Best Martial Art for Fighting Bigger Opponents?

Options
2»

Comments

• genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its all about Jeet Kune do
  • movingfeet
    movingfeet Members Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's my picks if you want

Wing Chun: The adaptability and the strategy of knowing how to break down a opponent from top to bottom in places that THEY even didn't know they had.

Muey Thai: For just breaking your opponent down with brute force with all parts of your extremities (if your 6ft and above it's even more deadly)

Jujitsu: For well breaking opponents bones using their own momentum

Boxing: The evasion and technique of boxing meaning when to throw a punch and how to throw a punch and targeting properly.
  • UinitiatedMgt
    UinitiatedMgt Members Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Options
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Wrestling, boxing, muy thai, BJJ. In that order.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brown belt in judo and aikido. Judo is REAL my ? . Aikido is just pretty unless you're Steven seagal

Judo is the ? , I will be taking Judo in a few weeks, and I do some bouncing all the world's top bouncers are judokans
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? it, just go to a good MMA school.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    L.I.N.E. training

not necessarily a martial art.......but the USMC used to train this.........all SF initially train some variation of this before they go into another formal hand to hand discipline

Army infantry units unofficially incorporate this training in offensive tactics

basically it's a bunch of quick efficient strikes that break bones and destroy joints of an opponent while you are still able to wear loads of military equipment

the USMC stopped this program cause L.I.N.E. is dangerous to use on peacekeeping missions.........basically this training teaches you how to ? mofos and break bones
  • thephantasm
    thephantasm Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jiu Jitsu
    This ^^

I've been training for 4 months love it so far.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    anyone mention bondo?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Boxing, muay Thai, bjj

I feel active sparring with expernced partners in those three still have even the most timid confident against random attackers
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    L.I.N.E. training

not necessarily a martial art.......but the USMC used to train this.........all SF initially train some variation of this before they go into another formal hand to hand discipline

basically it's a bunch of quick efficient strikes that break bones and destroy joints of an opponent while you are still able to wear loads of military equipment

the USMC stopped this program cause L.I.N.E. is dangerous to use on peacekeeping missions.........basically this training teaches you how to ? mofos and break bones

Can't speak on marines but nowhere in the army is that taught. The bare minimum is taught because there is literally no situation where hand to hand is seen as necessary in an active combat zone.
  • MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    movingfeet wrote: »
    Muey Thai: For just breaking your opponent down with brute force with all parts of your extremities (if your 6ft and above it's even more deadly)

Are you talking about this man?

sagat-sf4-original-select-artwork.jpg

• sthiphop101
    sthiphop101 Members Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Options
    Its all about Jeet Kune do

I've done krav maga, boxing and wing chun, and when i finally decided to listen to my friend about joining him in JKD i was like ? ! You're best bet is going with JKD, because it takes from boxing/kickboxing, wing chun, and kung fu/gung fu. It basically takes what you need from each and applies it to one philosophy. there's flaws in each one when you really engage in combat, but Bruce was really methodical in combining all the useful from each in order to better adapt in combat. You should seriously consider JKD, especially if you have no prior experience. ? what anyone else says. but then again choose a art skill that better suits you.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Soooooooo....MMA.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    L.I.N.E. training

Can't speak on marines but nowhere in the army is that taught. The bare minimum is taught because there is literally no situation where hand to hand is seen as necessary in an active combat zone.

that's why I said unofficially because it's not a formal training program in the Army

but most forced entry type units train in a variation of L.I.N.E in the Army.........when I was in we did this ? all the time........we also did combatives before the Army formally put out its combatives program

that ? you learn in basic training can't even really be considered training in hand-to-hand....that ? is really nothing

and yes there are plenty of situations where hand-to-hand is useful in an active combat zone........that's why the Army trains so much in room-clearing now......but mostly hand-to-hand training in the Army now is for motivational purposes to instill a fighting spirit
  • K_Fisher
    K_Fisher Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    movingfeet wrote: »
    Here's my picks if you want

Wing Chun: The adaptability and the strategy of knowing how to break down a opponent from top to bottom in places that THEY even didn't know they had.

Jujitsu: For well breaking opponents bones using their own momentum

Boxing: The evasion and technique of boxing meaning when to throw a punch and how to throw a punch and targeting properly.

Good mention.Forgot about this one,apart from what he mentioned about breaking down an opponent..Wing chun also teaches use of distance between you and your opponent as an advantage.This could come in handy against a bigger oponent.
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As a 5'6" guy who grew up doing martial arts this is a topic I've done a lot of research into. Judo and BJJ are probably the best outside of fighting ? or using a weapon if the other guy has a significant physical advantage over you. That and not being a ? . A lot of those traditional martial arts styles(mainly the chinese ones) aren't really that effective because they leave out full contact sparring. Hard to know if you're techniques work if you don't train them against a resisting opponent. Boxing and Muay Thai can be effective to but they really cater to fighting in a specific weight class rather than neutralizing a weight advantage that an opponent may have over you. You can still do some damage with those styles but you can also get your ass whooped by someone with just basic knowlege if the size advantage is great enough. Anything can be effective theoretically but if your concern is neutralizing a significant size and strength advantage with technique then BJJ can do that for you and Judo can do it while keeping you on your feet.
  • MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll say BJJ because you can get in close with skillful, bigger opponents and dominate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjK0g-cDJI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjFp1R5klo4
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stand up wise Muay thai is the truth.
  • lamborambo
    lamborambo Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Options
    I get all the dudes saying JKD, Judo, BJJ but the answer to the original question depends on where said fight is taking place. If it's in a controlled environment, perhaps indoors in a cage then sure, JKD, Judo, BJJ, all those where you can take an opponent down to the ground and mess him up are good.
    If it's standing, hand to hand combat then it's simply going to be either Boxing or Muay Thai imo. The better one is at either, the better for neutralizing a bigger opponent. Obviously if an opponent is bigger and skilled in either then of course it'd be good to know something else such as BJJ, JKD, something else.
  • iNeverCould
    iNeverCould Members Posts: 60
    Options
    Simple answer: Karate
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamborambo wrote: »
    I get all the dudes saying JKD, Judo, BJJ but the answer to the original question depends on where said fight is taking place. If it's in a controlled environment, perhaps indoors in a cage then sure, JKD, Judo, BJJ, all those where you can take an opponent down to the ground and mess him up are good.
    If it's standing, hand to hand combat then it's simply going to be either Boxing or Muay Thai imo. The better one is at either, the better for neutralizing a bigger opponent. Obviously if an opponent is bigger and skilled in either then of course it'd be good to know something else such as BJJ, JKD, something else.

Yeah Jeet June Do is designed to get the fight over quickly, it is more so for street fighting, standing and being on the ground.
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lady_Capoeira
    Lady_Capoeira Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    Options