NBA Draft Rule: One and Done - Debate

MarcusGarvey
MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
Larry Scott Pac-12 Commissioner
"Our feeling is that the one-and-done phenomenon is very detrimental to the essential academic mission of our universities," Scott said. "The phenomenon is short changing the vast majority of our student-athletes who receive scholarships to Pac-12 universities as a huge transformative opportunity in their life."

Charles Barkley
“The draft is designed for bad teams to get better, not to draft somebody who might be good in five years…Look at the NBA. We have a lot of bad teams, a lot of bad teams. They’re supposed to get someone who can help them, not a project. And that’s why the NBA sucks right now.”

Disclaimer: This isn't a knock at the commission Adam Silver or what he inherited from Stern. He's the boss and with the players they can legislate the minimum labor requirement.These are my feelings on the media and the idiots who criticize 19-20 yr olds for doing something they themselves would overwhelmingly do.

My thoughts:
We live in a society that preaches personal responsibility for adults. Whether we like it, these youtes should be treated like men, if they impregnated a bish he'd be required to pay child support. If one of them shot one of the Migos it'd be "dey dey go!"

Why save teams or players from making mistakes? Forget the NCAA is ? these kids at major conferences, amateurism is a sham. Deadspin says Aaron Harrisons shot made the coaching staff 329k.

http://deadspin.com/aaron-harrisons-game-winner-made-329-166-for-his-coac-1555196820

Some would argue that teams have to babysit players for the first few years of their contract and that the league is worse off because a lot of players can't contribute and aren't ready. The real reason that the league is bad outside of maybe 12 watchable teams is because there are too many teams. The talent pool is diluted. Contract 2 teams, you want names? Charlotte, Milwaukee gone. Move Sacramento to Seattle.

If GMs and players fail so be it. If Telfair can't handle the what 15-20million he's made playing in the NBA then it's his fault why try to save him? If Telfair wants to go to school after he washes out in Europe or wherever is he is, it's on him.

Add on, tell me where I'm wrong..

Comments

• BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always been a fan of baseball's rules. If they want to decide to go straight from HS they should be allowed to. As I look at it as going straight into the work force. The charade of going to school for basically a semester and half then to the league is phony IMO.

But if they do decide to go to school there should be minimal amount of time that they have to stay. Even if the NBA doesn't want to do the 3 year rule like baseball they should be able to at least 2 yrs.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think they should go 2 years, too many players come out after 1 year and end up looking exposed and not ready, one more year might not help some but it'll help a lot i think, plus itll help these cats mature, and focus on more classes and like parallel said, maybe get an associates, might help these nba teams make better decisions
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just think 3 years out of High school is the way to go. It gives balance back to college and the league. You can expand the draft to 3 rounds. If you don't want to go to school you have go to the d league for those 3 years to develop and learn the game. 21 age limit or 3 years remove from Highschool. 2 avenues to develop.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    I feel like eventually the NBA GM's are going to tire of drafting the 1 and done players who take too long to pan out as even decent players let alone franchise changers. This by default will force players to stay in college longer because the idea of the hot shot freshman who could have gone from senior yr in HS to being a pro won't be as attractive
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol at getting better by playing inferior players.

You get better by playing better comp and have better coaching.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be 3 years. These dudes need an education there's a reason most of them go broke after they're done bc they have no education.
  • MarcusGarvey
    edited April 2014
    @WhoisDonG???‌ There isnt enough talent for 3 rounds
    @eyes low‌ Education is a personal pursuit, if someone doesn't want it they wont take advantage of it. Nothing is stopping players from taking 1 online class a semester. They have access to agents, lawyers that can put them in contact with GSachs or JP Morgan Private Banking that provide personal wealth management tutoring to high net worth clients.

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    lol at getting better by playing inferior players.

You get better by playing better comp and have better coaching.

Theres players getting to the league and then developing basic skills like shooting the ball. Lance Stephenson admitted in an ESPN.com article I read the other day he aint even know how to play defense til 3 years in the league. That's part of why the game on both the NCAA and NBA looks so bad at times. These players getting drafted on athletecism not skill. That's why some look so ? offensively and defensively when they hit the NBA. It's not that they're no longer the biggest or fastest. Its also because they can't do basic ? .
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you should be at least 20 to play in nba, this could open up d league/some sort of farming system to cultivate better players
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be at least 2 yrs. Gives these guys a chance to mature a little more mentally and physically while improving their skills. Gives NBA scouts and GMs more time to make the right decisions and take more educated risks. Immediately raises the level of play in NCAA. The NBA talent pool will gradually become more deep. And it makes 2nd round picks more valuable and important.

Or make a legitimate farm team system and say ? the NCAA all the together cause they don't give a ? about these kids at all.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the idea that players "need" and education though college is ? . plenty of cats go 4 years get in the league and still go broke. likewise does anyone say that about hockey players who can play in the nhl at 18? Does anyone say baseball players need to go to school?

Most of these cats in power roles of the NCAA and the NBA and the colleges are conservative. They believe in free markets and tax breaks and less regulation. But when it comes to an 18 year black male they claim they need to go to a college so they can make money off them can get an education.

Now i think hella cats leave college way too early and don't really improve at college when they should be taking it more seriously to raise their game. But at the same time we shouldn't knock that. Let them go they will learn and hopefully take it more seriously in the nba/europe/d-leauge.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    allow them to go straight from HS and if they go the school route, they should stay for three

Don't like either of those options, go overseas
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    They should allow you to enter the draft out of high school no question but there should be a rule where if you don't get drafted you have to forfeit a year of eligibility and if you do decide to enroll to play college ball then it's college football rules. 3 year minimum. If you are truly ready for the pros then you will get drafted. If not you can play in the d league for a year or go to school or play overseas.
  • thagame
    thagame Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    The one and done is probably as good as it gets for now. The NCAA wants to increase their finances so the longer they stay the better. The NBA wants free advertising by NCAA so let them do most of their scouting work for them. I would say big men take longer to develop it has been that way for a while now and still no guarantees. Most of the wings and guards are not necessarily getting better by playing weak competition in college or playing against teams using zones that minimize individual great players.

What is funny is in Europe the teenagers are playing professionally and basically learning from the best of their area. Here in the US the NCAA and the colleges are counting millions from these amateurs.
  • MarcusGarvey
    When Adam Silver and the head of players union (whenever they announce) bump the age limits will y'all be satified? Or will people start complaining man these sophomores aren't ready?

Paternalistic anyone?

In a perfect world, there would be no age limit. With the system as it is, it's fine. Play one year, see who can swim who can't. If the player doesn't get drafted, time to play the circuit or go back to school for a career. There's always going to be people who fail. Get over it.
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For every Kyrie Irving, Melo, Wade and John Wall you'll have your Hasheem Thabeet, Wesley Johnson, Derrick Williams and Michael Beasley of the world. No amount of rule changing can prevent a guy from being a bust. You can pretty much tell which one it'll be before the season starts
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For every Kyrie Irving, Melo, Wade and John Wall you'll have your Hasheem Thabeet, Wesley Johnson, Derrick Williams and Michael Beasley of the world. No amount of rule changing can prevent a guy from being a bust. You can pretty much tell which one it'll be before the season starts

Exactly bron came out if HS melo was a 1 and done and wade played 3 yrs at Marquette all different scenarios all franchise players that can argue a point that college can or cannot make a difference
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    R.D. wrote: »
    allow them to go straight from HS and if they go the school route, they should stay for three

This is the best option IMO.

• d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 years would be my vote.

Players gets an education and chance to mature on and off court.
    NCAA teams become more stable programs. Less turnover.
    NBA teams have more intel on draftees and get a more polished player. Also fans get to know/follow the players more before they enter the NBA.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 yr minimum and the nba needs to improve the d league because it's looked at as if u get sent there or play in it that you are trash.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmao at getting a education.

A lot of these dudes is dumb.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [quote="ThirdEyeFive;6915079"]i don't know how ppl can justify an age limit when the top stars of the past decade were high schoolers and one and dones...
    u want to improve the game?
    have a true developmental league where u r giving young players experience and skills...
    the NCAA is a joke.
    there really is no justification for forcing players to basically play for free and act like amateurs.[/quote]

because for every 1 Keven Garnett there are 5 Darius Miles'

for every 1 Kobe Bryant there is 5 Sebastian Telfairs

I've gone back and forth on this issue in the past....honestly....playing in the NBA is a privilege and not a right....I don't like denying a man to the right to make a living but at the same time...these GMs need to smarten up too....I believe its too easy to blame an 18 year old kid for wanting to accept millions of dollars from an organization.....why not point the fingers at the men in charge who are making the personnel decisions?...and as far as I'm concerned the NCAA shouldn't even be allowed to have an arguement in this discussion....I view them as pimps...point blank period....and somebody said 2 teams need to be contracted.....I say thats not enough....4 teams need to go....Milwaukee....Charlotte...New Orleans....Minnesota
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    d.green wrote: »
    3 years would be my vote.

Players gets an education and chance to mature on and off court.
    NCAA teams become more stable programs. Less turnover.
    NBA teams have more intel on draftees and get a more polished player. Also fans get to know/follow the players more before they enter the NBA.

This is an arguement I absolutely loath.....there are plenty of players across all sports that don't even belong in college based on their I.Q......these kids are given athletic scholarships to become scholars....schools are giving these athletes money as an investment....the better you are the more ticket sales, advertisement and exposure.....how many academic scandals have been reported throughout the years.....you can't force someone to get an education.....the individual has to make a conscience to decisions to want an education...Chris Webber said it best when walking past a store on campus...."They're selling that jersey with my name on it for $75 and I can't even put gas in my car."
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014

because for every 1 Keven Garnett there are 5 Darius Miles'

for every 1 Kobe Bryant there is 5 Sebastian Telfairs
    whats the significance of this statement? those 5 Darius Miles and 5 Telfairs cost the league what?
    it is far more profitable for them to risk it than risk letting players get hurt or tainted by weak competition and training.
    playing in the NBA is not a privilege. the ? ? every human has a right to be paid for their work. "nah go play over there for free first"... ? what?
    the responsibility is on the GMs to make better decisions, as it should be.

also, how can anyone make the education argument when it is quite clear that that is a joke.