Was I wrong for shattering my Pops dream on his 66th Bday…..

Options
MzKB
MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
I planned a surprise Bday Dinner for my Pops…..
And my Mom took all the credit.

A little bit of a long read!!!

My Mom calls me about a week before my Dads birthday and says…..What are YOU doing for your fathers birthday? (Strike One) So I told her let's do a surprise dinner for him. So I do all the planning and give her the information of how I want things set up. I make the reservations and the only thing she does is call some of their friends and invite them.

Two days before the surprise she calls me to ask if I'm buying the cake. (Strike Two) And I'm like why can't you do it? She starts making all types of excuses in regards to time and money. (I'm thinking to myself this is your husband the least you could do is buy the mans cake!!) So I'm just like ok ok no cake then just to hear what she says!! She just says ok. (Strike Three) So I tell her I'll see if I can get it.

So she hits me the day of and was like I ordered the cake but I can't pick it up because I don't want your father to know what's going on. (Mind you I live 2.5 hours away). So I'm like cool, I'll pick it up when I get in town. So I asked her if she paid for it and what's the ticket number. She was like I didn't pay for it, when you go there just tell them his name. So I'm SMH! (Strike Four)

When I get in town I pick up the cake go to the restaurant and I set up the balloons and make sure everything is good. When they arrive my father is elated!!! He was genuinely surprised!! So then Mom starts her speech on how she put everything together and how much work it was. (Strike Five) My husband and I are looking at her like for real! Not once did she mention "WE". It was all her.

What hurt the most was that my mother and father have been married well over 35 years and my father said that this was his very first time having a surprise on his birthday since he's lived in America! Pops has been in the states for more than 45 years. That hurt me because he was so proud that my mom "did" this for him. The whole time my Mom is not even paying my Dad any attention. She's so busy making sure the guest are at awwweeee of what she did for her husband she basically neglects him.

EVERYBODY that came gave my father a gift except his wife.

When my Mom went to ? guest out the restaurant I ended up telling my Dad that I was the one who planned everything. He was disappointed!

Was I wrong for shattering my Dads dream?

Tell a situation where you did something and someone else took credit and it ? you off!

I put together a surprise birthday dinner for my Pops 66th Bday….. 53 votes

Yes
41%
damnkpKaimiamivice305MsSouthernzombieobnoxiouslyfreshdallas' 4 evaNothingButTheTruthWhoisDonG???T. Sanford_Goldie_ParallelbignormTHIRDSUPREMELUClENAZTGMARIO_DROYoung StefBrideofKillaKingFreeman 22 votes
No
58%
OhMarsdwade206black caesarnillerthekidsr_the_freshmanvagrant-718CopperkzzlArya Tsaddiqdamobb2deepriddlerapunspoken_respectGlockLesnar Max.BodhiAjackson17Like Water7figzDarkRaidenBuilt 4 cuban linx 31 votes

Comments

• MzKB
    Options
    No
    good answer!
  • MzKB
    Options
    No
    i feel you copper
  • MzKB
    Options
    No
    Dr.Evil wrote: »
    Yea you were wrong for pulling him aside and telling him, you shouldve said it infront of everybody.

"You mean WE set it up"

I didn't want to embarrass her.
  • MzKB
    Options
    No
    I VOTED YES CAUSE u WAS WRONG FOR TELLIN YO POPS.. LET HIM HAVE THAT JOY.. BUT U SHOULDA PULLED YO MAMA 2 THE SIDE AND LET HER HAVE IT

But my Pops is my best friend and I felt it was foul of my Mom!!
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    MzKB wrote: »
    Yea you were wrong for pulling him aside and telling him, you shouldve said it infront of everybody.

"You mean WE set it up"

But you aint mind crushing pops spirit?
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No

"You mean WE set it up"

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Yes
    I dont see how sayin "we" would embarrass her. If you were to say "I did all the work" then thats different.
  • MzKB
    Options
    No
    Copper wrote: »
    Yo moms ain't ? ...you better get a DNA test you might not be his
    And yeah you ? up for shattering his dreams

And ain't no strike 4 and 5 in baseball... smh females

So we playing ball now?
  • MzKB
    Options
    No
    Copper wrote: »

"You mean WE set it up"

My Pops and I are super close. He confides in me and I confide in him…..so I wanted to keep the embarrassment between my Dad, husband, and myself!
  • MzKB
    Options
    No
    I dont see how sayin "we" would embarrass her. If you were to say "I did all the work" then thats different.

If you knew the type of person my Mom is then you would understand.
  • _Goldie_
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Yes
    Speaking up and sayin "we", wouldnt have crushed him. Nothing wrong with getting your daughter to help put together a party. But pulling him to the side and telling him his wife lied is ? up.
  • MzKB
    Options
    No
    Speaking up and sayin "we", wouldnt have crushed him. Nothing wrong with getting your daughter to help put together a party. But pulling him to the side and telling him his wife lied is ? up.

So it's cool that my Mom lied and I'm wrong for telling the truth? Oh ok
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Ya' pops shouldn't be disappointed (with you anyway).

It's better that he know the truth.

Ya' moms foul BTW.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    That would have ? me off too but I think you should have let it go and made it a point to establish up front what your role is on his next birthday.
  • MzKB
    Options
    No
    7figz wrote: »
    Ya' pops shouldn't be disappointed (with you anyway).

It's better that he know the truth.

Ya' moms foul BTW.

That's the thing…My Pops knows my Mom is selfish. So it was a shock to him that she even would fathom doing something like this.

He was more shocked at the fact that he actually thought she did this herself!
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    Yes

So it's cool that my Mom lied and I'm wrong for telling the truth? Oh ok

I said you shouldve spoke up right when she said that, and said " you mean we" , that wouldve been that. Now there's a lie floating around, and you know he's gonna bring it up to her. So either way you gonna have to hear her mouth. Best thing to do is always keep things in the open.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    You weren't technically wrong for being upset. But maybe the truth could have come out differently. @INCREDIBLE_DRO‌ hit it on the head. It was his birthday and maybe you should have just left it up to moms to tell the truth. I would have talked to her and told her how it made u feel. If she understood ur issue, she may have been willing to tell him the truth in private.

Matthew 18:15-17 - Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother

Colossians 3:13 - Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also [do] ye.
  • MzKB
    Options
    No
    That would have ? me off too but I think you should have let it go and made it a point to establish up front what your role is on his next birthday.

Ain't gone be no next b-day with her and I!