Black DC Student With 4.3 GPA Accepted Into 5 Ivy League Schools

Options

Comments

• Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm saying tho...
    this is good PR... I prefer this type of publicity to the Chicago ? .
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This really got an article.....
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deja vu. I said it before, i dont like 'look, a black kid is smart!' threads

Might as well tell him he speaks so well.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Wish I worked harder in school. Looking back I just did enough to get by smh.
    there is still time

There are 50-60 year olds taking college classes

• Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »

co-sign this ? to the fullest.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Isn't Benjamin Banneker a already a template for good schools? I know the one in Brooklyn is. Benjamin Banneker was a goat in many fields during slave times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Banneker
    Benjamin Banneker (November 9, 1731 – October 9, 1806) was a free African American scientist, surveyor, almanac author and farmer. Born in Baltimore County, Maryland, to a free African American woman and a former slave, Banneker had little formal education and was largely self-taught. He is known for being part of a group led by Major Andrew Ellicott that surveyed the borders of the original District of Columbia, the federal capital district of the United States.

Banneker's knowledge of astronomy helped him author a commercially successful series of almanacs. He corresponded with Thomas Jefferson, drafter of the United States Declaration of Independence, on the topics of slavery and racial equality. Abolitionists and advocates of racial equality promoted and praised his works.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    Elrawd wrote: »
    How do you get better than perfect?

It's known as a "weighted average"

Regular courses are weighted on the traditional 4.0 scale
    IB courses (like he took) are weighted on a 5.0 scale
    AP courses (college cred) are weighted on a 6.0 scale

Example:

If you were in regular Calculus and got a B you would receive a weighted grade of 3.0 for it
    If you were in IB Calculus and got an B you would receive a weighted grade of 4.0 for it
    If you were in AP Calculus and got an B you would received a weighted grade of 5.0 for it

Essentially as you go up in difficulty of the class (Reg -> IB -> AP) it adds a grade point in the weighted scale.

Outside of the weighted scale though nothing changes...if you took that AP Calc class and got a B your weighted GPA would be a 5.0 but your regular GPA would still be a 3.0.

Ay! Somebody ? me over
    I think. I took all AP classes my junior and senior years.
    I should've graduated with a 5.0 or some ? but instead I got a 3.5
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Sorry but this happens enough that it shouldnt exactly be news. You all dont see how sad it is that a black kid making it into the Ivy leagues is somehow cause for celebration?

I dunno. I just see it differently.

• Meta_Conscious
    Options
    they believe your race to be criminals... its at the point where they teaching graduate classes about how its in your genes to be criminals...
    how do u guys think this can be reversed if u don't like this type of publicity?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Sorry but this happens enough that it shouldnt exactly be news. You all dont see how sad it is that a black kid making it into the Ivy leagues is somehow cause for celebration?

I dunno. I just see it differently.
    they believe your race to be criminals... its at the point where they teaching graduate classes about how its in your genes to be criminals...
    how do u guys think this can be reversed if u don't like this type of publicity?

i see both sides...

it's great to see that type of accomplishment, and it should be celebrated......

but the over hyping of it like we trying to prove something to white america like they somehow shocked and in disbelief that ? can be this smart is not whassup...

either way, shorty winning regardless, and for that he deserves his props
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    your reputation is everything.
    cats underestimate this ? .
    the higher up the chain i go, the more i see how the perception of blacks is being used to justify continued injustice.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    black excellence!
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Damn you're a buzz-? , I feel sorry for the celebration you show up to

Nah, just realistic. The world needs people like me to tell these young kids the truth, instead of buttering them up for not even finishing the race.

Well the truth he needs to be told in this instance is getting accepted into an Ivy League school is a good accomplishment and will set him up to be better off than some others once he's done. The truth doesn't always have to be used to try to bring someone down
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn a ? beat me to it...black laziness
  • S2J
    Options
    the higher up the chain i go, the more i see how the perception of blacks is being used to justify continued injustice.

That has diddly poo to do with this story. But to your other point about us 'needing to celebrate this to offset Chicago' (lls):

1) White people arent going to see this and say 'oh ? , let me change my view!'

But more importantly,

2) ? white people. I couldnt even imagine living my life on some 'we gots ta make deez white folk proud of us. Look at us ? we did it! We's readin!'

FOH

Its sad enough you morons are wondering how a 4.3 is possible. Lol smh

This ? is pathetic, the reaction that is. Bunch of nggas wide eyed n ? like its impossible for black kids to get into ivy league schools. And dont tell me u just happy for the lil ngga (I am!). Yall happy we got somethin to show ?

168u803.gif
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    sigh.
    how are other groups perceived? how does that effect their life chances?
    while folks attack conventional wisdom and miss out on important points, the world moves forward.
    ? really want to make arguments against good PR? ? really want to make arguments against improving the perception of blacks?

u know why Asian aren't treated the same way that other minorities are treated by the CJ system? because they are perceived differently... not because they are "liked"...
    i dont understand how a black man can be against their own interests.
  • gem$tone
    gem$tone Members Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Am I mistaken or is there only 439 students for the whole school?
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its a good story can we be happy for the young man song something constructive instead of falling to streets just so he can be perceived as a "real ? ".
  • S2J
    edited March 2014
    Options
    sigh.
    how are other groups perceived? how does that effect their life chances?
    while folks attack conventional wisdom and miss out on important points, the world moves forward.
    ? really want to make arguments against good PR? ? really want to make arguments against improving the perception of blacks?
    u know why Asian aren't treated the same way that other minorities are treated by the CJ system? because they are perceived differently... not because they are "liked"...
    i dont understand how a black man can be against their own interests.

Break your damn question mark key bruh.

But my problem is not the story. The story itself is a local news story, which is fair game. I'd assume there's 100s of local news stories like this all over the country, many of which black.

My problem is with the reaction from US, on some 'damn, how he do that?!' Imagine if this was 'breaking news' on CNN, that a black child got a 4.3 and accepted to an Ivy league school. By your logic, Great! Good PR!...In actuality,thats patronizing af.

Perhaps the problem is yall really dont know how common gpa's above 4.0 are

Perhaps yall dont know how 'black' ivy league schools are becoming. A quick Google search will show that of the 2,029 students admitted to Harvard in 2013, 11.5% were black. Thats 233 kids. http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2013/03/college-admits-2029-5-8-percent-of-applicants/

This is not exactly a rare event. *shrug*. How bout we act like we been there b4.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Some of y'all ? make no sense. Complain all day about negative and degrading images of black people especially black youth.Thread about a high school kid getting college scholarships "he ain't do ? special. What the ? he got to be proud about".
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's only a win if whites don't get to him and gets ? on when he's in a position to fight the injustice of what white America is doing to blacks.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Some of y'all ? make no sense. Complain all day about negative and degrading images of black people especially black youth.Thread about a high school kid getting college scholarships "he ain't do ? special. What the ? he got to be proud about".

I'm saying....
    my point is that this should be celebrated in a non-condescending manner. stories like these should be dominant because they outnumber the bad. if ? don't get that, they lost.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Came in to quote this

"Coffey attends Benjamin Banneker Academic High School, a D.C. public school with strict rules. None of the 439 students at Banneker is allowed to bring a cell phone into the building. They are also not allowed to go to their lockers during the school day. (That has spawned the peculiar tradition of piling up textbooks at the base of lockers, so kids can switch books between classes without violating the locker rule.)"

Let's play copy cat America.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That has diddly poo to do with this story. But to your other point about us 'needing to celebrate this to offset Chicago' (lls):

1) White people arent going to see this and say 'oh ? , let me change my view!'

But more importantly,

2) ? white people. I couldnt even imagine living my life on some 'we gots ta make deez white folk proud of us. Look at us ? we did it! We's readin!'

FOH

Its sad enough you morons are wondering how a 4.3 is possible. Lol smh

This ? is pathetic, the reaction that is. Bunch of nggas wide eyed n ? like its impossible for black kids to get into ivy league schools. And dont tell me u just happy for the lil ngga (I am!). Yall happy we got somethin to show ?

168u803.gif

Smh

This is a good look bruh

Against enormous odds a boy raised by a single mother in chicago has been accepted into 5 ivy league schools... 5 ivy league schools...an accomplishment most kids white, blk, asian could only dream of

And not only that, in the words of malcom x, the media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent appear guilty. They have the power to change, corrupt minds

This one story isnt going to necessarily change minds but with time more and more stories like these will do a lot to reverse the public perception that blks are lazy, violent, oversexed animals ...its simple as that

Why are u even in this thread anyways if you feel that this is essentially a non story...do your "? " shaming somewhere else

• S2J
    edited March 2014
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

I'm saying....
    my point is that this should be celebrated in a non-condescending manner. stories like these should be dominant because they outnumber the bad. if ? don't get that, they lost.

Nah, if you dont understand how the utter shock for this story shines light on the low expectations WE have for ourselves, you're lost. But i will let yall have at it.