Do you think Americans are more unsympathetic than other people?

2»

Comments

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Down south they're pretty friendly (at least the black people are).

But there is a pretty mean aura in a lot of places in the U.S. mostly due to media influence. They stay molding the average person into thinking the world is out to get them, and as a result everyone acts cold towards each other, or they always have their guard up on some prison ? .
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a baby get hit by a car in China and nobody helped
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a 50/50 thing, where it's not necessarily that people are not courteous because they're hateful but unsure.

Being uncertain about helping another person seems common, whether it's the thought of breaking up a fight or helping someone out, because you're uncertain of how they might react.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not as bad as the Chinese
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a baby get hit by a car in China and nobody helped

Being the hero in situations like that binds the person to legal and financial obligation or some ? like that. Not a good excuse obviously, but if it's true then I guess that might be part of it.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its funny how people take on the surface pleasantries as a representation of the chivalry. morality.. .. yadda yadda of people..
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kat wrote: »
    Where in the US are you?

Rude people are everywhere, but for the most part people know how to act down here.

Men open doors, let ladies enter the elevator first, hello or at least a smile or a head nod in passing..little things like that.

Southern people are friendlier than those East coast.

Chicago.

People here can be nice too. Actually, I find the working class black people here to be really friendly. More friendly than white people. They'll walk into an establishment and say hello, ask how people are doing, etc.

Today, again, i walked past a elder black man, and he dropped a glove while he was reaching for something in his bag, and i picked it up and gave it to him. Dude was really appreciative. I find a lot of black people, when leaving or receiving something tend to say 'bless you' a lot. i like that. much better than my interactions with white people in the city. They tend to just say "thanks" and keep it moving.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    a lot of Americans are very welcoming and sympathetic, a lot of them are incredible ? . i wouldn't rank them as the MOST unsympathetic.

that said, Canadians are nicer on a personal level IMO
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Blissfully unaware.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LadyZee wrote: »
    When I went to America on holiday I remember being shocked at the blatant lack of manners.

What I found really shocking was the kids. They were so loud and arrogant for all the age of them.

America is toxic and it's filled with toxic people. I live in the dumbshine state save me from this loony bin please!
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LadyZee wrote: »
    When I went to America on holiday I remember being shocked at the blatant lack of manners.

What I found really shocking was the kids. They were so loud and arrogant for all the age of them.

So true. These young boys and girls have no sense. They're so bad

blame their parents i'm pretty sure they are a mess as well.