NBA or NFL... Which league do you prefer?

Comments

• #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    NBA
    I Like football a lot but I truly love basketball overall.

Basketball is just easier to explain to people and more entertaining to follow. I understand why most like the NFL though and it is because it's less games in the season which put more emphasis on each game.

I think it's funny that people try to say it's more parity in the NFL as opposed to the NBA because in both sports you always get the same teams that are competitive. What saves the NFL from having the same champions every year is injuries and 1 and done playoffs, which is why my favorite sporting spectacle is the NCAA basketball tournament. It's perfect because it's 1 and done and basketball is the only team sport where 1 player can drastically effect the outcome of a game.

I forget how long the streak was, but 5 of the 12 playoff teams weren't in the playoffs the previous year in the NFL for a lot of years. Look back a few years and people weren't checking for the Broncos, 9ers, Seahawks, Bengals, Panthers, Chiefs. The Steelers, Giants, Ravens, Texans, and Falcons have all fallen off recently. The NFC West went from a laughing stock to the Deepest division in the league. So I would say the NFL changes more than you give it credit for.

The teams with well run front offices in any sport always remain in the hunt year in and year out. The Pats, Steelers, Giants, Ravens have dipped a little bit but it isn't all that serious because it will not be for long. LOL. They have continuity at the ownership,front office and coaching staff which is why they might go through a dry spell but they will bounce back quick.

To hammer home my point, since 2002 (when the division were split into 4 for each conference) Green Bay has won the NFC North 7 times, Philly has won the NFC East 6 times, Seattle has won the NFC West 6 times, Pittsburg has won the AFC North 6 times, Indy has won the AFC South 8 times and New England has dominated the AFC East 10 times out of 12 seasons. The NFC South and AFC West have been the most competitive divisions out of these last 12 seasons.

I'm not going to count playoff appearances which would prove even more that the same teams win in the NFL just like any other sport because a lot of the teams who dominated their divisions during this 12 year stretch still made the playoffs as wildcards win they didn't win the division.

In that time Green Bay has 1 ring, Philly has 0, Seattle has 1, Pittsburgh has 2, Indy has 1, and NE has 2. In that same time in the NBA Spurs have 3, Lakers have 2, Heat have 3. The 3 teams I named have 2 more rings than the 6 you named.

To hammer home my point the NBA has had 8 teams win the championship the past 30 years. The NFL has had 8 teams win in the past 10 years.
    But you're up here talking about division champs...

You missed my point completely. SMH.

I'm pointing out that parity isn't as huge as NFL fans make it out to be. The NBA has the same teams winning championships because there are series involved which means usually the better teams will win. Not to mention half the league goes to the playoffs in the NBA as the NFL doesn't have as many teams in their playoff.

The point of my argument is aside from the flukey nature of who wins the championship in the NFL, the same teams win each season about the same as they do in any other sport. New England, Seattle, Green Bay, Pittsburg and Indy for the last 12 years have damn near always been in the playoffs and hunt for the championship just like the Spurs, Lakers and Heat in the NBA or the Red Wings, Kings, Bruins in NHL or the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and Giants in the MLB.

I intentionally named the NHL & MLB along with the NBA because they all have series in the playoffs and that is why the same teams win championships in those sports. If the NFL had series it would be the exact same way because the same teams always make the playoffs in every sport.

It is as big as people say it is. New England, Seattle (they fell off for a minute, but these last 2 seasons made people forget), Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Indy like you said. But what about Denver? Baltimore? New Orleans? Chicago? Atlanta? Giants? San Fran? Texans? Jets? All teams that looked like they had a LEGIT chance at being a SB contender within the past few seasons. That's 14 teams! Name me the 14 NBA teams that fall in the same category? Even if an NFL team only gets hot for a couple years (Like the Jets, and Texans), it's still numerous teams that are SB contenders. The NBA doesn't have teams stepping it up like that to be contenders, even if it's for a brief time.

I'm not saying the NFL is full of decade long power houses. I'm saying it has a decent number of teams each year that are SB contenders. And those contenders are more than just the year-after-year power houses.

Pretty much the crux of my argument is if the same teams are winning their division or attending the playoffs over and over again, how is that parity?

The NFL seems to have more parity because of the 1 and done playoff system but for the most part the same teams are always in the playoffs (which is SB contender ship, due to the flukey 1 & done system) and I pointed that out with my 2nd post in this thread informing everyone about the division winners over the past 12 seasons.

You actually laughed at the facts I dropped about the same teams winning the divisions and making the playoffs over and over though.

Seattle won the NFC West 6 times and made the playoffs 8 over the past 12 seasons. That isn't really falling off and being the now team. B-More was another one of the teams that was great over the 12 year period and was a constant playoff team along with some of the other teams you posted above.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NFL
    I Like football a lot but I truly love basketball overall.

Basketball is just easier to explain to people and more entertaining to follow. I understand why most like the NFL though and it is because it's less games in the season which put more emphasis on each game.

I think it's funny that people try to say it's more parity in the NFL as opposed to the NBA because in both sports you always get the same teams that are competitive. What saves the NFL from having the same champions every year is injuries and 1 and done playoffs, which is why my favorite sporting spectacle is the NCAA basketball tournament. It's perfect because it's 1 and done and basketball is the only team sport where 1 player can drastically effect the outcome of a game.

I forget how long the streak was, but 5 of the 12 playoff teams weren't in the playoffs the previous year in the NFL for a lot of years. Look back a few years and people weren't checking for the Broncos, 9ers, Seahawks, Bengals, Panthers, Chiefs. The Steelers, Giants, Ravens, Texans, and Falcons have all fallen off recently. The NFC West went from a laughing stock to the Deepest division in the league. So I would say the NFL changes more than you give it credit for.

The teams with well run front offices in any sport always remain in the hunt year in and year out. The Pats, Steelers, Giants, Ravens have dipped a little bit but it isn't all that serious because it will not be for long. LOL. They have continuity at the ownership,front office and coaching staff which is why they might go through a dry spell but they will bounce back quick.

To hammer home my point, since 2002 (when the division were split into 4 for each conference) Green Bay has won the NFC North 7 times, Philly has won the NFC East 6 times, Seattle has won the NFC West 6 times, Pittsburg has won the AFC North 6 times, Indy has won the AFC South 8 times and New England has dominated the AFC East 10 times out of 12 seasons. The NFC South and AFC West have been the most competitive divisions out of these last 12 seasons.

I'm not going to count playoff appearances which would prove even more that the same teams win in the NFL just like any other sport because a lot of the teams who dominated their divisions during this 12 year stretch still made the playoffs as wildcards win they didn't win the division.

In that time Green Bay has 1 ring, Philly has 0, Seattle has 1, Pittsburgh has 2, Indy has 1, and NE has 2. In that same time in the NBA Spurs have 3, Lakers have 2, Heat have 3. The 3 teams I named have 2 more rings than the 6 you named.

To hammer home my point the NBA has had 8 teams win the championship the past 30 years. The NFL has had 8 teams win in the past 10 years.
    But you're up here talking about division champs...

You missed my point completely. SMH.

I'm pointing out that parity isn't as huge as NFL fans make it out to be. The NBA has the same teams winning championships because there are series involved which means usually the better teams will win. Not to mention half the league goes to the playoffs in the NBA as the NFL doesn't have as many teams in their playoff.

The point of my argument is aside from the flukey nature of who wins the championship in the NFL, the same teams win each season about the same as they do in any other sport. New England, Seattle, Green Bay, Pittsburg and Indy for the last 12 years have damn near always been in the playoffs and hunt for the championship just like the Spurs, Lakers and Heat in the NBA or the Red Wings, Kings, Bruins in NHL or the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals and Giants in the MLB.

I intentionally named the NHL & MLB along with the NBA because they all have series in the playoffs and that is why the same teams win championships in those sports. If the NFL had series it would be the exact same way because the same teams always make the playoffs in every sport.

It is as big as people say it is. New England, Seattle (they fell off for a minute, but these last 2 seasons made people forget), Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Indy like you said. But what about Denver? Baltimore? New Orleans? Chicago? Atlanta? Giants? San Fran? Texans? Jets? All teams that looked like they had a LEGIT chance at being a SB contender within the past few seasons. That's 14 teams! Name me the 14 NBA teams that fall in the same category? Even if an NFL team only gets hot for a couple years (Like the Jets, and Texans), it's still numerous teams that are SB contenders. The NBA doesn't have teams stepping it up like that to be contenders, even if it's for a brief time.

I'm not saying the NFL is full of decade long power houses. I'm saying it has a decent number of teams each year that are SB contenders. And those contenders are more than just the year-after-year power houses.

Pretty much the crux of my argument is if the same teams are winning their division or attending the playoffs over and over again, how is that parity?

The NFL seems to have more parity because of the 1 and done playoff system but for the most part the same teams are always in the playoffs (which is SB contender ship, due to the flukey 1 & done system) and I pointed that out with my 2nd post in this thread informing everyone about the division winners over the past 12 seasons.

You actually laughed at the facts I dropped about the same teams winning the divisions and making the playoffs over and over though.

Seattle won the NFC West 6 times and made the playoffs 8 over the past 12 seasons. That isn't really falling off and being the now team. B-More was another one of the teams that was great over the 12 year period and was a constant playoff team along with some of the other teams you posted above.

The playoffs can just mean you're in a weak division. It shows dominance over 3 teams, not dominance over the league. Seattle won the NFC West with a 7-9 record a few years ago. And the NFL had a 16 year run with at least 5 new teams in the playoffs each year. So the playoff field does change a good bit each year, even though some top teams are there consistently.

What fluke champions are you talking about? It seems to me like the better team has been winning. Even in the Giants/Pats Super Bowl which is considered one of the biggest upsets, the Giants looked like the better team. Their front 4 dominated the game. I laughed at the division winner because it only shows how 1 team performed vs 3, in a 32 team league. It's looking at the small picture IMO. I was talking NBA teams dominating the league, you were talking NFL teams dominating 3 teams.

Seattle had 4 straight losing seasons (1 won the division because the division used to be really sorry), before these past 2 years. I'm wrong in saying 4 straight losing seasons is falling off for a minute?
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBA
    Love ball, I like football.

I'll say this though, it takes a different type of person to play football at the highest level. They gladiators, not you punters or FG kickers
  • OhPee
    OhPee Members Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    NBA
    Love both......but being a Lakers fan is a culture in itself so I'm into that league more overall. I live in L.A. and they don't play the Packers on TV as much so that sucks that I can't watch them.

I hate the 8 month off-season with Football. And the fact that you have to wait 2 weeks after the Conference Championship for the Super Bowl.....and in the middle of that is a whack ass Pro Bowl.
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im starting to dislike the nfl a little bit more each year. 5 years from now all celebrations will be banned, and a high five will cost you a 5 yard penalty. lol
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well maybe not the nfl, but the people who run it. but i guess thats most professional sports.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    NFL
    NHL is better than the NBA ......i just started watching hockey yesterday.....and im lovin it....Im just not interested in the NBA anymore

S7zoZ.gif

That crakkka ?

@‌TRILLip Brooks so the nba ain't about that crakka ? ?

Crakkas think they own plantations not NBA teams

LA Clippers Owner Tells Girlfriend Not To Bring Black People To Games (AUDIO)

n-DONALD-STERLING-large570.jpg
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBA
    NBA is the better league but the playoffs it's NHL>>NBA>>NFL
  • scrapper1
    scrapper1 Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBA
    Prefer NCAA FB over NFL...

NBA is my favorite sport to watch especially the playoffs when everyone plays defense...
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    NFL
    achewon87 wrote: »

NBA is my favorite sport to watch especially the playoffs when everyone plays defense...

NCAA Football is trash for 50% of the games. The title game was dope. But even some of the SEC matchups last year were underwhelming. NCAA Football would be dope if every team didn't have 4 plus cupcake games against inferior talent. Every NFL game weather your the best team or the worse team you can win and is worth watching. The signifigance of the regular season is great but the quality of play of the average game is not up to par with the scool spirit/fanfare.

And for the same prices for these rivalry games (even when both teams have off years) you could buy seats to a top 5 nfl reg season game or playoff game.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBA
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    NHL is better than the NBA ......i just started watching hockey yesterday.....and im lovin it....Im just not interested in the NBA anymore

S7zoZ.gif

That crakkka ?

@‌TRILLip Brooks so the nba ain't about that crakka ? ?

Crakkas think they own plantations not NBA teams

LA Clippers Owner Tells Girlfriend Not To Bring Black People To Games (AUDIO)

n-DONALD-STERLING-large570.jpg

Hockey is still wack
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NFL
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    achewon87 wrote: »

NCAA Football is trash for 50% of the games. The title game was dope. But even some of the SEC matchups last year were underwhelming. NCAA Football would be dope if every team didn't have 4 plus cupcake games against inferior talent. Every NFL game weather your the best team or the worse team you can win and is worth watching. The signifigance of the regular season is great but the quality of play of the average game is not up to par with the scool spirit/fanfare.

And for the same prices for these rivalry games (even when both teams have off years) you could buy seats to a top 5 nfl reg season game or playoff game.

True. Teams getting blown out by 35+ points is wack as ? .
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NFL
    NFL Draft is by far superior to any other draft in sports...
  • OhPee
    OhPee Members Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBA
    I bet the NFL Draft gets higher ratings than any NHL Playoff game.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    NHL, but i'll pick the NBA as my number two. NFL can get the ? outta here with their ? football.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    OhPee wrote: »
    I bet the NFL Draft gets higher ratings than any NHL Playoff game.

Still the NHL is way more intense though.
  • RAPH
    RAPH Members Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBA
    TBH, Even though I consider myself a ? NBA fan, I actually rarely watch NBA games anymore, and as far as the NFL, I usually only watch the Superbowl.

I used to watch basketball more ? during the 90's and the last decade when Jordan was playing. Other than that, I was a diehard Pistons fan of course being that that's my local team.

But the NBA has become too superstar oriented for me, watching the Pistons go to the finals in 04 and 05 with technically no superstar was beautiful to watch, especially when they were beating superstar teams.

I loved the Pistons so much I would watch all 82 games every year, BUT... watching Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith this year literally killed my passion for the Pistons so to speak. In a sense I feel like I'm boycotting the team until we get rid of those bums.
  • RAPH
    NBA
    These days other than keeping up with games on cheap seats and cracking jokes about the league, I'll periodically check box scores instead of actually watching games. If it turns out to be a close game with a minute or so left, I'll turn it on and check it out. For example, I turned to the Blazers vs. Rockets game just in time to witness Damien Lillard hit that incredible game winnig shot with 0.9 seconds left. Other than that, I simply only watch the "big" games, or the Finals these days.

It's kind of sad really, but playing NBA 2K14 while benching Jennings and Smith while beating superstar cheeser teams online keeps me satisfied for now as far as NBA entertainment is concerned.
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    RAPH wrote: »
    TBH, Even though I consider myself a ? NBA fan, I actually rarely watch NBA games anymore, and as far as the NFL, I usually only watch the Superbowl.

I used to watch basketball more ? during the 90's and the last decade when Jordan was playing. Other than that, I was a diehard Pistons fan of course being that that's my local team.

But the NBA has become too superstar oriented for me, watching the Pistons go to the finals in 04 and 05 with technically no superstar was beautiful to watch, especially when they were beating superstar teams.

I loved the Pistons so much I would watch all 82 games every year, BUT... watching Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith this year literally killed my passion for the Pistons so to speak. In a sense I feel like I'm boycotting the team until we get rid of those bums.

If you are bored with both then check out NHL/AHL.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NFL

lol this post applies to me too, Ive watched like 3 Pistons games total over the past 3 seasons, ? is painful to watch
  • BlackThor356
    BlackThor356 Members Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭
    NBA
    love the sport of football much more, but as a league the nba is far superior
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [img]https://scontent-a-mia.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10325540_751985441508191_244098819384074489_n.jpg[/img]
  • RAPH
    NBA
    [img]https://scontent-a-mia.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10325540_751985441508191_244098819384074489_n.jpg[/img]

Crazy world we live in smh
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBA

i feel the exact same way about everything in this post.. I figured maybe it was just getting older and having more ? to do than back in the day.. but this sums up exactly i been feeling the past few years..