Wiz Khalifa is mediocre

Knives Amilli
Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
Scouring instagram, mistercaps (wiz's ig handle) photos pop up on my feed. Typical Wiz ? : Backstage/stuido shots. Group photos with assorted rappers. Selfies in the latest trendy leather faux punk rock fashion trends. Weed.

But what even caught my attention even more was the amount of followers and following as a whole Wiz garners. As of today, March 31, 2014: 3 million followers.

Now ask yourself this question: what has Wiz Khalifa done to be such a hot commodity? Ever?

Viewing his career in an ultra critical retrospect, I can safely say that Wiz Khalifa has never been nice.

Entertaining? Extremely. Catchy? By far. But has he ever been a name that deserves your critical praise and respect?

Oh, heavens no.

Even during the few years leading up to the release of "Rolling Papers" when Wiz released in succession what many consider his best projects (Star Power, Burn After Rolling, How Fly, Kush and OJ), he has always occupied the space as more of a trendy icon than a talented rapper. A spokesperson for the stoner kid who shops at Pac Sun, loves White Castle and can quote Cheech and Chong religiously.

In fact in a lot of ways, you could argue that Wiz inspired this current crop of Post Internet Rappers: guys who are more about being stylistic tumblr spokespeople than legitimately ill MC's. Im talking guys like ASAP Rocky, Tyga, Trinidad James, etc.

But to really assess his music, Wiz's material has always been about the same damn 3 topics (weed, women, money) with the same damn monotone ass flow.

And 5 years after his breakthrough peak, he shows no signs at all of improvement on any level.

Which works for some guys, mind you. His pal and one of my favorite rappers, Currensy will never stop rapping about weed, cars, and shoes. I have accepted this. I will never argue anybody saying Currensy is one dimensional.

But Currensy also isn't considered a premier act under 30. Currensy has only had about half of the success and popularity of Wiz, and that may even be an overestimate. And Currensy is nearly twice the rapper Wiz is.

Wiz, may, JUST MAY redeem himself with Blacc Hollywood. If "We Dem Boyz" is a sign of things to come, probably not, but hey crazier things have happened.

Comments