I have a problem with the movie American Gangster (2007)

Options
Da Homey Six Deuce
Da Homey Six Deuce Members Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason I have a problem with it and NEVER watched it again after the first time I saw it is this:

americangangsterpic.jpg

How come RR is going after Lucas with such vigor, but has a childhood friend that has mob connections and he turns a blind eye. I believe the guy was even his sons'godfather

Although the real RR said that his role was exaggerated, it ruined the movie for me ever since..

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    His partner OD on Lucad product B.
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didnt think this movie was good at all.
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I prefer New Jack City
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Movie was type trash
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only thing I really liked about this movie is the cat and mouse element of it. You don't see Russel or Denzel together in a scene until the end of the movie
  • gem$tone
    gem$tone Members Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The whole law enforcement side of the story ruined it for me. I though it would go down as a classic the likes of scarface and/or goodfellas. Like a black version to those. The element of the law should've been very little and only shown to illustrate how he was flying under the radar until either the fight or the traffic stop exposure. Like scarface only face that element laundering money and Henry from goodfellas only faced it after the wire taps and drug mishaps.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Movie was boring as hell
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Movie was super boring
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Movie so boring I can't even remember like a scene that was real memorable. All I remember was t.I bad acting and that mink coat. Seeing Russell Crowe in this thread made me remember he was in the movie.

Would rather watch Brooklyn's finest
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can not compare the movie to New Jack city. AG did not benefit from being released in that creative era. The times have changed which effect the way AG was created. I appreciate the movie because of the time period the events happened in. The movie is dry from an entertainment standpoint, but the story is interesting to me especially since Frank had so much impact on the ? era.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gem$tone wrote: »
    The whole law enforcement side of the story ruined it for me. I though it would go down as a classic the likes of scarface and/or goodfellas. Like a black version to those. The element of the law should've been very little and only shown to illustrate how he was flying under the radar until either the fight or the traffic stop exposure. Like scarface only face that element laundering money and Henry from goodfellas only faced it after the wire taps and drug mishaps.
    Those movies are fiction with little to no connection to actual people. AG is a complete biopic. It was never meant to be anything like those movies. The law enforcement is necessary to build the case and show how Frank got knocked.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought it was a good movie...better than some of Ridley Scott's last movies have been...
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn I thought it was a good movie.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall was ? riding it when it came out
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I burst out laughing during the opening scene and that Old man is standing in front of Mac D and is like "nothing is personal anymore" and then dies all dramatic lmao
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Because his name was Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

are-you-not-entertained.gif
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it wasn't that bad

ac38s8.jpg

^^ ? shot Stringer Bell in broad daylight

dont even remember this lol
  • gem$tone
    gem$tone Members Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gem$tone wrote: »
    Those movies are fiction with little to no connection to actual people. AG is a complete biopic. It was never meant to be anything like those movies. The law enforcement is necessary to build the case and show how Frank got knocked.

I can see you saying that about scarface, but goodfellas was based off a book from Henry Hill about his life before he turned to escape prison if I'm not mistaken. And they didn't need to show marital problems that cop was having in order to illustrate case building. 3/4 of that cop's story being on screen could have scrapped. Other than him doing surveillance at the fight and seeing Frank with better seats than mob figures as well as other little tidbits that put Frank on the radar, there was no reason for him having screen time other than to ruin that movie.

Also, like scarface, it was extremely exaggerated. He was no second in command to bumpy as well as other things that are there simply to spruce up his story.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good movie

Watched it a couple weeks ago
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It Was A Well Acted Well Shot Film....Ridley Scott Pulled Off That 1970's NYC Off Perfectly....But There Was Just Something Missing...An X Factor If You Will From Making It A Bonafide Classic.....

American Gangster>>>>American Hustle IMO
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Movie so boring I can't even remember like a scene that was real memorable. All I remember was t.I bad acting and that mink coat. Seeing Russell Crowe in this thread made me remember he was in the movie.

Would rather watch Brooklyn's finest

Yeah Brooklyn's Finest was a real good movie, I found it on Netflix a couple years ago and I loved it
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options