Linsanity

Options
A Talented One
A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
I'm talking about the documentary. Has anybody seen it? I recently watched it. It's an inspiring story of basketball, faith and perseverance.

It's also a story about how Lin's racial identity limited his success at every stage of his basketball career: how only one AAU team wanted him, how he only got one offer to play college ball despite leading his team to a state championship, and how teams in the NBA ignored his talent, even when he did very well in their workouts. I think blacks in non-black dominated fields should be able to relate.

Comments

• A Talented One
    Options
  • A Talented One
    Options
    image001339631856907picp0c.gif

Dude went to Harvard, has billions of fans, and now makes millions in the NBA. So sad.

If you know his story you'd know that his career could easily have ended in his second year. Like if he didn't play well in that first game in which he exploded (against the Nets) he probably would have been cut and it's doubtful whether any other time would have given him the chance.

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Overrated.

Real NY fans knew that ? even when he was still on the Knicks.

How much of it was talent and how much if it was hype ?

And before you claim talent, ask yourself if you're only comparing him to other Asian players... which you could probably count on one hand.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? this trash ass overrated from playing in D'antoni's system ?

? Zhi Zhi>>>>

He dont deserve a thread
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can relate to the part about no teams ever wanting him. That's about it
  • A Talented One
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I don't know if anybody is saying he's the GOAT, or that him being Asian doesn't attract him more attention than he would otherwise get.

The questions are:

1) Is he good enough to be a solid player in the NBA?

2) Did him being Asian negatively impact his path to a secure position in the NBA?

I think the answers to both questions are yes.

Plus you got to admit that coming off the bench with the Knicks on the verge of being cut and paying so well was an inspiring story.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every time I see him play, I think of Ramen noodles. I ? hate Ramen noodles.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    He's not the worst player in the NBA but I think him being Asian helped sell him if anything.

Unless, it's something in that documentary I didn't see, that held him back.

They was mentioning him, and in the same breath - Yao Ming, like he was really gonna shake ? up.

I was glad to see the him scoring when he was on the Knicks, but even as a fan, I'm like this ? ain't really all that nice - way too many better players that don't even get the credit out there.

The NBA loves foreigners coming to the league so they can portray "balance".
  • A Talented One
    edited April 2014
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    He's not the worst player in the NBA but I think him being Asian helped sell him if anything.

Unless, it's something in that documentary I didn't see, that held him back.

They was mentioning him, and in the same breath - Yao Ming, like he was really gonna shake ? up.

I was glad to see the him scoring when he was on the Knicks, but even as a fan, I'm like this ? ain't really all that nice - way too many better players that don't even get the credit out there.

The NBA loves foreigners coming to the league so they can portray "balance".

I'm saying him being Asian both helped sell him and held him back, going back from his AAU playing days to his struggles to make it in the NBA.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    Dudes are being disingenuous. You mean you really can't see dudes seeing an Asian kid on the court and concluding based off of that that he probably can't play?

It's the same way people just look at us and conclude that we can't do x, where x is something intellectually demanding. That's why I can relate to Lin. Ain't many blacks in my field, and I know I get stereotyped a lot.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's basketball, dude. When you get on the court and start hoopin' -- people will give you your props -- and your chance - and your roster spot - and your contract.

That's the only reason the NBA and NFL *is* majority black. Because it's one of the few professions today where talent overshadows skin color eventually.

You know how many NBA owners and coaches would MUCH rather have a roster of mild-mannered, Harvard educated, Asian players that have the same skills as Durant and Lebron instead of a team of 14 black dudes that grew up in the roughest neighborhoods in the country, went thru the worst public school systems, and now have emotional issues and chips on the shoulders?

Ask P.J. Carliesimo if he can pick his player's backgrounds and races what would he pick. Then ask every coach that ever coached Iverson.

As soon as Lin started playing quality ball, he became an overnight celebrity. Simple as that. End of story.

He ain't the Male, Asian Harriet Tubman. Give it up.
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can relate to Lin it's just like blacks in the tech field. If y'all don't see the comparison idk what to tell y'all.its the same logic ppl use to say racism ended because the president is black.
  • A Talented One
    edited April 2014
    Options
    It's basketball, dude. When you get on the court and start hoopin' -- people will give you your props -- and your chance - and your roster spot - and your contract.

That's the only reason the NBA and NFL *is* majority black. Because it's one of the few professions today where talent overshadows skin color eventually.

You know how many NBA owners and coaches would MUCH rather have a roster of mild-mannered, Harvard educated, Asian players that have the same skills as Durant and Lebron instead of a team of 14 black dudes that grew up in the roughest neighborhoods in the country, went thru the worst public school systems, and now have emotional issues and chips on the shoulders?

Ask P.J. Carliesimo if he can pick his player's backgrounds and races what would he pick. Then ask every coach that ever coached Iverson.

As soon as Lin started playing quality ball, he became an overnight celebrity. Simple as that. End of story.

Watch the movie.
  • greenwood1921
    Options

Watch the movie.

Nah, I'm good.
  • RAPH
    RAPH Members Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I'll check it out. Lin is my dude. He gets a lot of hate though. Knicks fans act like they were winning games with Carmelo and Stat beforehand, but it was Lin that Sparked the Knicks. When Lin got his shot he was putting up big numbers and making incredible plays every night, but people only tend to remember the negative. Yeah he had an issue with TO's and played a bad game against the Heat. Smh so many people wanted him to fail against the Heat and he did, but damn that was just ONE game. Lin single handedly carried the Knicks to multiple W's playing team ball. He didn't have to ball hog and iso like Melo. (Remember how salty Melo was? smh) Was Lin overhyped? Yes and NO. Sure he got extra recognition because he was asian, but it wasn't all positive. He had just as many haters and doubters waiting for him to fail as he did people rooting for him.

At the end of the day though, his hype was not about him being asian, but it was about the fact that he went from a nobody at the end of the bench, to the star player of the biggest stage in the game of basketball. How many other players have done that??????? Usually you have a role player have one fluke game where he ? out, and that's the last you hear of him. That being said, Lin did something with the Knicks that probably no NBA player has ever done before, and that has nothing to do with him being asian.

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    He doesnt get hate. He gets a pretty fair shake really. He took a chance from Mike Dantoni, the NY stage, and turned it into a 30 mill. contract and a lifetime of name reocgnition.

There is absolutely nothing struggley about his story. If he was about to get cut and 'barely made it' theres a reason for it. There are D league and overseas players who could do what he does. But they dont have the confidence and green light to shoot and create like he does or any other player with a name does.

Thats the league in a nutshell. The most crowded position in maybe all of sports is the undersized 2 guard/combo guard. And even the ones in the league shoot around 40% ...theres dozens of guys who can do that. Its all about a name and opportunity, and green light.
  • RAPH
    edited April 2014
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    He doesnt get hate. He gets a pretty fair shake really. He took a chance from Mike Dantoni, the NY stage, and turned it into a 30 mill. contract and a lifetime of name reocgnition.

There is absolutely nothing struggley about his story. If he was about to get cut and 'barely made it' theres a reason for it. There are D league and overseas players who could do what he does. But they dont have the confidence and green light to shoot and create like he does or any other player with a name does.

Thats the league in a nutshell. The most crowded position in maybe all of sports is the undersized 2 guard/combo guard. And even the ones in the league shoot around 40% ...theres dozens of guys who can do that. Its all about a name and opportunity, and green light.

Lin did get cut twice, so he did barely make it. He wasn't even in the Knicks rotation at all before he started getting consistent minutes. He was literally a no name player that turned into a star in NY. NO player is simply just given the green light, they have to EARN it. And besides, Lin was a pass first PG anyway, he was all about getting his teammates involved.

So considering that the NBA and D League are packed with PG's, he had to beat out hundreds if not thousands to get his spot, and when he got his shot, he owned it like NO OTHER.

If "there are D league and overseas players who could do what he does" like you say, than WHY HAVEN'T THEY?

Y'all must have forgot-

In his first 5 NBA starts Lin has scored 136 points and now holds the record for the most points scored for an NBA player in their first 5 NBA starts, breaking Shaquille O'Neal's record.

Stop the Lin hate, and admit that HE was the best thing that happened to the Knicks in nearly a decade.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw it, it was wack...
    lol@him using the phrase "if i was black"... he's trash.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    I saw it, it was wack...

Welp. The bold is all I need to know.

I just bought another flat-screen. Bustin' the screen with some foreign object over a wack ass movie about a lame player just ain't worth it.

Thanks.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is Lin doing now
  • RAPH
    Options
    Vader wrote: »
    What is Lin doing now
    He's doing a lot better than the Knicks.
  • A Talented One
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I saw it, it was wack...

He definitely would not have struggled as much far as recognition of his skills if he were black. I don't see how anybody can deny that. In sports -- or perhaps I should say certain sports -- it definitely doesn't hurt you being black, and it might even help. He would not have had so many skeptics if he were black. Dude led his HS team to a state championship, and still only got the Harvard offer.