsewhere.