NBA Draft Rule: One and Done - Debate

Options
124»

Comments

• Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »
    Explain to me how college basketball gets you ready for the NBA when offensive/defensive schemes, coaching, travel, how you spend your down-time, and the business element are totally different.

sports is more mental than physical talent....

as you are in college and "learning in general to become an adult" the same applies to college sports. the experience in "big time college" programs better prepares you for the "next level" you get that one on one time with the coaching staff that you will not have the time to learn in the pros as i stated with the Doc Rivers comment.

you stay in college and basically get to mature. if you are more mature you are better able to handle "adult situations" in the pros; on and off the cout....you telling me billy donovan couldn't better prepare you to play in the pros...ask joakim noah, or mike krzyzewski?

and i do know the NBA has outlets to help these players/have players improve. Being more season in college can't hurt your game, still waiting for someone to tell me how is college bad?

Stocks generally go down more often than up when it comes to top-flight players staying in school. If you're a top 10 pick staying in school, more often than not you'll slip into top 20 and below before you climb to top 5.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Options
    The NBDL and even Euroleague would provide much greater preparation for the NBA than college basketball does, both with maturity and with the competitive aspect.
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    doc let his son ruin his future
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Talk that ? billy
  • Billy_Poncho
    Options
    ericb4prez wrote: »

Who's to say? Say he stays, then that's another season to get hid game picked apart , or he might even get hurt. Then hes lookin being a late first rounder rather than a solid lottery pick, which means he lost millions. And hes no more NBA ready than he was last year. Better yet, he even lost a year he could've used to get tutelage from NBA veteran teammates.
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Who's to say? Say he stays, then that's another season to get hid game picked apart , or he might even get hurt. Then hes lookin being a late first rounder rather than a solid lottery pick, which means he lost millions. And hes no more NBA ready than he was last year. Better yet, he even lost a year he could've used to get tutelage from NBA veteran teammates.

I said that in response to him taking docs words about not having practice time in the league seriously lol me and you on the same page

• ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I said that in response to him taking docs words about not having practice time in the league seriously lol me and you on the same page

Doc let his son make his own decision, that means he still can't mk a statement about lack of practice time??

? Barkley said these katz need to stay longer n school to cause the league sucks right now..As well.
  • ghost!
    Options
    Explain to me how college basketball gets you ready for the NBA when offensive/defensive schemes, coaching, travel, how you spend your down-time, and the business element are totally different.

as you are in college and "learning in general to become an adult" the same applies to college sports. the experience in "big time college" programs better prepares you for the "next level" you get that one on one time with the coaching staff that you will not have the time to learn in the pros as i stated with the Doc Rivers comment.

you stay in college and basically get to mature. if you are more mature you are better able to handle "adult situations" in the pros; on and off the cout....you telling me billy donovan couldn't better prepare you to play in the pros...ask joakim noah, or mike krzyzewski?

and i do know the NBA has outlets to help these players/have players improve. Being more season in college can't hurt your game, still waiting for someone to tell me how is college bad?

Stocks generally go down more often than up when it comes to top-flight players staying in school. If you're a top 10 pick staying in school, more often than not you'll slip into top 20 and below before you climb to top 5.

This would not be the case for everyone...it's one extra year. So all of a sudden now J.Parker is gonna fall out of the lottery cause he is gonna stay one more year?

And A.Rivers could of benefit from staying in College one more yr. I read katz on here saying that...
  • ghost!
    Options
    The NBDL and even Euroleague would provide much greater preparation for the NBA than college basketball does, both with maturity and with the competitive aspect.

Yup that sounds good. But teams invest too much money on lottery picks, per their contacts n the state of their respective teams. I do not think they can afford to take their lottery pick n have him play in the NBA or Euroleague...

Maybe I'm wrong. I think a lot of you are griping about nothing...One more year ain't gonna hurt nobody.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This would not be the case for everyone...it's one extra year. So all of a sudden now J.Parker is gonna fall out of the lottery cause he is gonna stay one more year?

And A.Rivers could of benefit from staying in College one more yr. I read katz on here saying that...

What would Rivers have learn in college that he couldn't learn in the NBA?
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

how to play cause right now, he can't

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

I don't think it's about not being able to learn in the NBA because plenty players learn new skill sets but certain things you should already know before you hit the league. I already said it earlier there's an ESPN article with Lance Stephenson saying he didn't know how to play defense til the NBA. Hell even with LeBron it took him nearly a full decade to work on having an actual somewhat credible jumper. Certain basic skill sets you should have already before you get to the league. You shouldn't be someone like Dwight Howard 10 years into the league and still don't have any type of post game or other players who can't shoot worth a damn on nights they can't simply drive to the basket shot after shot.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go the baseball route. If they want to go D-league or NBA let them. If they want to go to school. Let them just have to commit two years to college basketball. Make the schools commit their scholly to them for two years. They cant pull it unless they arent living up to there academic standards.

No supplemental draft. Mandatory half a year in D-league for all draftees. Make the age to play in the NBA one year out of high school or 19. D-league age is high school graduate or 18.
  • Billy_Poncho
    Options
    LMAO @ a big change can't happen in one year. Alex Polythress was a lottery pick last year, he's not even first round anymore.
  • ghost!
    Options
    LMAO @ a big change can't happen in one year. Alex Polythress was a lottery pick last year, he's not even first round anymore.

if this is directed at me, please quote me correctly..what i said exactly was...

. So all of a sudden now J.Parker is gonna fall out of the lottery cause he is gonna stay one more year?

far different then what you claiming i said (if you directed your comment toward me), also if you slip in one year, then it's obvious you arent going to be any good. that's pretty weak, if you gotta leave early cause it will affect your draft ranking, if that is the case then you arent good to begin with. Solid players stay solid players, they arent solid players, lose skill in a year then turn around and become solid again...(in terms of college, and being drafted)
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jabari Parker - he'll be wasting his time in college next year.

What does he gain? How many times can he drop 30 on the Carolinas, Wake, or Syracuse?

He should take his talents to the league and take online classes at Duke if he wants to get a degree.
  • thagame
    thagame Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Jabari Parker - he'll be wasting his time in college next year.

What does he gain? How many times can he drop 30 on the Carolinas, Wake, or Syracuse?

He should take his talents to the league and take online classes at Duke if he wants to get a degree.

I agree I think he is probably wasting his development staying in college. He is enjoying being a king on campus. The weaknesses in his game are weaknesses to his physical attributes. He has slower feet than most SF's and that is probably not getting that much faster. He can hit the weights a little harder but that was coming regardless. His overall game is NBA ready.