As President; Would U Stop A Foriegn Genocide?

DarcSkies
DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in The Social Lounge
So its Rwanda or Darfur all over again. But only lets not make it Africans...lets just make it a generic group of people...make up your own race...

They are being wiped out by another race. You are POTUS...Do you step in with US troops or allow the slaughter to continue?

As President; Would U Stop A Foriegn Genocide? 25 votes

Yes, Send In the Marines. We're not he world's police but we should still have a conscience...
16%
janklowzombieJabu_RuleBazz-B 4 votes
Yes, but only with NATO support. We're not taking up this responsiblity alone.
20%
DupacqawshunMeta_Consciousspiritgod87BIGG WILL 5 votes
Yes, but only airstrikes. No boots on the ground period.
8%
CashmoneyDuxHyenaKilla 2 votes
Yes but only in secret using Spec-Ops...dont want to risk a Blackhawk Down incident.
4%
DarcSkies 1 vote
Meh...any sanctions I can throw on them? If not then OH WELL...
4%
The Iconoclast 1 vote
The US Military is to defend its own citizens. Not other people, insensitive but Oh Well..
20%
jonoNothingButTheTruthAristo_V300Rasta.LadyZee 5 votes
YES, Its what Jesus would do...
8%
cobblandSneakDZA 2 votes
NO, because I wouldnt care...
8%
RahlowMainstream_rap_sucks 2 votes
Mmmm...good question...THEY BLACK -_- ?
0%
OTHER...
12%
kingblaze84StoneColdMikeytwatgetta 3 votes

Comments

• BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but only with NATO support. We're not taking up this responsiblity alone.
    No boots on the ground. Would help Nato w/ Supplies, and other logistic support, but that's it. And that only depends how bad it is.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OTHER...
    Depends on the situation.....
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes but only in secret using Spec-Ops...dont want to risk a Blackhawk Down incident.
    People out there dyin bruh! Arms being chopped off...women gettin ? .
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The US Military is to defend its own citizens. Not other people, insensitive but Oh Well..
    What I picked says it all. I would offer the slaughtered group amnesty to come to the USA if they wanted but no military.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Yes, Send In the Marines. We're not he world's police but we should still have a conscience...
    ? it, man, if it's a no-joke genocide, you have to make an effort to do SOMETHING
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If a government is so malevolent that it can commit blatant genocide then it will eventually become a threat to the interests of my nation. so i would do whatever is needed to destroy such a government.
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer of what would you do and what could you do is entirely situational and depends on where, who and how among many questions.

One thing we know, it's extremely hard to stop people from killing other people when they have a strong desire to do so.

What is the BEST way to get knocked out? Go and try and break up a fight among two people you don't know.

I saw everyone bypassed the Rwanada thread below. Frankly I don't blame you because the whole story is too real for any rational person to comprehend but I did thing it was timely because this time 20 years ago an avg of 8000 people were butchered with machetes in Rwanda a day because they belonged to the wrong group ( 800,000/100 days)

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/513823/20-years-anniversary-triumph-of-evil#latest

The Hutus plan to start the genocide without interference, detailed in the first segment of the documentary, was to savagely ? 10 Belgian peace keepers knowing this would send them packing. It did, then the hutus 'got to work'. Peace keepers keep peace but if their is no peace to be had, it's not peacekeeping.

The only sure way to stop a genocide is to:

1) ? the Killers, how do you tell them apart in most places of the world?
    2) build a wall separating them, essentially imprisoning them.

As president, you need a lot of answers ready to explain to tax payers, moms, dads, spouses, children & siblings why they should risk their son's and daughter's life for your vision however noble it may be.

It's interesting that my own brother will be going to the congo (very soon) to support the UN operations for peace keeping. If you ask me, his life is way more important to me than X ? down there but he is a soldier and goes where he is assigned.

That operation was started in 1960. 54 years later, they still aren't tired of fighting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Operation_in_the_Congo

http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/missions/monusco/mandate.shtml

http://www.africom.mil/Newsroom/Article/6599/ward-in-congo-us-military-will-continue-supporting

http://www.army.mil/article/100349/U_S__Army_Africa_team_holds_Intelligence_course_in_Democratic_Republic_of_Congo/

• Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First and foremost, I would apply Jesus' commandment, "first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye".
  • Darth Sidious
    LadyZee wrote: »
    *not american, but anyway*

America is the meddler of the world. War is not the answer to everything.

Not that America ever 'help' in any country without some sort of ulterior motive.

Quick to intervene in the middle east to save them from the evils of the likes of Saddam Hussein, but Zimbabwe can just go to ? ...
    Hmmm makes sense.

War is not the answer to everything..

Quick scenario:

You have just run into a school where the UN has soldiers stationed and outside the perimeter are men with machetes wanting to hack you and everyone in it to death. What do you do?

When the soldiers left these individuals, crying and talking didn't work so what would you suggest?

America intervened successfully (militarily) in Bosnia Herzegovina and the ? holocaust but it is not possible to be the global super cop but it should have definitely helped more than it did in Rwanada. Unfortunately America was fresh off of being burned in Somalia was loathe to intervene elsewhere in Africa.

• Darth Sidious
    BTW @LadyZee‌

Many people outside of the US, because I read the BBC news, are so butthurt over the US and the perceived evils it is responsible for they gloss over\forget what it does.

There was no payday in Somalia when the united states and the UN came after famine had killed hundreds of thousands caused by years of war. This was the situation back then.

1101921214_400.jpg

UNI29047.jpg

This is what America was greeted with for it's efforts to save lives because of warlords and terrorists.

1381340216491.cached.jpg

In January 1991, Somalian President Mohammed Siad Barre was overthrown in the ensuing civil war by a coalition of opposing clans.[16] The Somali National Army concurrently disbanded and some former soldiers reconstituted as irregular regional forces or joined the clan militias.[17] The main rebel group in the capital Mogadishu was the United Somali Congress (USC),[16] which later divided into two armed factions: one led by Ali Mahdi Muhammad, who became president, and the other by Mohamed Farrah Aidid. In total, there were four opposition groups that competed for political control – the USC, Somali Salvation Democratic Front (SSDF), Somali Patriotic Movement (SPM) and Somali Democratic Movement (SDM). In June 1991, a ceasefire was agreed to, but failed to hold. A fifth group, the Somali National Movement (SNM), later declared independence in the Somalia's northwest portion in June. The SNM renamed the unrecognized territory Somaliland, with its leader Abdirahman Ahmed Ali Tuur selected as president.[18]

In September 1991, severe fighting broke out in Mogadishu, which continued in the following months and spread throughout the country, with over 20,000 people killed or injured by the end of the year. These wars led to the destruction of the Somalia's agriculture, which in turn led to starvation in large parts of the country. The international community began to send food supplies to halt the starvation, but vast amounts of food were hijacked and brought to local clan leaders, who routinely exchanged it with other countries for weapons. An estimated 80 percent of the food was stolen. These factors led to even more starvation, from which an estimated 300,000 people died and another 1.5 million people suffered between 1991 and 1992. In July 1992, after a ceasefire between the opposing clan factions, the U.N. sent 50 military observers to watch the food's distribution
    .[18]

US president George H. W. Bush (left) visiting Somalia to witness the efforts of Task Force Somalia that was in direct support of Operation Restore Hope.
    Operation Provide Relief began in August 1992, when the U.S. President George H. W. Bush announced that U.S. military transports would support the multinational U.N. relief effort in Somalia. Ten C-130s and 400 people were deployed to Mombasa, Kenya, airlifting aid to Somalia's remote areas and reducing reliance on truck convoys. One member of the 86th Supply Squadron, USAFE's only contribution to the operation, was deployed with the ground support contingent. The C-130s delivered 48,000 tons of food and medical supplies in six months to international humanitarian organizations trying to help Somalia's more than three million starving people.[18]

• Darth Sidious
    Many people outside the US are 'butthurt'?
    Don't be stupid. We just aren't brainwashed into the 'America, world's saviour' ? .

I forgot that America media was so honest... Speaking of Somalia, I assume they notified the America people about the drone attacks as they were taking place? No? ... How surprising.

Trying to use the Somalia saga to try to defend the US is ridiculous.

It's thought that during America's engagement in Somalia they killed between 7 and 10 thousand Somalians.
    How can you justify that?

Of course America's role in Somalia was purely humanitarian... :-w
    According to a report issued by Range Resources, there are some huge oil seeps in north Somalia (Somaliland) and in the southwest where Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia meet.

Yes, You are Butthurt.

2463812-2304795-good_good_let_the_butthurt_flow_through_you_1.jpg

You are in the UK right? Native of the UK? It's pretty easy for you to take the high ground living under the protection of a democracy.

No drones were flying in 92, now they do because warlords still roam the streets with rpgs and ak's who would spread terror and their brand of ideology.

Boy it would be fun to drop you off there and see how your perspective changes :)

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/somalia/

Apr. 12, 2014
    James Kiarie Gichoi and Daniel Njuguna, Kenyan aid workers who were abducted by the Shabab militant group in 2011, are rescued by Kenyan troops who are part of a peacekeeping mission in Somalia.MORE »

Apr. 8, 2014
    Security guard in Somalia's semiautonomous Puntland region shoots to death two United Nations consultants shortly after they land at Galkayo airport.MORE »

Feb. 28, 2014
    Suicide bomber drives car loaded with explosives into cafe in Mogadishu, Somalia, killing at least 10 people; Shabab militant group claims responsibility for attack.MORE »

Feb. 22, 2014
    Multiple explosions and firefight erupt near presidential palace in Mogadishu, Somalia, killing 12 people; militant Somali Islamist group Shabab claims responsibility.MORE »

Feb. 14, 2014
    At least five people are killed and a dozen wounded when car loaded with explosives blows up outside entrance to international airport in Mogadishu, Somalia

• Darth Sidious
    You are an Irish Catholic? They were the recipient of most of the British Army's attention.

I took exception with a few things.

1) The common thread I hear from people outside of the US is that it's only interests are oil. Not true. They overlook the humanitarian work the govt does every day that goes unnoticed and focus on the fighting in the middle east. That is a whole other topic I wont get derail this thread more than it has.

2) War is not the answer to everything. We are talking about genocide. I cannot find many instances where it has ever been stopped other than fighting back or the perpetrators eventually running out of people to ? . They don't tend to have a change of heart after they get started.

3) When you have people in Syria, Africa and elsewhere asking 'why doesn't they world do something', they always look to the US because ? knows Russia and China aren't going to help and Nato has been neutered largely and can't move the supplies and men needed to go where they have to.

4) You live in the UK, a place that but for arms, food and direct military support from the US would have been bombed and starved into submission by Germany. It is right to stand up to evil when you can but the troubles of the world are beyond the US intervening everywhere.

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    YES, Its what Jesus would do...
    When 1 million people are getting hacked to pieces with dull machetes they don't care about the politics of who is saving them.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd Nuke them
  • Darth Sidious
    LadyZee, I know a great deal more about the UK than most people who live outside of it. I have never been to Ireland but spent about 2 months in England, Whales and Scotland. I love it there. My family visits nearly every summer.

By attention, I didn't mean positive. That is a very dark time but then again the IRA and all of it's various offshoots wasn't entirely without blood on it's hands was it?

Also, just because Ireland decided to stick it's head in the sand during WW2 doesn't mean it would have been immune to the war coming its way.

You are more or less a pacifist who has the luxury to live with her head in the clouds. Enjoy that freedom but as I have said and SneakDZA stated, when men with machetes are outside waiting to ? you, go type up on your phone\pc\ipad how you are a military non-interventionist.

• Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defend your country and stay out of others' affairs. Every civilization has to sink low before it can rise again just like the USA
  • kingblaze84
    OTHER...
    Darxwell wrote: »
    People out there dyin bruh! Arms being chopped off...women gettin ? .

Well considering America's tarnished reputation worldwide when it comes to intervening in other nations' business, I would be very cautious. But in a situation like above, I would probably use special ops forces in as limited a manner as possible. Kind of like what France did in Mali when terrorists were creating havoc by trying to force Islam on several villages. If it's a situation like that AND most of the region agrees with my actions (African Union, Arab Union, etc), I would definitely go in and send those special ops forces. No more then maybe 5K members, but more if the region's countries ask for it. If the region's nations don't want my country's help, then I'd ask the United Nations to send peacekeepers there
  • kingblaze84
    OTHER...
    Many people outside the US are 'butthurt'?
    Don't be stupid. We just aren't brainwashed into the 'America, world's saviour' ? .

I forgot that America media was so honest... Speaking of Somalia, I assume they notified the America people about the drone attacks as they were taking place? No? ... How surprising.

Trying to use the Somalia saga to try to defend the US is ridiculous.

It's thought that during America's engagement in Somalia they killed between 7 and 10 thousand Somalians.
    How can you justify that?

Of course America's role in Somalia was purely humanitarian... :-w
    According to a report issued by Range Resources, there are some huge oil seeps in north Somalia (Somaliland) and in the southwest where Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia meet.

Wow was it really that much? I thought Americans were there strictly to help, I didn't even know Americans killed a thousand plus people, on top of 7 to 8 thousand. I gotta read up on that
  • Darth Sidious
    It's funny how you focus on the 7-8 thousand Somalis thought to have been killed by the US but ignore the hundreds of thousands who starved to death or were killed due to the fighting and the warlords stealing the food from those it was meant to help. That is why the US went in.

#Classic

starving+people.jpg

281851582_1068334150001_110721Somalia-4969317.jpg?pubId=281851582
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    OTHER...
    Only if its for our best interest
  • Darth Sidious
    I have no doubt Somalis were killed by the US while we were there because a friend of mine served during that operation and I recall him telling me about at night how mortars would be fired into the US bases and he and others could see them stalking around the perimeter with night vision goggles and I suspect more than a few got popped on those occasions until they learned not to do that anymore.
  • janklow
    I saw everyone bypassed the Rwanada thread below.
    i don't know if everyone bypassed it so much as in some cases, there's no comment to make
    Not that America ever 'help' in any country without some sort of ulterior motive.
    the catch is when people ? about America in this respect as if ANY other country doesn't have calculations involved in helping (or "helping") other countries

every nation with the means to intervene in other nations has shady motivations, so if the moral playing field is level in that respect, maybe we can move on and weigh the actual interventions
  • janklow
    The recipient of most of the British Army's attention? Yes, killing us and providing protestant paramilitaries with guns, etc in order to ? us - exactly the attention we wanted.
    to be fair, it's not like both sides of that conflict didn't get guns from shady as ? means and commit violence against random civilians
    What happens with America's genocide in Iraq then? Are they just going to keep killing and killing until they run out of people?
    not even sure what this is about
    If you're referring to WWII I think you'll find that Ireland stayed neutral thoughout.
    To make your statement accurate try using 'Britain' instead of 'the UK'.
    you know what's NOT a strong argument on moral grounds? declaring you proudly stayed neutral rather than fighting ? .

also, look, if you live in Northern Ireland, then you live in the UK. sorry, you may hate it, good luck, but it's in the UK. and the UK -not solely Britain- was in the war. at that time the UK also meant a lot more than just a handful of islands, right? i presume this because you're taking the Protestant paramilitary thing very personally. if you don't, okay.
  • janklow
    LadyZee, I know a great deal more about the UK than most people who live outside of it. I have never been to Ireland but spent about 2 months in England, Whales and Scotland. I love it there. My family visits nearly every summer.
    don't say this and then spell WALES wrong, damnit!

• Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    You guys do know that we have rotating leadership and they don't always have the same political alignment nor do they make exclusively similar decisions right? Sudan happened under Bush. Clinton sent people in to help in Somalia and East Europe. Obama sent people to planes to Libya and aid to catch Koney. Iraq was bush's fake concern about genocide and freedoms.

Somalia didn't turn out too well so people were skittish about Rwanda unfortunately. It was a year after the whole black hawk thing so the American citizens wouldn't have allowed it.